Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are snipers and bows rifles?

(PSN)adachi_2

Well yes they're not but hear me out,so apparently you can get bow and sniper rivens from a RIFLE RIVEN and do give me the bullpoop 'that primarys are rifles' by following that logic shotguns are not primary because they they're separate,now DE 3 options 1 remove all the riven types and replace with a universal primary riven or 2 interduse 2 new rivens 1 for bows and other for snipers Or 3 do nothing 

I expect resons why I'm a idoit

Nice one i think you We're thying to say they deserve there own riven types and with the amount of rng getting  what you want for the weapons in the game your not wrong and before someone says trade opening a riven for yourself is free! 

We have zaw, kitgun, shotgun, rifle, melee, secondary, companion (sentinel), arch gun. So why not add BOW and SNIPER classes as well as braking down melee some more eg. HEAVY class for two handed which could be hammers polearms heavy blades. LIGHT for daggers, glaives, sythes. MEDIUM swords sword/shield staffs it would reduce the rng for rifles and melee. However riven types needs to be made a choice on reward from things like sortie or more choice for evergreen dailies as there limited at the moment.

A bit more player choice and less rng would be QoL, i like surprise opening them, but i wonder how rng can give me so many duplicates sometimes!! 

1 hour ago, (PSN)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

Bows and sniper uses rifle mods and rivens, shotguns are seperate with seperate mods and rivens. In tetms of weapon restrictions though eg sorties there all seperate.

This exactly.  Now, why was it decided that shotguns and rifles should be grouped differently?  You'll have to ask DE for an answer to a decision that was made nearly a decade ago.  But this is where we stand today.  Most primaries are considered "rifles" for the purposes of mods, and a few a "shotguns."  Rifles have a few subclasses to them.  Is it logical that a bow is considered a rifle?  No.  It's likely done for simplicity so they don't have to have 6 different mods that do the same thing, but for different weapon types in the same slot.

Additionally, everything that goes into the secondary slot is considered a "pistol."  Even things that are thrown, and have no moving parts like the Hikou.  Again, for simplicity.  Otherwise we'd bloat the mod list even further by requiring mods for pistol, shotgun pistol, grenade, throwing knives, and probably a couple others I'm forgetting.

2 hours ago, (PSN)amazing021throne said:

Well yes they're not but hear me out,so apparently you can get bow and sniper rivens from a RIFLE RIVEN and do give me the bullpoop 'that primarys are rifles' by following that logic shotguns are not primary because they they're separate,now DE 3 options 1 remove all the riven types and replace with a universal primary riven or 2 interduse 2 new rivens 1 for bows and other for snipers Or 3 do nothing 

I expect resons why I'm a idoit

It was DE writing themselves into a corner. The mod system is old and balanced on spaghetti code -- so unstable, that they were experiencing bugs trying to put Cautious Shot on the Kuva Bramma. The end result is that "RifleRiven" is actually supposed to be "PrimaryRiven" but due to all the issues they had they ended up needing to split "Primary" into "Shotgun" and "not Shotgun"

Introducing new riven types wouldn't be a bad idea. Rifle rivens include rifles, bows and snipers (that's a lot of weapons). So splitting the amount of weapons would slightly help with getting the riven you want. Compared to rifles, snipers and bows are far less numerous. 

Also, aside from stock Paris, mk1 Paris and stock Cernos, there isn't really a weak bow, imo. 

Same for snipers. All of them are strong, except Vulkar series and maybe Sporothrix.

Speaking of rivens, Palladino should offer separately rivens for each category (rifles, bows, snipers, shotties, pistols, melee and modular weapons) at once, but you would only be allowed to buy one of them.

There are alot of mindbogglers when it comes to the weapon system and what class is which and when.

I get it that shotguns and rifles are seperate and somewhat that bows use rifle mods, since it is a thing in other games aswell where they simply seperate rifles and bows into one category with shotguns in the next based on if the weapon uses a pellet or projectile system. In WF it is uhm very messy though since you have shotguns that arent pellet based along with rifles that should be pellet based.

Ontop of all this comes the sillyness of Opticor, Ferrox and Ignis being classed as assault rifles when Kohm and Astilla arent.

However I dont think the solution is to split up the categories even further. They should probably just make a single primary category which uses the best of what each category currently has to offer by keeping shotgun multishot mods and "rifle" crit mods. Maybe it would actually help the rifles to be worthwhile to use. Then after that make a few special "shotgun", "assault rifle", "sniper", "bow/projectile" and "DMR" categories, where things like Astilla can use assault rifle and projectile mods, Kohm assault and shotgun mods, Latron DMR, Vectis DMR and Sniper mods and so on. DE would just need to add clear tags to each weapon depending on where it fits in.

if they made Riven categories for every weapon class, the system would be needlessly complicated.

Bows, Snipers and Rifles are lumped togather because they can, if needed, all be used in the same general way: for engaing the enemy precisely at any given range, while shotguns are intended to.. well, be shotguns: fire a spread, and deal a lot more damage up close. there are outliers of course, due to the sheer variety of weapons on offer. but as a general rule of thumb: if there's no spread, it's a rifle, if there is, it's a shotgun.

of course this is not counting multishot mods, and multishot rounds stay extremely close to the "original" shot anyway, rather than making a spread, at least with most accurate weapons. 

Archived