Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2020 Acquisition News

[DE]Rebecca

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all.

I will anxiously hold you to your word on this statement.

3 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! 

And you probably would have been better off not saying something like this.

16 minutes ago, WildEyolf said:

What Does It Mean When We Stick Our Tongues Out? | Psychology Today

Sticking tongue out: What it means, the psychology, and conditions (medicalnewstoday.com)

I presume you mean it as playful but considering the particular company you're being purchased by, and the sensitivity of the topic.
It seems like you do not fully comprehend the interpretations of the situation or you are un-aware how your words / actions affect people; or simply don't care about the people that disagree or are upset with the Tencent purchase and you effectively just told them to Flock Off

It would be nice if DE showed a bit more respect to its players.

What do you expect her to do? Just walk in and take on the whole First Order Tencent?

What do you want her to say? What is disrespectful here? Do you want a cold, corporate relationship instead of the ability to be friendly and playful with the community? How did she tell people to screw off? I'm really confused there. Sure, she is short on detail, but what details could she possibly add that would remove the fears and or hatred many of you have for Tencent? 

Do you want her to say "I understand you are afraid, I am too?" She can't say that, or anything like it, it wouldn't be professional if if she did think that. She can't buy the company back, so I'm really confused what you expect her to do here to be honest. There are stuck, at this point. They don't control whether they were sold or not. And before you call me a white knight, you could easily check my posting history and see I am fair and  give them ample constructive criticism where applicable. I just honestly am not sure what you want from her here, this is out of their hands, and writing more detail would just give people more ammo to argue or doom and gloom about. People already have picked over minute bits about the deal they could find in the news for months now, arguing over what it meant and doomsaying relentlessly. 

4小时前 , [DE]Rebecca 说:

Digital Extremes (that’s us) is now owned by Tencent. We’re joining the ranks of some of our favourite developers, too! We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all.

IF DE can do this , of cause it would be so nice. But all gamers know, if Tencent try to make things, this will be S#&$. i know some game wont get much changes, like POE etc. Hope WF can keep going. i dont want to have any VIP system in warframe lmao

I am hoping this will add to some management of releases and resources where one persons opinions are not all that drives content deployments.

That is the one thing i always disliked about DE.

I wouldnt say i am enthusiastic, but i am hopeful it will bring positive changes.

An owner that knows the business is definitely better than an investor that doesnt know jack S#&$ about the actual industry,

But if it does go the route of chinese gacha games .... we will cross that bridge when we get there.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

so for worse then, because tencent->epicgames->fortnite, and given DE's record of rushed, and low-quality updates the entire year of 2020, DE better start improving, and fast. no more showing us an event/operation for the first time then releasing it 3 days later before any work based on feedback can be done.

P.S. i swear if i see Excalibur or any warframe flossing, someone is getting an angry letter.

4 hours ago, (XBOX)OdinsDottir said:

Congrats?

LOL that's a good thing, right?!?!

Seriously though, congrats.

I wouldn't say "congrats" to DE being bought out by a company that literally caused people to die and sued independent bloggers for bad reviews. RIP DE and RIP warframe, it had a good run.

4 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Digital Extremes (that’s us) is now owned by Tencent. We’re joining the ranks of some of our favourite developers, too! We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all.

Yeah I don't think that's gonna happen and if it does It might not be long-term DE. Sorry to break the bad news. I think any boons that may possibly come of this acquisition will most likely be short-lived. I'm not very optimistic of this acquisition at all and I fear things are going to go downhill fast.

I however am gonna hope everything works out.

4 hours ago, (PSN)Mofojokers said:

Not like Tencent, The other lads hold no candle to Chinese mega EA. We just have to hope they don't meddle in DE , no job cuts , no odd monetization pushes and allow DE to remain to themselves as they promised.

Not doom and gloom just something to be aware of now. Tencent are no friend to gamers and have a tendency to ruin things they touch for profits unfortunately it works.

4 hours ago, Raylo555 said:

the question is: how much money can a broken promise make?

I hope they don't meddle with DE too, but since tencent owns Leyou now and considering tencent's past, I don't think that'll happen. They have so much money they can just simply bribe and just by doing their usual agenda they could make millions and not to mention do other shady tactics like having some games require or did require RING 0 access, most notably Valorant.

4 hours ago, Nianque said:

Here's hoping the game stays in the same shape it's been in. And that certain Tencent-related things don't happen.

4 hours ago, Pizzarugi said:

It will for the Chinese version. Far as I've seen, especially as a very long-time player of Path of Exile which has been owned by Tencent for a while now, they tend not to tamper with games outside of their country.

I hope you both are right as I have loved this game and it's universe since 2015. It would be a shame if it gets torn asunder or tainted.

5 hours ago, [DE]Rebecca said:

Tenno!

Depending how long you’ve been around these parts, you may remember we had some acquisition news to share in 2014 and 2016.

Years have gone by, Warframe has grown and grown, and as 2020 wraps up we have another round of Acquisition news to share.

Full news can be read here: https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/digital-extremes-partners-with-tencent

The announcement mentions "upgrading Warframe based on your feedback." Here's some feedback: upgrade Warframe's movement animations (how we move with guns and melee weapons, as well as unarmed movement) to be more natural, more human-like. The current movement animations haven't been upgraded since 2013, and are lower quality than newer animation work in the game. Some older melee attack animations could also use a rework.

2 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

What do you expect her to do? Just walk in and take on the whole First Order Tencent?

What do you want her to say? What is disrespectful here? Do you want a cold, corporate relationship instead of the ability to be friendly and playful with the community? How did she tell people to screw off? I'm really confused there. Sure, she is short on detail, but what details could she possibly add that would remove the fears and or hatred many of you have for Tencent? 

Do you want her to say "I understand you are afraid, I am too?" She can't say that, or anything like it, it wouldn't be professional if if she did think that. She can't buy the company back, so I'm really confused what you expect her to do here to be honest. There are stuck, at this point. They don't control whether they were sold or not. And before you call me a white knight, you could easily check my posting history and see I am fair and  give them ample constructive criticism where applicable. I just honestly am not sure what you want from her here, this is out of their hands, and writing more detail would just give people more ammo to argue or doom and gloom about. People already have picked over minute bits about the deal they could find in the news for months now, arguing over what it meant and doomsaying relentlessly. 

I expect her to say exactly what she said excluding the below statement

"For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! "

I see however you're going to misinterpret what I stated which was rather specific, and attempt to twist my argument into one you'll win against instead of the actual argument

You mentioned that if she said more it could add fuel to the fire.
I am mentioning she should have SAID LESS, not more.
I also never asked for details. I think you may have quoted the wrong post, because you're sure as hell arguing something completely different

You did express confusion though. 

So lets presume you are genuinely confused and misinterpreted things honestly, and did mean to quote my post.

The statement of
"For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! "

Was completely unnecessary. If you break these words down it essentially translates to

Regardless if the result of this change is positive or negative. You the players or people who disagree with this change; are stuck with the decision of DE.

This is then followed up with a tongue stick out emoji. A tongue stick-out emoji after such a statement can reasonably be interpreted as meaning a tease or insult, or playful but generally in a negative way.

Leave the entire message as is, but remove

As the veiled "flock off" to the people who disagree with this transaction should not be there and IS NOT PROFESSIONAL. Veiled Hostility is not professional

Here is the best part. If not intentional veiled hostility on Rebecca's part

What the hell was this statement meant to accomplish?
It is not a professional statement

Everyone in a modern democracy have local elected officials. Communicate with them (letters, email, twitter) to findout if they share common values like human rights, fair pay, working conditions, and equality. Look at their voting records on bills and change your vote if they have obviously failed to represent the same values as you.

These acquisitions only came about because many good people aren't taking part in the broader community and scrutinizing elected representatives.

I hope you will hold all creativity and direction rights for a long time, don't let chinese people tell you what to do. Tencent is no kind compagny but a colossus that is only interested in profit. Just look at the state of league of legend. I hope we will never see such pratices as lootboxes and random stuff like that I find the actual monetization system very interesting and in fact warframe is the only game I ever put money in.

Remember: Your governments have the authority to regulate and ban undesirable market activity, including the acquisition or merger of businesses within your borders... If only you should vote for it. Which you can, because after all, most of us here are not from countries with authoritarian government structures.

All I'm saying is that if you don't like this, maybe complaining on the forums isn't the most efficient manner to stop it. Perhaps it's the ballot box, or something of that nature.

But what what do I know. I'm just some dangerous radical in need of corporate censorship, the sort that thinks people should get what they want, and not what multinational corporations think they should have. :)

8 hours ago, craftfaster2 said:

"We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all"

name me one company where this worked out 100%

Path of exile and gear grinding games, it only affected the chinese version of the game and *thats* it

Oow, what can I say. Personally I've been hating Tencent games from ten yrs ago.  Though I'm from China, yet still I don't think DE owned by Tencent is a wise choice. REALLY hope Tencent just leave DE along and don't make stupid moves.

I would make a joke here about the game is going to be filled with micro-transactions from here on out, but honestly, it already is... It's just gonna be A LOT more in your face in the future.

Also.. I wonder what would happen if a content creator in the creator program adds in a picture of Winnie the Pooh and the chinese president in the same video, for what ever reason; are DE gonna ban 'em right away for *insert bullshít reason number 54 here* or are they just gonna look the other way and pretend they didn't see it in the first place?🤔

8 hours ago, WildEyolf said:

What Does It Mean When We Stick Our Tongues Out? | Psychology Today

Sticking tongue out: What it means, the psychology, and conditions (medicalnewstoday.com)

I presume you mean it as playful but considering the particular company you're being purchased by, and the sensitivity of the topic.
It seems like you do not fully comprehend the interpretations of the situation or you are un-aware how your words / actions affect people; or simply don't care about the people that disagree or are upset with the Tencent purchase and you effectively just told them to Flock Off

It would be nice if DE showed a bit more respect to its players.

You post two links to show why you are feeling disrespected when the articles you link both state that sicking one's tongue out are "Depending on context—and placement—tongue protrusion can imply almost anything" and "In any case, a person who sticks out their tongue during a task is not harmful, nor is it a sign of an underlying issue." Did you even read the articles you linked or did you just google them and assume they would support your view? Because as it stands, all you did was show you are choosing to view an emoticon, an EMOTICON for god's sake, in the worst possible way just for the sake of some sense of justified outrage. 

I can only assume that this one section

1. Emoticons, as they’ve been used in the past and today on computers—as in :-P or =)~  —noting that this emblem can be intended as “silly, flirting, or teasing.” Or, sharply contrasting to this, “mocking: . . . like saying ‘pfft’—I don't want to hear what you have to say". The author’s conclusion: “Without seeing body language and hearing the tone of voice on the computer, it is easily interpreted wrongly,” advising readers “to be careful and use the rules of netiquette”

is where you decided to get your outrage fuel from, but even there it shows you are ignoring the obvious context (which can be seen by the term "stuck" which denotes self-effacing, since being stuck with something implies a negative conotation on the thing, not you). 

This whole Tencent thing is worrying as it is, it doesn't need people making pseudointellectual arguments that make it worse, and I mean that term in the literal sense: framed to sound like an intellectual argument while not containing any actual qualities of an actual intellectual argument, and not as a flippant insult, just incase you decide to ignore the context of that statement as well.

10 hours ago, WildEyolf said:

I expect her to say exactly what she said excluding the below statement

"For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! "

I see however you're going to misinterpret what I stated which was rather specific, and attempt to twist my argument into one you'll win against instead of the actual argument

You mentioned that if she said more it could add fuel to the fire.
I am mentioning she should have SAID LESS, not more.
I also never asked for details. I think you may have quoted the wrong post, because you're sure as hell arguing something completely different

You did express confusion though. 

So lets presume you are genuinely confused and misinterpreted things honestly, and did mean to quote my post.

The statement of

Was completely unnecessary. If you break these words down it essentially translates to

Regardless if the result of this change is positive or negative. You the players or people who disagree with this change; are stuck with the decision of DE.

This is then followed up with a tongue stick out emoji. A tongue stick-out emoji after such a statement can reasonably be interpreted as meaning a tease or insult, or playful but generally in a negative way.

Leave the entire message as is, but remove

As the veiled "flock off" to the people who disagree with this transaction should not be there and IS NOT PROFESSIONAL. Veiled Hostility is not professional

Here is the best part. If not intentional veiled hostility on Rebecca's part

What the hell was this statement meant to accomplish?
It is not a professional statement

The decisions Rebecca is talking about are not the "decision" to join Tencent, as it was not DE's decision to join Tencent. It was Leyou's decision to sell to Tencent. The decisions she's talking about are DE's creative decisions regarding the game. It's a different way of saying "DE is still in complete control of Warframe, so you're still stuck with DE even if you don't like DE's creative decisions."

Is it still a bit dismissive of people who are critical of DE's creative decisions (particularly those of the past few years)? Yes, it is. But the statement has nothing to do with Tencent nor is it veiled hostility. The :P emoticon is just a way to signify that you're being silly/fun with what you just said. In other words, it's meant to be a humorous statement.

Archived