Printing own shirts for myself with warframe logo?

livingshadow7

22 minutes ago, (PSN)Apoleon_amarr said:

like that guy that printed the n word

This probably isn't the best example because you had best believe that if you wear a shirt like that in most settings, people are going to have an issue, and depending on where you are located it may even be illegal due to laws around hate speech.  But you are correct that it wouldn't be copyright/trademark/etc infringement.

But Apoleon_amarr's general sentiment is correct.  Creating art or apparel for your own personal, non-commercial use is always fine; it doesn't violate any IP laws and it's also free advertising.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Unstar said:

This probably isn't the best example because you had best believe that if you wear a shirt like that in most settings, people are going to have an issue, and depending on where you are located it may even be illegal due to laws around hate speech.  But you are correct that it wouldn't be copyright/trademark/etc infringement.

But Apoleon_amarr's general sentiment is correct.  Creating art or apparel for your own personal, non-commercial use is always fine; it doesn't violate any IP laws and it's also free advertising.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Apoleon_amarr said:

Yeah you can print whatever you want in your shirts,like that guy that printed the n word, as long as you dont sell it its is fine

sweet, thanks guys :) I know its usually okey to print if its for personal use and not for any profiteering, but still just wanted to make sure, you never know right? Don't have the many to get into problems with the law nor the patience :P

On 2020-12-11 at 8:52 AM, (XBOX)OdinsDottir said:

At least in the US I think it falls under Fair Use or something.

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't even get into Fair Use because it's not part of any commercial endeavor.  Just like how nobody who cosplays or makes a Halloween costume has to worry about getting sued.  Copyrights and trademarks can't legally prevent you from drawing Excalibur fan art, making your own custom Excalibur shirt, etc.  Things that are for personal use are exempt.

It is a grey area. If DE isn't stupid (and i'm pretty sure they aren't) they will see shirts as free advertisement, depends on wether or not you look hot tho.

I would for example have no problem modeling, printing and then painting myself an umbra forma that would look amazing, I may also decide to sell said items on eBay. Would DE do something? They would have every right to do so, but why would they? What's a couple hundred euros in comparison to the brand awareness?

Do not forget that rules are meant to protect, if you are doing things that benefit warframe they have no reason to take any action. So just print your damn shirts and have fun.

Archived