A little dx12 feedback

Sepharoth

So far the only issue I have with running in dx12 is the stuttering due to the shaders being loaded in game. I wish you would just use the bulk shader load method until you figure out how to stop the stuttering. I read you didn't want to go that route but it would be better than the constant stuttering in game until it finally loads all the shaders for the mission. When the glass maker enemies appeared, the game came to a screeching halt for a few seconds until the shaders were loaded for that event. Long enough to be a little annoying anyway. 

I would rather it take a few seconds more to load into a mission while it loaded all the shaders than experience the stuttering in game I have now. Thanks.

IIRC it wasn't a case of loading in the shaders during mission load. It was a choice between loading all of them in when loading the game, which would take minutes, or loading them as they are called by the engine, which could be in a mission, on your orbiter, or anywhere. They went with the latter because they didn't want to have the game take an extremely long time to load after logging in.

1 hour ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

IIRC it wasn't a case of loading in the shaders during mission load. It was a choice between loading all of them in when loading the game, which would take minutes, or loading them as they are called by the engine, which could be in a mission, on your orbiter, or anywhere. They went with the latter because they didn't want to have the game take an extremely long time to load after logging in.

Thanks for that info. But I would rather the game take a bit longer to load than live with the stuttering in game. Besides, I am sure it couldn't be longer to load up than Destiny 2 and I live with that. I am sure they will figure something out because dx11 doesn't have the stuttering issue. 

13 hours ago, Sepharoth said:

Thanks for that info. But I would rather the game take a bit longer to load than live with the stuttering in game. Besides, I am sure it couldn't be longer to load up than Destiny 2 and I live with that. I am sure they will figure something out because dx11 doesn't have the stuttering issue. 

Well, the problem is that, last I checked, Warframe does not have a few shaders applied to everything. Just about every tileset has its own set of shaders (and there are a lot of tilesets), as well as enemies, weapons, frames, etc. all having various shaders. So it would probably take even longer than D2 to load the game if it loaded everything at start. And since most players aren't going to play every single tileset, use every single frame and weapon, or encounter every single enemy, taking a while to load shaders that won't be used doesn't fully make sense.

If DE really wanted to fix the issue, they would have to do a massive shader consolidation to reduce the number of different shaders in the game, but that would take weeks, if not possibly months, of dev time away from other things. Hopefully the optimizations they mentioned will come through soon to reduce the amount of stutter.

14 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

It only happens once. Once all of the shaders in the game files have been converted the stuttering will be gone.

Until they change some of the shaders, or the lighting engine gets tweaked again, or any other occasion that would alter the shaders in any way. And given how much they have been trying to update the lighting engine lately, that might be pretty often, at least for a little while.

11 hours ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

Well, the problem is that, last I checked, Warframe does not have a few shaders applied to everything. Just about every tileset has its own set of shaders (and there are a lot of tilesets), as well as enemies, weapons, frames, etc. all having various shaders. So it would probably take even longer than D2 to load the game if it loaded everything at start. And since most players aren't going to play every single tileset, use every single frame and weapon, or encounter every single enemy, taking a while to load shaders that won't be used doesn't fully make sense.

If DE really wanted to fix the issue, they would have to do a massive shader consolidation to reduce the number of different shaders in the game, but that would take weeks, if not possibly months, of dev time away from other things. Hopefully the optimizations they mentioned will come through soon to reduce the amount of stutter.

yes, the armor pieces for the arms and legs of the frame and some specific weapons are also having the same problem ... I tried to specify this in this topic below but I don't know if I managed to be clear.

I usually call materials instead of shaders, DE seems to work with different teams for each content that is released, this damages the visual aesthetics of some items and maps because it doesn’t look like a mess, there is no shader pattern, some steam items don’t use rules when producing, there are color overlays in some mappings and sometimes the reflection shader seems to fail when it is overlaid by others of reflection

• 2 weeks later...

Archived