Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

3 hours ago, master_of_destiny said:

Another person incapable of reading?  Fantastic.

Let's think critically for just 60 seconds.

• GOG is listed as a competitor.
  • Does GOG offer the latest AAA titles....no.
  • Does GOG have a competing storefront...yes.
  • Does GOG go out of its way to have embedded DRM....absolutely not.

With the above stated, why is it a competitor then?  Well, time to slow this short bus down.  It offers all basic features of a storefront (Epic doesn't).  It offers a selection of games, and prices them fairly.

Why would you choose Epic then, as a developer?  Well, money.  They have enough to splash around, to buy exclusives.  They theoretically have a better cut of the profits.  It's paying less, and being put on a crappier storefront.  It's buying groceries at Walmart, where the prices are lower, because there's less investment and the only value is in locking games away.

You go ahead and enjoy that.  Let me draw a parallel.  Years ago EA decided to roll out Origin.  It was less slimy than Epic, and they exclusively sold their stuff.  It got market penetration, but in the last couple of years they decided to move back to offering their games through Steam.  Why?  

I'll let that sink in, but assume "bro, more money is fair for how hard developers work."  I'll look at it, and consider that as I look at the Epic store, and the steam store, and recognize exactly why they charge less.  Any critical thinking, as to why a year and change later Epic isn't winning against Steam, despite being "more developer friendly?

Apparently you can't read... I'll break it down...
GoG DOES offer the latest AAA titles. Most of them at least.

Ok, you seem to be very confused man.
Yes Epic offers better deals to developers, steam charges 30% per game while Epic charges 12%. That difference, plus indoctrinated people like you are what prevent Epic from having the funds to invest in better development for the Store front. But then again, the Store Front on steam 15 years ago, wasn't any better than Epic's is. You're seeing the difference of a HUGE temporal headstart. Does Epic desperatly need a better, storefront? Yes. Does that make it less competitive? Not really. Not for most people. Sure cart is handy. But i have hundreds and hundreds of games on steam, and i think i had more than one item on my cart, ONCE. Most people don't buy 2+ games at once.
Gifting, and a better library UI, on the other hand, are more important.

How does Epic have a better cut on the profits? How is it paying less? The math simply doesn't back your claims man. A 12% cut from end-sales price is lower than 30% anytime, especially since the end-price is the same for the customer.
So on a 60€ game, Steam takes 18€, Epic 7.2€. How is their profit higher?
That's the reason why developers are willing to risk the lower reach from Epic and do exclusives, because its almost a 11€ difference per game, that's a 18% increase in revenue for people selling through EPIC. And they have other incentives for games ran on Unreal Engine, like no licensing fees for games sold on Epic store (usually its a 5% licensing fee after the first 1Million USD).

Why did EA stop using Origin? They didn't... They still use Origin... They had some exclusive games on Origin, sure. But why is it changing to selling more through steam? Well, several reasons. Origin had (and has) a lot of issues with users losing their accounts randomly, or because they were banned in a game (or the forums) they'd lose their entire library. This knowledge, plus the fact that it's EA, you know, the guys known as kind of like the scummiest gamming publisher in existence, they needed to broaden their offerings to get back to the market.

Why isn't Epic winning vs Steam? Well, people like you for starters. Their less competitive store front, is another reason, the fact that most players don't give a damn about the game developers is another. Finally there's inertia. People are slow to change and ~15 years of Steam being the only option makes any change slow to catch up, and even if they change, i mean i still have hundreds of games on Steam, that won't go down to zero, so most likely everyone will do what i do, play on both platforms, because that's what smart people do. And because of those 15 years, Steam will be winning for a lot more years to come, doesn't take a genius to not expect that Epic would be ahead in 2 years.

In terms of game offers, however, which is where their better treatment of developers shows, you can see by the number of exclusives that its catching up to steam, fast.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, _Tormex_ said:

I'm pretty sure he's just projecting and afraid of change

Yeah, just like 100% of people paranoid about Epic.
I mean yeah, their store is crap, and the library is awful to use. But, is that such a big issue?
I have like 2 games that i play actively on Epic, both of them were free games they gave away, and, like every game i own, i play them from shortcuts on a folder that i have as a taskbar menu. I use the library to install or uninstall games, and for that, it works just fine. Same for steam games. Although yeah, their store is kinda better, fruit of 15 years refinement, and they have more features, fruit of 15 years of monopoly. But for 90% of the time both are equally unnecessary.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ReaverKane said:

Yeah, just like 100% of people paranoid about Epic.
I mean yeah, their store is crap, and the library is awful to use. But, is that such a big issue?
I have like 2 games that i play actively on Epic, both of them were free games they gave away, and, like every game i own, i play them from shortcuts on a folder that i have as a taskbar menu. I use the library to install or uninstall games, and for that, it works just fine. Same for steam games. Although yeah, their store is kinda better, fruit of 15 years refinement, and they have more features, fruit of 15 years of monopoly. But for 90% of the time both are equally unnecessary.

I just wish they let me have a profile pic in rocket league lol

2 hours ago, ReaverKane said:

Apparently you can't read... I'll break it down...
GoG DOES offer the latest AAA titles. Most of them at least.

Ok, you seem to be very confused man.
Yes Epic offers better deals to developers, steam charges 30% per game while Epic charges 12%. That difference, plus indoctrinated people like you are what prevent Epic from having the funds to invest in better development for the Store front. But then again, the Store Front on steam 15 years ago, wasn't any better than Epic's is. You're seeing the difference of a HUGE temporal headstart. Does Epic desperatly need a better, storefront? Yes. Does that make it less competitive? Not really. Not for most people. Sure cart is handy. But i have hundreds and hundreds of games on steam, and i think i had more than one item on my cart, ONCE. Most people don't buy 2+ games at once.
Gifting, and a better library UI, on the other hand, are more important.

How does Epic have a better cut on the profits? How is it paying less? The math simply doesn't back your claims man. A 12% cut from end-sales price is lower than 30% anytime, especially since the end-price is the same for the customer.
So on a 60€ game, Steam takes 18€, Epic 7.2€. How is their profit higher?
That's the reason why developers are willing to risk the lower reach from Epic and do exclusives, because its almost a 11€ difference per game, that's a 18% increase in revenue for people selling through EPIC. And they have other incentives for games ran on Unreal Engine, like no licensing fees for games sold on Epic store (usually its a 5% licensing fee after the first 1Million USD).

Why did EA stop using Origin? They didn't... They still use Origin... They had some exclusive games on Origin, sure. But why is it changing to selling more through steam? Well, several reasons. Origin had (and has) a lot of issues with users losing their accounts randomly, or because they were banned in a game (or the forums) they'd lose their entire library. This knowledge, plus the fact that it's EA, you know, the guys known as kind of like the scummiest gamming publisher in existence, they needed to broaden their offerings to get back to the market.

Why isn't Epic winning vs Steam? Well, people like you for starters. Their less competitive store front, is another reason, the fact that most players don't give a damn about the game developers is another. Finally there's inertia. People are slow to change and ~15 years of Steam being the only option makes any change slow to catch up, and even if they change, i mean i still have hundreds of games on Steam, that won't go down to zero, so most likely everyone will do what i do, play on both platforms, because that's what smart people do. And because of those 15 years, Steam will be winning for a lot more years to come, doesn't take a genius to not expect that Epic would be ahead in 2 years.

In terms of game offers, however, which is where their better treatment of developers shows, you can see by the number of exclusives that its catching up to steam, fast.

I cannot even believe the cognitive dissonance.

Eric's store doesn't have basic features.  You say that's because they offer developers more money...?  What?  Did you forget the millions spent in exclusivity deals?  Apparently so.

Let me short track this.  GOG competes with steam on basic features.  It has a niche of DRM free games.  It is a valid competitor.

Epic doesn't have basic store features after a year.  Instead they pay millions for an exclusivity deal.  

I joined steam when it was less than a year old, and it was better than Epic today.  If you want to sell yourself for skins, that's fine.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Me, I'll try Epic the day they are as good as Steam, but today they aren't good.  A hollow "free" skin pack isn't worth it.  As stated multiple times, you people are butt hurt that I said no, but I'm the one with a hair trigger.  This must be what it's like to be surrounded by mentally damaged villagers, torches in hand.

Edited by master_of_destiny
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, master_of_destiny said:

I cannot even believe the cognitive dissonance.

Eric's store doesn't have basic features.  You say that's because they offer developers more money...?  What?  Did you forget the millions spent in exclusivity deals?  Apparently so.

Let me short track this.  GOG competes with steam on basic features.  It has a niche of DRM free games.  It is a valid competitor.

Epic doesn't have basic store features after a year.  Instead they pay millions for an exclusivity deal.  

I joined steam when it was less than a year old, and it was better than Epic today.  If you want to sell yourself for skins, that's fine.  Stupid is as stupid does.

Me, I'll try Epic the day they are as good as Steam, but today they aren't good.  A hollow "free" skin pack isn't worth it.  As stated multiple times, you people are butt hurt that I said no, but I'm the one with a hair trigger.  This must be what it's like to be surrounded by mentally damaged villagers, torches in hand.

I'm just glad i wasn't drinking anything cause, this is so dumb i can't even...
Dude you have issues.. Selling myself?
Unless you have a Old flip phone or something older, you're selling yourself, if you use anything on the web, you've sold yourself already.

But yeah, i love how you keep projecting. For your sake, get help man.

• Like 1

Will you guys do something about the disappearing health bars over enemies, after a boss appeared?
Especially annoying with the stalker-minions in between missions~~

I already wrote about this back then, when Liches were introduced (that was the time of this bug happening), to set in context, how old this buggy behavior is now.

• Like 1

Fortune at november-december (profit orb, thermal faults)

• Party host end mission load up to 10-25 seconds
  • Top menu: "party icons+credits icon" disappear if someone start Orb mission or Host itself press ESC before total mission results windows appear with end animation 1,2..555(end). So host load long and cannot confirm missions untill back orbiter
  • Party member disconnect randomly - migration (60 times out of 100)
  • Not-host members have stutters
  • Archgun does not get out, no delay!! need spam abot 4-5 second for result
  • Zenith some times can stuck and does not shoot until "switch mode"
  • Like 2
On 2020-12-11 at 11:53 AM, Nox-Inruptio said:

I do not agree with your points at all - i have ZERO issues with getting killed by Umbra's sentience. 

- He does not need to be invulnerable - he needs to be either 1) supported ( vazrin or operator arcane of your choice to heal warframes) or 2) using life steal.

- he is not a good match for stealth missions, not all frames are good for all missions - period.

- please do NOT change his combat AI - his is unique in it, and it does behave differently, it's part of what makes him fun to use.

- i'm meh on carrying over buffs, frankly i'd rather not use exalted blade (no life steal) but this the only idea presented that I could actually support.

- NO apply nothing from Celestial Twin to Umbra- again - they are different, they act differently and they should remain so.

- I'd suggest learning what he can do in the new meta, personally i like him as is.  He pairs fantastically with a void rig btw with life steal weapons he will support you very nicely and will accompany you.  Play to what he can do - not all frames are good at all things.  What your suggesting doing is taking the choice of how Umbra plays away from players that like how he plays when there are, as you point out (as being superior) - other options for the style of play.  Save up the Umbral Forma for the frame you want to play mate.

- Vazarin's skill is bugged on him, where it stop working completely if you go back into the warframe. Arcanes/life steal can HELP to patch this up but it doesn't fix the job entirely because it's either 10x worse on Umbra since he doesn't have the innate 90% dmg reduction literally all warframes get upon Transference if there's an active ability on them, or infinitely worse because all those warframes can also be completely invulnerable while using those same things. So even with the basic principle of "a thing patching up the failings of a second thing, does not warrant the second thing's failings"(extraneous skills/gear patching up Umbra), this still fails because every other frame in the game does the job better or correctly.

- You're half right. Umbra the warframe is decent for stealth missions. Umbra the specter that's forcibly summoned via Umbra's Sentience is practically cancer for stealth missions. Big difference, especially considering Operators are utilized in stealth missions too.

- His combat AI is NOT unique. It's literally specter AI. Wukong has it. Equinox has it. Actual specters, which anyone can summon with specter blueprints, have it. But do you know why all of this is okay but Umbra isn't? Because they're all summoned only with the player's decision while Umbra is forcibly summoned with or without your consent. Don't believe me? Try doing all--no. Try doing half of the content in the game with Umbra but with no Operator inclusion whatsoever. Spoilers: some of them will be literally impossible  to complete.

- You know that 1k health buff, 100% multiplicative bonus damage, and Warding Halo augment you got from your squadmates' Wisp, Rhino, and Nezha? Yeah say goodbye to all of it the moment you press 5. Your own buffs you applied? Gone. That 12x combo you built on Exalted Blade for a heavy attack? Thanos-snapped simply because you used that Operator arcane you mentioned earlier. But okay, let's be "meh" about it.

- Celestial Twin's melee pathing should be applied in the event that Exalted Blade stick to Umbra, as mentioned directly above. NOT by default. Or would it be better for Umbra to do nothing but block with Exalted Blade because that's how Excal specters used Exalted Blade before the ability was removed from specters, that's how specters use melee weapons now, and that's how Umbra will use Exalted Blade if he's simply give the ability with no fixes to his combat AI.

- I'd suggest using Umbra in the first place before you suggest someone to learn about him. Void rig with life steal weapons? I'd be fine if that was a cool gimmick but it's not even that. It's nothing more than uncontrollable consequences paired with bandaid weapons instead of an actually good gun. I know because I tested it in ALL open world content, with MULTIPLE weapons. Yes not all frames are "god of all trades" which I'll agree is a good thing, but why on earth should the player be forced to sacrifice their playstyle for one specific warframe, when it's the norm to be allowed to change our warframes' playstyle to virtually whatever we want? Even spy rushing Inaros and tank Loki were a thing you could do before Helminth. The "things" that Umbra do to "help" as of now are already a detriment for the player, so really I'm not taking anything away, which you would've clearly seen if you read all my ideas for Umbra. There's even the final inclusion of "give Umbra the option to be idle like every other warframe", which is literally only a plus because it's another thing Umbra could have. Don't like the miniscule fact that I said have it on by default? Literally just have it be a toggle in our arsenal, like the "Toggle Prime Details" under Appearances. By the way, did you know that if you grab the canister with your warframe in that one Arcane bounty, leave your warframe, then zip around with your Operator, the canister's integrity doesn't degrade? There. Another cool thing Umbra could have access to but doesn't now because(to stress my thesis again) he is forced upon the player instead of being usable via our decision, and that's just thinking off the top of my head. And saving up Umbra Forma? Okay, first of all, that's another bandaid idea like your suggestion of arcanes, so that blows. Second, regardless of how irrelevant these points are, Umbra still has sentient resistance removal, higher armor, and higher energy compared to regular Excal, if you were implying "save up umbra forma for vanilla excal", so that's still a terrible waste of time and resources.

I don't know what you're using Umbra for, but I've taken him into every piece of content in the game and have tried countless combinations of mods, arcanes, tenno schools, companions, weapons, vehicles, and abilities, every day since his release. And this is all even without getting into all the bug cases that have been brought up with him(again, Umbra the specter, not Umbra the warframe) in past content. That topic is an epic in its own right.

My points are valid. Umbra's Sentience was a day 1 thrill. Now, it needs to go(or at the very least have the toggle option I've stated above).

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Yunjuwo said:

- Vazarin's skill is bugged on him, where it stop working completely if you go back into the warframe. Arcanes/life steal can HELP to patch this up but it doesn't fix the job entirely because it's either 10x worse on Umbra since he doesn't have the innate 90% dmg reduction literally all warframes get upon Transference if there's an active ability on them, or infinitely worse because all those warframes can also be completely invulnerable while using those same things. So even with the basic principle of "a thing patching up the failings of a second thing, does not warrant the second thing's failings"(extraneous skills/gear patching up Umbra), this still fails because every other frame in the game does the job better or correctly.

- You're half right. Umbra the warframe is decent for stealth missions. Umbra the specter that's forcibly summoned via Umbra's Sentience is practically cancer for stealth missions. Big difference, especially considering Operators are utilized in stealth missions too.

- His combat AI is NOT unique. It's literally specter AI. Wukong has it. Equinox has it. Actual specters, which anyone can summon with specter blueprints, have it. But do you know why all of this is okay but Umbra isn't? Because they're all summoned only with the player's decision while Umbra is forcibly summoned with or without your consent. Don't believe me? Try doing all--no. Try doing half of the content in the game with Umbra but with no Operator inclusion whatsoever. Spoilers: some of them will be literally impossible  to complete.

- You know that 1k health buff, 100% multiplicative bonus damage, and Warding Halo augment you got from your squadmates' Wisp, Rhino, and Nezha? Yeah say goodbye to all of it the moment you press 5. Your own buffs you applied? Gone. That 12x combo you built on Exalted Blade for a heavy attack? Thanos-snapped simply because you used that Operator arcane you mentioned earlier. But okay, let's be "meh" about it.

- Celestial Twin's melee pathing should be applied in the event that Exalted Blade stick to Umbra, as mentioned directly above. NOT by default. Or would it be better for Umbra to do nothing but block with Exalted Blade because that's how Excal specters used Exalted Blade before the ability was removed from specters, that's how specters use melee weapons now, and that's how Umbra will use Exalted Blade if he's simply give the ability with no fixes to his combat AI.

- I'd suggest using Umbra in the first place before you suggest someone to learn about him. Void rig with life steal weapons? I'd be fine if that was a cool gimmick but it's not even that. It's nothing more than uncontrollable consequences paired with bandaid weapons instead of an actually good gun. I know because I tested it in ALL open world content, with MULTIPLE weapons. Yes not all frames are "god of all trades" which I'll agree is a good thing, but why on earth should the player be forced to sacrifice their playstyle for one specific warframe, when it's the norm to be allowed to change our warframes' playstyle to virtually whatever we want? Even spy rushing Inaros and tank Loki were a thing you could do before Helminth. The "things" that Umbra do to "help" as of now are already a detriment for the player, so really I'm not taking anything away, which you would've clearly seen if you read all my ideas for Umbra. There's even the final inclusion of "give Umbra the option to be idle like every other warframe", which is literally only a plus because it's another thing Umbra could have. Don't like the miniscule fact that I said have it on by default? Literally just have it be a toggle in our arsenal, like the "Toggle Prime Details" under Appearances. By the way, did you know that if you grab the canister with your warframe in that one Arcane bounty, leave your warframe, then zip around with your Operator, the canister's integrity doesn't degrade? There. Another cool thing Umbra could have access to but doesn't now because(to stress my thesis again) he is forced upon the player instead of being usable via our decision, and that's just thinking off the top of my head. And saving up Umbra Forma? Okay, first of all, that's another bandaid idea like your suggestion of arcanes, so that blows. Second, regardless of how irrelevant these points are, Umbra still has sentient resistance removal, higher armor, and higher energy compared to regular Excal, if you were implying "save up umbra forma for vanilla excal", so that's still a terrible waste of time and resources.

I don't know what you're using Umbra for, but I've taken him into every piece of content in the game and have tried countless combinations of mods, arcanes, tenno schools, companions, weapons, vehicles, and abilities, every day since his release. And this is all even without getting into all the bug cases that have been brought up with him(again, Umbra the specter, not Umbra the warframe) in past content. That topic is an epic in its own right.

My points are valid. Umbra's Sentience was a day 1 thrill. Now, it needs to go(or at the very least have the toggle option I've stated above).

I do use him - i'm just not inclined to think your solution of remove his sentience is in any way reasonable - and for me not even remotely desirable.  

I also disagree with a lot of your rebuttal, but if you'd like to continue this feel free to PM me, I'm not having any where near the issues you are with umbra, so perhaps we could compare notes in a productive fashion?