Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TennoGen Round 20 Deadline

[DE]Taylor

Hi Tenno,

The holidays are upon us, so we felt it was appropriate to continue the tradition of announcing the first TennoGen deadline of 2021 before the year comes to a close. This should hopefully allow our artists plenty of time to balance (safely) seeing their families while also putting the finishing touches on their creations!

For this round, we’ll be looking at new content types: more landing crafts, melee weapons, and shoulder armor! 

Without further ado, the TennoGen Round 20 deadline is February 15, 2021 at 2pm ET! After that, we will be reviewing all items submitted or updated after July 20th, 2020. 

If you have an item that has been in the workshop for a significant amount of time (over a year), we strongly recommend resubmitting to avoid any chance of us missing the updated version. In general, having a fresh submission for items uploaded before July 20th is always recommended to ensure it gets reviewed, but we do our best to catch as many updated pieces as we can.

There are some texture file name changes and general texture optimization changes that should be considered in your pieces prior to submission. 

Texture Name Changes:

Tintmasks should be renamed from “FilenameTintMask_d” to “Filename_t”. 

The TennoGen tool exporter was updated in early November to export Tintmasks with this file name format, but we recommend double checking just to be safe! If you have items exported before December 18, 2020, you will have to rename the Tintmask files prior to the submission deadline.

Texture Optimization:

With Update 29.3.1, we released part two of our Great Ensmallening, which involved changes to our texture compression. This affects TennoGen artists, and we want your pieces to perform the best that they can. As a result, we are offering the following recommendations to include in your workflow (if they do not exist already):

• Test all of your textures at in-game resolution, and make sure you test them together at this resolution. You can see final resolution numbers in the Final Submission Checklist available here or in the file download.
  • Optimize your UVs to get the most out of your limited resolution. Good UV mapping practices go a long way in helping your piece look its best, so check out online resources on how to improve this important skill. 
  • Avoid adding micro-details to your normal maps. These can get incredibly busy and messy once they are added in-game. If you want to add micro-details to your piece, you can request that we use our own internal atlas detail in your submission’s readme document.

Our texture guide has been updated to include these tips (and the naming convention changes) for future creators!

Additionally, we are requiring the inclusion of one clearly marked in-game resolution screenshot of the full item for your submissions to ensure that artists and the community have a better idea of what the item will look like if it makes it into Warframe! All screenshot guidelines can be found below:

Spoiler

All creations must be submitted with the following screenshot guidelines, so we can properly judge your creation. We reserve the right to reject items without proper screenshots, due to our inability to properly review your item.

• Please make sure to include a tint breakdown. 
  • Have at least one well-lit screenshot on a 50% grey background and uncoloured lighting.
  • For Skins and Syandanas, make sure the colouring in your screenshots matches the colouring in the files you uploaded.
  • For Warframe Alt-Helmets, please be sure to match the base colours of the Warframe in your files and in one of the screenshots!
  • Make sure your screenshots are all up to date! If you have comparison shots for previous versions, please indicate which screenshots are of the current iteration -- aka the ones we should be evaluating!
  • NEW: Include one full view screenshot of your creation at in-game resolution that is clearly marked (ex: text in the corner that says “IN-GAME RESOLUTION”). Just the front view is fine, but if you want to include multiple angles, that is more than welcome.
  • Finally, provide both back, front and side views of your creation so we can see the whole picture. These views should not be partial -- we need to see the FULL item from all sides.

That's about it! Lots to go over this time, but it’s all in the name of making TennoGen items the best they can be.

Happy creating, Tenno! :community:

The TennoGen tool exporter was updated in early November to export Tintmasks with this file name format, but we recommend double checking just to be safe! If you have items exported before November 5 2020, you will have to rename the Tintmask files prior to the submission deadline.

About the Tennogen Tool , tried to export twice with different items types but it still save the tintmasks texture name as "FilenameTintMask_d" in the "TennoGenExport.zip" files.
So, did we have to change the name manually in the zip file?

I have also checked if there is any new updates of the tool on Steam but it shows no new update. currently it is Build id 5586380.

35 minutes ago, Scruffel said:

Dude, you could have at least waited until the item was updated before asking for it again, which the artist is still working on.

Already waited almost 11 months and wait more for what? Wait for 'maybe next time' over & over again?

10 hours ago, A1stLight said:

About the Tennogen Tool , tried to export twice with different items types but it still save the tintmasks texture name as "FilenameTintMask_d" in the "TennoGenExport.zip" files.
So, did we have to change the name manually in the zip file?

I have also checked if there is any new updates of the tool on Steam but it shows no new update. currently it is Build id 5586380.

I'll look into this, thank you!

1 hour ago, Cellbound said:

Already waited almost 11 months and wait more for what? Wait for 'maybe next time' over & over again?

... Yes. The artist isn’t obliged to update or resubmit the item, and DE isn’t obliged to accept or even review it as well. This is how TennoGen basically works. At least be glad the chances of it being submitted in time for this Round are high. 

On 2020-12-16 at 10:45 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

Texture Name Changes:

The TennoGen tool exporter was updated in early November to export Tintmasks with this file name format, but we recommend double checking just to be safe! If you have items exported before December 18, 2020, you will have to rename the Tintmask files prior to the submission deadline.

Our TennoGen Tool update didn't go through as planned, but I can confirm now that the exporter will properly rename your Tintmask files as of yesterday's update!

Thank you for the reports.

• 1 month later...
On 2020-12-16 at 4:45 PM, [DE]Taylor said:

Hi Tenno,

The holidays are upon us, so we felt it was appropriate to continue the tradition of announcing the first TennoGen deadline of 2021 before the year comes to a close. This should hopefully allow our artists plenty of time to balance (safely) seeing their families while also putting the finishing touches on their creations!

For this round, we’ll be looking at new content types: more landing crafts, melee weapons, and shoulder armor! 

Without further ado, the TennoGen Round 20 deadline is February 15, 2021 at 2pm ET! After that, we will be reviewing all items submitted or updated after July 20th, 2020. 

If you have an item that has been in the workshop for a significant amount of time (over a year), we strongly recommend resubmitting to avoid any chance of us missing the updated version. In general, having a fresh submission for items uploaded before July 20th is always recommended to ensure it gets reviewed, but we do our best to catch as many updated pieces as we can.

There are some texture file name changes and general texture optimization changes that should be considered in your pieces prior to submission. 

Texture Name Changes:

Texture Optimization:

With Update 29.3.1, we released part two of our Great Ensmallening, which involved changes to our texture compression. This affects TennoGen artists, and we want your pieces to perform the best that they can. As a result, we are offering the following recommendations to include in your workflow (if they do not exist already):

• Test all of your textures at in-game resolution, and make sure you test them together at this resolution. You can see final resolution numbers in the Final Submission Checklist available here or in the file download.
  • Optimize your UVs to get the most out of your limited resolution. Good UV mapping practices go a long way in helping your piece look its best, so check out online resources on how to improve this important skill. 
  • Avoid adding micro-details to your normal maps. These can get incredibly busy and messy once they are added in-game. If you want to add micro-details to your piece, you can request that we use our own internal atlas detail in your submission’s readme document.

Our texture guide has been updated to include these tips (and the naming convention changes) for future creators!

Additionally, we are requiring the inclusion of one clearly marked in-game resolution screenshot of the full item for your submissions to ensure that artists and the community have a better idea of what the item will look like if it makes it into Warframe! All screenshot guidelines can be found below:

Reveal hidden contents

All creations must be submitted with the following screenshot guidelines, so we can properly judge your creation. We reserve the right to reject items without proper screenshots, due to our inability to properly review your item.

• Please make sure to include a tint breakdown. 
  • Have at least one well-lit screenshot on a 50% grey background and uncoloured lighting.
  • For Skins and Syandanas, make sure the colouring in your screenshots matches the colouring in the files you uploaded.
  • For Warframe Alt-Helmets, please be sure to match the base colours of the Warframe in your files and in one of the screenshots!
  • Make sure your screenshots are all up to date! If you have comparison shots for previous versions, please indicate which screenshots are of the current iteration -- aka the ones we should be evaluating!
  • NEW: Include one full view screenshot of your creation at in-game resolution that is clearly marked (ex: text in the corner that says “IN-GAME RESOLUTION”). Just the front view is fine, but if you want to include multiple angles, that is more than welcome.
  • Finally, provide both back, front and side views of your creation so we can see the whole picture. These views should not be partial -- we need to see the FULL item from all sides.

That's about it! Lots to go over this time, but it’s all in the name of making TennoGen items the best they can be.

Happy creating, Tenno! :community:

Just to be sure, Ingame Texture resolution is 1k, right?

On 2020-12-18 at 1:25 AM, Scruffel said:

... Yes. The artist isn’t obliged to update or resubmit the item, and DE isn’t obliged to accept or even review it as well. This is how TennoGen basically works. At least be glad the chances of it being submitted in time for this Round are high. 

Glad? glad for what?  Tennogen skins are only meaning when 'accepted ingame', not 'chances of it being submitted
in time for this Round are high'. If DE reject, then just that. Abandoned & forgotten even the most popular skins.

Most of all, I never said 'obliged to do it', only 'plz'.

Tennogen can only be obtained with cash, and I paid my price for it. So at least I have the right to ask.
No, not just me. We, users paid price for Tennogen, not DE nor artists. So we have the right to ask what we wanted. 
Your words are no different from just giving up your rights & be good like a slave.

So, I ask you....'just accept whatever they give you' is that you really wanted?    

I'm not sure how to respond to this regarding the strange grammatical errors and odd manners, but, oh well.

Glad? glad for what?  Tennogen skins are only meaning when 'accepted ingame', not 'chances of it being submitted
in time for this Round are high'. If DE reject, then just that. Abandoned & forgotten even the most popular skins.

Glad that the item is going to be submitted again and given another chance to get accepted. It's not that hard. Why would you not want that? The 2nd step can't happen if it's not updated. I am not sure why you think even non-accepted items don't matter, considering the traction certain items have gotten through getting denied, such as Nidus Night Hunter (you would know) and even recently with Revenant Draugen.

Most of all, I never said 'obliged to do it', only 'plz'.

First of all, you were saying "plz" in regards to an item that wasn't updated yet. So that was something that DE wasn't going to do by default.

Second, I was using the word "obliged" since you were already complaining about waiting for an item to be updated, something that the artist do not need to do, AKA "not obliged to do it". Is there some sort of 2nd meaning that you understood which gave a more hostile impression or something? Because that really wasn't the intention.

2 hours ago, Cellbound said:

Tennogen can only be obtained with cash, and I paid my price for it. So at least I have the right to ask.
No, not just me. We, users paid price for Tennogen, not DE nor artists. So we have the right to ask what we wanted. 

... Oh man. Really think about how you said this. Putting an emphasis on how important the price and aspect of buying TennoGen is. How exactly does that persuade DE to... put an item into the game that they have denied before? I really think you are just misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm simply explaining how TennoGen works; artist(s) can submit item(s) to the Workshop, DE can reject or accept them, artists can then continue to work on those rejected items for another chance for it to be accepted with the feedback DE gives. It's really not hard. Reason why I am underlining can is the because of the freedom of choice artists have is key to how they can choose to work on TennoGen. It's always been like this. If you have an issue with that, what's your solution then?

What bothers even more, is how you seem to think all of a sudden DE nor the artists matter for TennoGen. Really? The exact reason that we even have TennoGen, are also the least important components of it too. What. Seriously think about that. I think you need some reflection because I've been seeing people's own entitlement and high expectations ruin their own enjoyment of TennoGen. And not understanding how it works leads to this. I get that your upset, but simply claiming you're a customer, does not excuse being willfully ignorant on how something works.

Your words are no different from just giving up your rights & be good like a slave.

Dude. We're talking about whether or not you have a say in community-created virtual content by online artists gets added into a video game in which they are added as products. We're not talking about a free speech right being violated by a government with brute force. Calm down.

So, I ask you....'just accept whatever they give you' is that you really wanted? 

That's essentially how TennoGen has mostly worked for the past... 4-5 years? I could maybe imagine during the early Rounds there was some small community influence for items, but I have a hard time imagining that TennoGen solely relied on votes and popularity for items to get added for all this time. DE would have to mandated what gets added in their own game in some way, since they want to maintain a specific style and aesthetic, as pointed out through the TennoGen Guide. Only recently have they apparently levied those expectations a little, but it's still important for them to oversee this things to make sure things still feel like they belong in Warframe.

I'm really not sure how this evolved from "this hasn't been updated yet, please wait" into "my rights as a consumer are being violated". Jeez.

20 hours ago, HitsuSan said:

Just to be sure, Ingame Texture resolution is 1k, right?

You can find all in-game texture resolutions in each item's guide, or in the Final Submissions Checklists here: https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=final-checklists

Only one not included in this would be the shoulder armor (will be fixed soon!), but you can find it in the official guide here: https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=creating-shoulder-armor-pieces

• 2 weeks later...
Le 16/12/2020 à 16:45, [DE]Taylor a dit :

About the ingame resolution, would it be possible to let artists swap the diffuse and tintmask resolutions depending on the pieces ?
In most of case, it works but with complexe patterns and less work on the diffuse, some pieces shine better with a higher resolution tintmask and lower resolution diffuse, and since diffuse is a 3 channels complexe texture (lot of details/gradients) and  tint mask is a 4 channel simple texture (mostly flat colors), so it would result in very similar file sizes.

Here is an example :
-The first picture use the regular 1024 maps with 512 tintmask. All maps weight a total of 4398Ko (diffuse is 766Ko and tintmask is 91Ko).
-The second picture use every map at 1024 (including tintmask) with diffuse at 512. All maps weight a total of 3954Ko (diffuse is 262Ko and tintmask is 151Ko).
ex1.png
ex2.png

1 hour ago, lukinu_u said:

About the ingame resolution, would it be possible to let artists swap the diffuse and tintmask resolutions depending on the pieces ?

Here is an example :
-The first picture use the regular 1024 maps with 512 tintmask.

I believe the resolutions for landing craft were increased, and the guideline image wasn't updated. They updated the text on this page https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=creating-liset-skins but not the image to reflect its using 2048 as the regular resolution now. Though not sure if tint is still one step lower as with their new texture compression algorithm it might not be needed.

On 2020-12-16 at 7:45 AM, [DE]Taylor said:

the inclusion of one clearly marked in-game resolution screenshot of the full item for your submissions

quick question regarding this, does it need to specifically say 'in-game resolution" on the screenshot or can the screen have shot be something like 1024x1024?

Rp1S6WL.png

il y a une heure, MaceMadunusus a dit :

I believe the resolutions for landing craft were increased, and the guideline image wasn't updated. They updated the text on this page https://www.warframe.com/steamworkshop/help/index.php?page=creating-liset-skins but not the image to reflect its using 2048 as the regular resolution now. Though not sure if tint is still one step lower as with their new texture compression algorithm it might not be needed.

Oh right I was refering to the picture, thanks you !

3 hours ago, Stomno said:

Steam Workshop::[WISP] PANDORA (steamcommunity.com)

Well, just to note, that this is technically the most outdated version of this skin since there is a V2 version of it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2119723268

I'm not sure if this skin has actually been submitted for this Round, since even though there is an update after Jun 20th, 2020 (which was the previous Round's deadline), I'm unsure if that was made in response to DE's feedback, since they try to help it getting accepted again. So while it is theoretically submitted, I'm not sure if it's properly so; although the creator could eventually do another update or a new submission so hopefully either of the two happens.

Steam Workshop::Mesa Mesnificent (steamcommunity.com)

Steam Workshop::Baruuk Blade of the Lotus V2 - Skin & Alt Helm (steamcommunity.com)

These however, have not been updated yet at all. I can't say anything for the Mesa skin, besides that the creator has updated... only one of their previously denied items so far, and just uploaded another skin and I would unsure if they had time to work on that one. However, the Baruuk skin does have a good chance based on a *very* recent tweet by its creator, hinting at 3 revisions being worked on: https://twitter.com/b3astbuster/status/1358974634507567108 . Atlas was one of his denied submission, along with his Baruuk and Nidus skin... so we'll see. Although it could also refer to some other items like his shield Syandana.

4 hours ago, Stomno said:

Steam Workshop::Mirage Comtesse Skin and Alt Helmet (steamcommunity.com)

I can't give a positive affirmation of this particular skin sadly. This skin has not been updated since 2018, and as indicated from before, being recently updated/submitted recently is important for an item to even be considered.  And I've not seen any sort of indication that the creator(s) are going to update this anytime soon.

Everything else is basically fine in terms of chances of getting accepted. I didn't make this post with attention to make your requests pointless, but rather to help with understanding a bit of how TennoGen works and explaining the possibilities of items being eligible. Have a good time of day.

En 9/2/2021 a las 1:37, Scruffel dijo:

Everything else is basically fine in terms of chances of getting accepted. I didn't make this post with attention to make your requests pointless, but rather to help with understanding a bit of how TennoGen works and explaining the possibilities of items being eligible. Have a good time of day.

Hey thanks!
I'm kind of new in the forums because I'm not speaking English native and I don't use translators... And I had to saw the dates really 

Hope the Wisp's skin gets accepted it somehow and the others, I want that Oberon/Ash/Octavia/Revenant so bad ☺️

On 2021-02-11 at 10:05 AM, Stomno said:

Hey thanks!
I'm kind of new in the forums because I'm not speaking English native and I don't use translators... And I had to saw the dates really 

Hope the Wisp's skin gets accepted it somehow and the others, I want that Oberon/Ash/Octavia/Revenant so bad ☺️

Hey good news! Seems like Baruuk Blade of the Lotus was the fortunate receiver of a revision so he will have a chance for next Round:

Hello, I am an old WARFRAME player, I am a relatively new skin artist, I have been looking at textures for years and tried various mechanics of the fantastic WARFRAME game, I prepared 3D models and all the necessary textures for the game, in different resolutions, in large and small, I tested and rendered every pixel, and now I am very happy to show you what I created. Sorry for my English, I'm from Russia. Please see my work. Thanks you.https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2395376026 

Archived