MR30 test: those last few guys.

Question

so I've been practicing the hell out of the MR30 test, and for the life of me I cannot find a way to kill the final set of bosses (where there's ten of them) AND still have enough life support to make it to the last tower. I only (almost) hit the tower once, and since then, I just can't kill the bosses fast enough.

I've got a Kuva Nukor, I've tried lots of different builds; max range Saryn, max range Xaku, Mesa, Inaros, Octavia.. I've even tried melee only with my Jat Kusar build that wipes the floor with everything but even with finishers I still can't seem to kill the bosses fast enough, and no matter how many minions I kill, even with Xaku or Saryn wiping the room over and over again, there just aren't enough drops to keep the mission going. 

so if any MR30s read these, please, share some wisdom: how'd you pass it? because outside of spending months perfecting an umbral build or waiting for a patch that will never come, I'm not sure this test is actually possible, at least for me. I'm not the only one apparently, someone told me about a guy with 300 attempts logged on it so far and hasn't passed yet. but it MUST be doable, I dare say it'd be  almost trivial if it weren't for:

- not enough LS drops.

- 10 bosses at once, the finishers thing worked well until I saw one of them was a Nox.. ffs.

- holes in the floor. I'm not gonna go into this because it actually makes me mad, but the simulacrum Tileset does suck. it's taken god knows how many runs just to get the jumps right and to not fall off the edge mid combat. 

and I'll say it so you don't have to: yes, I need to git gud. I've gotten better as time has gone by, but still never beat a practice run. so what am I missing here? any builds/ weapon/frame suggestions appreciated. 

and if there's a way to actually cheese the test by glitching i'm all ears lol.

Edited by (PSN)robotwars7
  • Like 3

On 2020-12-21 at 1:41 AM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

yes, I need to git gud.

That's not even neccessary. Take a look at this. The builds are at the end of the video. You'll only need to mash melee button and occasionally jump onto platforms with life supportt.

Edited by Xaero

Did the test with a fairly standard Umbral build for Mesa (version with more power strength instead of the Waltz augment). Kuva Hind for a primary just because I needed something decent that's full auto (for shooting the arbitration drones and nullifiers from afar). Aksomati and Paracesis for secondary/melee, but I didn't really use them. A cat with Animal Instinct helps gather life support.

The most important thing here is to understand the map's layout, so that you know which way to run once a wave's last boss is dead. Think of it as a figure-8 with a bit of verticality, understand where the capsules are (and in which order). You can get to all the capsules without void dashes, so I mostly avoided them (bullet jump + ground slam is much more controllable).

As far as life support goes - just concentrate a bit more on picking it up. Sometimes it's useful to quickly kill a bunch of extra normal enemies and pick up some more life support if you are getting low.

thankyou everyone for your replies! you've proven once again how great this community is. part of me always expects a grilling when I confess to struggling on the internet, but that didn't happen. thankyou for helping me to keep that last shred of faith in humanity I have!

I passed the test earlier today. it wasn't elegant or anything: max range Saryn, a Specter and a whole bunch of energy pads, constantly using Miasma on Spores and  Toxic Lash on my Ohma build. I legit had to go full tryhard, but made it. and now I get to gloat to everyone else about how amazing I am at this game  relax and do other stuff in warframe!

• Like 1

[laughs in Founder]  It's still kicking my teeth in and I do have most of the good toys.  My problem is that I'm not a berserker.  I'd rather take my time and solo a level as Loki.  This test pretty much goes totally against style.  I'll kindly disagree with DE.  This is not mastery, it's a speed run.  I feel like I'm rushed/panicked and not a master of a damned thing.  :-)

• Like 1

Zionblade, in case you haven't figured it out yet.

I agree with you that it's indeed a speed run of sorts. Like you, my playstyle is more laid back and not the sugar&caffeinated fed twitching runs that some prefer. I too had some issues with the MR test. Between being able to take the test and actually succeeding was a week, with many an hour spend tweaking builds, trying and failing the practice run over and over and over and over again.

Things to keep in mind = general info, tips and how I perceived it.

-Kill quick with what you feel comfortable with. Abilities or whatever weapon(s). The main thing is rapid kills. The more kills per second the more chance that LS will drop and the more LS drops the better. Forget about finesse, forget about complicated tactics. All that counts is speed and high DPS. Anything that you can do to aid either I would advise you look into, up to and including assigning shortcuts/key assignments to certain actions such as dropping energy pads/spectre's or even having a particular frame ability locked to a certain button.  E.G.: I had Mesa's regulators, a Saryn spectre and energy pads all very easily and quickly accessable by just a single button push or a flick of a finger.

-Don't hit the LS stations if you're life support is below 60 if you can avoid it. In other words, once you killed the bosses of that round, don't just fly of to hit the LS station but kill, quickly, any of the normal enemies do bring your LS level closer or ideal even towards minimal 70. However keep in mind that it has to happen very quickly because if it takes to much time to kill then you'll end up with a lower life support then if you would have just made a bee line to the LS station. Does this makes sense to you?

-Also try to avoid picking up LS if not needed, you can only have max 99. Plus if you don't pick something up on the way to the LS station it will be there during the next round. In other words, having your eyes on a swivel not just to keep track of the enemies but also to keep an eye on the HUD. This to aid you in making snap judgements if something is worth running to and picking up or saving it for later.

- FYI, LS stations drops 30%

- 5 waves, each with heavier enemies, each with more bosses. So if after the 1st wave you've hit the station and you end up with let's say 60%, then the chances are that you're going to run out of LS before you even get to the bosses on the 4th wave let alone the 5th wave.

- when the bosses of the 5th wave show up, don't worry about the non bosses unless you need LS or they hinder you in taking down the bosses. The quicker you take out the bosses the more time you'll have to make it to the final LS station. There's no need to clear the map of enemies.

- Learn the locations of the different LS stations, they are always in the same place and in the same sequence and learn how to get to them quickly and without fail. The one at the end of the 4th wave can be tricky unless you time it just so or use the operator or certain mods to enhance the jump back.

- be sure to have something to pop bubbles quickly as well as something that can take out an Eximus NOX (big boss in 5th wave) down in a few of seconds.

For me that was a combination of Kuva Twin Stubbas (lots of bullets) pretty much the same build as for the regulators, with emphasis on fire rate, multishot,damage, and crit. + a Rubico high crit build (to take off NOX's helmet and headshot him), Death Cube with energizer generator mod and 1star Saryn spectre to help with damage and taking some of the bullets that otherwise would be meant for me. And of course a Mesa build for range and strength with arcanes to help with doing pistol damage so they kick in for both the regulators as well as my Kuva twin stubbas. Using the regulators mostly to pick off the normal and mid level enemies/bosses and using the Twin Stubbas to headshot the heaviest bosses.

- Lots of different people have done it with lots of different frames, different weapons and different builds on those frames and weapons not to mention sentinels/pets. Anywhere from Ivara to Excalibur, with only melee or using all and sundry up to and including operator. Most of the people I personally know did it with Mesa Prime regulators and some sort of bullet hose kind of weapon (Kuva Nukor, Kuva Twin Stubbas, etc.) . All had different builds and different set ups.  Some with these arcanes others with those and some without. There are those that advice Saryn or Octavia. In the end, the only one that knows what will work for you, is you. Try & Error.

Last thing : Having a bit of luck. If the arby drone pops up in the middle of a bunch of enemies in any wave, being obscured so as to prevent a clean shot at it then you might end up struggling. So may RNG be in your favour. Good luck.

It is doable, even for us that don't enjoy speed runs or endurance runs. It just takes us a bit longer to get everything set up so as to make it happen.

Hope this helps you or others. Good luck.

• Like 2
On 2020-12-20 at 4:41 PM, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

- not enough LS drops.

- 10 bosses at once, the finishers thing worked well until I saw one of them was a Nox.. ffs.

- holes in the floor. I'm not gonna go into this because it actually makes me mad, but the simulacrum Tileset does suck. it's taken god knows how many runs just to get the jumps right and to not fall off the edge mid combat. 

1. The point is speed killing with a timer that you can replenish via completion of a round.  Don't play it like it's survival, you're not going for LS drops here.  You're trying to get the requisite kills to spawn the bosses and that's mostly it.
  2. This is mitigated by loadout, which I'll give you mine in a second.  The Nox and Heavy Gunner are not run of the mill enemies.  These are SP versions.  Again, mastery is being tested here.  SP was a requirement for MR 30 when I got it, though it won't be some time soon with all the gear they're adding.
  3. This is the primary "git gud" part.  This is the max rank test for mastery of the game's systems.  The MR exams test you on more than combat, there are several about movement.  Being able to move properly in a hazardous area during stressful combat is the whole point of testing your mastery.  If you cannot manage your spacial awareness during combat, then that is the area of the test you do not pass and need to improve on before you're given a rank that says "I can manage my spacial awareness during combat."  This is the only portion where I would tell you "git gud."  The rest of it is just game knowledge.

As for a loadout suggestion:  This is pure meta cheese, because min/maxing is about game knowledge which is part of mastery IMO.

Frame:  Revenant can give you breathing room from all the concentrated fire on you via Enthrall.  Mesmer skin will prevent you from taking damage, so long as you're paying attention to your charges.  Built properly, Danse Macabre will wipe trash mobs quickly enough that you can summon the bosses before your LS gets low, as well as increase RNG LS drops through sheer number of kills.  It will also kill your thralls if you have any out which will create pillars that will make more thralls.  Outside of Mesmer Skin for invulnerability, I did not use any of Revenant's abilities on the bosses.  That's for your weapons.

Primary: Amprex.  Don't build it for damage.  Build it purely for corrosive with status chance, range, fire rate and other utility.  You're going to use this to take down the heavy armor of the bosses to more manageable levels.  I'd recommend a holster speed mod in there somewhere, here and on your secondary.

Secondary:  Kuva Nukor.  Element doesn't really matter here, but toxin would be preferable.  You're going to slap viral on this with the same "no damage, all status" build.  Range, fire rate, etc are your friends.  Because these are both beam weapons and you're not concerned with damage, DO NOT put multishot on them as it does not effect status chance in any way on single beam weapons.  You're here to put on corrosive and viral procs as quickly as possible.  Mine can put 10 stacks of each on multiple targets (chaining ftw) in less than 5 seconds total, so shoot for being able to do that with your builds.

Melee:  Stropha, built for heavy attack.  Despite the alloy armor on the Nox and a few other units I used my corrosive build and it worked fine.  Radiation would also probably work fine because it's a Stropha and you're heavy attacking with it against enemies that should have vastly reduced armor and a huge damage bonus against them.  You can also use this to take down the drones.  

Last tip:  Make use of your operator.  Depending on what school you're using, operators have so much utility and I hardly ever see people using them, including high level players.  Operators can have armor strip, or massive enemy slow, and using arcanes, near instant healing for your frame and the ability to lock down a large amount of enemies.  They also provide a huge boon to movement.  I actually made a really cocky error on my actual test and nearly failed my first real run of it by making a really lazy, bad jump for the last platform.  Operator saved me.  You can slingshot your frame, even over a nogo zone, by quickly entering operator and void dashing straight up once or twice, then pulling your frame back to you before it zones you out, by using transference.  If you're good with it and over a sufficiently open area (like the MR testing area.), you can keep your frame aloft for quite a while doing this.  Use your operator more and learn better movement with your frame for the LS tower platforms.  You can clear a 70m gap without height advantage in a warframe very easily.  So long as you actually have mastery over all these systems this test should be challenging but not downright impossible.

On 2020-12-25 at 10:29 PM, Zionblade said:

This is not mastery, it's a speed run.

They test you on everything though.  There's stealth tests, movement tests, combat tests, etc.  There are many portions of the game that require high kill speed, and while you may not play or enjoy those, "True Master" indicates that you are capable of running all content, including content you don't like.  This is a test of your ability to control a crowd while dealing with hardened targets under duress of a timer and a hazardous environment.  It requires pretty much all game knowledge except stealth.  That may go against the tagline of "ninja's play free" but the name of the game and the lore indications are not about us being stealthy ninjas, but war platforms.  I have my own issues with parts of this test, but it's a solid test of your ability to be a master war platform.  

A "berserker" could not finish this test because it requires a planned loadout and target prioritization along with rapid but precise movement. 

• Like 2

Well, I agree that the test is hard. It is also quite well designed, as is fitting for a MR30 test. I overconfidently tried my "usual suspects" and only got close once. Ouch!  I'll admit my first feelings were along the lines "wtf, how is this supposed to be possible?". Might have been easier if I checked for ready-made solutions on the net, but that spoils most of the fun.

Spent over two hours throwing all kinds of tricks at this, then had to take a step back and actually think out solutions for all the problems I had encountered. There are probably lots of solutions to do this (there usually are), but what I came up with was a Mesa build with Ivara's Quiver "infused" (for invis = breathing space + energy pizza moments), a "single-shot" Vectis (for range-popping those &%¤#¤ drones, plus other stuff conveniently showing up in the crosshairs) and a Rattleguts "pray-and-spray" secondary (mainly for nully bubbles, but hey...). And suddenly it wasn't all that impossible anymore. Once you remove the nully and the drone Mesa just drops everything as long as you are close enough, and with enough energy she can even have her protection up. If you move good enough you can create an invis spot while in the air and then land smack in it. What was left was to figure out a path to use, that took an additional 4-5 training runs. Was shaken up enough to do another 3 test runs just to be sure (passed easily), then did the challenge.

Kudos to DE for this, it really felt like a MR30 challenge, thanks! The best one so far, and overwhelmingly so.

Edited by Graavarg

honestly the only thing that screws me up is the real long jump you gotta make where there is a ramp going down and nothing between you and the life support.

now i just passed my last practice but failed the main test because i couldn't make the jump back to the main area which screwed me over.

other than that using mesa and my kuva nukor covered most of the enemies.

4 hours ago, (PSN)SlyFox5679 said:

honestly the only thing that screws me up is the real long jump you gotta make where there is a ramp going down and nothing between you and the life support.

now i just passed my last practice but failed the main test because i couldn't make the jump back to the main area which screwed me over.

other than that using mesa and my kuva nukor covered most of the enemies.

SlyFox5679,

I can be a bit tricky if you start jumping just to earlier or just to late when making your way back up, specifically because you don't want to spend more time down there then you have to. A couple of options : add a mod to give you a bit more jump distance/aim glide or use your operator void dashing to get back up there.

In the end I did the later, just aim high and do a dash making sure you are angled in the right direction. It was the only time I actually used my operator in that test.

Just in case anyone else needs help, the easiest way to do it (and one I haven't seen anybody else mention) is going with Wukong and the Kuva Bramma (that's it!). Use any strong melee weapon you feel comfortable with, your clone will be doing most of the hard work with those radial explosions (you won't even feel stressed about getting more life support because the enemies will be dropping like flies). The only time you'll really need to focus on the bosses is the final round (at which point you can just kill them with your melee weapon if you brought a strong one, or just switch to the Kuva Bramma). 

Some advantages:

- You have 3 "get-out-of-jail-free cards" with Wukong (no need to worry about dying and wasting time).

- Your fisrt ability (the clone) doesn't stop working if a Nullifier shows up.

- If for some reason you can't use your Operator to get to the Life Support capsules, you can just fly to them with Wukong.

- Throughout the whole test you will only need to use an ability once (at the start to summon your clone), so you won't even need energy pads (except maybe for some healing with your 2 if you need it, but that would only happen twice at most).

That's all there is to it, enjoy your easy MR30!

• Like 1

@(PSN)robotwars7

You can do it with almost any frame, Saryn is especially good doesn't take max ranger 220 is plenty, with rest in str. The big tip remove anything that does vacuum/fetch or that sucks up life support drops, Then only pick them up to stay at 70, because each tower is +35 this will leave you a ton of them for the late stages. make sure to kill the arbitration drone with something like a kuva kohm. The kronen prime with almost no investment can handle everything else in there fine, There is no need to rush, you can keep a nice casual kill pace, and finish. If you need some extra help use regenerative molt, Vizier Predasite(Iatric Mycelium extra heals),  or think about Pillage instead(helminth) since it removes a little more armour. These days because of health issues the game is a giant blur, and I have almost no use of one hand, and I still passed, so you can as well.

1 hour ago, Nichivo said:

@(PSN)robotwars7

You can do it with almost any frame, Saryn is especially good doesn't take max ranger 220 is plenty, with rest in str. The big tip remove anything that does vacuum/fetch or that sucks up life support drops, Then only pick them up to stay at 70, because each tower is +35 this will leave you a ton of them for the late stages. make sure to kill the arbitration drone with something like a kuva kohm. The kronen prime with almost no investment can handle everything else in there fine, There is no need to rush, you can keep a nice casual kill pace, and finish. If you need some extra help use regenerative molt, Vizier Predasite(Iatric Mycelium extra heals),  or think about Pillage instead(helminth) since it removes a little more armour. These days because of health issues the game is a giant blur, and I have almost no use of one hand, and I still passed, so you can as well.

I appreciate the advice.. but I did pass the test like a week ago lol. wanted to keep the thread open in case anyone else had the same problem and could use the advice too. :)

I used Wukong, my hybrid Gaze secondary modded for Viral and Guandao Prime with Blood Rush, Weeping Wounds and no elementals. On non boss phase, let the close shoot the kitgun and just build the 12x combo on Guandao, making it red crit all the time. On boss phase, shoot your kitgun first to prime the boss in viral stacks and just swing around. Guandao's range will kill both osprey and arbi drone without much trouble, and viral boosted red crit slash procs will do the rest. Fly with Cloud Walker to get the towers.

29 minutes ago, RobWasHere said:

Fly with Cloud Walker to get the towers.

That fact alone might warrant a reason to use Wukong, as getting to the Air Towers was frustrating and I had to adjust my usage of the Operator Dash as I would over shoot them and plummet into the abyss most of the time.  Thank you for your advice and if it helps someone succeed at such a challenging test of skills, it is a good thing indeed.

23 hours ago, (PSN)SlyFox5679 said:

The number of MR 30 players that neglect their operators as even movement tools is kind of staggering to me.  An average warframe without any movement mods can clear about 70 meters in a single jump sequence, on flat ground, or even at a slight height disadvantage.  An operator can clear about 200 meters in any direction with the extra operator energy and void dash speed waybounds unlocked.  For reference, that really big extraction tile on the Corpus ice planet where you exit the grate and then there's a little bit of structure and some large rocks before a huge open area to get to the twin platforms for extraction?  An operator can clear that entire section with void dash.

And yet people are having trouble getting to this life support platform.  There are MR tests for just your operator.  You're expected to use them.

7 hours ago, (XBOX)sinamanthediva said:

I had to adjust my usage of the Operator Dash as I would over shoot them and plummet into the abyss most of the time.

If you want to hit a specific spot with void dash, don't try to hit it from the side or a low angle.  Aim above where your target is with one dash so that the next dash will be straight down to it.  You can also use transference mid-air, so you can get close then use your frame's mobility to get the rest of the way.  You can use this same trick to keep from falling into no-go zones if you're fast enough.  If you're falling and it's not recoverable, transfer into Op, dash straight up once or twice, then transfer again which will pull your frame back to you.  You can slingshot your frame out of holes like this assuming you're fast enough and have enough space.

Edited by (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan