Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I have taken a break for nearly the past 3 Years

Iccotak

17 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Maybe developing a game isn't easy? It's usually people with 1000+ hrs in the game that are  it's biggest critics. How do some of you not see the irony in that.

That's like eating 1000 pizzas, getting sick of the flavor and blaming the pizzeria for not changing their recipe, while also calling them terrible cooks. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of new customers enjoying their first thousand slices. Chances are they are just going to keep making pizza the way they know how. 

This is more ridiculous because those people are really fed up with that recipe but somehow, when the pizzeria tries to create "new flavors" and try them to have feedback, they go crazy and start screaming about how the pizzeria lost its "identity" trying to attract new customers while they neglect the old ones.

Just now, Iccotak said:

NOTE: I am not bashing on the game, developers, or community. This is my honest and genuine feedback in retrospect of my experiences from my time playing Warframe.

The Post

I love the art, I love the universe, I love the concepts, and I really enjoy the central the gameplay.

Speaking as someone who played back in 2013 and financially supported the game for some time; This is why I had an on-off again relationship with the game back to Plains of Eidolon and eventually decided to take a long break from the game for almost the past 3 years.

(To clarify: I do hop on every now and again to try it out but I’m not a consistent player like I was nearly three years ago, I have not played at all this year)

As others have put it; the game feels too incomplete for a game going on 7 years now, DE keeps adding things that are unrelated to the central concept of playing “Space-Ninjas”, and overall reinventing the wheel too much instead of working to make a solid base game. (This is coming from someone who loves experimenting)

Warframe has too many unrelated islands and is trying to be too many things at once. The new mechs are an example of this in my opinion. To be fair, my hope for Railjack is that it becomes the bridge between tile sets & archwing throughout the game.

I do like the open worlds but I think the next one needs to be designed around parkour to really work and feel more like Warframe. Maybe something like a city or city ruins.

(Don’t get me wrong I’ve enjoyed the open world work but I think more can be done to bridge & integrate the modes together)

I think DE has made good steps in re-making the Corpus tile-sets (to look better and to be more in-line with the parkour system) but there are many other neglected tiles in the game and some worlds could use entirely new ones to distinguish themselves. The solar system as is feels very incomplete.

But overall, like World of Warcraft, I think DE need to take a step back and ask; “What serves the central concept of the game which drew players in the first place?”

I think DE need to push to make finished and polished content and that they should prioritize making something resembling a complete base game about Space Ninjas. (instead of reinventing the wheel with forever feature creep, Star Citizen is a big example of this going too far)

Steve Sinclair himself agreed with the criticism that Warframe feels like a Castle that is built on the ruins of a castle, which is also built on the ruins of a castle

I have my issues with Destiny 2 but at least the game feels like it has a more solid gameplay identity and content updates feel polished.

We’ll see how Outriders turns out but I like their approach to not do live service and just make a complete solid game. (Not saying warframe should cut live service, just that I appreciate their push to have a complete product)

For now I’ll keep to my break and give DE more time to work on the project while I’m off doing other things.

Been there.....the core of the game is built over a huuuuuuge time sink in which there are workarounds but some other stuff is plain bad design like clipping, damn this game have more clipping than a badly modded skyrim, then you have the part when you are modifying / cheking your loadout BUT instead of actullay open up your inventory you open up an in-game catalog of all you can buy for that particular slot, and we can go on and on with the AI mediocrity even if the units variety is good for each faction all behave just the same or the girl that is always bragging about glass stuff. Believe me I completely understand they must get revenue somehow but there is stuff that is borderline greedy. 

On the other side I like lots of thing of the game, like that exploration sense you got everytime you enter a mission and things are slightly different and lots of events (I still don´t know how they all work) and some frames that look really cool with variety in options from customization to game modes, it´s better than destiny in being accesible is worse than destiny in not being polished but in the end both seek the same thing: a huge and stable player base to secure revenue and keep profitable.

23 minutes ago, StabbyTentacles said:

So I too have not been posting here for a good stretch, but from what I've read here: legitimate beef, is still punishable by death, and impassioned, fervent white knights still rule. (And that’s always worked out so well for the game/anything.)

Oh, yes. Because the only valid point of view is the constant outrage going on here and on Youtube. It's not like there's dozens of threads talking a bunch of nonsense and trash talking the devs, aye? There's only white knights and yes men, who are, of course, objetively wrong just because. Grow up and stop namecalling everything that goes against your ideas of good and right.

1 hour ago, StabbyTentacles said:

So I too have not been posting here for a good stretch, but from what I've read here: legitimate beef, is still punishable by death, and impassioned, fervent white knights still rule. (And that’s always worked out so well for the game/anything.)

Yeah, why would people that are actually fans of the game visit the official forums? Thats what Reddit is for. 

3 hours ago, vanaukas said:

This is more ridiculous because those people are really fed up with that recipe but somehow, when the pizzeria tries to create "new flavors" and try them to have feedback, they go crazy and start screaming about how the pizzeria lost its "identity" trying to attract new customers while they neglect the old ones.

Even though the same pizza is still there and they are free to either try the new dishes or not lol.

2 hours ago, StabbyTentacles said:

I honestly don't get where this "White Knight rules the forums" comes from. most people come here (the feedback forum pages and General Discussion specifically) to criticize the game and suggest new ideas. not to be DE's shield, I have never seen someone ever go "Warframe iz best gaem ever how dare you!!!!" in the forums nor someone closely simular to that.

I quit around 2015 on PS4 and never did any of the story missions. Came back at Switch Launch. When I came back it was exciting for that, now I've gone through a lot of it again. I wonder where that jolt of interest can come up from again. I understand the break.

27 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

Even though the same pizza is still there and they are free to either try the new dishes or not lol.

Why can't i take the new toppings from the new pizza and try them with the old base? Wy do i have to bite into a soggy and lumpy base when i could enjoy the new stuff with the good old base we already had? As in, why can't i get any of the things from deimos without suffering through the BS that it is? Don't need them? No S#&$, but then the update might as well not exist.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)Yggranya said:

Why can't i take the new toppings from the new pizza and try them with the old base? Wy do i have to bite into a soggy and lumpy base when i could enjoy the new stuff with the good old base we already had? As in, why can't i get any of the things from deimos without suffering through the BS that it is? Don't need them? No S#&$, but then the update might as well not exist.

I don't have a reason or desire to get a necramech at the moment, but I already am building Xaku simply because I forgot I had the parts after playing since the content dropped. 

I got the trumna which was a 2 day grind basically. 

Can't be that bad to get some Deimos items unless you're the CEO of a fortune 500 company that has a family and volunteers 3 days a week lol.

10 hours ago, vanaukas said:

Necramechs are being integrated into regular mission with the next operation*, railjack will have archwing merged with it, liches too. I mean, you can't put something that big into the game without being an "content island" first and iterating, at least in Warframe.  Railjack is almost a YEAR old ...

So, my quesiton is, why people include content with less than a year of work as a "unfinished content that DE forgot?" This isn't conclave/lunaro ("forgotten" content). Even archwing had years of implementation due the difficulty in making space physics for the team. 

It's just too damn easy making a statement like this and ignoring that they are working towards it, regardless how many of you, oh so bored veterans that "need" to make post about how or why they leave or why they don't play anymore. The lack of self-awareness of that portion of the community is astounding. Devs "ignore" your mesianic delusions and they just focus on working for a reason. No sane person would try to catter this audience. No game catter to this audience, because it's an audience that is nostaligc on a game that doesn't exist anymore ("uh but muh old closed corridor ninja style") and just want to the game to be stuck on the same core loop while at the same time asking for more content. 

Honestly, if warframe woudln't followed this path, it would be dead, and if you disagree, you can look for other veterans that are really bored of grinding and killing the same enemies over and over again, to the point that any interruption of mere seconds in a mission starts a storm because "DE IS MAKING THE GAME LONGER ARTIFICIALLY!!!", "DE I NEED THOSE 2 or 10 EXTRA SECONDS!!! YOU DON'T UDNERSTAND!!!"

DE needs to work and that's all. They are doing it. We give feedback. They take whatever they need (and if they miss, we tell them, as always).

So, keep lurking here ona  forum game you don't play anymore. I'm sure you are no different than those dramatubers that always "leave warframe for good" just to miseteriously appear when new content (aka more views and likes for that CC) is added to the game. It's just too damn easy.

well  , new players stick to the game because of that boring corridor bullet jumping game you describe with the base star chart so .. 

Since every darn thing is about new players , new players this and that , there is your argument .

10 hours ago, Hypernaut1 said:

That's like eating 1000 pizzas, getting sick of the flavor and blaming the pizzeria for not changing their recipe, while also calling them terrible cooks. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of new customers enjoying their first thousand slices. Chances are they are just going to keep making pizza the way they know how. 

Actually, if you read the post it's more like I enjoy the pizzeria for being a place for getting pizza and suddenly the pizzeria is bringing in dishes (types of food) that have nothing to do with pizza. They're putting things on pizza that really have no place being on pizza. 

They installed station just for an unrelated dishes but it was never finished for several years, then they start another thing which also has nothing to do with pizza. They focus so much on trying new things rather than what people liked about the pizzeria in the first place.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb (NSW)VenTheWeeb:

I honestly don't get where this "White Knight rules the forums" comes from. most people come here (the feedback forum pages and General Discussion specifically) to criticize the game and suggest new ideas. not to be DE's shield, I have never seen someone ever go "Warframe iz best gaem ever how dare you!!!!" in the forums nor someone closely simular to that.

I have.

18 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

what do you base that on, other than your feelings?

- archwing
- k-drive
- necramechs
- Operators

Archwing was implemented years ago and the novelty wore off. It did not serve or contribute to the central concept of the game and it was rather half-baked. It is only just now being phased out by Railjack which serves to bridge the gap and bring focus back to tile set combat. DE is even taking weapons from archwing in implementing them into the normal play.

K-Drives are basically useless in comparison to archwings (which were thankfully made useful for open worlds.) Sure you get a cool hover skateboard that you can do tricks on, but that is basically a mini-game.

Necramechs, what does this have to do with playing Space Ninjas? They are very cool bosses - but what does using necramechs actually have to do with the central concept of the game? Are they merely the vehicles for traversing the infested landscape of Deimos? There are already those large flying creatures as well as archwings and K-drives. Necramechs right now they feel like another mini-game.

I am not entirely opposed to implementing fun little mini-games or side games, but as long as the rest of the game is more solid. Wouldn't it make more sense that there is some type of universal vehicle rather than making an entirely separate one every time there's a new open world area added?

The only vehicle I see as necessary is Railjack because it serves the primary concept of the game and works to rectify Archwings.

Operators are a cool concept that we know were conceived at the origin of the game and tbf necramechs were an exploration of doing something more with them. Things that are done right is making areas you can't access until you have unlocked the operator - it encourages players to revisit content. BUT Operators were also a half-baked system for quite some time.

When adding new content or features it should be towards the greater goal of the making something resembling a complete/cohesive game. Not piling half-baked or broken systems on top of each other. 

I see DE pushing for the main narrative but doing very little to flesh out the rest of the universe. It's like it's in perpetual beta and feature creep with a lack of identity.

14 hours ago, vanaukas said:

I mean, this approach had worked for 7 years, put them on the global radar and they have contracts with major console companies by now. 

we are already seeing the consequences now. The game is NOT dying but it is stagnating in growth and is alienating many who joined the game in the early days. Echoing the same sentiments. Despite support for 7 years now, DE does not seem to be pushing towards a cohesive vision for the game. What many people including myself want is for DE to just make the game at this point but they have been caught the cycle of perpetually adding features to get new players and constantly fixing those features rather than making a solid base game that can be added onto.

Warframe lacks a solid foundation for the feature creep and it shows. This is why many people have called to DE to go back and focus on the central concept of the game.

Do the doomsayers not realize that we have doomsayers from the start of all GaaS games, Day 0?

And yet the very GaaS games the doomsayers lament, keep on chugging, and the doomsayers say 'it will happen, just wait'...

Guess what? So will the heat-death of the Universe.

Do the doomsayers not understand that they are standing on a virtual street-corner, yelling at random people that the sky is falling as they go about their enjoyable day?

It will never stop being entertaining to watch, I guess, but wow, it is hilarious that these people still rant like this after literal years of being proven wrong.

But in the end, for some people, it's a sport to dis the ex, they just cannot move on with life after discovering something is simply no longer pleasurable because they burnt themselves out on it.

"I don't like it anymore and I have to prove to everyone that the game is no longer fun." - not really a great platform, IME.

19 hours ago, Iccotak said:

Warframe feels like a Castle that is built on the ruins of a castle, which is also built on the ruins of a castle

Of all your post I can agree with this. 

For me the problem are not the open worlds, the mechs, RJ and all the new content as many others claim. In my opinion the very problem is that all these things are disjointed and not fully supported. Common practice in WF is now that when a system launchs, it gets supported for a bit of time and then left alone forgotten and unpolished to focus on the new addition to call back audience. 

And the more time passes, more are the features in need of support: Focus, Operators, Lichs, Archwing, Railjack, PoE, Orbis and now Deimos and Mechs.

I enjoyed that Mechs were happily welcomed from the community, that DE is really investing in them, and that was decided to eventually make them viable in normal missions. That's all what we really ask : more options to play, worth to be used compared to what we already have, and connected with the rest. I'd appreciate experimenting even much more than what is done with warframes, to avoid having just 2 different kind of duplicates.

Following this path and not falling in the usual bad habits of leaving not popular features unfinished and disconnected, can and will only make the game better on every aspect.

8 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

Do the doomsayers not understand that they are standing on a virtual street-corner, yelling at random people that the sky is falling as they go about their enjoyable day?

I think this thread is one of the few that don't deserve dismissive remarks like this one.
I don't see any doom saying here, or people yelling that the sky is falling. The OP just gave his view of the game, in a very respectful way, and made some solid points on the state of development of warframe, without bashing or saying that the game is falling apart or about to shut down; something that is extremely rare in this kind of threads.

I'm all for respectful, constructive feedback, and it's really annoying when someone tries to bash this kind of topics just for the sake of white knighting.

8 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

Do the doomsayers not realize that we have doomsayers from the start of all GaaS games, Day 0?

Criticizing the game is not being a Doomsayer. Generalizing everyone as doomsayers as a way to dismiss the point is disingenuous. 

- "There's always doomsayers"
is not a valid counterpoint to
- "Hey the game has a serious issue of stacking unfinished systems, which sometimes have nothing to do with the core concept of the game, on top of one another and leaving poorly implemented systems neglected for years"

This is a forum for giving feedback. The feedback is simple: Please focus on features that contribute to the long term vision, build, and health of the game rather than experimental features that only bring short term novelty.

Edited for composition 

Look, you are giving feedback and at the same time, doom saying, because you imply that if DE does not do the things you suggest, WF will die.

Saying "I would like it if" and implying that the game will die if your ideas are not followed are not the same thing.

My 'counterpoint' is simple - direct your 'feedback' to the right place, make it constructive, and don't try to imply the game is or will die because they don't follow your examples.

Ranting on the General Forum about holding back your money until they meet your demands is not feedback.

PS - Nowhere in my posts will you find 'Everyone'. I said doomsayers. Did not even name names, but you responded anyway.

2 hours ago, Zimzala said:

Look, you are giving feedback and at the same time, doom saying, because you imply that if DE does not do the things you suggest, WF will die.

Nowhere did I say that the game was going to die. I said it isn't focusing on the core gameplay and that is harming the game.

And the point was constructive. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's not constructive. 

EDIT: Also this is the place where you put feedback - that is literally the point of this forum.

And I certainly did not threaten to them with my wallet. I spoke as a supporter of the game. I pointed out why the game has become lackluster for me and I pointed out that the sentiment in the post (i.e. not focusing on the core concept of the game) is not the first time it has been spoken about.

and nowhere am I bashing them.

50 minutes ago, Iccotak said:

Necramechs, what does this have to do with playing Space Ninjas? They are very cool bosses - but what does using necramechs actually have to do with the central concept of the game? Are they merely the vehicles for traversing the infested landscape of Deimos? There are already those large flying creatures as well as archwings and K-drives. Necramechs right now they feel like another mini-game.

Mechs are cool, and that's enough for me

also if I recall correctly they were used as front-line dreadnaughts back in The Old War, that's even cooler, from a lore perspective it makes sense to have a more "rugged" version of something infinitely more advanced in a sci-fi world setting (like Iron Man Armor Mark 0)

Warframe used to be like a delicious local family owned pizzeria. The building was on the far side of town and the lines were long, but man it was delicious pizza. Now it looks more like a combination Pizza Hut / Taco Bell / KFC fast food kiosk. Sure now I can order a bucket of friend pepperoni topped with gummy bears and oreos, but a good solid slice of pizza? Not even on the menu. Here's hoping DE gets back to WF basics, and away from Wharf Farm Manual Labor Simulator 2020.

The bottom line is pretty simple for me.

IMO/IME, this thread and those like it are just rants by people that cannot understand that they have simply changed and grown in a way that makes the game no longer fun and they cannot deal that other than trying to make the game, much like a Significant Other, change into something they think they would now enjoy.

The sheer number of armchair developers I have seen come and go from GaaS game forums for the last two decades, with the same passive-aggressive outlooks, the same arguments of X hours making them experts, the same hollow 'but I spent money' statements, is hilariously staggering.

The entire premise of a GaaS game providing hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment to someone for them to, after all that entertainment value, turn on the GaaS game as if it's a jilted lover is both sad and hilarious.

Just as with the premise of this thread, this is an opinion, based on decades of watching gamers and interacting with them. Gamers think once they have figured out how to play a game that they know everything about it and decide to let the developers know about their incredible ideas...yeah...but it remains fun to watch...and this hamster wheel never stops turning...

"Next episode on How the Hamster Wheel Turns..."

Archived