Temporary sub-forum for Update 30: Call of the Tempestarii ×

I think I figured out why Necramechs feel so slow and sluggish to play with, despite decent movement speed.

It's not a secret that compared to warframes, necramechs are extremly slow and don't quite have the same elegance in movement.

Now of course, some of that is due to it being a mech, afterall, the bigger you make something the heavier it gets and the slower it feels.

But in a game like warframe, with one of the best movement systems I've ever played with, it stands out a lot more than it should.

There are 2 things that i think could be changed slightly, to make the mech movement feel a lot better without giving up on the idea of it being a giant mech.

First one is the hard landing on even the smallest of elevation changes. Warframes have this too, but the height at which Necramechs perform a hard landing is kind of ridicolous, go down a stair fast enough and you can trigger it. Or jump once and you trigger it. This makes the movement feel so interrupted and i always find myself rather not wanting to jump in most situations.

And yes, I am aware that just like warframes you can cancel the hard landing by aiming downsight (Aimglide/Hover) but this doesn't excuse the ridicolously low height of which necramechs perform a hard landing.

If it could be increased to at the very least their own jump height, it would go a really long way in making them feel smoother to play with.

The second change I would like to see is the stop they perform after a boost. The boost is there to get you from A to B faster, however, there are many obstacles in your way most of the times, so you'll end up having to boost twice or even 3 times because maneuverability is very limited during it (for good reason).

But if the distance you're trying to cover is only maybe 20-50m it can be extremly frustrating, to have your mech do this pause to stand up right again after you stop boosting. Sometimes it feels like you would have just been faster with sprinting.

Personally I would like to see it removed completly, but I'd also be happy to just see the time it takes you to recover from the boost until you're able to walk/sprint again, be reduced to 0.2-0.4 seconds.

Operation Orphix Venom has really put a spotlight on those issues for me, because normal tilesets obviously were not designed with necramechs in mind. So when you compare them to how your warframe can move through those tilesets, it's a night and day difference.

So instead of adjusting the tilesets (which i know will never happen), adjust the necramech movement slightly. It doesn't have to be able to bulletjump and roll and wallclimb, but just remove the unnecessary pauses between different actions. They drag down the whole expirience for me.

Here is a short video, demonstrating both issues I'm talking about.

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, saghzs said:

And yes, I am aware that just like warframes you can cancel the hard landing by aiming downsight (Aimglide/Hover) but this doesn't excuse the ridicolously low height of which necramechs perform a hard landing.

Kinda answered your own question/grime.

If you had the same weight as mech you would superhero land everywhere too.

(Superhero landing is easy to get past trough. Just sprint/slide right before you land and it will slide and not do the landing animation. I still don't know how to cancel out hardstop but Ill find a way for that too)

Yes some changes are needed thats why we have the event to help them find out the flaws but please don't try to make them move the same as warframes....

1 hour ago, Askell91 said:

Yes some changes are needed thats why we have the event to help them find out the flaws but please don't try to make them move the same as warframes....

I'm not asking for them to feel as smooth as warframes.

Just a little less clunky than they currently are.

The 2 changes I'd like to see won't kill the heavy feeling of the mechs, it'll simply make it more enjoyable to move around in them, when you don't get forced to stop after every jump/boost.

Just now, saghzs said:

I'm not asking for them to feel as smooth as warframes.

Just a little less clunky than they currently are.

The 2 changes I'd like to see won't kill the heavy feeling of the mechs, it'll simply make it more enjoyable to move around in them, when you don't get forced to stop after every jump/boost.

You are not forced... you have to push 1 button 2 times.

By this thinking you should start arguing why do we have to use the movement keys when they could make it automatic.

I swear to god I have to make a tutorial video how to move with mechs..... I tryed OBS recorder but it did not rly work out.

Just now, Askell91 said:

You are not forced... you have to push 1 button 2 times.

By this thinking you should start arguing why do we have to use the movement keys when they could make it automatic.

I swear to god I have to make a tutorial video how to move with mechs..... I tryed OBS recorder but it did not rly work out.

I'm well aware that you can hover to cancel out the heavy landing, I even mentioned this exact same thing in my original post.

But as i also stated there, it is not an excuse to have such a sluggish movement attached to the mechs.

10 minutes ago, saghzs said:

I'm well aware that you can hover to cancel out the heavy landing, I even mentioned this exact same thing in my original post.

But as i also stated there, it is not an excuse to have such a sluggish movement attached to the mechs.

You can cancel out the landing by hovering before landing but that makes it clunky for you.

Try slide->jump->slide before landing and you wont't be stopped anywhere.

This is like "coptering" was in the ancient. Needs a bit of practice and skill. Or does it? :)

Edited by Askell91
11 hours ago, saghzs said:

to make the mech movement feel a lot better without giving up on the idea of it being a giant mech

which they aren't in the slightest... every mech-related game i ever played, foremost the battlemech games, are a whole different kind of experience in the way of movement... sure, one can't implement this 1 on 1 into warframe, but there is no technical (engine wise) reason to the two mechs we have to be that sluggish.

they are only a little bit bigger than a frame and so is, seemingly, their mass. they are supportedly more powerfull and powered too than a frame, which would compensate any mass-related difference. ofc, i don't expect them to be as agil as any frame but as you said already, the damnable staggering effect after every dash and the far too long one after an air-slam too is giving the most of this 'sluggish' feeling... a minor one is the movement in dash-mode and the one during hover-mode too - but those are not that annoying as the stagger after dash and landing.

the culprit imo here is the unnecessary animation some devs seems fixated on - they might look nice and all, but do hell to the gameplay (seriously, i doubt that the devs who created those animation EVER player the damn things in a real mission).

also, the mods for the mechs shuold get some more attention regarding the effectiveness of them... a lot of them feels even worse than what we have in archwing which is already bad (except for amesha who still is near impossible to defeat).

beside the movement - and i apologise for the little derailment here, there is a problem with the way of armament. imo, both mechs shuold be able to carry TWO AW-weapons at the same time, and any kind of combination of them too (meaning two different ones, even two AW-melee if one chooses so). even if we had to build two guns of the same type to equip (e.g) 2 imperator guns would be ok with me... just make them have more firepower than even the weakest frame can have with the right loadout (and no, i don't wnat to mention the vodrigs 4th, which is indeed an overpowered gun but it's circumstancial and stationary both - which makes this little DUAL-gun, perfectly ok).

lastly, the jumping is a problem too: not the height nor the hover-mode themself are, but the silly mechanic of action itself - meaning, the 'jetpacks' that obviously power the jump of the mechs (and let them hover) should behave as one, be letting the user choose the heigth themself by keeping the jump-button pressed (or not)... always having to jump the maximum height when i only want to jump over a little obstacle, is rediculous and in the current operation, we only his the roof anyway in most of the environment - sometimes, that even prevent one from jumping over the smallest possible obstacle at all since the mech bounces from the roof just before the obstacle one wanted to get over... add to this the sluggish movement and the only viable way of moving fast in the operation is by switching to the frame or even the operator whenever travling between the orphix-zones... this is kinda sad in my book.

if DE really is going to make the use of mechs a possible option in normal missions (which i hope they will), they should learn from this test operation all that is wrong about the mechs and also what is good and therefore i have some hope some or all mentioned aspects will be reviewed.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, fr4gb4ll said:

the culprit imo here is the unnecessary animation some devs seems fixated on - they might look nice and all, but do hell to the gameplay (seriously, i doubt that the devs who created those animation EVER player the damn things in a real mission).

Yeah, it really feels like it. Cool looking but is not fun to play at all.

I read the title and was like "I know exactly the two things they are going to mention" and I was right. Yeah the "recovery" animations of the necramechs are pretty obnoxious the only thing that is worse is accidentally entering a broken mech and having to wait out it's "rebuilding" animation.

• Like 1