Jump to content

Modular Archwings: Where are they now?


MrWrightPlays

Recommended Posts

So, it's been a while since we've heard about these, at least as far as I can tell. With the Corpus Railjack expansion coming, along with the retirement of archwing nodes on the star chart, I wonder if DE is still hashing out some of the balance of this system or if they've dropped it. Anyone remember when the idea was last mentioned? I don't think I've heard about it in the last 5-6 months from anyone at DE, but I also don't keep up with absolutely all the streams they put out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly, I hope DE rethinks Modular Archwings. Modulars must be fully modular with swappable parts on command, as the current system is simply not sustainable long term. A couple stats change, and every Modular you own can be rendered obsolete. We saw a glimpse of this problem with primary Kitguns, and that is not the end of that problem if we continue getting "modular" items that have cemented part configurations with full Forma settings installed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Voltage said:

Honestly, I hope DE rethinks Modular Archwings. Modulars must be fully modular with swappable parts on command, as the current system is simply not sustainable long term. A couple stats change, and every Modular you own can be rendered obsolete. We saw a glimpse of this problem with primary Kitguns, and that is not the end of that problem if we continue getting "modular" items that have cemented part configurations with full Forma settings installed.

The final implementation of the Helminth system was basically the final nail in the coffin for your hopes and dreams. A system that is by design swappable "on the fly", and it costs resources. And the more often you do it in a day, the more resources it costs. DE do not want to give you fast swapping action, is the hard truth

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Modular archwings sound great in a dev stream but at the end of the day 90% of the player base is just going to build the amesha version of modular archwings to prevent getting shot in the face when they leave their railjacks.

31 minutes ago, Prexades said:

Modular Archwings were sacrificed on the altar of the great and mighty Necramechs.

I think DE totally blew it by not making nercamechs modular right out the door

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, minininja77 said:

I think DE totally blew it by not making nercamechs modular right out the door

Why? What do we gain by having modular anything? It's one - maybe two - optimal configurations that players will ever really use. "Modular" deceives you to think there's diversity when there isn't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrWrightPlays said:

So, it's been a while since we've heard about these, at least as far as I can tell. With the Corpus Railjack expansion coming, along with the retirement of archwing nodes on the star chart, I wonder if DE is still hashing out some of the balance of this system or if they've dropped it. Anyone remember when the idea was last mentioned? I don't think I've heard about it in the last 5-6 months from anyone at DE, but I also don't keep up with absolutely all the streams they put out.

Gone, like a fart in the wind, just like raids.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, nslay said:

Why? What do we gain by having modular anything? It's one - maybe two - optimal configurations that players will ever really use. "Modular" deceives you to think there's diversity when there isn't.

you mean one or two youtuber approved configurations right? Modular opens up build options for people who like to think for themselves, sure with the limit of 2 necramechs right now those options would be slim but hell players could put better mech together than DE did with the 2 we have right now. Sure most build will lean heavily the same but having options is nice 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, minininja77 said:

you mean one or two youtuber approved configurations right? Modular opens up build options for people who like to think for themselves, sure with the limit of 2 necramechs right now those options would be slim but hell players could put better mech together than DE did with the 2 we have right now.

No, I mean one or two mathematically optimal configurations. You know, get all the key numbers maxed to get the highest damage possible. The Warframe wiki makes it even easier by giving you a table that you can just glance at for the parts. This is not rocket science and anybody can do this.

It's the same with mods. It's an illusion of diversity and choice when there's only one or two optimal configurations. And again, if you know how the game works, you can find that optimal build very easily all by yourself. And then you can find complaints on the forum about how all the builds are the same even though there's probably a hundred mods to choose from!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Voltage said:

Honestly, I hope DE rethinks Modular Archwings. Modulars must be fully modular with swappable parts on command, as the current system is simply not sustainable long term. A couple stats change, and every Modular you own can be rendered obsolete. We saw a glimpse of this problem with primary Kitguns, and that is not the end of that problem if we continue getting "modular" items that have cemented part configurations with full Forma settings installed.

Agreed.  The instant nerf on primary kitguns made the investment feel bad.  I just grabbed the three easiest pieces for each of the new kitguns, mastered them, gilded them, and mastered them again.

 

"Modular" in this game is more trouble than it's worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrWrightPlays said:

Anyone remember when the idea was last mentioned?

a long-a$$ time ago. beyond that, I don't know exactly.

I'm guessing they'd want to package it with Corpus Railjack, since Railjack and Archwing are blended together in Railjack anyway. to be honest I only really use Archwing as a taxi on Open Worlds (though I like using the mech too) and in Railjack, so the actual powers of the Archwing never really see any use, so for me they can take as long as they need to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

The final implementation of the Helminth system was basically the final nail in the coffin for your hopes and dreams. A system that is by design swappable "on the fly", and it costs resources. And the more often you do it in a day, the more resources it costs. DE do not want to give you fast swapping action, is the hard truth

A system that lets you swap parts at a cost would be fine. Just make it cost some standing to regild it, I'd happily pay my fee to be able to upgrade my gear. It doesn't have to be full disassembly, either. If I make a dagger Zaw I don't mind if it's locked to always being a dagger. That's fine! But let me change out the handle or blade when a new one is released.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TARINunit9 said:

The final implementation of the Helminth system was basically the final nail in the coffin for your hopes and dreams. A system that is by design swappable "on the fly", and it costs resources. And the more often you do it in a day, the more resources it costs. DE do not want to give you fast swapping action, is the hard truth

Khm Railjack...

It's possible that archwing will be just like it. Get the parts from the missions, build them, use them.

And the mods will either stay or they will be turned into avionics. 

Warframes are a little bit different from these two systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Khm Railjack...

Even in Railjack they tried to limit swapping as much as possible: the valance fusion system for all the bonus stats. In order to swap between bonus stats, you have to flat-out own two copies of the wreckage that have the separate stats, or choose one to completely destroy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

a long-a$$ time ago. beyond that, I don't know exactly.

I'm guessing they'd want to package it with Corpus Railjack, since Railjack and Archwing are blended together in Railjack anyway. to be honest I only really use Archwing as a taxi on Open Worlds (though I like using the mech too) and in Railjack, so the actual powers of the Archwing never really see any use, so for me they can take as long as they need to.

Yeah, though hopefully once we get some proper variety in RJ missions (potentially with the Corpus RJ expansion), Archwing sees more of an expanded role in those mission types, especially as the old-school nodes are going into the garbage. Tighter space corridors which the RJ couldn't fit into come to mind, but I can't claim to know the minds at DE and what they end up doing with the system, can only hope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, minininja77 said:

... right now those options would be slim but hell players could put better mech together than DE did with the 2 we have right now ...

To further add to this... DE almost certainly doesn't balance all possible combination of parts (there are bad configurations). They're balancing against the optimal configurations of the parts. In a sense, when DE releases a new modular thing with lots of possible configurations, it's like they really just designed 1 or 2 new weapons (the optimal ones) hidden behind a puzzle of parts. In other words, the optimal build is something DE itself designed. Not the players...

So while it's nice to think that the players might have designed a better Necramech than Bonewidow or Voidrig in a hypothetical modular Necramech system, it's more likely that DE would have just made sure that the optimal configurations would make either the equivalent of Voidrig or Bonewidow by design.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...