Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2020 Acquisition News

[DE]Rebecca

Tenno!

Depending how long you’ve been around these parts, you may remember we had some acquisition news to share in 2014 and 2016.

Years have gone by, Warframe has grown and grown, and as 2020 wraps up we have another round of Acquisition news to share.

Digital Extremes (that’s us) is now owned by Tencent. We’re joining the ranks of some of our favourite developers, too! We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all.

Full news can be read here: https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/digital-extremes-partners-with-tencent

For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! 

I just hope you all keep your jobs and Tencent doesn't make too many changes as they are known for in terms of monetization. They are no friend to gamers and tend to get their money's worth from investments.

Very sorry to hear this actually went through and hopefully you lads do keep independent from them. Just remember who you are in bed with. I know you lads have zero say in the matter as its the parent company sell out.

But keep in mind these things DE staff like Tencent has a very close relationship with the Chinese government. They have been caught up in human right violations and supplying user data to the goverment. Never alone their censorship nonense. Not that it matters the buggers own so much of everything it's insanely annoying.

it's just a shame. I feel bad supporting anything they own because people suffer.

Just incase i hope Winnie the Pooh is always allowed. Tencent went out of its way to produce a game honoring the Chinese president, Xi Jinping. Clap for Xi Jinping, a game in which players applaud the president's speech.

Just to be clear i love DE and the staff but i have alot of hatered for Tencent. I just hope they truly do leave DE alone as a silent owner. Just remember that we support DE and their staff not Tencent.

4 minutes ago, Nianque said:

Sorry to hear the buy-out by Tencent actually happened. Here's hoping the game stays in the same shape it's been in. And that certain Tencent-related things don't happen.

It will for the Chinese version. Far as I've seen, especially as a very long-time player of Path of Exile which has been owned by Tencent for a while now, they tend not to tamper with games outside of their country.

Just now, KCToxic said:

Digital Extremes has been owned in part or in entirety by a Chinese company since 2014.

yeah, by a Hong Kong company.
now it belongs to a company well known for participating games companies, ruining the games, alienating the playerbase and then moving on to the next game to do the same...

Just now, KCToxic said:

Digital Extremes has been owned in part or in entirety by a Chinese company since 2014.

The chicken nugget company that DE was previously with was quite hands-off in terms of creative freedom, if I recall correctly.

Tencent may have something to say in the creative direction. That said, Grinding Gear Games/Path of Exile has been doing really well, generally.

5 minutes ago, KCToxic said:

Not like Tencent, The other lads hold no candle to Chinese mega EA. We just have to hope they don't meddle in DE , no job cuts , no odd monetization pushes and allow DE to remain to themselves as they promised.

Not doom and gloom just something to be aware of now. Tencent are no friend to gamers and have a tendency to ruin things they touch for profits unfortunately it works.

2 minutes ago, (PSN)Mofojokers said:

Not like Tencent, The fishing lads hold no candle to Chinese mega EA. We just have to hope they don't meddle in DE , no job cuts , no odd monetization pushes and allow DE to remain to themselves as they promised.

Not doom and gloom just something to be aware of now.

the question is: how much money can a broken promise make?

My heart goes out to you, DE. Stay strong, and know that players like myself have your back. We know that your hands were off the wheel back when you had to desperately reach out to investors and Leyou picked you up. They seemed to be good for you until now, but you're out of the frying pan and finally into the fire. Accordingly, I hope that you'll stand for morals and human rights and make your way elsewhere. Know that you have my support anywhere ELSE you go. I trust you've laid plans for this day and are capable of gaining your independence, whatever way is necessary. With great sadness though, this will be where I part ways with Warframe. I saw the circular/announcement from Leyou earlier today and have already made plans to divest my clan and my friends are leaving with me. But the second I hear about DE buying themselves, or a Kickstarter or project "from the makers of Warframe" you can know I'll be there.

So Long, Space Ninja

Archived