Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Hidden Costs Of The Gradivus Dilemma

Bakim0n0

DE, I'm not totally sure you're fully aware of it but it occurs to me that this event may have accidently cost you money and favor in the long run.

Firstly, and most importantly, because there is a clear loser in this event (forget all the stuff about how one-sided the event is) that alone cost you a lot more than you might think. It's one thing when you have actual competition in the game that can reward players based on individual achievement, especially when it's a re-occuring element that is fundemental to the state of the game; but when you have special limited events like this you *do not* want to give people the feeling like they are the losers; it makes people tighten up their wallets. Not to say that this is nessacarily extremely wrong; and the battle rewards etc are good... but giving such an "in your face" reward (26 plat worth of bonus over the losing side) on top of giving them weapons for the faction they did not support is going to make a lot of people *FEEL BAD* about your game.

Secondly, and this is more of a favor than a monatary loss, you're creating further division and polorization within your game as well as fostering a "get in line with what we want or get the hell out" mentality within clans. I, along with many others, were forcably removed from our clans for running a few missions not in line with overall clan aims (note; this event's details was bombshelled on us, so clans didn't even have a chance to sit down and make an informed choice as a group). So, basically in a game that relies scrictly on co-operative play... you've pushed out an event that creates a direct conflict with a clear losing side that got steamrolled out of the gate.

Finally, and this is really a combo of the other two points, you've done all that over weapons that will be released as clan tech in the future... So people have been kicked out of and quit clans and will feel bad over that and getting a vastly inferior reward for an event that lasts an entire week over a f-ing blueprint that will be researched in a few months anyways.

Some suggestions:

Clan points should not be *hurt* by members running opposing factions. If you want to make sure no clans can claim both faction leaderboards then make it similar to the tiered events; they do no appear on the leaderboard of whichever side the clan has less runs for (simple). This way people do not get kicked out of or quit because they wanted a particular reward or two; or they are doing the 50/50 thing.

This has been covered, multiple times, but if you are going to have a losing side *make the loser's choice MATTER*

It's a slap in the face to work hard for a reward and get the exact opposite reward. It *is* nice that it's something free, don't confuse, but it's extremely annoying and a stupidly simple thing to fix on your end in the future. Losing the hand cannon you actually want makes playing feel hollow and empty and gives people a further bad experience on something you are trying to make an *improvement* on.

Seriously, this event is equal parts awesome and frustrating... Everything about it that made me happy was overshadowed by getting kicked out of my clan and being stuck with an item I really have no interest in but end up siding with the grineer because I'd rather have a free inventory slot and some credit for selling a weapon rather than a few credits for selling a blueprint.

EVENTS SHOULD NOT DAMAGE THE COMMUNITY.

And yes, 26 plat, boo friggan hoo right? I really could care less about that part specifically but let's be real here... There are a lot of players who do not have easy access to plat who have been begging for the opportunity to earn more slots (especially weapon slots) and they are getting saddled with the "get on the bandwagon" so-called choice.

Firstly, and most importantly, because there is a clear loser in this event (forget all the stuff about how one-sided the event is) that alone cost you a lot more than you might think. It's one thing when you have actual competition in the game that can reward players based on individual achievement, especially when it's a re-occuring element that is fundemental to the state of the game; but when you have special limited events like this you *do not* want to give people the feeling like they are the losers; it makes people tighten up their wallets. Not to say that this is nessacarily extremely wrong; and the battle rewards etc are good... but giving such an "in your face" reward (26 plat worth of bonus over the losing side) on top of giving them weapons for the faction they did not support is going to make a lot of people *FEEL BAD* about your game.

Yes, of course, because the playerbase of this game consists mainly of spoiled brats with black/white mentality, isn't it? And if it isn't so, all that you described in this paragraph will just not happen.

You can win. You can lose. It is just definition of any game.

Secondly, and this is more of a favor than a monatary loss, you're creating further division and polorization within your game as well as fostering a "get in line with what we want or get the hell out" mentality within clans. I, along with many others, were forcably removed from our clans for running a few missions not in line with overall clan aims (note; this event's details was bombshelled on us, so clans didn't even have a chance to sit down and make an informed choice as a group). So, basically in a game that relies scrictly on co-operative play... you've pushed out an event that creates a direct conflict with a clear losing side that got steamrolled out of the gate.

Your clan is just sick and spoiled.

There are many decent ones, whose leaders do not treat their clanmates as mindless drones.

It's a slap in the face to work hard for a reward and get the exact opposite reward. It *is* nice that it's something free, don't confuse, but it's extremely annoying and a stupidly simple thing to fix on your end in the future. Losing the hand cannon you actually want makes playing feel hollow and empty and gives people a further bad experience on something you are trying to make an *improvement* on.

I agree with this part.

There should be taken into account, which side you did support. I just don't understand, why DE wouldn't give BP of losing side's weapon to its supporters instead of BP of winning side.

Edited by Khranitel

Truth. This event was skewed from the start, and although I had it in my head already to support the grineer and can't entirely complain about their victories, I can empathize with all the Corpus supporters who are likely to lose the Detron and Prova Vandal. It wasn't a fair test of alliances. The efforts to make up for this with Alad V's sudden influx of Orokin Reactors, which are just too d*** rare to pass up even though I've been supporting the Grin-grins... that's not really fair either. You knew instantly who would win those... the grineer people can afford, it would seem, to lose a planet or two. They do five runs for the corpus and gtfo, ignoring those planets and going to support Grineer interests elsewhere. It's what I've done, I know.

I'm actually co-warlord of a small clan that's recruiting, and we've gotten an influx of people who are suddenly clanless. I've seen a million and one people complaining about it on the forums, too. It's not just a few clans, it would seem that most clan leaders are selfish b******s. I don't personally care about golden statues, so my clan members are doing whatever they'd like with no objections from me. Even if I did care I certainly wouldn't kick people because the players enjoyment and the rewards they want should come first--you should be able to support what you want to support.

This event was cool in concept and if it hadn't started out so off balance would have been fun (although mission types other than exterm would be great... it's getting kind of grindy)... but with how little people are starting to care (seriously, the latest few missions have changed like 5% the past few hours?) it's probably too late to save it. People have, as the phrase goes, lost faith in humanity.

Truth. This event was skewed from the start, and although I had it in my head already to support the grineer and can't entirely complain about their victories, I can empathize with all the Corpus supporters who are likely to lose the Detron and Prova Vandal. It wasn't a fair test of alliances. The efforts to make up for this with Alad V's sudden influx of Orokin Reactors, which are just too d*** rare to pass up even though I've been supporting the Grin-grins... that's not really fair either. You knew instantly who would win those... the grineer people can afford, it would seem, to lose a planet or two. They do five runs for the corpus and gtfo, ignoring those planets and going to support Grineer interests elsewhere. It's what I've done, I know.

I'm actually co-warlord of a small clan that's recruiting, and we've gotten an influx of people who are suddenly clanless. I've seen a million and one people complaining about it on the forums, too. It's not just a few clans, it would seem that most clan leaders are selfish b******s. I don't personally care about golden statues, so my clan members are doing whatever they'd like with no objections from me. Even if I did care I certainly wouldn't kick people because the players enjoyment and the rewards they want should come first--you should be able to support what you want to support.

This event was cool in concept and if it hadn't started out so off balance would have been fun (although mission types other than exterm would be great... it's getting kind of grindy)... but with how little people are starting to care (seriously, the latest few missions have changed like 5% the past few hours?) it's probably too late to save it. People have, as the phrase goes, lost faith in humanity.

I for one, love everything about this event. The raging and complaining is @(*()$ beautiful and I can't get enough of it. It's revitalized my interest in warframe because this is just entertainment that never gets old. :D "Potentially" missing out on 2 weapons(One exclusive and kinda S#&$ty anyway) and another that will likely be available later on down the road(Because that's how it is with EVERY non-vandal/wraith event rewards) is causing such a shi*tstorm. People take this game too seriously.

-snip-

Last i checked it does say that if you support them get 100 missions and they don't win you do get the bp. just not a free slot and tater, you may have misread.

edit: i stand corrected.  its probably so that the players that won don't feel jipped that they don't have access to a weapon others do. 

Edited by r3dzer0

The major issue with the event, as I see it anyway, is DE wants to tell a story with it. 

Telling a story is fine- after all, they've told stories with the past events just fine, right? But none of those had the opposing PvE element in them. In this, one side wins, one side loses, and on the individual level, your choice is a total crapshoot. Either you pick the winning side and get the good loot, or the losing side and get normal loot. 

The problem, though, is the story bit. First off, Warframe's lore is sparse, at best. This is not a rich and well fleshed out setting- which is fine. There's precedent for games having largely player driven lore- look at eve online for a good example.

However, this isn't the case here. DE has stated they want the grineer to be initially successful, then have the corpus rally. Then why bother giving us the option of playing it out? Why even make it a choice- just make it like the previous events, where we had a set objective we were working towards, and as we progressed the story unfolded. At least this gave us the impression that we were, in some way, integral to it. As it stands, the game is doing the same thing that Corridor shooters like CoD does- makes it feel like the player is, at best, an afterthought. I'm not playing a game where I'm important, I'm watching a movie where I'm a persistent extra. woo. 

This is, I feel, the root cause of the trouble here- and it's what's going to cost the game players, IMO. Personally, I was pretty excited for this event- I'm only one player in a moon clan, but I felt, hey, every mission I run at least offsets the other side by a mission, right? I'm doing something, and can help shape the course of the game's lore (what little there is). 

Instead, I find myself rapidly falling into the 50/50+1 camp. Why not? DE has already decided to stack the deck to tell the story they want to tell, and instead of just randomly either getting the loot I actually want or getting shafted, I might as well shoot for a free weapon slot- even if I don't want the pistol, the slot's worth something. 

I for one, love everything about this event. The raging and complaining is @(*()$ beautiful and I can't get enough of it. It's revitalized my interest in warframe because this is just entertainment that never gets old. :D "Potentially" missing out on 2 weapons(One exclusive and kinda S#&$ty anyway) and another that will likely be available later on down the road(Because that's how it is with EVERY non-vandal/wraith event rewards) is causing such a shi*tstorm. People take this game too seriously.

^ That :D