General Bug Report Guidelines - Please Read ×

20 percent speed discrepancy between K-Drive and K-Drive skin.

Carter_DC

Seems like the velocipod skin is not just a skin.
Without mods or arcanes I measured a 20% speed discrepancy in  favor of the velocipod.
I recorded in captura mode but seems about the same in "real" Orb Vallis (without the hassle).

I know not many ppl care for daily scores on some random K-Drive race, but still, if that's not a bug (uh... pun ;)) and working as intended, it' should at least be displayed in game when you buy it from "Son". So that all players can know theses things.

Tested it for myself in Orb Valis and did a round from Fortuna entrance trough the enrichment labs past Transit Depot and then back to Fortuna keeping on one side of the road and both with and without the skin i went around in about 2:12 +- a few seconds but nothing that would indicate a 20% difference.
Did the same round not boosted and that took me around 2:35 with and without the skin.

I have the purple skin, which one did you test it with?

Dunno 'bout speed, but this "skin" certainly seems to have more than just visual effects.

I just went grinding up and down the pipe next to Fortuna a bit, both with and without the (Purple) skin,
and with the skin on I randomly stopped grinding (i.e. getting points) and way more easily slipped off entirely.

10 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

Dunno 'bout speed, but this "skin" certainly seems to have more than just visual effects.

I just went grinding up and down the pipe next to Fortuna a bit, both with and without the (Purple) skin,
and with the skin on I randomly stopped grinding (i.e. getting points) and way more easily slipped off entirely.

Yes that is how it felt to me as well, it's like the skin makes the board less accident prone.

I didn't noticed that and I was intrigued so I tested it too.

There is definitly a difference not only in speed. I'm doing my own testing on that race next to Fortuna, and yes, Vanilla K-drive is slower but more stable very stuck to the ground like it have a built in permanent Mag Locks , infested board looks to be an in between (just built this one). It feels different to vanilla, less sticked to the ground, -more agreable to ride to me- speed seems to be the same. Velocipod is indeed, a little bit faster but very slippery and floppy.

Since last week I had so much fun try harding the Deimos races to find the perfect strat. Due to it's slippery nature, it opens new crazy trajectories, new depth and fun to those new races (infested board seems to have the same-ish passive, to some extend, I need to explore more with this one to confirm it.) But if it offers an advantage on Deimos, it's not the same thing on Fortuna. Believe me, I tried. On most races, the "meta" will stay the same on Fortuna I think, the velocipod is way too unstable, bumping on everything, some rings are almost impossible to even catch*. When testing on that fortuna race -one of the easiest- I did a better score with the velocipod but I struggled way more to stay on that big pipe. Speed comes at a price ( and my Magus drive is only at rank 3, with a rank 5 arcane, it might be nearly uncontrolable, unless there is some soft-cap in K-drive speed. ) being the fastest isn't always the answer especially in narrow areas ( plus it needs verifications but since you're higher on your feet I would not be surprise if you hurt your head on stuff  you wouldn't if you were on a normal K-drive. Always love a good BONK! tho. Bonks are funny).

so in to my observations :

-Most of the time Velocipods have the advantage on Deimos.

-Most of the time normal boards have the advantage on Fortuna and with grinding and tricks.*

Lore-wise, it's coherent, after all the skin transform your Kdrive. I agree it should be written somewhere when something change even in an evasive way like for exemple : " transform your K-Drive to a velocipod, the fastest way to travel on Deimos. Careful, the mighty beast is not easy to tame " It does not even need to translate in stats and would not give too much work to our already very busy devs.  

I think changing the physics of Velocipods skin or wild ones would be a loss : animations and sensations on thoses are such A BLAST and add different and interesting dynamics.  But maybe boost up the normal k-drive a little bit wouldn't be a bad thing.  It would not be the first time a cosmetic add a bonus, a precedent has been set in the Kavasa prime collar Your Honor 🙈.

* So, looks like I was wrong on this one thanks @Carter_DC for letting me know. It do not trivialise races tho. If a speed and physics nerf happens, besided a few things here and there, as long as I max my magus, my strats should still be viable. but we would loose in terms of game feel. A fine trajectory will always prevail.

56 minutes ago, SuperFuret said:

it's not the same thing on Fortuna. Believe me, I tried. On most races, the "meta" will stay the same on Fortuna I think

Sry if I don't believe you cuz you tried,... We've been doing Orb Vallis races with the white velocipod and topping them for a few days now without any issue. 
I the caves you might be right about the head bump tho.

Il y a 8 heures, Carter_DC a dit :

Sry if I don't believe you cuz you tried,... We've been doing Orb Vallis races with the white velocipod and topping them for a few days now without any issue. 
I the caves you might be right about the head bump tho.

Ah I see. good to know. It's probably because I don't know Fortuna's races as much as you do. Surely normal K-drives should have a little speed boost, besides pure performance, it would greatly improve the sensations on it (for new players too). It will never replace archwings of course but a nicer feeling on K-drive might get a little bit more people to get into them, for racing or just wandering around. 

Archived