Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's a good trusty shotgun?

Crabopoulos-Michael

Question

Hey all. I want to get a good 'ol trusty shotty, something than can hold it's own in steel path and do "shotgun only" sorties and alerts. It's by far my least used weapon type so basically I've no idea what to go for.

I currently have:

• Normal corinth w/potato but no formas
  • Vaykor hek w/potato but no formas
  • Corinth prime no potato and no forma
  • Sobek, I don't have it yet but I have a riven for it

Should I settle for any of these or go for something else like the Arca Plasmor or the Exergis?

20 answers to this question

15 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

What's a good one? I'm getting bored of "shoot with status shotgun, then press the melee button a few times and disappear into a flurry of limbs until everything else dies". My next experiment was going to be Hunter Munitions Corinth Prime (and @(NSW)Spektr3 to keep this on-topic: your Corinth Prime should be fine as an all-purpose shotgun) but I'm in the market for a good rifle too

For rifles? I use 3 different rifles for Steel Path or other end-game content, that's the Kuva Quartakk, the Supra Vandal, and the Soma Prime - I have build all 3 with overclocked RoF and both the Quartaak and the Soma have really strong rivens as well. I also use the Imperator Vandal (archgun), which must be built with punch-thru (and high RoF) for terrestrial use. 

(as to earlier comment about my old notes for the Tigris, the notes are obviously from when I built it - the Tigris is still peerless (IMHO) for missions like Index runs and the Grendal no-mod missions).

EDIT: Actually I don't use the Soma Prime for Steel Path so much, but whatever I bring, I'm also using a secondary and melee...

Thanks a bunch guys! lots of good tips here, now I have a good list of shotties to go for.

Corinth prime seems like a good start, it's pretty reliable and since it's already sitting in my forge I may go with that. I'm also very interested in the Convectrix after watching some vids, so that may come next if I get a riven. Kuva kohm looks great too. Gosh, so many options, wish I had more time 😂

Have a good day mates!

My Corinth Prime clears enemies (not adding the level my flak kills at, fear the nerf  :) ) just using the flak fire (secondary) mode, it's fun to watch enemies melt once the explosion overhead goes off.

Another good one is the Hek for newer players or better once you get it the Vaykor Hek for larger mag and syndicate proc.

Exergis is another good one with the config to allow 2 in the mag and providing you can aim. ;) 

Tigris Prime and Sancti Tigris are good once you get familiar with their mechanics, plus Sancti Tigris will heal you when the Syndicate proc goes off.

Bubonico is a fun shotgun for secondary fire AOE, it's also reminds me sort of like a mini-me Shedu with the primary fire.

Sobek is another of my favourites great fun for low to mid levels with acid shells on it watching groups of enemies explode into pink mist, it suffers at high levels.

Catchmoon primary with a falloff range mod on it is awesome, I use it mainly in the Index.

Kuva Kohm is alright with an ammo creation mod on it, or you run out of ammo real quick.

There is a lot of good shotguns out there but some falloff at higher levels.

Think I've dribbled on for long enough, probably more I could add but memory is having a brainfart at present.

So in the end it comes down to what you have access to and what fits your play style. ;) 

4 hours ago, Aadi880 said:

However, while I have heard good things about the sobek

The sobek is a terrible option for high level, high armor content because it's power mainly comes from acid shells.  The issue with acid shells is you have to kill an enemy to cause the additional damage and getting that first kill on a mob can become very hard.  Don't even think about targeting a lone heavy unit with it.

My opinion on the sobek is that it tops out at sortie 2 level content and you can kind of stretch it into sortie 3 if you really feel the need.  Forget about SP and all that bonus EHP.

FWIW, the kuva kohm is my preferred shotgun.  But I'm kind of a spray and pray type player and I jumped on the kohm bandwagon very early when it was introduced to the game.

4 hours ago, Canach said:

I use rifles on Steel Path.

What's a good one? I'm getting bored of "shoot with status shotgun, then press the melee button a few times and disappear into a flurry of limbs until everything else dies". My next experiment was going to be Hunter Munitions Corinth Prime (and @(NSW)Spektr3 to keep this on-topic: your Corinth Prime should be fine as an all-purpose shotgun) but I'm in the market for a good rifle too

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Yoshimon1:

The new Bubonico is great, massive damage and AOE clouds as secondary fire.

ofc its great... ~160% status and can apply all 3 in no time with big aoe: heat+corr+viral !!!

and if u play SE: its has unlimited ammo. yes yes... hide in the corner and kill whole group with few hits. it takes to long? use primary fire with headshots.

1 hour ago, Canach said:

Dooood - I said, "my notes say 52k and 100% status" - my notes were pre-change, but overall status actually increased IIRC - the Tigris Prime is still a fantastic high damage, high status shotgun - its not "suffering" from the changes - it's fine. 

Having said that, I'm not trying to sell it - it's not for everybody. Also, I agree that the Kuva Kohm is pretty strong - I just didn't 'enjoy' it as much as a lot of people.

Your notes seem to be outdated by about 9 months. I was just looking for clarification what you were on about.

24 minutes ago, Wyrmius_Prime said:

My personal favorites are Kuva Kohm and Corinth Prime. Kuva Kohm by far performs the best in Steel Path.

What dark magic are using to turn 11.25% status into 100% after the shotgun status changes?

Dooood - I said, "my notes say 52k and 100% status" - my notes were pre-change, but overall status actually increased IIRC - the Tigris Prime is still a fantastic high damage, high status shotgun - its not "suffering" from the changes - it's fine. 

Having said that, I'm not trying to sell it - it's not for everybody. Also, I agree that the Kuva Kohm is pretty strong - I just didn't 'enjoy' it as much as a lot of people.

The Corinth is quite powerful for burst damage while not having the drawbacks of, say, an Exergis or Tigris. 

The new Bubonico I've heard nothing but good things about. 

The Kuva Drakgoon if you enjoy playing Mag or use Xata's Whisper can be extremely powerful. 

Tigris Series is currently suffering post status changes, and as such the Sancti Tigris is the best of the series.

The Kohm is also quite powerful, however it does have issues with ammo economy. 

If you want to count them, the Convectrix and Phantasma have enormous status potential and (currently) scale well into Steel Path if that's what you enjoy doing. 

I cleared most of SP with Vaykor Hek, my current favourite after status change nerfed Boar Prime.

Sancti Tigris and Exergis can be good if you don't mind reloading all the time.

Also check out the new infested hand-cannon shotgun, haven't fully built it yet, but so far it performs quite well.

My personal favorites are Kuva Kohm and Corinth Prime. Kuva Kohm by far performs the best in Steel Path.

48 minutes ago, Canach said:

Tigris Prime - it is wonderful

My notes say 52k with 100% status (potato, 1 forma), but I only use it in the Index - I use rifles on Steel Path.

What dark magic are using to turn 11.25% status into 100% after the shotgun status changes?

30 minutes ago, (NSW)Spektr3 said:

Hey all. I want to get a good 'ol trusty shotty, something than can hold it's own in steel path and do "shotgun only" sorties and alerts. It's by far my least used weapon type so basically I've no idea what to go for.

I currently have:

• Normal corinth w/potato but no formas
  • Vaykor hek w/potato but no formas
  • Corinth prime no potato and no forma
  • Sobek, I don't have it yet but I have a riven for it

Should I settle for any of these or go for something else like the Arca Plasmor or the Exergis?

Since you have Cornith Prime, and I myself having experience in using it, I think its a good idea for you to invest on it, compared to the other ones you have. However, while I have heard good things about the sobek, I don't have enough experience with it to form an opinion.

Any other shotgun I will recommend is the Exergis over the Arca. This shotgun is really a beast at applying slashes by pure status (+100% status chance). If you are going to steel path with it, take Mag. The innate punch through will allow the pellets to hit the same target again (applying the statuses again) when you couple it with magnetize. Essentially it becomes a blender.

Archived