Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I would give so much for DE just ONCE to go through and clean up the codex.

anarchy753

I know it's not as cut and dry as "just check that all the enemies spawn and that there aren't any bugged entries in there," but the codex is just forever a second thought and has been in a bad state for years straight.

First, bugged entries, and enemies which do not exist. There are entries for the Fortress Scanner which scans as a different object. There is a Corpus entry for Shield Hellion Dargyn which obviously does not exist as it is a Grineer unit. Deimos Arcana cleared out a few non-existent entries, but left Deimos Swarm Mutalist Moa and it's eximus which do not exist. In the items section, there's STILL an entry for the Infested Tumor which was only scannable through a tiny gap in a wall in the Jordas Verdict map. Jordas Verdict has been gone for three years and this entry has never been corrected by removal as it is a duplicate of the real Infested Tumor. There's also a lot of objects like Fortified Glass from reworked tilesets that no longer exist in the game.

Secondly, inaccessible entries. The first three of these are very simple, 3 enemies that only exist within the Sands of Inaros quest; Tomb Guardian, Tomb Protector, and Tomb Protector Effigy. There is no reason at this point that the last 3 quests (Vor's Prize, Sands of Inaros and Hidden Messages) should not be replayable like all the rest. On top of them, there's also the Artificer, Carabus and Datalyst. Ever heard of them? Likely not since they only existed in Operation: Shadow Debt which took place five years ago! There's also the Nightwatch Carrier, an enemy in the Nightwatch group who carries batteries for excavation missions. As there's no Nightwatch excavation mission, it does not appear. There's probably a lot of other time-limited enemies as well but if there are, I was around for them. Nightwave enemies also fall into this category.

Third, ridiculous enemies. Most of these are eximus units. There is simply no reason for certain enemies to have such restrictive spawning rules, or require straight up godly RNG to ever appear. They don't drop any special items, they don't present a significant challenge for the vast majority of players, so there's no reason to add an enemy that is so rare 99.99% of players will never even see one. All it exists for its to irritate people who want to complete the codex. There are at least 2 that spring to mind; Jackal Eximus can only spawn on the Orb Vallis, ONLY during thermia fractures, and only when spawned by "burps" produced by putting multiple coolant into one fracture, AND only when the alert is maxed out. Have you ever tried fiding a group that will agree not to break beacons? It's impossible. The other is the Bailiff Eximus. 2, that's right 2, Bailiffs spawn on the Assault map on the Kuva Fortress. 1 on the spy mission. The odds that either are eximus are exorbitantly low. The only way to farm these in a sane manner is to wait for one of these two missions to appear as an eximus fortress modified sortie stage. That's once a year if you're lucky.

Fourth, missing basic checks before patches release. With Deimos Arcana as an example, Deimos Leaper was added to the codex despite its spawns being broken for months and it no longer appears on the drift. Jugulus Eximus was added to the codex and it does not seem to appear anywhere after many hours doing nothing except hunting for it under various conditions. In fact during surface bounties, none of the new eximus units spawn at all. Just simple checks like these go by the wayside. "We added something, does it actually show up in the game, ever?" For further examples, we can look to the Vapos Aquila, Vapos Condor Dropship and Vapos Condor Elite Dropship, all of which broke and stopped spawning weeks after their introduction and were ignored for a year and a half or more until being fixed in the Deimos patch. Misery was also never returned with Acolytes for many years until he was added to Steel Path.

Fifth, missing entries for "objects," countless objects get scanned every time by Helios because they do not have a codex entry. Most notable is basically everything that exists on the Jupiter tileset.

I know for many players the codex is not important, nor is it a priority. However, it also isn't particularly difficult to maintain. Most of these issues have been raised a number of times, most of these enemy spawns get called out pretty damn fast, the issue is nobody bothers to fix it. It sucks to put a lot of time into the game to have a complete collection of all the enemy and object data, only to be left with an unsatisfying pile at the bottom of impossible, bugged entries, and the simulacrum pointing out you can't spawn enemies because DE have never given you a chance to scan them.

nice as it would be, the codex is pretty low on the priority list, and most people have given up trying to complete it now. I do think they should bring back some of these enemies though:

- the Corpus Shield Dargyn entry is obviously a bug, and could be fixed. obviously fix non-existent enemeis as well.

- Jordas Golem assets could be moved to Deimos and Cambion Drift. 

- make ALL quests replayable. I already got scans for Inaros' quest enemies, but it would also be cool if Mars had a new "Shrine to Inaros" tile, where the Effigy enemies could appear as a neutral party, attacking both Grineer and Tenno.

- Carabus IIRC can be scanned in Rathuum. I would Like Artificer and Datalysts back, perhaps they could appear within Spy Vaults (Datalysts sound more like techy bois than soldiers)

- regarding Nightwatch enemeis, I've always said they should have a random chance to be deployed in Grineer missions above a certain level if you leave the alarms on for too long. a Nightwatch Commander would talk saying something like "reinforcements inbound! find and kill that Tenno!" and then a group of Nightwatch troops would appear. 

- Bailiffs should also be added as a Grineer counterpart to Bursas, or have them guarding Grineer Caches in Sabotage missions.

- Jackals could be deployed as an alternative to Bursas on certain Corpus tilesets (they need to fit in the room.)

- finally, allow ALL enemies to spawn in the Simulacrum regardless of Codex Progress. they are still limited in Level cap by the player's MR, and it would also give players a chance to fight enemies they may not have seen before. 

52 минуты назад, (PSN)robotwars7 сказал:

- regarding Nightwatch enemeis, I've always said they should have a random chance to be deployed in Grineer missions above a certain level if you leave the alarms on for too long. a Nightwatch Commander would talk saying something like "reinforcements inbound! find and kill that Tenno!" and then a group of Nightwatch troops would appear. 

you can scan them in baro mission that you need to buy from him

The codex needs a full redesign in my opinion. I feel like it should have almost all the information of the wiki with all enemy information to boot.

Scanning an enemy fully should give a +50% mod drop chance or 10%  final damage boost to that specific enemy to encourage scanning, but not really make it required to play. 

You shouldn't need to scan an enemy to get the information you want on it. You end up looking up that information just to scan it lol.

Drop chances need to be on items in the codex.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb anarchy753:

The other is the Bailiff Eximus. 2, that's right 2, Bailiffs spawn on the Assault map on the Kuva Fortress. 1 on the spy mission. The odds that either are eximus are exorbitantly low. The only way to farm these in a sane manner is to wait for one of these two missions to appear as an eximus fortress modified sortie stage. That's once a year if you're lucky.

I agree with everything except this.

The Baliff Eximus codex entry is not really hard to get, it just seems that barely anyone knows how to do it. Thats why I wrote a small tutorial on its wiki page about a month ago.

The conditions I try to explain may appear to be very specific. This is because while other options exist, I felt those were more time consuming.

But since basically everyone believes this codex entry would be almost impossible to get, its obvious that there is a need for improvement.

4 hours ago, Terroriced said:

I agree with everything except this.

The Baliff Eximus codex entry is not really hard to get, it just seems that barely anyone knows how to do it. Thats why I wrote a small tutorial on its wiki page about a month ago.

The conditions I try to explain may appear to be very specific. This is because while other options exist, I felt those were more time consuming.

But since basically everyone believes this codex entry would be almost impossible to get, its obvious that there is a need for improvement.

Oh so you're the one who wasted like 3 hours of my time last year before I gave up and just waited for the sortie.

12 hours ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

Carabus IIRC can be scanned in Rathuum.

No gear items in Rathuum. Can't scan them. Same for the deployable roller turrets that one Executioner puts out.

11 hours ago, Merrcenary said:

you can scan them in baro mission that you need to buy from him

That doesn't help the issue of the Nightwatch Power Carrier, since it isn't an Excavation mission.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb anarchy753:

Oh so you're the one who wasted like 3 hours of my time last year before I gave up and just waited for the sortie.

I dont know what you did last year, but my wiki post is from October 2020. Also I'm not the first one to write some useful information on the wiki. There are posts from other players on that topic from 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016...

I did merely find out how to turn the spy mission into an "endless" mission and add a little more information, which did speed up the strategy that other players created.

You still have to meet a lot of different conditions, which makes your failure very understandable. I agree that no codex entry should be this hard to get.

Just now, Terroriced said:

I dont know what you did last year, but my wiki post is from October 2020. Also I'm not the first one to write some useful information on the wiki. There are posts from other players on that topic from 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016...

I did merely find out how to turn the spy mission into an "endless" mission and add a little more information, which did speed up the strategy that other players created.

You still have to meet a lot of different conditions, which makes your failure very understandable. I agree that no codex entry should be this hard to get.

Ah, well that information was definitely around way before October. And frankly it's a terrible method for spawning them.

hace 18 horas, anarchy753 dijo:

I know it's not as cut and dry as "just check that all the enemies spawn and that there aren't any bugged entries in there," but the codex is just forever a second thought and has been in a bad state for years straight.

First, bugged entries, and enemies which do not exist. There are entries for the Fortress Scanner which scans as a different object. There is a Corpus entry for Shield Hellion Dargyn which obviously does not exist as it is a Grineer unit. Deimos Arcana cleared out a few non-existent entries, but left Deimos Swarm Mutalist Moa and it's eximus which do not exist. In the items section, there's STILL an entry for the Infested Tumor which was only scannable through a tiny gap in a wall in the Jordas Verdict map. Jordas Verdict has been gone for three years and this entry has never been corrected by removal as it is a duplicate of the real Infested Tumor. There's also a lot of objects like Fortified Glass from reworked tilesets that no longer exist in the game.

Secondly, inaccessible entries. The first three of these are very simple, 3 enemies that only exist within the Sands of Inaros quest; Tomb Guardian, Tomb Protector, and Tomb Protector Effigy. There is no reason at this point that the last 3 quests (Vor's Prize, Sands of Inaros and Hidden Messages) should not be replayable like all the rest. On top of them, there's also the Artificer, Carabus and Datalyst. Ever heard of them? Likely not since they only existed in Operation: Shadow Debt which took place five years ago! There's also the Nightwatch Carrier, an enemy in the Nightwatch group who carries batteries for excavation missions. As there's no Nightwatch excavation mission, it does not appear. There's probably a lot of other time-limited enemies as well but if there are, I was around for them. Nightwave enemies also fall into this category.

Third, ridiculous enemies. Most of these are eximus units. There is simply no reason for certain enemies to have such restrictive spawning rules, or require straight up godly RNG to ever appear. They don't drop any special items, they don't present a significant challenge for the vast majority of players, so there's no reason to add an enemy that is so rare 99.99% of players will never even see one. All it exists for its to irritate people who want to complete the codex. There are at least 2 that spring to mind; Jackal Eximus can only spawn on the Orb Vallis, ONLY during thermia fractures, and only when spawned by "burps" produced by putting multiple coolant into one fracture, AND only when the alert is maxed out. Have you ever tried fiding a group that will agree not to break beacons? It's impossible. The other is the Bailiff Eximus. 2, that's right 2, Bailiffs spawn on the Assault map on the Kuva Fortress. 1 on the spy mission. The odds that either are eximus are exorbitantly low. The only way to farm these in a sane manner is to wait for one of these two missions to appear as an eximus fortress modified sortie stage. That's once a year if you're lucky.

Fourth, missing basic checks before patches release. With Deimos Arcana as an example, Deimos Leaper was added to the codex despite its spawns being broken for months and it no longer appears on the drift. Jugulus Eximus was added to the codex and it does not seem to appear anywhere after many hours doing nothing except hunting for it under various conditions. In fact during surface bounties, none of the new eximus units spawn at all. Just simple checks like these go by the wayside. "We added something, does it actually show up in the game, ever?" For further examples, we can look to the Vapos Aquila, Vapos Condor Dropship and Vapos Condor Elite Dropship, all of which broke and stopped spawning weeks after their introduction and were ignored for a year and a half or more until being fixed in the Deimos patch. Misery was also never returned with Acolytes for many years until he was added to Steel Path.

Fifth, missing entries for "objects," countless objects get scanned every time by Helios because they do not have a codex entry. Most notable is basically everything that exists on the Jupiter tileset.

I know for many players the codex is not important, nor is it a priority. However, it also isn't particularly difficult to maintain. Most of these issues have been raised a number of times, most of these enemy spawns get called out pretty damn fast, the issue is nobody bothers to fix it. It sucks to put a lot of time into the game to have a complete collection of all the enemy and object data, only to be left with an unsatisfying pile at the bottom of impossible, bugged entries, and the simulacrum pointing out you can't spawn enemies because DE have never given you a chance to scan them.

Wait what? Misery was included with SP acolytes??

15 hours ago, Voltage said:

The codex needs a full redesign in my opinion. I feel like it should have almost all the information of the wiki with all enemy information to boot.

Scanning an enemy fully should give a +50% mod drop chance or 10%  final damage boost to that specific enemy to encourage scanning, but not really make it required to play. 

You shouldn't need to scan an enemy to get the information you want on it. You end up looking up that information just to scan it lol.

Drop chances need to be on items in the codex.

This here is important and we have been saying this for years. I wish DE wouldn't be stubborn about this decision it's really important. You really don't want new players constantly going to google it's not good game design.

vapos aquila, vapos condor dropship, and vapos elite condor dropship will spawn on jupiter.  go to ananke, wait a minute, then go get a cap.  within the next 30 sec one of those will spawn in the open air location.  however, be warned that vapos elite condor dropship has about a 5% chance to show up  -..-.  i'm currently at 6/10 for those, having tried for over 4+ hours total time with aborting and retrying during moments of multitasking social stuff online while not actually playing for fun

and i agree on so many of the ridiculous impossible ad old scans still sitting there blacked out.  i even recall there being a specific defense core only scannable during vor quest i once paid a newbie to take me along with to get once long ago

8 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

No gear items in Rathuum. Can't scan them. Same for the deployable roller turrets that one Executioner puts out.

You don't need that. Everything you kill in Rathuum will give their scans. Same goes for the Index too.

Yeah, as a somewhat new player that's only been around for a few years and whom is normally a collector in games, its aggravating looking in the codex and seeing entries for seemingly impossible to scan targets. Or things that you have one chance to scan and can never find again once you complete that task or event. Would be nice if inaccessible scans were just removed from the codex altogether or the targets be made accessible though some means.

21 hours ago, anarchy753 said:

You can't scan the Carabus in Rathuum, even with Synoid Heliocor.

As I said, just kill the Carabus. Or are you saying even killing it doesn't give a scan? If so, that's yet another Codex oversight.

Archived