Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Favorite Mythical Creatures?

BahamutKaiser

We've got a whole cohort of them down here. 

Douennes : The souls of the unbaptized children who have passed away, typically live in forests, no face, backwards feet, who call the unwary off into the forest and put a sort of glamour on them so that they can't find the way out. Putting on your clothes inside out and back to front, confuses them, and allows you to escape.

La Diablesse : A woman who appears beautiful, in a floor length dress (often white) but walks with a limp, often carrying a sack. When men approach to try and get friendly, she asks for help to get home, and if they'd carry the sack for her. As the journey progresses the sack seems to get heavier and heavier, it is filled with the bones of her previous victims. Bright lights scare them away, so a match being lit can save the victim.

The Soucouyant : Vampire that climbs a specific type of tree, removes it's skin and stores it in either a mortar a calabash gourd, then flies around as a ball of fire, feeding on it's victims. The remedy is to have someone climb the tree and rub salt/very hot peppers inside of the skin, so that when it puts it on before sunrise, it suffers unbearable pain and is unable to wear the skin during the daytime. Alternatively sprinkling salt or rice around the place causes typical vampiric ocd, causing them to stop and try to collect each grain individually, meaning that they'll run out of time, and be caught by daylight.

There are quite a few more, but those are the ones you tend to hear most about.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)OdinsDottir said:

I've heard of Douennes before with other names

La Diablesse sounds kind of like La Llarona (spelling is probably wrong)

The wailing woman, etc. They have those here in the US in NE states.

Mothman is kind of fun too

and the Lizard People that live under Los Angeles-Zuckerberg is one of them

Yeah, our country was a colony where Spanish, French, African, English and to a lesser extent Dutch settlers influenced our beliefs. A careful examination would be able to make connections to a lot of other stories of mythical creatures. And I've heard of la Llorona, but there's no "watery" connection to la Diablesse AFAIK, our's has got a cloven hoof, which is why she limps, and that's another difference. We have a different female water spirit, Mama D'Deau a half woman-half snake (you can google a Lamia), who lives in rivers and streams.

You'll find that many of the islands of the Caribbean share some of these beliefs.

One of the oddest we have is a Lagahoo, (corruption of Loup-Garou as far as we can tell) who is a shape-shifter. From human, to some form of canine typically, but also commonly to a tall man with a coffin for a head, dragging chains, but also possibly to other forms on occasion. The lore behind it is that if you want to see one, you have to take the mucous secretions from the eye of a dog, rub it in your own eye, and then peep through a keyhole at midnight. Of course anyone willing to do all of that would have to be insanely gullible in the first place, so are likely to believe their own version of "Strange-face in the mirror illusions".

32 minutes ago, (XBOX)BRUHck Obama said:

Just from google it tells me that those mythical creatures are from Trinidad y Tobago. So probably he/she is from there.

Yep.

39 minutes ago, (XBOX)OdinsDottir said:

Where are you from by chance?

Trinidad and Tobago, bottom of the Caribbean chain. 

Another that we have, that's typically not associated with us, but moreso Guyana, is the Buck. A small humanoid creature, usually malicious, that some people supposedly keep to enhance their fortunes. It must be given offerings to stay on it's good side, but those offerings could be anything from food, to souls depending on who is telling the story. There was a crazy week not too long ago(2019), when a family in a rural community appealed for help on the news, claiming that they were being terrorised by a buck, who would attack them, eat all the food in the house, damange or steal things, etc.. The local news had a total field day and many memes were created. 😅

I've wondered if the bucks were derived from a Scandinavian Nisse. Small size, can attack people who have offended it, demands food, damages property etc., especially when other people came forward as having had experiences with bucks/knowing someone who had/knowing someone who knew someone, whose neighbour's cousin's daughter's relative had a buck. (You know how these things are.) Many claimed that if you fed them specific things it would appease them, but nobody said "porridge with a pat of butter on top" or that would have cinched it for me. 😅

My personal experiences.... have not confirmed the existence of many of these beings, but I honestly had an evening that, at the time, (and if I'm being totally honest, to this day) scared the heck out of me. I was convinced that I'd seen, first what may have been a douen, and then what may have been a La Diablesse, on a long drive deep in the countryside. The other person in the car with me, didn't see either, but they were born and raised in the city, and never spent as much time out in the bush as I have. And one of my relatives is a reasonably well known ghost, though I've never seen him. So I suppose that predisposes me to accepting such things. 🤷‍♂️ 

Always liked Dragons. I find it very interesting, depending on what color their scales are, the place where they can be found, etc, their attributes and elements can change. Dragons also in pretty much every mythology, are considered as the wiser creatures.

6 hours ago, (PSN)guzmantt1977 said:

One of the oddest we have is a Lagahoo, (corruption of Loup-Garou as far as we can tell) who is a shape-shifter. From human, to some form of canine typically, but also commonly to a tall man with a coffin for a head, dragging chains, but also possibly to other forms on occasion. The lore behind it is that if you want to see one, you have to take the mucous secretions from the eye of a dog, rub it in your own eye, and then peep through a keyhole at midnight. Of course anyone willing to do all of that would have to be insanely gullible in the first place, so are likely to believe their own version of "Strange-face in the mirror illusions".

This sounds a lot like the Pyramid head from Silent Hill.

Maybe that's where they got the inspiration from.

13 minutes ago, kgabor said:

This sounds a lot like the Pyramid head from Silent Hill.

Maybe that's where they got the inspiration from.

Yes it sort of does, doesn't it? But most of the depictions I've seen or heard, have the coffin horizontal, perpendicular to the body.

No idea where they got their inspiration from though. 

I'd normally guess that for our version someone saw a labourer carrying a bulky load on their shoulder at night or in the early morning, when it's cooler down here, and had their imagination run wild. 

26 minutes ago, (XBOX)Sirmike2529 said:

Say's dragon, post's a picture of a wyvern

A wyvern (/ˈwaɪvərn/ WY-vərn, sometimes spelt wivern) is a legendary bipedal winged dragon usually depicted with a tail ending in a diamond- or arrow-shaped tip.

- Wikipedia

Your point?

2 minutes ago, o0Despair0o said:

A wyvern (/ˈwaɪvərn/ WY-vərn, sometimes spelt wivern) is a legendary bipedal winged dragon usually depicted with a tail ending in a diamond- or arrow-shaped tip.

- Wikipedia

Your point?

Wyverns aren't actually dragons but relatives of dragons much like drake's and wryms, differences are being smaller and having two legs instead of four with the front legs being fused to the wings also wyverns are way dumber having at most human level Intelligence while dragons where depicted as having a much higher intelligence then humans and I could probably dig up more but that's just off the top off my head. Also sorry about the tone of my original quote it was supposed to come off as cheeky but it just comes off as elitist and rude.

Probably harpies. Not for the sex factor either, harpies are one of the few mythological creatures that aren't "like humans but with X" or "like dogs/lizards but with X". No, harpies replace their limbs with other limbs, and that means actual world building. No opposable thumbs, lighter skeleton structure, makes me wonder what culture they would have, what tools and jobs, what fighting styles they develop, etc.

Archived