Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Man, those EGS exclusive skins...

KnossosTNC

*Sigh* I still resent this, but I really want those skins.

So yeah, downloading it now.

Edit: Done. At least the Shock Rifle skin includes authentic sounds and particle effects. And the Rocket Launcher skin's reload animation makes me feel something sinful in my loins.

Urgh. I feel dirty. Uninstalling.

1 hour ago, Guiver909 said:

So you have to DL the epic store that you don't want.give them access to all your data which they will promptly sell.wast you bandwidth DL'ing the WHOLE game again,uninstall both.

Its a scam to get your data,no thanks.

No. You are not using the word scam correctly. 

It's an incentive to get you to try their launcher for the first time, or give it another try. 

And for DE it's a chance to get their game in front of eyeballs that haven't tried it before or haven't thought about it in years and only tried it for a few hours. They give those new players a few starting weapons with cool skins they can relate to something they enjoyed in the past, and some slots and stuff. 

If you don't like Epic (I'm pretty neutral, don't play their games lately, but don't get the extreme hate I've seen from some) all you miss out on is a few skins and a syandana, no harm no foul. If you don't mind doing one extra download of Warframe you get free stuff. 

I'm honestly completely confused by the extreme hate some people have for Epic Games while still clearly desiring these skins. 

Epic Games collaborated with DE on UT ages back, so it's like wanting skins from a game made in part by a company you hate? 

The self-flagellation of some people is a source of amazement to me. 

1 hour ago, vegetosayajin said:

oh gawd, everyone who wants your data has it from years, from the moment you joined the great internetz
Stop deluding yourself. :D

OT.: I find it hilarious when my conspiracy theory friends talk about the government tracking us through things like the covid-19 vaccine, yet they use cell phones, bank cards and social media. I'm always like 

"your doing a fine enough job volunteering all the info they could need"

16 hours ago, Roble_Viejo said:

Ok, now this is Epic. *te-hee*
Thanks man

16 hours ago, vanaukas said:

be aware that you are going to get* the syandanna with a hotfix, but if you already have the items claimed in your account it should appear in your account when it drops, doens't matter if you already deleted EGS version.

I was wrong, it's needs to be done AGAIN through EGS.... 

37 minutes ago, Ailia_Grimm said:

Yeah, EG didn't really think this through

My guess is they are doing this with a bunch of games. Loads of people will install their launcher and then uninstall an hour later after claiming their free stuff.

Then they'll collect their data, "Wow! X number of totally new downloads and new accounts within a single month!" They'll bring this to their investors, who will be overjoyed, and then invest more heavily. 

Business world sure is funny :D

1 minute ago, Sevek7 said:

My guess is they are doing this with a bunch of games. Loads of people will install their launcher and then uninstall an hour later after claiming their free stuff.

Then they'll collect their data, "Wow! X number of totally new downloads and new accounts within a single month!" They'll bring this to their investors, who will be overjoyed, and then invest more heavily. 

Business world sure is funny :D

Imagine not knowing how marketing works lmfao

6 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I know.

Okay, now I get it. You're laughing at me saying I don't know how marketing works. Nice one. 

It could also be that I know something you don't. But from your attitude I guess that's not a thought that crosses your mind very often.

I'll leave it at that. Not interested in getting trolled by you & the toxicity you already displayed. If you quote me again, I won't respond.

8 minutes ago, Sevek7 said:

Okay, now I get it. You're laughing at me saying I don't know how marketing works. Nice one. 

It could also be that I know something you don't. But from your attitude I guess that's not a thought that crosses your mind very often.

I'll leave it at that. Not interested in getting trolled by you & the toxicity you already displayed. If you quote me again, I won't respond.

chill out tenno, you said something that it's true but not* on the way you presented it. They count those views/downloads as potential consummers. Every marketing team knows that just a few % of people will stick to what is offering something free. I'm sure you know a lot of things I don't, like writting politely.

15 hours ago, XRosenkreuz said:

What possible reason could they have for doing that- or anyone have for going with that option- when downloading the Epic launcher takes less than 5 minutes, setting up the 'install' of Warframe takes however long your computer needs to copy the files over, then you can just launch the game once, shut it down as soon as you've logged in, uninstall the Epic launcher, and never think about it again?

I mean it's your money, throw it around however you like, but good god...

Because I don't use the Epic Launcher, and never will.  (I could explain why, but since it's no one else's business and not negotiable I don't see the point.)  I'd rather *give them money* than jump through a bunch of hoops to claim a free item.

In general, some people don't have 2TB hard drives that are half empty, and might not actually have the 35+ Gb of free space to copy the game.  It's maybe not common, but it's not impossible.  And copying files around (or even redirecting programs to non-standard install folders) is actually way more technical than some people are comfortable with.  At least part of the reason consoles continue to exist is that some people don't want to deal with "hacker stuff" every time they just want to sit down after dinner and play a game.

The Epic Launcher isn't a problem *FOR YOU.*  That doesn't give you any right to be dismissive about people for whom it *is* a problem.

11 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

Epic Games collaborated with DE on UT ages back, so it's like wanting skins from a game made in part by a company you hate?

Unreal Tournament is from before Epic became massive enough to start trying to corner the market with Epic Store Exclusives, and other anti-consumer $&*^ery.  (Like launching a digital store that lacked features common to all other stores for over a decade, but strongarming people into using it with... Epic Store Exclusives.)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm allowed to be nostalgic about something from the past without having any desire to engage with where it is going now and in the future.  Some people like the Star Wars Original Trilogy, and thing the following six movies are complete garbage that should never have existed.  Hating "Rise of the Skywalker" doesn't mean they're not allowed to have fond memories of "Empire Strikes Back."

1 hour ago, EmberStar said:

Unreal Tournament is from before Epic became massive enough to start trying to corner the market with Epic Store Exclusives, and other anti-consumer $&*^ery.  (Like launching a digital store that lacked features common to all other stores for over a decade, but strongarming people into using it with... Epic Store Exclusives.)

As far as I'm concerned, I'm allowed to be nostalgic about something from the past without having any desire to engage with where it is going now and in the future.  Some people like the Star Wars Original Trilogy, and thing the following six movies are complete garbage that should never have existed.  Hating "Rise of the Skywalker" doesn't mean they're not allowed to have fond memories of "Empire Strikes Back."

I'm not trying to tell you what you are allowed to do. 

If you want to be nostalgic about UT, while hating who Epic is, it doesn't infringe on my rights as a human being so it's not my business if you want to do that. 

For me I would mentally struggle to both actively enjoy old skins for the nostalgia while always knowing in the back of my mind they were from a company I hate. And if I exchanged straight platinum or money for them, almost certainly Epic, the company I hypothetically hate, would be getting a cut. So now I'm not just giving them an inflate in their download and activity counts, I'm straight giving them money. 

For me personally I feel like I would be mentally bothering myself in one way to mentally uplift myself in another way, which is why I call it self-flagellating. YMMV, maybe it's easier for you to compartmentalize your feelings and block them away, but I would find it self defeating, and just be reminded of my bitterness and hatred for a once great company every time I used them, instead of just enjoying nostalgia. 

1 minute ago, Tesseract7777 said:

I'm not trying to tell you what you are allowed to do. 

If you want to be nostalgic about UT, while hating who Epic is, it doesn't infringe on my rights as a human being so it's not my business if you want to do that. 

For me I would mentally struggle to both actively enjoy old skins for the nostalgia while always knowing in the back of my mind they were from a company I hate. And if I exchanged straight platinum or money for them, almost certainly Epic, the company I hypothetically hate, would be getting a cut. So now I'm not just giving them an inflate in their download and activity counts, I'm straight giving them money. 

For me personally I feel like I would be mentally bothering myself in one way to mentally uplift myself in another way, which is why I call it self-flagellating. YMMV, maybe it's easier for you to compartmentalize your feelings and block them away, but I would find it self defeating, and just be reminded of my bitterness and hatred for a once great company every time I used them, instead of just enjoying nostalgia. 

If you want to tie yourself in knots overthinking it to that level, that's your business.  They are skins.  In a game developed and maintained by DE.  Who included skins as a nod to a game they worked on in the past.  Did Epic make the new models for their "in development" version of Unreal Tournament?  Don't know, don't care.  If DE offers them in game for platinum I'll probably buy them.  Because that's money that goes more or less directly to DE, and has nothing to do with Epic.  (And as a F2P game, Epic isn't getting a ton of money for Warframe in any case.  They probably want it to expand their library and make using their launcher more appealing.)

I don't struggle at all with doing things that cost Epic money and provide no benefit to them.  I had an account there from before Fortnite became a Battle Royale, back before they dropped the PVE version like a bag of hammers.  I've never installed the EGS launcher.  I do claim the free games.  On their balance books, I'm a customer worth about negative $1500 or so now, assuming they're accurate about how much they pay devs to offer those freebies.  So no, I wouldn't be conflicted at all about using the skins.  I just refuse to install the Epic Launcher.

Archived