Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I have a question about how people feel about people who RP their character, even if other players are not RPing..

(PSN)Saryn-Lady

Question

Well, this might sound silly, but I'm a girl who really enjoys RPing. However I have not found a clan that focuses on RPing. So this has put me in an annoying circumstance.

i often find myself RPing my character in missions with total strangers. Does this bother people at all, or do you think other players would accept my goofy style of playing and find it enjoyable. I would love to know what you think the community thinks? and while I do enjoy it, I grow concerned I may come off as just plain weird...  I'm just wondering if it's kind of charming or that no one really cares about my childish nature.

ciuld anyone offer me some advice?

I've never understood the appeal of RPing either, it always feels super awkward to me if I attempt it with a group that's doing it.

I've found the best way to deal with it (in any game) without being a jerk to whoever is doing it is to not acknowledge that they're RPing, and just continue to talk to them normally, while maybe phrasing things about gameplay in a less technical way.  That way I don't have to participate and whoever is RPing can just assume I'm RPing a completely disinterested person.

I think it's awesome! I can understand why some would think it's weird, but if that's your thing, it's cool. Warframe is an amazing game with rich lore and huge potential to continue expanding on it. I totally see how RPing could enrich the experience.

I'm mostly a solo player, and I'm not the type to RP with other players, but I do have my own personal fan fiction that makes the game more fun for me. I've been a Valkyr main since forever (I'm a little in love with her) and the ship belongs to her. Her decorations, her collected treasures.

Sometimes a mission isn't Valkyr's area of expertise and she calls in a favor from another frame.

Every weapon and companion belongs to a particular frame, but they borrow from each other often. It's a little silly but building upon this story over the years has made the game feel more exciting. It sounds like RPing does the same for you and I absolutely support that.

1 hour ago, (PSN)reinestarr said:

I think it's awesome! I can understand why some would think it's weird, but if that's your thing, it's cool. Warframe is an amazing game with rich lore and huge potential to continue expanding on it. I totally see how RPing could enrich the experience.

I'm mostly a solo player, and I'm not the type to RP with other players, but I do have my own personal fan fiction that makes the game more fun for me. I've been a Valkyr main since forever (I'm a little in love with her) and the ship belongs to her. Her decorations, her collected treasures.

Sometimes a mission isn't Valkyr's area of expertise and she calls in a favor from another frame.

Every weapon and companion belongs to a particular frame, but they borrow from each other often. It's a little silly but building upon this story over the years has made the game feel more exciting. It sounds like RPing does the same for you and I absolutely support that.

you're not alone, a friend of mine said his Zaw was sentient and he needed advance its power for the next chapter. I theme my girls individually so Saryn has the Zymos as thematically it fits a spore-spreading pistol. Or each Orokin theme I keep the syandanas where possible- exclusively that girl. So no Orokin theme has Mirage Prime's syandana as that is hers alone. She has her armor as does Titania Prime although Heartwood looks amazing on many styles tbf. Things like that. So I do get where you come from.

I find it sweet that I can wander Cetus and get swarmed with compliments for my Operator especially as I wanted her to be kinda Sith-like and the Zenurik idle, swirling bone dragons and uniform black and silver with fiery eyes: pretty much covers it :P

1 hour ago, (PSN)reinestarr said:

Hit me up sometime!

44 minutes ago, (PSN)Saryn-Lady said:

i often find myself RPing my character in missions with total strangers.

Personally, I don't think I would mind, but can you give me an example of what this would look like?  I presume that RPing would include completing the mission objectives, so as long as you're doing that, I can't see why anyone would be bothered.

Just now, TheGrimCorsair said:

Rp'ing isn't all that weird, but you should be considerate of other players and not drag them into your rp without asking first.

Oh I assure you I don't do that. I mainly just play the game and type out dialogue along the missions to give it some narrative kick. Does that make sense? :/

7 minutes ago, -Alleluia- said:

RPing is something I've never really understood the appeal of and quite frankly it just comes off as weird to me. That said, it's your game as much as it is any other player so you should feel absolutely comfortable enjoying the game how you see fit within the boundaries of the EULA. 

EULA? What's that?

13 minutes ago, -Alleluia- said:

End user license agreement. Enjoy the game how you see fit without breaking the rules. If you like to RP, then RP and have fun. 👍

Thanks. Don't worry I'm not an ERPING perv, I just grew up writing and playing DnD as a kid, so it's kind of a hobby of mine. I just like to have  character development and  a story that lines up with the Warframe universe. Again, thanks guys.

4 minutes ago, NecroPed said:

I'm not personally into generally roleplaying, but I can appreciate it in some way. I have noticed some clans based around roleplay on PC, although I've never joined any and I don't see them often. But, they are there.

I'll have to keep a look out. Thanks Necroped! Btw my name is Danielle if you just want to talk to me anytime. Username: Saryn-Lady

Thanks guys! And again if you find an RP clan please let me know of it isn't too inconvenient. <3

Any noisy chatter can potentially be obnoxious in a hectic mission.  However, whether or not it's charming depends on whether or not you yourself are charming.  If I had to suggest guidelines, I'd say avoid pretending things happened that didn't.  That blows right past cringe into obnoxious territory for me.  Keep the amount of it to the amount of normal chatter that would be considered friendly, mid-mission chat is NOT the place to share your fanfic.  If you can't say it "in character" as concisely as you would ooc, then maybe go with the concise version.  Ultimately, you do you. 

1 minute ago, mkah_mvet said:

Any noisy chatter can potentially be obnoxious in a hectic mission.  However, whether or not it's charming depends on whether or not you yourself are charming.  If I had to suggest guidelines, I'd say avoid pretending things happened that didn't.  That blows right past cringe into obnoxious territory for me.  Keep the amount of it to the amount of normal chatter that would be considered friendly, mid-mission chat is NOT the place to share your fanfic.  If you can't say it "in character" as concisely as you would ooc, then maybe go with the concise version.  Ultimately, you do you. 

Awe. Did you guys have bad experiences with neckbearded rpers? No, no. I like to work with the events happening on each missions, and not throw in my own BS fanfic addition. I just think Warframe is such a great universe to have a Roleplaying session. But I could be alone of that I suppose.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Dr_Bruiser said:

Personally, I don't think I would mind, but can you give me an example of what this would look like?  I presume that RPing would include completing the mission objectives, so as long as you're doing that, I can't see why anyone would be bothered.

Sure no problem. Typically my character would show up to help other Tenno as she has much faith on space mom. So my Ivara is somewhat quiet, and REALLY hates the Grinder In particular. So I'll trype out statements here and there to give other players an idea of what my Ivara is like. Honestly she's a lot of fun, And I had acquired many fans who joined me a little over a year before I my ps4 broke, so I lost my possy. :/

Honestly, I've never been super into RP myself, but I think it could be entertaining from time to time. A change of pace. Having played this game for so long, just running in, murdering everything and extracting ASAP gets old.

I'm on PC though, so I can't join you unfortunately.

Archived