Recent Sword & Shield Deimos Arcana Update feedback, from a Sigma & Octanis main

Vypor

EDIT: This may qualify as a weapon feedback thread instead, but I posted it here as it pertains to the animation changes of Sword & Shield shield-throw mechanics. Do feel free to move it to Weapons feedback if it is more appropriate there.

Salutations, it is rare that I make a topic, but in this situation, I feel it warranted. So allow me to start off by stating that I do in fact understand that these following changes were made due to the Nightwave sword, Vitrica. Said changes make sense for Vitrica, not as much however for Sword & Shield.

So with the addition of Vitrica, you can tap melee while midair to throw a projectile to glass enemies near the impact site, and then follow up by doing a aerial slam to shatter them. Cool, makes sense. Sigma & Octanis, and Cobra & Crane functioned differently however. If you aimed above 45 degrees or so, you would throw the shield with a light home in effect on enemies. (Or your own cat or allies' pets/sentinels for WHATEVER REASON. But I digress.) Now if you aimed BELOW that, then you would instead do a melee slam, an easy, fast way to get yourself right in melee range to start wailing on enemies. The shield throw normally makes more sense in a horizontal sense, as it doesn't actually deal a lot of damage, and you're typically singling out an enemy in front of you for the shield throw stun that opens them to a finisher. This is a feature that is rarely used or needed, so for the most part, you can forego it, which the vast majority of people did.

Now, here's where things changed. Deimos Arcana. With the addition of Vitrica, Sigma & Octanis, and Cobra & Crane now throw the shield when you're midair, EVERY TIME. If you're aiming to the side, up, down, doesn't matter, every direction while you are midair throws the shield. This may not sound like a bad thing, but it is. Vitrica was built for slam attacks following the glassing projectile, that's the whole gimmick there. But Neither S&O/C&C do, and their special finisher stun only affects a single target. They're faster melee, and so promote a faster playstyle.

I ADORED that faster playstyle, and fell in love with Sigma & Octanis. But now, it throws the shield EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I don't NEED to throw the shield, nor do I WANT to. What I want when I'm aiming down at a group of enemies is not to throw a shield that hits one enemy and deals a mediocre amount of damage and stun. I WANT to slam down in the middle of the group so I can begin rip and tearing immediately with my high attack speed melee weapon. And I know, through the perfectly fine design of S&O before, that if I want to do a finisher attack on an enemy, I'll just get on their level and hit them with it. Simple, done.

Additionally, it is a useful tool just for getting around too. Sometimes there is no enemy where you're aiming, but you see them around the corner on the minimap, and so to get to them sooner, you jump slam down to it. In that situation, why would I bother throwing my shield first? There's nothing to hit. It's the same logic as firing my gun at a corner with nobody there when I know an enemy WILL be there soon. I hit nothing, and wasted a shot and time that could have been used to get into position.

As it stands, now I am required to throw the shield, and then after a second and a half or so, my character begins a jump slam attack, usually after I've already sailed over the target area that I needed to be at that second and a half ago that it took for me to throw my shield that more likely than not, hit the ground near the enemies and wasted my time. But now even the jump slam attack seems to have this bizarre floaty/drifting effect that sends me even FURTHER off course and descends at nearly half the speed that it used to. Suddenly now, jump slam attacks with S&O/C&C are no longer an efficient way to traverse the combat zone and get where you need to be killing, they are now an inconvenience that makes it harder to be efficient.

DE, I am begging you, PLEASE REVERT THIS CHANGE for Sigma & Octanis, and Cobra & Crane. I know this is only two weapons, but for anyone who loved those weapons and used them a ton, it is an earthshattering change to the pace of melee combat using those weapons. It does NOT make sense for those melee weapons at all.
As of posting this, I have 625,075 kills on my Sigma & Octanis, and I have loved nearly every second of it. This mechanic change has added a "feature" to the weapon that is more of a chore than you may have predicted.

Thank you for your time,

Vypor

10 hours ago, Perfectly_Framed_Waifu said:

PC player here, and I can still tap-slam with my S&O. Is this still messed up for you, and what platform are you on? This might be a bug.

This is indeed still the case for me. It will throw the shield, then my character will do a jump slam animation while floating through the air for a second, before then finally initiating the jump slam. Or sometimes it'll just throw the shield and never initiate the jump slam at all. I don't understand how the jump slams have suddenly become so broken.

Yeah, I managed to do a throw into jump on a few occasions, but couldn't intentionally replicate it. I dunno if you're doing something I don't or vice versa, but there's definitely something funky going on when it only happens for one PC player. I'd suggest uploading a video on Reddit, both to see if anyone else has the same issue, and to be able to link it in this thread or a bug thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

same here, got an amazing riven which made me try the weapon, and it's pretty bad when you're in the air. I just wait to land before attacking.

It would be great if they could rework the shield throw (and maybe the damage, because right now it's pitiful). They already have 2 ways in the game to throw a projectile with a melee attack:

- jump, aim and melee (Contagion, Vitrica)

- charge the melee attack (Glaive)

This would allow to restore the slam attack, like any other weapon. And the throw on the ground would also be great.

Bumping this thread as well. Love the Cobra & Crane and feel that it is very clunky in its current iteration. Ground slam is not reliable unless I tab into melee mode, which requires tapping and holding a key for a moment before it activates. Then it throws the shield before slamming, which is another delay. I then can’t quickly switch back to firing with a simple right click to zoom in because the weapon blocks instead, so I have to tab back to primary weapon to fire. All these extra little steps are very frustrating when running and gunning and severely reduces the fun factor of this weapon and its cousin, the Sigma & Octanis.

Please implement the previous mechanics for thrown sword and shields and provide a separate one for the Vitrica so they can all shine!

I’m also having the same problem. However, it goes a bit further. To me, the game is not recognizing a single attack input for the Sword and Shield. If I press the melee button once the frame will do a basic attack follow by a second attack, and the first will always ignore whichever command I’m using. So, if I try to do a slide attack the frame will first do a normal attack immediately followed by the slide attack. If I hold the right mouse button there will be a basic attack followed by the corresponding combo attack.

I’d imagine that’s the reason why the shield throw is always happening before the slam.

Can any of you confirm if the same thing is happening with the “double attack per input” thing?

• 2 months later...
On 2021-01-09 at 6:31 AM, Hadammants said:

I’m also having the same problem. However, it goes a bit further. To me, the game is not recognizing a single attack input for the Sword and Shield. If I press the melee button once the frame will do a basic attack follow by a second attack, and the first will always ignore whichever command I’m using. So, if I try to do a slide attack the frame will first do a normal attack immediately followed by the slide attack. If I hold the right mouse button there will be a basic attack followed by the corresponding combo attack.

I’d imagine that’s the reason why the shield throw is always happening before the slam.

Can any of you confirm if the same thing is happening with the “double attack per input” thing?

Yes I've noticed this as well. No matter what attack I start with, it always does like the three point starting attack, even when sliding. It's so irritating, and only adds to the frustration of the MANDATORY shield throw no matter the angle you're facing in the air.

• 1 month later...

Archived