Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should I try Elite Dangerous?

DrivaMain

Warframe is currently a bit stale and no huge content update until January and I want to play something else so I don't transform to a whiny Veteran for a nice change of pace. Then I saw Elite Dangerous for sale. Should I give it a shot? I heard some called "What Warframe's Railjack combat should have been".

6 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Then I saw Elite Dangerous for sale. Should I give it a shot?

If you want to. I played it a bit a few years ago and didn't really like it. Now you really need to have all the expansions to enjoy it I am told.

11 minutes ago, krc473 said:

Now you really need to have all the expansions to enjoy it I am told.

The one singular expansion that was released more than a few years ago? :suspicion:

As for the game, I really enjoy it. Plenty of mysteries to partake in, very enjoyable combat and a good example of a continually progressing background story.

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

The one singular expansion that was released more than a few years ago? :suspicion:

4 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Well the expansion horizon got added to the base game I just checked.

Well, it has been a little while since I looked at it. But checking it out now I see that the expansion thing is not an issue.

I suppose my main issue was that I was expecting it to be similar to another space sim (Freelancer, old game). It wasn't.

7 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Okay, how is the new player experience? Is it Warframe bad?

That I cannot comment on. I haven't been a new player since 2014. I would check the forums, the game is free on Epic right now so the new player experience is a big talking point right now.

Making money is certainly about 20x easier than it was when I first started playing. As with Warframe though, you'll find that a lot of out of game sites are almost necessary. There's sites for trading, a database site that allows you to search for local stations based on what you're looking for, a site for planning ship builds and so on.

7 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

the game is free on Epic right now so

Not free anymore. 

Well I just purchased the game because steam sale is ending soon, I have 48 hours to see if I made the right decision to play this game. If not, then I can issue a refund.

1 minute ago, DrivaMain said:

Not free anymore. 

Well I just purchased the game because steam sale is ending soon, I have 48 hours to see if I made the right decision to play this game. If not, then I can issue a refund.

Ah, the point wasn't it's freeness, but rather the surge in new players :tongue:

Hope you enjoy it, it is a beautiful game at times.

34 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

I heard some called "What Warframe's Railjack combat should have been".

I've yet to play it, but from what I know, it's a whole different kettle of fish. Elite is much harder Sci-Fi when it comes to ship flight, mainly.  Railjack tries to lean in more into aspects of ship boarding and has elements of ground combat as well as dogfighting, whilst Elite's combat is all dogfights. 

It's kind of like comparing Vanquish and Doom Eternal. Both fast-paced shooters, but how they go about achieving it is so radically different that the overall experience can't really be compared past 'if you like going fast and shooting things, then both are probably going to be fun.'

10 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Railjack tries to lean in more into aspects of ship boarding and has elements of ground combat as well as dogfighting, whilst Elite's combat is all dogfights. 

Well the upcoming expansion coming to early 2021 will add ground combat. I will keep an eye on that.

2 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

Well the upcoming expansion coming to early 2021 will add ground combat. I will keep an eye on that.

Huh. So it will.

THAT reminds me of Spore's space stage and one of my disappointments with it as a kid. Hm.

I've also heard that one of their desires is being able to walk around your own ship, so maybe this is in prep for that. Damn, now I'm interested...

9 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I've also heard that one of their desires is being able to walk around your own ship, so maybe this is in prep for that. Damn, now I'm interested..

If this expansion is a success and the combat is fast paced. Warframe may just got itself another competitor. 

1 minute ago, DeMonkey said:

It is indeed.

If that's the case, Elite really would be competition for Railjack.

Again, good.

3 minutes ago, DeMonkey said:

Dog fights in zero g. Important distinction :wink:

I'd say Railjack is too, but that one time I wound up lacking an Archwing in space calls that into question.

Also, space apparently has a floor.

Archived