Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Thoughts on aerial mechanics

(NSW)HydroBlade

So as a warframe player with 2 years of play time who adores melee weapons and wants to experiment with the games abundant mechanics I cannot find any tangible evidence or any solid reason or benefit as to why I should even be using warframes aerial attacks/mods/and features. Yes, I do know that wisp can just bunny hop and that is an exsisting mechanic to build off of, yes I understand that exodia epidemic can be used with chroma's new passive, yes I know that Vitrica can glass enemies and destroy them. But I always find myself going down same path everytime...
why de we have so many aerial mods/passives/mechanics but almost no practical use?
forgive me if I miss some kind of glaring meta mechanic yet but I still find no major reason to actually be in the air.
I know this must be a very minor topic for some but I find it quite prevalent. We have so much open air space above our warframes, so many skills that can let us fly and or attack in the air, we have parkour skills and double jumps to let us reach new heights, but again. What reason DO I have to be in the air, why should I do an air attack when I can spam a heavy attack build. what benefit do I gain to struggling to snipe an enemy in the air? well... I get just about NO benefit, and why?
well I point towards the glaring issue of a central unique mechanic. Yes, we have, some, and I mean a few niche mechanics that use air attacks or jumping. but really in what alternate reality will anyone use aerial ace? or aim glide mods? there is little to no benefit to any of these mods. Yet we keep on adding them motus mods, patagium mods, double jump mods, even whole warframe passives *cough* chroma and zephyr *cough* that don't give me any major benefit. What? am i going to be told that the motus mods knock down resist is going to be useful? no we have primed sure footed for that or just about many other mods. "Well what, about aero mods to put enemies to sleep?" we have many other frames for this. Aviator? well guess what we have adaptation. there is so many aerial mods, but there is nothing for them to build off of, no real reason to use them. I cannot see as to why I should resort to aerial attacks with aviator when I can use much stronger grounded combos with adaptation. I know there is going to be other players who will read this and go " I prefer to one shot them" or "I don't care about a topic like this" and understand what you are getting from. To be honest the aerial game of warframe is not strong it has many bits and pieces but nothing to actually unite them so I can see why grounded gameplay is much better. But hey, there are players like me that want to bring dead mods and concepts back to the table, and I know i'm not the only one who thinks this way (unless somehow I actually am).
and I want to bring a couple of ideas onto the table here so that maybe DE can see this and consider the ideas presented here today. And if you do care about this subject I will greatly appreciate your own comments on this subject (feedback and or your own personal ideas).
Without a further ado here are my ideas that I have came up with:

1.) Warfan combos and the air:
As you know we currently have 3 warfans in the game this weapon I feel can have massive potential for warframe's aerial game.
think about this your, grounded combos are slower hits and weaker attacks but inflict a heavy lifted status effect that lasts much longer than your regular lifted effect
Boom, you strike several enemies and now they are lifted upwards unable to move away. You follow up and jump with your warfans drawn and now you gain a special effect limited to only warfans aerial attacks. essentially whenever you jump in the air with a warfan you no longer fall as fast and your aerial attack is not one simple combo. Instead You gain multiple new in air combos which can deal heavier damage and have a higher chance to inflict slash procs. What this brings to warfans in an exclusive melee style limited to its weapon and brings the fight to the sky. This warfan change give a good new fresh mechanic to warframe players who uses melees, and a better incentive to be in the air (even better for passives like zephyr's and chroma's).
you gain stronger in air attacks and gives good reason to alternate from grounded combos (attacks that are weaker but lift enemies) into aerial combos (stronger faster slash proc inducing attacks). Of course this is a rough idea. whole new combos, weaker grounded attacks, and lifted status wont always work on some enemies. So of I am open to feed back for this idea.

2.) sniper combo bonuses:

as you know snipers gain a stacking damage bonus per shot landed which stacks and build up over time, as a new mechanic for snipers how about:
whenever you land a head shot gain x additional combo (or deal additional damage)
a simple change, but a powerful one in the terms of combo stacking or damage dealing.
this rewards people with enough finesse and technique to land a head shot mid air (now you can finally MLG pro 360 no-scope for a better reason now)

3.) zephyr and chroma

two warframes, one a dragon, another a bird. what do they have? passives that prolong the time spent in the air
well of course anyone can look at these passives and will just scoff it off (after all we have NO reason to do anything in the air)
so how about an added feature?
chroma's new spectral scream now has 100% status chance but we all know that we arent going to hold the cast button and stare at the enemy till we fully apply the proc no sir.

so instead based off of chroma's afterburn augment I suggest we give chroma a fire/ice/toxin/electric ball projectile when casted in the air which will be a fairly short one handed action
when it hits an enemy or surface it applies the proc instantly to any entity within its aoe 
you can build off of this in numerous ways
for example apply a fire proc and strip armor you switch element and perhaps you can put on another proc with his triple jump and then use a slam attack to follow up from the air
apply an ice proc to slow enemies and then follow up with the sniper aerial change I stated earlier.
as for his augment for spectral scream I suggest that for his in air elemental projectile you can gain a charge feature to enhance the damage or aoe size of the radial blast?

and for zephyr how about we give an augment that changes her airburst?
as you all know she now can blast enemies away or draw them in to an area
her augment will boost the knock back or pull strength of her on ground cast, but in the air she shoots a fan of 5 smaller airbursts with reduced pull size and push strength
this is a nice change so that zephyr can release a fan of projectiles as it can work well with hitting multiple targets or increasing the seize of her many funnel tornadoes(with the augment of course).
even then I struggled a bit to still find a viable augment or change towards zephyr and chroma so I wanna see your ideas on skills or passive changes for my favorite birb and dragon

4.) mod revisions
we have many mods in warframe that interact with jump height, aerial attacks, and other effects my head is a little fried right now typing all of this so I will leave these ideas up to you to speculate

(if my brain recovers from typing all of this I will go back and add a 5th idea to the primary list on core mechanics)
and also DE if you read this I hope you can take some of this ideas and implement them so that tenno can take to the skies!

Archived