I'm not really understanding the Vermisplicer as a secondary.

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

Question

The wiki says "When used as a secondary, five tendrils can latch onto different enemies and stay locked onto them."  

I can shoot an enemy, and if there is one behind it, it will stop damaging the enemy I initially hit, then hit the one behind it while passing harmlessly through the one I shot originally.  

If I aim at one enemy and hit it then switch to another enemy that is not directly in front of or behind it, sometimes I can get it to hit both with two different tendrils.  The angle that I can reliably do this is incredibly narrow, and only made worse by the fact that it will 100% harmlessly pass through targets.  I can even tag and enemy, then move while holding the tendril/beam on that enemy and have the beam pass harmlessly through another enemy in between us.  It feels super unreliable to hit more than one target and as of right now I'm going to assume that I'm doing something wrong because other people seem to like it.

Any thoughts?

9 answers to this question

On 2020-12-12 at 9:06 PM, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The wiki says "When used as a secondary, five tendrils can latch onto different enemies and stay locked onto them."  

I can shoot an enemy, and if there is one behind it, it will stop damaging the enemy I initially hit, then hit the one behind it while passing harmlessly through the one I shot originally.  

If I aim at one enemy and hit it then switch to another enemy that is not directly in front of or behind it, sometimes I can get it to hit both with two different tendrils.  The angle that I can reliably do this is incredibly narrow, and only made worse by the fact that it will 100% harmlessly pass through targets.  I can even tag and enemy, then move while holding the tendril/beam on that enemy and have the beam pass harmlessly through another enemy in between us.  It feels super unreliable to hit more than one target and as of right now I'm going to assume that I'm doing something wrong because other people seem to like it.

Any thoughts?

Its seems to have some very janky interactions with punch through. The solution i found was to pair it with bullet attractor effects. Scourge alt fire for instance fixes its tendancy to lock on to targets you arent directly aiming at, it also gives it that sweet head shot crit multiplier. I like it quite a bit but its a bit weird and you have to spend time shooting it to learn its idiosyncrasies. 

On 2020-12-12 at 6:06 PM, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Any thoughts?

It sucks

both as a pistol and a primary

primary is marginally better because you can build a Crit/HM aoe beam, but still kinda sucks compared to existing options

there's a reason you can hardly even give away a Vermisplicer Riven in trade chat right now

Try not to lose too much sleep over it, can't have every New Weapon be Good. Gotta have some filler in there or power creep would get out of hand.

5 minutes ago, (PSN)haphazardlynamed said:

It sucks

both as a pistol and a primary

primary is marginally better because you can build a Crit/HM aoe beam, but still kinda sucks compared to existing options

there's a reason you can hardly even give away a Vermisplicer Riven in trade chat right now

Try not to lose too much sleep over it, can't have every New Weapon be Good. Gotta have some filler in there or power creep would get out of hand.

It really doesnt suck at all, Im melting steel path enemies with it pretty easily tbh. 

Archived