Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DX12 Major Stuttering / FPS Drops / Freezing / Black Screen

Robbery525

I'm seeing major FPS drops when playing with DX12.

Walking / running around the orbiter can result in frame drops to sub-100 fps, often freezing or stuttering up to 2s at a time. Bullet jumping provides consistent, repeatable frame drops sometimes as much as 15fps. Bullet jumping also introduces much more noticeable motion blur in DX12 than in DX11, to the point where its obnoxious (after continuing testing, it appears as its less motion blur, and more of a screen shake type effect where there should be none. It will 'vibrate' the middle section of the screen, but not the edges of the screen, with some rendered objects moving up as much as a half inch then back down rapidly to correct position). The (BETA) graphics engine felt better with DX12, I think. Both beta and classic graphics engine had these issues. Multithreaded rendering ON was active for all these tests. Game appeared to stutter much less with 'Multithreaded rendering' option turned off in launcher, its actually playable with multithreaded rending 'off'.

Running the game in borderless windowed mode results in the screen going black indefinitely after a successfull login. Only way out of it is alt-f4 and changing the settings in launcher to full screen mode.

PC Specs:

• Monitor: MSI MAG27CQ - 1440P @ 144hz  + 2 1080p monitors. (Game is only displayed on the 1440p monitor)
  • CPU:  R5 3600
  • GPU: MSI RTX2070 8GB Armor OC.
    • Driver version 457.30
    • (G)Freesync is turned on in nvidia drivers.
  • Mobo: Asus Tuf Gaming Plus WIfi X570
  • 16GB Ram @ 3600MHZ

Since I have rainmeter running, I figured I could include some interesting graphs that (to me) don't showcase the issue at all.

All graphs below were taken approximately at the 10-minute mark on the Dark Sector Survival node on Eris (Zabala). Graph is ~2 minute length, measurements 4x per second if I recall. Values reported by MSI Afterburner, displayed by Rainmeter. Each averaged approximately the same amount, but  DX11 was by far the smoothest to play with. I tested DX12 first, then DX11 and DX11 was very noticeably smoother, even when dropping from 160 to 110 fps in DX11 was not noticeable (The only reason I even saw it was because I was looking directly at the FPS counter). Whereas in DX12 I had enough time during the drops to glance at the FPS counter before it recovered. (This may have something to do with the stutter. Freesync may also not be working in DX12 mode?).  Game was all settings on high, 2560x1440p, full screen mode, fps unlocked, dynamic resolution turned off. Flip Model for win 10 turned on.

Note that the FPS count in 2 of the graphs IS NOT AN AVERAGE! MSI Afterburner was refusing to calculate average FPS, so the # displayed is the instantaneous value at time of last measurement by rainmeter, which is the furthest right point of the read line graph.

For the GPU graphs: Red line = FPS at time of measurement.  Blue Line = GPU Usage.    CPU graph has white line for usage, blue for temp.

DX 11 - MultiThreaded Rendering ON  -- This was by far the best feeling play through. It was the smoothest and most responsive, even during frame dips it didn't feel like it was stuttering. Freesync was working well in this mode.  I think my average was around 145fps, with dips down to 120ish.

h9JRUps.png+

DX 12 - MultiThreaded Rendering ON. Estimated average of 120-130 fps here. But it felt stuttery / inconsistent.

Z3DSBgd.png

DX 12 - MultiThreaded Rendering OFF -  Despite the GPU using 19% less power on average, this one felt just as smooth as the multithreaded rending ON test. Though turning it ON did result in approx 15-20 fps improvement over having it OFF. I find the CPU usage being cut in half was pretty interesting though. I think the average FPS was approx 125 here, with a high of maybe 165.

ZtMQmiQ.png

• 2 weeks later...

can confirm on a similar build but on 1080p

dx 12 produces drops to 55 fps alm ost every minute in orbiter + overall stuttering

ryzen 7 3700x 

asrock x570 mobo

16 Gb of ddr 4 ram

rtx 2070 8GB windforce

with no max frame rate the jumps are huge between 280 fps to 167 fps 

while dx 11 produces amore or less stable output of 345 fps (minus 20-40 max when there is alot going on)

my screen has freesync (earlier had an amd gpu), i noticed that if i set my max framerate to 59,94 hz and do the same on refreshrate + fullscreen not borderless it works fine as long as vsync is off, seems if max refreshrate max framrate and vsync is on the game struggles and stuttering begins, so if you have this issue maybe try keeping vsync at off value

it sure as hell helped me

On 2020-12-08 at 11:37 PM, Robbery525 said:

I'm seeing major FPS drops when playing with DX12.

Walking / running around the orbiter can result in frame drops to sub-100 fps, often freezing or stuttering up to 2s at a time. Bullet jumping provides consistent, repeatable frame drops sometimes as much as 15fps. Bullet jumping also introduces much more noticeable motion blur in DX12 than in DX11, to the point where its obnoxious (after continuing testing, it appears as its less motion blur, and more of a screen shake type effect where there should be none. It will 'vibrate' the middle section of the screen, but not the edges of the screen, with some rendered objects moving up as much as a half inch then back down rapidly to correct position). The (BETA) graphics engine felt better with DX12, I think. Both beta and classic graphics engine had these issues. Multithreaded rendering ON was active for all these tests. Game appeared to stutter much less with 'Multithreaded rendering' option turned off in launcher, its actually playable with multithreaded rending 'off'.

Thank you for sharing all of this information! We're currently in the process of cleaning up all of the remaining issues with DX12, so this is very helpful. I can confirm that we have also come across the issue with motion blur, so we'll try to get that fixed in a timely manner. 

Archived