Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Railjack feels out of size and unnatural.

AngeLoL_

While the game always had a bit of jank, the railjack feels more out of place since crewships, archwings and other stuff feel very out of size.
The fighters just drift all over the place, the crewships feel bigger on the inside and too small outside, and nothing feels very.. powerful or threatening.

The sounds are good, but everything feels too floaty to be immersive, which is something I actually desire from a game like this.

Our ship feels odd aswell, since we're quite big, but we cannot feel our size without getting close to a crewship. Plus, we are highly manuvrable despite the fact that we're a frigate with a very powerful artillery and etc.

I understand that the game is going for a more fantasy setting and so, much of the stuff we have can be explained by "space magic", along with how it would feel too sluggy and wouldn't match with the core gameplay if our ship wasn't as manuevrable as it was.

Though.. still, really floaty.

15 minutes ago, AngeLoL_ said:

While the game always had a bit of jank, the railjack feels more out of place since crewships, archwings and other stuff feel very out of size.
The fighters just drift all over the place, the crewships feel bigger on the inside and too small outside, and nothing feels very.. powerful or threatening.

Its done by having the railjack (and crewships) tilesets being "stationary" at all times, but cameras are placed on a free railjack model. What ever the cameras see are projected onto each and every single window in the railjack like a one massive TV screen.

This saves performance, development time, and prevents the artists and developers from being forced to work with size limitations, whilst achieving the same result, instead of having a massive or cramped interior railjack that has applied physics which will make the entire experience nausiating when the pilot decides to do multiple loop de loops.

What instead could be done is by increasing/changing the free model of the railjack to be more akin to its stationary tileset. But a 1 to 1 model is unlikely for it would not fit in the dojo's drydock, and the drydock was already complained to be too big when people tried building it.

As for the railjack feeling floaty, idk. To me it feels like exactly how it is in No Man's Sky. I'm not sure whether that is considered "floaty", but we are in fact "floating" in space, so should it not make sense somewhat?

40 minutes ago, AngeLoL_ said:

I understand that the game is going for a more fantasy setting and so, much of the stuff we have can be explained by "space magic", along with how it would feel too sluggy and wouldn't match with the core gameplay if our ship wasn't as manuevrable as it was.

Well yeah, but it wouldn't hurt to at least make the models bigger on the outside.

1 hour ago, AngeLoL_ said:

The sounds are good, but everything feels too floaty to be immersive, which is something I actually desire from a game like this.

Our ship feels odd aswell, since we're quite big, but we cannot feel our size without getting close to a crewship. Plus, we are highly manuvrable despite the fact that we're a frigate with a very powerful artillery and etc.

Though.. still, really floaty.

Railjack missions are composed of 3 basic areas:

- Space: Where you fly your Archwing and see the Railjack flying around.
- Railjack Interior: The inside of your ship where you interact with controls and other functions
- Structures: CrewShip/Bases/Galleon/Derelict

Imagine your Railjack in Space as a Drone with 4 Cameras, one pointed in each direction, the "Interior" of the Railjack is nothing more than a Skybox where the windows to the sides project the images those 4 cameras capture. When you are piloting the Railjack, you are actually remote-controlling a downsized model of the Ship in the "Space" area of the map.
Same goes for the other structures like the CrewShips and Bases, what you do inside them is actually occuring in another area of the mission far off-map in Skyboxes.

Yeah, kinda takes out the fun of Railjack missions doesnt it? Knowing you are just being fooled to believe you are actually inside that ship.

On 2020-12-05 at 9:15 AM, Aadi880 said:

As for the railjack feeling floaty, idk. To me it feels like exactly how it is in No Man's Sky. I'm not sure whether that is considered "floaty", but we are in fact "floating" in space, so should it not make sense somewhat?

Floaty, as in, doesn't feel right.

And, yes, I am aware of the tilesets and the camera magic. I feel like this could be improved by changing how the enemies move. The physics feel non existant sometimes, and the ships are too responsive. It feels too controlled, like the fighters against us are just moving around in circles around us, but very robotically.

Again, still wish we had a rework of the sizes. Crewships should feel more like small frigates instead of a slightly bigger fighters.

I'm not sure why the Railjack shouldn't be highly maneuverable, it's a destroyer, not an aircraft carrier, and it's in space, not water. 

Inertia would be nice, but it wouldn't be as accessible to bad players. And honestly, with extra dimensional sci-magic, a ship shouldn't have clunky movements.

The size could use some adjustment, but that might just be a perspective issue, I haven't spent enough time right outside the Railjack to see if the measurement are accurate. 

i've personally noticed it day one, that the time it takes me to walk across where i think the ships "bridge" would be, on the outside, is much shorter than what its like on the inside, i dont have specifics for myself i am aware of prior to this comment, so i dont know how well they could actually do something about this, but i've always felt like the ships on the outside are definately supposed to be bigger.

Archived