Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I have taken a break for nearly the past 3 Years

Iccotak

2 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

The bottom line is pretty simple for me.

IMO/IME, this thread and those like it are just rants by people that cannot understand that they have simply changed and grown in a way that makes the game no longer fun and they cannot deal that other than trying to make the game, much like a Significant Other, change into something they think they would now enjoy.

The sheer number of armchair developers I have seen come and go from GaaS game forums for the last two decades, with the same passive-aggressive outlooks, the same arguments of X hours making them experts, the same hollow 'but I spent money' statements, is hilariously staggering.

The entire premise of a GaaS game providing hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment to someone for them to, after all that entertainment value, turn on the GaaS game as if it's a jilted lover is both sad and hilarious.

Just as with the premise of this thread, this is an opinion, based on decades of watching gamers and interacting with them. Gamers think once they have figured out how to play a game that they know everything about it and decide to let the developers know about their incredible ideas...yeah...but it remains fun to watch...and this hamster wheel never stops turning...

"Next episode on How the Hamster Wheel Turns..."

not listening to those 'gamers'' feedback from test cluster , tell me how that worked for them then , im eager to hear that .

4 hours ago, Iccotak said:

Actually, if you read the post it's more like I enjoy the pizzeria for being a place for getting pizza and suddenly the pizzeria is bringing in dishes (types of food) that have nothing to do with pizza. They're putting things on pizza that really have no place being on pizza. 

They installed station just for an unrelated dishes but it was never finished for several years, then they start another thing which also has nothing to do with pizza. They focus so much on trying new things rather than what people liked about the pizzeria in the first place.

Strange, because I do view railjack as a normal progression in a space sci fi game that already had combat since the third (or second?) year of the game. Saying that space combat is something "new" that "wasn't in their plans" or something like that is just dismiss countless of interviews, dev streams and the game itself, because you didn't liked it, because you say "hey this is not what I signed here for!". 

Put off your nostalgia googles man. The game never will ve the game you played 2013-2014, 6 years have been passed and you still refuse to adapt to the new things. If you want to stay forever playing in the corridor, play in the corridor man. Don't bother woth the stuff you don't want. The new stuff it's the stuff that is bugged right now, "core corridor gameplay" it's still there, less broken than 3 yeaes ago. You don't need to do OW, AW or Railjack if you don't want. Every content locked behind that "new" gameplay is more new gameplay. If you hate that much space combat and evrrything you mentioned here:

1 hour ago, Iccotak said:

- archwing
- k-drive
- necramechs
- Operators

Archwing was implemented years ago and the novelty wore off. It did not serve or contribute to the central concept of the game and it was rather half-baked. It is only just now being phased out by Railjack which serves to bridge the gap and bring focus back to tile set combat. DE is even taking weapons from archwing in implementing them into the normal play.

K-Drives are basically useless in comparison to archwings (which were thankfully made useful for open worlds.) Sure you get a cool hover skateboard that you can do tricks on, but that is basically a mini-game.

Necramechs, what does this have to do with playing Space Ninjas? They are very cool bosses - but what does using necramechs actually have to do with the central concept of the game? Are they merely the vehicles for traversing the infested landscape of Deimos? There are already those large flying creatures as well as archwings and K-drives. Necramechs right now they feel like another mini-game.

I am not entirely opposed to implementing fun little mini-games or side games, but as long as the rest of the game is more solid. Wouldn't it make more sense that there is some type of universal vehicle rather than making an entirely separate one every time there's a new open world area added?

The only vehicle I see as necessary is Railjack because it serves the primary concept of the game and works to rectify Archwings.

Operators are a cool concept that we know were conceived at the origin of the game and tbf necramechs were an exploration of doing something more with them. Things that are done right is making areas you can't access until you have unlocked the operator - it encourages players to revisit content. BUT Operators were also a half-baked system for quite some time.

When adding new content or features it should be towards the greater goal of the making something resembling a complete/cohesive game. Not piling half-baked or broken systems on top of each other. 

I see DE pushing for the main narrative but doing very little to flesh out the rest of the universe. It's like it's in perpetual beta and feature creep with a lack of identity.

we are already seeing the consequences now. The game is NOT dying but it is stagnating in growth and is alienating many who joined the game in the early days. Echoing the same sentiments. Despite support for 7 years now, DE does not seem to be pushing towards a cohesive vision for the game. What many people including myself want is for DE to just make the game at this point but they have been caught the cycle of perpetually adding features to get new players and constantly fixing those features rather than making a solid base game that can be added onto.

Warframe lacks a solid foundation for the feature creep and it shows. This is why many people have called to DE to go back and focus on the central concept of the game.

Then avoid it man. The game won't stop evolving to the direction devs want because you refuse to accept new stuff and just parrot other peopñes opinioms, because you haven't tried most of the new stuff you are bashing here. You'll never feel how amazing is having a full railjsck, a full voidrig and blast things with them. Trully a shame.

You say that railjack "rectified" srchwing, not at all. Look for every single space combat game, movie or book. Every space battle has, at leat, 3 types of ship: Small and weaker but fast and "agile" ship (archwing), big ship that can't manouver too fast but it's ppwerful (aka railjack) and the biggest ship that is almost a city on it's own (capitol ships, coming with the next big update after necramechs in regular missions). How that isn't a progression in a vision?

Then we have K-drives. K-drives can be used by new players to move faster because there is peiple that complain avout needing an AW to traverse fast in the OW areas. It's not just a mini game, but you didn't know that because you never played it. Did you know k-drives doesn't touch the floor and you sre inmune to most of ground enemy cc? (including the cetus night water).

Nercamechs. If you played the Heart of Deimos quest (wich, you didn't) you can see there why necramech exist. Necramexhs are used in "void nullfied" areas, where warframes doesn't work. If you played every quest by now, you can already see why we are going to use them again.

I'm tired. Play the #*!%ing game first instead parroting about stuff you didn't tried. If you feel yoy don't need to try them, you are wrong.

It all boils down to DE and their attempt to dodge giving endgame , players will always be vocal about it , you yourself enjoying slaying 50 level grineer over and over and over again to gain 10 plat per hour is not gonna stop them voicing their thoughts on the game , its people .

For the sake of it, think about it for a second . Why people find necramechs and railjack and liches to an extent just islands ? ask yourself. 

Because ones that play the game after the early game , are the ones that like the base game of tilesets , that is what you get at the start of everything in this game , even archwing is disliked on the major.  

Just a note; before asking for where im pulling this off , do i have statistics ?!. I dont need to convince you , have fun agreeing this within yourself because you know its true . 

Second note; if youre having fun playing the game theres nothing wrong with it , and i have no intention to disrupt it , but also i have freedom to voice my opinions and observations too , just like you do .

23 minutes ago, Zimzala said:

The bottom line is pretty simple for me.

IMO/IME, this thread and those like it are just rants by people that cannot understand that they have simply changed and grown in a way that makes the game no longer fun and they cannot deal that other than trying to make the game, much like a Significant Other, change into something they think they would now enjoy.

The sheer number of armchair developers I have seen come and go from GaaS game forums for the last two decades, with the same passive-aggressive outlooks, the same arguments of X hours making them experts, the same hollow 'but I spent money' statements, is hilariously staggering.

The entire premise of a GaaS game providing hundreds or thousands of hours of entertainment to someone for them to, after all that entertainment value, turn on the GaaS game as if it's a jilted lover is both sad and hilarious.

Just as with the premise of this thread, this is an opinion, based on decades of watching gamers and interacting with them. Gamers think once they have figured out how to play a game that they know everything about it and decide to let the developers know about their incredible ideas...yeah...but it remains fun to watch...and this hamster wheel never stops turning...

"Next episode on How the Hamster Wheel Turns..."

Funny part is bashing new content becase deviates too much from "the core gameplay" (devs countless of times said "that gameplay was what we could do at that time, but we always wanted space combat but we were unable to make it happen at first") but at the same time they are mad because they want to try the new stuff but doing the "old stuff". Imagine calling "new content" to content that have more than 5 years implemented in the game but you neglct because "ug it zucz" without trying it. 

20 hours ago, Iccotak said:

But overall, like World of Warcraft, I think DE need to take a step back and ask; “What serves the central concept of the game which drew players in the first place?”

Blizzard strayed far from the original concept, it has been everywhere, from deep to shallow S#&$-for-brains progression. Plagued with imbalance lasting years, shifting from valueble CC tactics to braindead dungeon zerging where you arent really sure if the speedbump is a boss or another trash elite, kinda wonder what that "heroic" tag actually means. Up to and through WotLK it was great or good, then with cata it turned into a massive poopfest. You got the feeling that they designed content by rolling a dice and following a table of some sort. And in RPG terms, that table ended up as fumbles constantly.

DE tries to actually make their initial concept a reality, which is what they are working towards slowly now that RJ is finaly a thing. The things that drew the players from the start was what DE had to settle with when their idea couldnt be made a reality at the time. But that which they had to settle with at the time due to technical limitations shouldnt be what defines the game as the central concept when there is a core idea that is actually very different.

They could have said "screw it!" and thrown away WF after 7+ years and just made a WF2, resetting everything and introducing the original idea they had for WF. I prefer that they constantly try to make the vision a reality in WF instead of having to start over in a second WF installment.

I do agree though that WF has too many islands. An easy quick fix would be to tie all modes to Steel Path. That would give the whole game a unified purpose (essence) along with specific side purposes depending on the mode played (cracking relics, hunting liches, arbis, railjack and so on.).

18 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

Blizzard strayed far from the original concept, it has been everywhere, from deep to shallow S#&$-for-brains progression. Plagued with imbalance lasting years, shifting from valueble CC tactics to braindead dungeon zerging where you arent really sure if the speedbump is a boss or another trash elite, kinda wonder what that "heroic" tag actually means. Up to and through WotLK it was great or good, then with cata it turned into a massive poopfest. You got the feeling that they designed content by rolling a dice and following a table of some sort. And in RPG terms, that table ended up as fumbles constantly.

DE tries to actually make their initial concept a reality, which is what they are working towards slowly now that RJ is finaly a thing. The things that drew the players from the start was what DE had to settle with when their idea couldnt be made a reality at the time. But that which they had to settle with at the time due to technical limitations shouldnt be what defines the game as the central concept when there is a core idea that is actually very different.

They could have said "screw it!" and thrown away WF after 7+ years and just made a WF2, resetting everything and introducing the original idea they had for WF. I prefer that they constantly try to make the vision a reality in WF instead of having to start over in a second WF installment.

I do agree though that WF has too many islands. An easy quick fix would be to tie all modes to Steel Path. That would give the whole game a unified purpose (essence) along with specific side purposes depending on the mode played (cracking relics, hunting liches, arbis, railjack and so on.).

Part of that is due to drastically different teams for Blizzard's World of Warcraft development. Indeed, the original team left because the direction into a paid for service model instead of the original free to play rpg intent. There are some excellent resources out there detailing exactly what you are talking about SneakyErvin, and at least part of it was due to the handing of between teams and how Blizzard changed hands and management over the years.

Personally, I like a lot of the expansions we've gotten, but I think we've got enough of them that we can ease off totally new stuff.

Warframe needs new content to thrive. That has always and, barring some unforseen circumstances, will always be the case. But we have enough unfilled foundation content for there to be plenty of new content to work with in the long run. Railjack needs new stuff, Operators desperately need something to live up to their story role without needing dozens of hours of grind and more Necramechs would be nice, especially from different factions - bonus points if different factions mechs control in different ways to keep things freshened up. So a Grineer mech is even more sluggish but can maybe pack multiple guns, or a Corpus mech gets teleport tech built in, and a Tenno-made Mech doesn't rely on fuel.

Basically, we don't need dramatically new stuff where we are right now. We've got enough stuff that can be expanded to fill several expansions worth full of new stuff. Whether you like that stuff or not. On that level, 'fixing' stuff and 'adding stuff' is pretty similar. Not a bad place to be in.

Of course, there's the ugly side to this. The content we have, and the content we're gonna get faces issues that go back to core issues with the game's systems. That core, dungeon-crawling space ninja game that people want DE to focus on has plenty of parts that are well and truly broken. There's a reason why, despite how much content using it we have got (a good 2/3rds of all the new stuff lately has been that!), people keep forgetting, ignoring, or optimising it all into oblivion.

Fixing this is ugly, it gets people angry, and it doesn't get many new customers. But we really can't have this both ways. We want the old ways of doing content to not only see more relevance, but also not get curb-stomped by the community, we're gonna need to eat some hard changes, and some nerfs. That's just a fact of life - we're done progressing as is to the point where the systems we've got are worn, tired and so stretched that all the flaws that were always there, but small and non-threatening are now glaring and threatening to tear the game apart. 

Scaling needs addressing. Nothing plays by the same rules anymore. Guns don't scale, most powers don't scale, and Warframe core stats don't scale. Melee scales, some powers and mods do scale, and enemies scale at two different rates (with armour and not with armour). If things aren't playing by the same rules, then that makes problems, because DE can't make meaningful changes when it's going to affect half the game completely differently to the other half of the game. Either everything scales at the same rate, or nothing scales. DE has to make that call, and they're gonna make players angry when they do because it WILL screw over some part of the playerbase.

Resource Management needs addressing. Not the 'mutagen samples' kind of resource, I mean health, energy, ammo. Half this stuff was designed for a different game at this point, and even if the core systems don't change, the means by which we acquire them, and the rate at which we use them needs updating. We can get aaaallll the energy and the ammo and this makes big guns and big powers occupy the same usability class as the small ones, and that needs to change. If we can shut down enemies forever, or nuke them into oblivion in rapid-fire, or make them totally ignore us forever, then enemies, and from there combat, and from there mob brawls will keep being uninteresting spamfests that never change no matter what coat we get wrapped on them and we'll keep getting BS like the Wolf of Saturn or Nihil, or Necramechs or so forth. Anything of any importance will stay everything-immune nonsense because it has to be to have even the tiniest faintest scrap of relevance in the current meta where we can snap our fingers and unmake the game design for as long as we see fit. We don't even need to stop having either individually. They just need to be made

Lastly, a core design philosophy needs to change. DE has been so anxious to give players choice, they've inadvertently stumbled into implicitly restricting it. We are lumberjacks given the choices of axes that nee sharpening, chainsaws that need fuelling, saws that need multiple people to work, a wacky sharp stick that's goofy but kind of impractical... and an autonomous, solar-powered drone that can cut down 1 tree a second and process it into usable wood and run forever. We're given a lot of choices so we get to determine our strengths and our weaknesses, and that's good. But we're also given the choice to have no weaknesses, and all the strengths. We've got tons of choices, and it includes the best choice. And as long as that choice exists? All the others become meaningless. For loot in the game to mean something more than just a bigger damage number, then it needs to have drawbacks. For there to be a moment where you bring out the big guns and pull out all the stops, you need to have the big guns not brought out and the stops firmly in their place. And there needs to be a reason why you had them in there to begin with. Be that built into the weapons design, or because of the aforementioned resource management.

So yeah. Those are my thoughts on the topic.

1 hour ago, vanaukas said:

Strange, because I do view railjack as a normal progression in a space sci fi game that already had combat since the third (or second?) year of the game. Saying that space combat is something "new" that "wasn't in their plans" or something like that is just dismiss countless of interviews, dev streams and the game itself, because you didn't liked it, because you say "hey this is not what I signed here for!". 

never bashed on railjack or space combat. it was a vast improvement over archwing which was too separate from the rest of the game.

Railjack bridges the gap between space combat and tile set "Space Ninja" gameplay 👍

1 minute ago, Iccotak said:

never bashed on railjack or space combat. it was a vast improvement over archwing which was too separate from the rest of the game.

Railjack bridges the gap between space combat and tile set "Space Ninja" gameplay 👍

You can see how they tried (and failed) to do it with Jordas Golem and some Cross-fire missions that have archwing parts. Railjack it's the naturl progression of the system, not the thing that made AW viable. Everytime the devs tried to put AW more closer to the game, the rants started (and with a reason, AW movement system wasn't too good at first). Thing is, they iterated enough AW to create railjack, worked and we will have both system merged into one. Content islands are starting to dissapear after like, 4 years of constant tech and mechanical improvements. We are finally here, in the beggining of their "dream game" and I'm glad I've been part of that growth all this years.

2 hours ago, killerJoke66 said:

not listening to those 'gamers'' feedback from test cluster , tell me how that worked for them then , im eager to hear that .

Ranting on General Forums about the good old days that never existed != Beta Server feedback.

Player views on Beta Servers ~= Good, Actionable constructive feedback.

Just because someone takes the time to post something does not make it valid feedback.

Just because a vocal minority do not like something, does not make it 'bad'.

As for how 'worked out' - some GaaS games are still here and some are not.

I am in a very similar situation. This used to be my favorite game, and I played it for a couple years to the near complete exclusion of all other games. I pretty much only took a short break when I was waiting for a new frame to build or something like that.

But then, during the post-PoE content drought, I took a break for about a year. Fortuna had been out for months by the time I came back. I enjoyed playing through that, too, but the fun only lasted for a couple weeks. So I went back to waiting for something else worthwhile to come along. And, I am still waiting, only checking in every big update or two to see is anything is finally worth spending any time on again.

Because the main thing keeping me from playing anymore is the massive fun tax Warframe demands of its players. The amount of time or platinum you have to spend before you can get anything new in this game is ridiculous, so the end result better be worth it. But I have been disappointed by my "reward" too many times at this point to keep trying. The investment to payout ratio is atrocious. Especially now, since most of the new stuff DE expects me to pay for is not even remotely related to the game I actually came here to play. And with so many other games out there that don't demand such a huge up front investment before they let you start having fun, its just not worth it to play Warframe anymore.

Plus, during the break, I realized just how broken and badly deigned most of Warframe actually is. Because I spent all that time playing games that actually had some proper thought, and planning, and time spent on making them. It was like discovering my diamond ring is actually just glass, and the only reason I thought it was diamond at all was because I hadn't had a real diamond to compare it to before now.

That's why I think everyone should take a big break from Warframe at some point. Especially its most vehement defenders. Exploring outside your comfy little box can be an eye opening experience. Yes, I know, the FOMO is scary. But you'll get over it quickly, because you're not really going to miss anything that's actually important. DE just wants you to think you will to keep you trapped here. But do you really need yet another Nightwave skin you'll never wear? Or yet another event weapon you'll just master and toss? And you don't need the newest frame RIGHT NOW, you can wait a couple months for it to be patched and balanced better.

5 minutes ago, Teljaxx said:

That's why I think everyone should take a big break from Warframe at some point. Especially its most vehement defenders. Exploring outside your comfy little box can be an eye opening experience. Yes, I know, the FOMO is scary. But you'll get over it quickly, because you're not really going to miss anything that's actually important. DE just wants you to think you will to keep you trapped here. But do you really need yet another Nightwave skin you'll never wear? Or yet another event weapon you'll just master and toss? And you don't need the newest frame RIGHT NOW, you can wait a couple months for it to be patched and balanced better.

This is just sensible life advice right here! How dare you bring such logic onto a game forum! 🤣

The biggest issue I see daily is the large number of people that forget this is game to pass the time in an entertaining way.

It's just a video game, not a vocation.

If this one irritates, there are thousands more to choose from, with more out daily, open your world!

2 hours ago, Teljaxx said:

Some of us know what kind of game we're playing and dont expect a life changing experience everytime we log in.  I dont get the angst over it.

anyone experiencing true FOMO with WF hasnt been paying attention, Everything rotates in this game. I dont really think DE ever pushes the "get it now or its gone forever" angle. They even gave us "Excalibur prime". 

3 hours ago, Teljaxx said:

You should take a break from ANYTHING if you're feeling bored. If it's not your job, then you can afford to. Now, I take breaks from Warframe, just like I take from Guild Wars 2 and Warcraft, which I took years and still don't feel like playing again. It just happens, it's nothing to go crazy about. But will you see me talking S#&$ about Warcraft's dungeons and raids design? No, because I haven't played it. OP is ranting about something he hasn't played because it doesn't fit the ridiculous "space ninja" fantasy in a goddamned science fiction that is now much more rich and vast than narrow corridor fights. There is little space for stagnation in the game industry if you aren't one of the top dogs.

10 hours ago, Zimzala said:

about the good old days that never existed !

what does that even mean , what are you memeing here ?

Also 

10 hours ago, Zimzala said:

Player views on Beta Servers ~= Good, Actionable constructive feedback.

Just as my not factual opinion  , this is your not so factual opinion too :) dont talk about it in a manner that yours is any higher value . 

There are likely 2 outcomes when they dont consider the feedback , they either get backlashed or players sleep , regardless whether my or others' feedback being constructive or not is irrelevant in the result of the context that which matters the most , we fight for what we want of of the game  and opposedly  youre being gatekeeper about it and thats okay too at the end of the day its a free market , you have same impact as much as i do . thats all.

1 hour ago, killerJoke66 said:

and acting like there havent been any actual constructive feedback for the ones that gave them  , is ignorant on your part . 

You really are determined to read things into what I write to upset yourself...don't forget to breathe.

Do you even realize what ~= conveys? 'about equal to' - player feedback on test servers is somewhat constructive.

How do you turn that into anyone saying not feedback is ever constructive?

Just Wow.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Urlan:

Part of that is due to drastically different teams for Blizzard's World of Warcraft development. Indeed, the original team left because the direction into a paid for service model instead of the original free to play rpg intent. There are some excellent resources out there detailing exactly what you are talking about SneakyErvin, and at least part of it was due to the handing of between teams and how Blizzard changed hands and management over the years.

What the hell are you guys talking about. World of Warcraft is still and has always been a classical subscription MMO, one of the last to still make this model work. They never changed business models.

7 hours ago, Krankbert said:

What the hell are you guys talking about. World of Warcraft is still and has always been a classical subscription MMO, one of the last to still make this model work. They never changed business models.

Ironically, that was what was the breaking point for the original staff that developed War of Warcraft, but don't take my or another word on it; check out the original beta and stress tests back before the game went to open release. None of the original staff lasted through that purge as I understand, but it doesn't matter much. If any remnants of the old fansites still exist from the push from Warcraft 3 to World, you should be able to find more than enough to see the journey World has taken over the years.

2 hours ago, Urlan said:

Ironically, that was what was the breaking point for the original staff that developed Wprld of Warcraft, but don't take my or another word on it; check out the original beta and stress tests back before the game went to open release. None of the original staff lasted through that purge as I understand, but it doesn't matter much. If any remnants of the old fansites still exist from the push from Warcraft 3 to World, you should be able to find more than enough to see the journey World has taken over the years.

4 hours ago, ikkabotz said:

"New content" good or bad pulls numbers, hence "new content" is delivered. Ad infinitum. 

Doesn't that mean that people actually want new content then?

I'm not sure if I would still be playing Warframe of it didn't add flavor to basic gameplay.  I started playing Planetside 2, PoE and Warframe at around the same time. I return to Warframe and stay for far longer than I do those other games, which have remained mostly the exact same thing. 

Is it because Warframe evolves or is it just because I prefer space ninjas? I don't know for sure honestly. PoE and PS2 do suck me back in for a good few weeks then I take an extended break. WF is just always.. there. 

Archived