Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield fine-tuning and loadout

ixidron92

Wouldn't it be cool if we could change the frequencies at which our shields operate? Wouldn't it be cool if Warframe shields had their own separate loadout? but not with mods. How about repurposing that unused UI from the Railjack trailer, the one where they showed power level management, and apply that to warframe shielding in the Arsenal.

r/Warframe - Warframe shield fine-tuning loadout

That way, we could adjust our shields beforehand, save our various loadouts. Say, I'm in Deimos and I want more toxin resistance, so I crank the shield's toxin resistance, but then it's vulnerable to other elements. Same with capacity, regeneration delay, and regeneration speed. You can have a high capacity shield, but it'll have a longer regeneration delay and slower regeneration speed.

1 hour ago, ixidron92 said:

Wouldn't it be cool if we could change the frequencies at which our shields operate? Wouldn't it be cool if Warframe shields had their own separate loadout?

I am going to say no to both. I just feel like it doesn’t have much use for most content. There are ways to negate the low delay/regen with abilities. So you can just chuck it to max capacity and use something to replenish your shields. Individual resistances would need to be on more than just what you have there (no combined element). We already have mods to boost these if we wish to. So you can counter the loss of single element resistance with them.

How would you suggest dealing with the issues? How would abilities that grant shields work? How would mods that grant increased resistance work?

hace 27 minutos, krc473 dijo:

How would you suggest dealing with the issues? How would abilities that grant shields work? How would mods that grant increased resistance work?

I see no reason to change any of that. My idea just adds some extra customization to shields. I mean, it's not like Warframes are stupidly survivable as is. This would be a cool, extra detail and a way to utilize the foundation they've already laid. Combined element resistances can be calculated based on what you have assigned. ie.: 10% fire and 50% cold equals 30% blast. Or they could add more sliders, yeah. It was just a simple mockup. Shields have vulnerabilities as well. So, I guess sliders could go to something like [-100% to +95%] and you'd be able to customize it, cranking one up decreases the overall resistances of the others proportionally. 

I'm not asking for shields to have mod loadout, just those sliders that could help you fine-tune your shields to more specific enemies. i.e: if you're fighting corpus you might want to crank up electric resistance. Or if you're using Valkyr, you might want less recharge delay to benefit more from shield gating rather than extra capacity. With Hyldrin you might want faster recharge, and maybe with Khora you want extra capacity. 

It'd be cool if you could save various shield configurations and alternate between them on the fly with the press of a button.

51 minutes ago, ixidron92 said:

I'm not asking for shields to have mod loadout, just those sliders that could help you fine-tune your shields to more specific enemies

I think you misunderstood my comment. I was talking about mods like Insulation or Diamond Skin these increase specific resistances. And like everything else would be applied to the base stat, meaning it could negate most of the change. Yes it would be a waste of space on your frame's mods, but it could used.

I guess my main issue is how pointless shields feel. Your suggestion certainly is interesting. But I don't really see it doing much to make shields more useful. Yes, with low level content it could help, but that's also the area where you don't really care about survivability because it just isn't an issue. You might have options to maximise your benefits from shield gating though, so that's one good part at least.

• Would this help much for stuff like Sorties or Steel Path?

hace 12 horas, krc473 dijo:

I think you misunderstood my comment. I was talking about mods like Insulation or Diamond Skin these increase specific resistances. And like everything else would be applied to the base stat, meaning it could negate most of the change. Yes it would be a waste of space on your frame's mods, but it could used.

I guess my main issue is how pointless shields feel. Your suggestion certainly is interesting. But I don't really see it doing much to make shields more useful. Yes, with low level content it could help, but that's also the area where you don't really care about survivability because it just isn't an issue. You might have options to maximise your benefits from shield gating though, so that's one good part at least.

• Would this help much for stuff like Sorties or Steel Path?

Oh, those mods. Well, they exist. I still see no issue, as damage reduction still caps at 95% (or 90%?) and stuff here stacks multiplicatively, not additively. You won't get say 110% cold resistance.

People have been asking for shield hardening and shield resistance since forever. I think this is a  cool way to implement those, allowing quick customization on the fly. Without numbers, it'd be hard to say if this would be useless or too overpowered. 

I think this would help with sorties if there's an elemental modifier to enemies, and it'll help overall. Being able to tailor your shield to the specific enemy/mission/warframe is always a plus. 

6 hours ago, ixidron92 said:

Oh, those mods. Well, they exist. I still see no issue, as damage reduction still caps at 95% (or 90%?) and stuff here stacks multiplicatively, not additively. You won't get say 110% cold resistance

I was more considering people not going the full way. If someone takes a percentage of the resistance off they can counter it with a mod. It may not fully recover, but it’d go some of the way. All mod would apply to the base resistance, not whatever if is.

People have been asking for shield hardening and shield resistance since forever

Have they? I don’t think I have seen a single thread asking for this. Many for less useless shields, but I am not sure if they mean the same thing.

think this would help with sorties if there's an elemental modifier to enemies, and it'll help overall. Being able to tailor your shield to the specific enemy/mission/warframe is always a plus

I feel like it is something that would turn out like faction damage mods. People know about them but many ignore them. Yes, it might be useful for some people, but I am not this would be a well used system. It’s just a little pointless with how easy it is to kill things (even in sorties) and the fact we can so easily heal ourselves.

• i do think that a niche group may really like this though. I am not against it being implemented - we certain,h need something to make shields feel more useful.

hace 14 horas, krc473 dijo:

I was more considering people not going the full way. If someone takes a percentage of the resistance off they can counter it with a mod. It may not fully recover, but it’d go some of the way. All mod would apply to the base resistance, not whatever if is.

Have they? I don’t think I have seen a single thread asking for this. Many for less useless shields, but I am not sure if they mean the same thing.

I feel like it is something that would turn out like faction damage mods. People know about them but many ignore them. Yes, it might be useful for some people, but I am not this would be a well used system. It’s just a little pointless with how easy it is to kill things (even in sorties) and the fact we can so easily heal ourselves.

• i do think that a niche group may really like this though. I am not against it being implemented - we certain,h need something to make shields feel more useful.

I mean, this fine tuning would be completely optional and no mods are necessary. f people do nothing, their shields would remain as they are right now, but min-maxers would probably invest the time to create their perfect shield loadouts. And since you could technically change them mid-mission, you can experiment to your leisure. 

Archived