Jump to content

Why I have taken a break for nearly the past 3 Years


Recommended Posts

NOTE: I am not bashing on the game, developers, or community. This is my honest and genuine feedback in retrospect of my experiences from my time playing Warframe.

The Post

I love the art, I love the universe, I love the concepts, and I really enjoy the central the gameplay.

Speaking as someone who played back in 2013 and financially supported the game for some time; This is why I had an on-off again relationship with the game back to Plains of Eidolon and eventually decided to take a long break from the game for almost the past 3 years.

(To clarify: I have hopped on every now and again during my break to try it out but I’m not a consistent player like I was nearly three years ago, I have not played at all this year)

As others have put it; the game feels too incomplete for a game going on 7 years now, DE keeps adding things that are unrelated to the central concept of playing “Space-Ninjas”, and overall reinventing the wheel too much instead of working to make a solid base game. (This is coming from someone who loves experimenting)

Warframe has too many unrelated islands and is trying to be too many things at once. The new mechs are an example of this in my opinion. To be fair, my hope for Railjack is that it becomes the bridge between tile sets & archwing throughout the game.

I do like the open worlds but I think the next one needs to be designed around parkour to really work and feel more like Warframe. Maybe something like a city or city ruins.

(Don’t get me wrong I’ve enjoyed the open world work but I think more can be done to bridge & integrate the modes together)

I think DE has made good steps in re-making the Corpus tile-sets (to look better and to be more in-line with the parkour system) but there are many other neglected tiles in the game and some worlds could use entirely new ones to distinguish themselves. The solar system as is feels very incomplete.

But overall, like World of Warcraft, I think DE need to take a step back and ask; “What serves the central concept of the game which drew players in the first place?”

I think DE need to push to make finished and polished content and that they should prioritize making something resembling a complete base game about Space Ninjas. (instead of reinventing the wheel with forever feature creep, Star Citizen is a big example of this going too far)

Steve Sinclair himself agreed with the criticism that Warframe feels like a Castle that is built on the ruins of a castle, which is also built on the ruins of a castle

I have my issues with Destiny 2 but at least the game feels like it has a more solid gameplay identity and content updates feel polished.

We’ll see how Outriders turns out but I like their approach to not do live service and just make a complete solid game. (Not saying warframe should cut live service, just that I appreciate their push to have a complete product)

For now I’ll keep to my break and give DE more time to work on the project while I’m off doing other things.

Edits
edited a statement to clarify and emphasize by making it bold

Edited by Iccotak
  • Like 26
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Iccotak changed the title to Why I have taken a break for nearly the past 3 Years
Just now, (XBOX)Shodian said:

Not everything can happen overnight. Some things are more priority than other things.

While I do get this and once made the same counterpoints I think certain things are taking too long due to a lack of focus.

I do think the game has a lot of good things going for it and has lots of potential but certain things are holding it back.

But thanks for your time

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

100% agree. Warframe is an amazing game, but to me it feels like there is no sense of direction in it. We keep getting new content that is either isolated from the rest of the game or straight incomplete; and when it's the latter, it tends to never get completed, or take literally years to be fully done.
 

4 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

what do you base that on, other than your feelings?

Have you even played the game lately?

  • Like 22
Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid points. I definitely agree. Most of the players I know who quit with thousands of hours did for these very reasons, and I do not blame them. It's rare when we get things like the Steel Path, Disruption, or Arbitrations that bring Warframe towards it's core design from years past. Most of the features added just aren't Warframe and feel rushed in. Warframe is definitely trying to be way too many games at once instead of just solidifying where it came from and selling that.

  • Like 19
Link to post
Share on other sites

It feels more like they want to satisfy everyone no matter what that means to the game.
Instead of balancing, tweaking, fine tuning some few greater mechanics they are adding more and more to the game. Often they are not really connected to the rest of the game. 
Be it open worlds, Railjack, Mechs...
Like a castle that want to be a pent house but also a motel but also a ordinary family house. But that doesnt work out well as we can see right now...

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ---Swaggi--- said:

Often they are not really connected to the rest of the game. 
Be it open worlds, Railjack, Mechs...

 

Necramechs are being integrated into regular mission with the next operation*, railjack will have archwing merged with it, liches too. I mean, you can't put something that big into the game without being an "content island" first and iterating, at least in Warframe.  Railjack is almost a YEAR old ...

 So, my quesiton is, why people include content with less than a year of work as a "unfinished content that DE forgot?" This isn't conclave/lunaro ("forgotten" content). Even archwing had years of implementation due the difficulty in making space physics for the team. 

_____________

It's just too damn easy making a statement like this and ignoring that they are working towards it, regardless how many of you, oh so bored veterans that "need" to make post about how or why they leave or why they don't play anymore. The lack of self-awareness of that portion of the community is astounding. Devs "ignore" your mesianic delusions and they just focus on working for a reason. No sane person would try to catter this audience. No game catter to this audience, because it's an audience that is nostaligc on a game that doesn't exist anymore ("uh but muh old closed corridor ninja style") and just want to the game to be stuck on the same core loop while at the same time asking for more content. 

Honestly, if warframe woudln't followed this path, it would be dead, and if you disagree, you can look for other veterans that are really bored of grinding and killing the same enemies over and over again, to the point that any interruption of mere seconds in a mission starts a storm because "DE IS MAKING THE GAME LONGER ARTIFICIALLY!!!", "DE I NEED THOSE 2 or 10 EXTRA SECONDS!!! YOU DON'T UDNERSTAND!!!"

DE needs to work and that's all. They are doing it. We give feedback. They take whatever they need (and if they miss, we tell them, as always).

So, keep lurking here ona  forum game you don't play anymore. I'm sure you are no different than those dramatubers that always "leave warframe for good" just to miseteriously appear when new content (aka more views and likes for that CC) is added to the game. It's just too damn easy.

Edited by vanaukas
typos
  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Railjack is almost a YEAR old ...

And it's still not what we were promised...
They have shown us a true squad link feature back on the tennocon in the stream (2018 iirc). (Not that crap squad link from scarlet spear...)
Thats still not here...

Also Kuva Liches...

Is totally different from what we were promised as well...
It was shown more like a boss fight in a grineer crewship... Dont see any leftover from that....

Archwing: We still only have some basic mission types and sharkwing still sucks... Its obvious unfinished even though it's ingame over years now. At least they have integrated them in the Open worlds.
So i have kinds high expectations for the announced modular archwing hoping that there is more to come on changes to the whole arching system...

The problem is that they focusing more on new stuff then fixing, balancing, tweaking old stuff so thats why we say its getting "forgotten"

Archwing is for me still half implemented since we had no significant additon to the system for a lonmger period now or any greater changes.

Kuva liches still suck af in the way they are. Long period of time just hunting down enemies for murmur and then hoping haveing the right mod order in order to kill him finallly...


They made with Railjack a first goos step and introduced Test Server. But this featrue is still used way to less...
It should be used for any major update in order to fix critical bugs and tweaking massivley underwhelming abilities, weapons whatever...

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ---Swaggi--- said:

And it's still not what we were promised...
They have shown us a true squad link feature back on the tennocon in the stream (2018 iirc). (Not that crap squad link from scarlet spear...)
Thats still not here...

Also Kuva Liches...

Is totally different from what we were promised as well...
It was shown more like a boss fight in a grineer crewship... Dont see any leftover from that....

Archwing: We still only have some basic mission types and sharkwing still sucks... Its obvious unfinished even though it's ingame over years now. At least they have integrated them in the Open worlds.
So i have kinds high expectations for the announced modular archwing hoping that there is more to come on changes to the whole arching system...

The problem is that they focusing more on new stuff then fixing, balancing, tweaking old stuff so thats why we say its getting "forgotten"

Archwing is for me still half implemented since we had no significant additon to the system for a lonmger period now or any greater changes.

Kuva liches still suck af in the way they are. Long period of time just hunting down enemies for murmur and then hoping haveing the right mod order in order to kill him finallly...


They made with Railjack a first goos step and introduced Test Server. But this featrue is still used way to less...
It should be used for any major update in order to fix critical bugs and tweaking massivley underwhelming abilities, weapons whatever...

So, to resume, you want to wait those 2 or 3 years of development instead to have non-iterated content that could be done fast if they test it with players? Because we are beta testers by contrat, the first EULA you put "I agree" is for accepting we are beta testers.

Because there is no other way*. They work behind the scenes or with the community. If they work behind scenes, comunity screams "content drought". If they work with the community "lazy devs that don't eliver what they promised". You can't argue those 2 things together, because it doesn't make sense.

Edited by vanaukas
typo
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Because we are beta testers by contrat, the first EULA you put "I agree" is for accepting we are beta testers.

Thats totally fine by me. I'm not complaining about Bugs or glitches but about the mechanices they have introduced with their updates and many people complaining about just little things which could be fixed within few days or even hours (depends on).
There are also still many QoL that could make the game way more enjoyable. One very basic thing e.g. is foundry. Why can i only craft a ceratin amount of ressources? Why cant i just put a number in it and let it run overnight having hundreds crfated ressources but no i have to wait 1 minute in order to get 6 pieces and then hit the craft button again and that many times then. Unneccessary. (Thats just one example)
Also - but thats just my guessing - they seem to work on many things simultaneously instead of focusing on one major project and programm it properly so the amount of bugs/glitches and balanceing problems will be kept on a minimum from my pov.

Sometimes the updates just seems rushed and not overlooked very well so thats why ppl complaining about underwhelming/overwhelming stuff. Because on certain things it should have been already clear that specific weapons (aka Kuva Bramma) would be insanely OP. 
Or the relic system. Dont get me wrong both Void Keys and Relics have bright and dark sides. But one thing which is for me pretty annoying is the fact that more and more relics are getting added resulting in a huge relic mess. I'm still waiting for the day when we have sth like Meso v60 because there are so many relics already there in the past.
With vopid keys we just had T1, T2, T3, and T4 and then sorted by mission types but ofc the dark side was that we had to spent a great amount of time for getting a certain prime part but when we finally got it this "reward feeling" was way more presnt than it is now with the relic system. Oh i need a prime part sure just give me 20min. 

18 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

So, to resume, you want to wait those 2 or 3 years of development instead to have non-iterated content that could be done fast if they test it with players

Im not talking about 2 or 3 years. I mean when they wanna release a new major update they should first give a fixed number of players the chance to test it beforehand for like 2-4 weeks.
Then feedback will be contributed still within the test perios about things that need to be fxied or nerfed or tweaked. So they also can test out the new changes then.
Then after that period the Devs should take another like 2 or 3 weeks to polish the whole stuff before it gets finally released. Thats the way on how a major update should be deployed frm my pov.

 

22 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

Because there is no other way*. They work behind the scenes or with the community. If they work behind scenes, comunity screams "content drought".

Thats kinda the devs own fault. Because they focus to much on releasing greater updates which indeed take its time to develop. Usually several months. So ofc we complain about content drought because that wasnt really the case in the past. There we always had litle updates between. Be it little quests, Real Tactical Alerts or little Events which kept us busy with bit of new stuff while waiting for the big one.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

GaaS games really are like Significant Others to some people I guess, just have to keep dissing the ex...

 

this is a great way to describe the relationship some people have with this game.

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ---Swaggi--- said:

Thats totally fine by me. I'm not complaining about Bugs or glitches but about the mechanices they have introduced with their updates and many people complaining about just little things which could be fixed within few days or even hours (depends on).
There are also still many QoL that could make the game way more enjoyable. One very basic thing e.g. is foundry. Why can i only craft a ceratin amount of ressources? Why cant i just put a number in it and let it run overnight having hundreds crfated ressources but no i have to wait 1 minute in order to get 6 pieces and then hit the craft button again and that many times then. Unneccessary. (Thats just one example)
Also - but thats just my guessing - they seem to work on many things simultaneously instead of focusing on one major project and programm it properly so the amount of bugs/glitches and balanceing problems will be kept on a minimum from my pov.

Sometimes the updates just seems rushed and not overlooked very well so thats why ppl complaining about underwhelming/overwhelming stuff. Because on certain things it should have been already clear that specific weapons (aka Kuva Bramma) would be insanely OP. 
Or the relic system. Dont get me wrong both Void Keys and Relics have bright and dark sides. But one thing which is for me pretty annoying is the fact that more and more relics are getting added resulting in a huge relic mess. I'm still waiting for the day when we have sth like Meso v60 because there are so many relics already there in the past.
With vopid keys we just had T1, T2, T3, and T4 and then sorted by mission types but ofc the dark side was that we had to spent a great amount of time for getting a certain prime part but when we finally got it this "reward feeling" was way more presnt than it is now with the relic system. Oh i need a prime part sure just give me 20min. 

Im not talking about 2 or 3 years. I mean when they wanna release a new major update they should first give a fixed number of players the chance to test it beforehand for like 2-4 weeks.
Then feedback will be contributed still within the test perios about things that need to be fxied or nerfed or tweaked. So they also can test out the new changes then.
Then after that period the Devs should take another like 2 or 3 weeks to polish the whole stuff before it gets finally released. Thats the way on how a major update should be deployed frm my pov.

 

Thats kinda the devs own fault. Because they focus to much on releasing greater updates which indeed take its time to develop. Usually several months. So ofc we complain about content drought because that wasnt really the case in the past. There we always had litle updates between. Be it little quests, Real Tactical Alerts or little Events which kept us busy with bit of new stuff while waiting for the big one.

Dude, you seems to don'tunderstand how a gem is created. This isn0't a recipe for cooking or building a house, coding doesn't have "fixed times" to make stuff happen. Somehting can go wrong and those "days or weeks" you say could be months or even YEARS of fixing (and sorry, but warframe isn't the only game who suffer this, take for example overwatch, currently being developed filled with bugs by a multimillonaire company like blizzard with a dedicated big team).

That idea of "more people working into this will result in more content quickly" it's an idea that had been dished for more than 50 years in the industry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month , stop spreading that nonsense, seriously. Not because they work together means that they know how to do everything. This year they in fact did your idea and the results where almost the same: No iterated content that needs adjustment based on playerbase data and feedback.

Then your final nail in the coffing are your obvius nostalgia googles. Dude, how the #*!% you are arguing in favor of the old key system? When the pool of those missions was already so dilluted at that time that people just stayed long because what you were looking for never dropped? I can't understand how you bash the waiting times in the foundry but praise the "waiting times" doing forced long missions.

In 2019 we had all those things (tactical alerts, little updates) but for people "that wasn't content!". New frame? No content. New game mode? No content. New reworked tileset? No content. So, no, isn't just because devs want to do new and creative stuff for the sake of it or just because Steve Sinclair is obsessed with lights or graphics (as som users suggest). It's because that's what's have been keeping the game alive.

People want a fresh experience after playing more than 500 h in a single game. I'm baffled by the lack of self awareness.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

In 2019 we had all those things (tactical alerts, little updates) but for people "that wasn't content!". New frame? No content. New game mode? No content. New reworked tileset? No content. So, no, isn't just because devs want to do new and creative stuff for the sake of it or just because Steve Sinclair is obsessed with lights or graphics (as som users suggest). It's because that's what's have been keeping the game alive.

People want a fresh experience after playing more than 500 h in a single game. I'm baffled by the lack of self awareness.

and that isn't sustainable with the way the game is.

(Edit: not in the long run)

Edited by Iccotak
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
vor einer Stunde schrieb vanaukas:

So, to resume, you want to wait those 2 or 3 years of development instead to have non-iterated content that could be done fast if they test it with players? Because we are beta testers by contrat, the first EULA you put "I agree" is for accepting we are beta testers.

That's a complete joke by itself and so is anyone who uses it as a serious argument. You don't get to completely ignore any sort of QA just because you pretend that the product you've been marketing for years and years on all major platforms is still in Beta.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Iccotak said:

and that isn't sustainable with the way the game is.

(Edit: not in the long run)

I mean, this approach had worked for 7 years, put them on the global radar and they have contracts with major console companies by now. I'm sure they know they can push too much their playerbase, but what options you think they should take? As fr as we know, based on the game experience, it's one thing or another. It's more solid content that barely makes a difference in terms of bugs (because they need us as testers regardless their choice) but delayed to the point that could cause content droughts or it's a "unifinished" mess (because nothign it's "finished" in warframe, everything is subjected to changes) that needs lot of post work and feedback. I prefer the second choice hands down, but not to the point of railjack launch and they are aware of that.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Krankbert said:

That's a complete joke by itself and so is anyone who uses it as a serious argument. 

I'm not gonan take your bait for third time, making subtle insults to later play the victim it's your style, not mine.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Gerade eben schrieb vanaukas:

I'm not gonan take your bait for third time, making subtle insults to later play the victim it's your style, not mine.

Oh, it's you. The guy who insisted that DE has hard deadlines for everything is now arguing that it's totally fine and normal that DE can't get their product out of Beta after the better part of a decade. That's even more ludicrous than I initally thought.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Krankbert said:

Oh, it's you. The guy who insisted that DE has hard deadlines for everything is now arguing that it's totally fine and normal that DE can't get their product out of Beta after the better part of a decade. That's even more ludicrous than I initally thought.

isleep.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
vor 2 Minuten schrieb Rawbeard:

feelings it is, then

Of course it is. Nobody could possibly look at Railjack or the Glassmaker and think that DE has lost sight of the core of the game.

Edited by Krankbert
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe developing a game isn't easy? It's usually people with 1000+ hrs in the game that are  it's biggest critics. How do some of you not see the irony in that.

That's like eating 1000 pizzas, getting sick of the flavor and blaming the pizzeria for not changing their recipe, while also calling them terrible cooks. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of new customers enjoying their first thousand slices. Chances are they are just going to keep making pizza the way they know how. 

Edited by Hypernaut1
  • Like 13
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...