Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2020 Acquisition News

[DE]Rebecca

Suppose I should add my £0.02, given the hours I've put in...

Firstly, as others have pointed out, DE did not sell directly to Tencent; they sold to someone that Tencent just bought. As such, Tencent are (currently) bound by whatever agreement DE made with Leyou. Tencent are evil, no question there, but they are lawful evil.

Secondly, my experiences with a Tencent take-over have not been the worst corporate gaming experiences I've had. I've played LoL since 2013, about the same time I started Warframe, and every change I have disliked in that game has not come from monetization, but from Riot's insane push of the game towards esports viewership. Has spending money been promoted; yes. Has the game shifted even one iota from pay-to-grind-less to pay-to-win; no. Loot boxes appeared, but contain nothing you cannot get directly for premium currency, and contain nothing game changing* at all. I cannot say anything about Valorant, because I hate Counterstrike-style games, so I haven't played it, but the friends I have that DO like that kind of game seem to enjoy it enough. Nor have I played PoE, because I'm a completionist and the reset mechanic does not jive with that.

*Some skins have known visibility issues, but that pre-dates Tencent and they are slowly being worked on. They aren't intentionally P2W, and most players have 0 issues with them.

I have far worse experiences with Eastern Grind Model MMOs that were ported to the West with insufficient changes (Archeage, Black Desert Online), and of course everyone's old least favourite EA (what they did to Anthem and its' dev team was frankly criminal) than I have had with Tencent. Now, this may not hold true for Tencent customers within the Great Firewall of China, where Tencent is far more in control, but out here in the UK Tencent seem happy to be mildly vampiric overlords, with just the occasional massive PR disaster like Blizzardgate that could potentially be linked to them, whether they were actually involved or not.

What I will say is this: DE, scrutinise VERY carefully any agreement directly with Tencent. They are very literally the Devil; they will tempt you with deals, but will not interfere if you don't allow them to. You may well lose more of us by agreeing to something with Tencent with the best of intentions, than by having to cut or delay future things due to resources. And yes, that last line of Rebecca's post was in poor taste....

I do not like Tencent; I do not trust Tencent, but this take-over need not change Warframe for the worse, and I think DE will keep it that way. Warframe has always been and will always be a passion project; it still feels like one now: always changing, always a little rough around the edges, never afraid to try highly varied new things, even if they aren't guaranteed hits (e.g. archwing). As long as DE feels that way about the game, I doubt they'll let Tencent push them around (at least for Warframe; if Tencent decides to commission a new game with DE, all bets are off for that one). If anything, they're more likely to pull a Petroglyph....

11 minutes ago, (PSN)Regiampiero said:

so much economic ignorance in this thread. Warframe will be just fine people, they've been owned by similarly minded people for the last 4 years. Stop the exaggerations. 

Leyou was Hong Kong based, Tencent is mainland China; those are not like-minded.

But yes, there is a lot of exaggeration going on in this thread....

36 minutes ago, IainG10 said:

Suppose I should add my £0.02, given the hours I've put in...

Firstly, as others have pointed out, DE did not sell directly to Tencent; they sold to someone that Tencent just bought. As such, Tencent are (currently) bound by whatever agreement DE made with Leyou. Tencent are evil, no question there, but they are lawful evil.

Secondly, my experiences with a Tencent take-over have not been the worst corporate gaming experiences I've had. I've played LoL since 2013, about the same time I started Warframe, and every change I have disliked in that game has not come from monetization, but from Riot's insane push of the game towards esports viewership. Has spending money been promoted; yes. Has the game shifted even one iota from pay-to-grind-less to pay-to-win; no. Loot boxes appeared, but contain nothing you cannot get directly for premium currency, and contain nothing game changing* at all. I cannot say anything about Valorant, because I hate Counterstrike-style games, so I haven't played it, but the friends I have that DO like that kind of game seem to enjoy it enough. Nor have I played PoE, because I'm a completionist and the reset mechanic does not jive with that.

*Some skins have known visibility issues, but that pre-dates Tencent and they are slowly being worked on. They aren't intentionally P2W, and most players have 0 issues with them.

I have far worse experiences with Eastern Grind Model MMOs that were ported to the West with insufficient changes (Archeage, Black Desert Online), and of course everyone's old least favourite EA (what they did to Anthem and its' dev team was frankly criminal) than I have had with Tencent. Now, this may not hold true for Tencent customers within the Great Firewall of China, where Tencent is far more in control, but out here in the UK Tencent seem happy to be mildly vampiric overlords, with just the occasional massive PR disaster like Blizzardgate that could potentially be linked to them, whether they were actually involved or not.

What I will say is this: DE, scrutinise VERY carefully any agreement directly with Tencent. They are very literally the Devil; they will tempt you with deals, but will not interfere if you don't allow them to. You may well lose more of us by agreeing to something with Tencent with the best of intentions, than by having to cut or delay future things due to resources. And yes, that last line of Rebecca's post was in poor taste....

I do not like Tencent; I do not trust Tencent, but this take-over need not change Warframe for the worse, and I think DE will keep it that way. Warframe has always been and will always be a passion project; it still feels like one now: always changing, always a little rough around the edges, never afraid to try highly varied new things, even if they aren't guaranteed hits (e.g. archwing). As long as DE feels that way about the game, I doubt they'll let Tencent push them around (at least for Warframe; if Tencent decides to commission a new game with DE, all bets are off for that one). If anything, they're more likely to pull a Petroglyph....

Yes dancing with the devil is never great but as long as you keep a tight grip on his buttocks it can feel pretty good. Just read everything twice and under no circumstances sign anything in blood. 

Honestly though as i said i doubt they will touch the creative side of Warframe like their other investments. They tend to just focus on monetization and pushing it up as far as it can do i.e POE. Most likely we will see small changes over time but nothing that should mess us up too much.

Although my hatered for Tencent is never ending and the suffering caused by their actions regardless. They may be a multiple headed devil and yes not all the heads are straight up evil but it doesn't excuse them. 

Remain wary Tenno we have already had one betrayal we don't need another.

On 2020-12-22 at 6:53 PM, Pizzarugi said:

It will for the Chinese version. Far as I've seen, especially as a very long-time player of Path of Exile which has been owned by Tencent for a while now, they tend not to tamper with games outside of their country.

Yeah, I think the global build is going to be fine. Tencent is only a dystopian cyberpunk megacorporation inside of China.

You say that depending on context it can mean almost anything as supported by my links. Well the context is there in the announcement message, and it's not the emoji.

You want to say that since we're being told that we're stuck with something. It destroys my argument?
Perhaps you mean self defacing?

So they are pointing fun at the fact they are unable to make a decision on their own as mentioned by the other user who pointed out it is the parent company purchased. But tone is not transferred well through the internet. So all we have is the context of the post itself and its contents, and over-all that context does not imply a positive one.

Lets go with this which I posted above earlier. The following statement adds absolutely nothing positive to the announcement.
"For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! "

I honestly don't give that much of a damn that it's Tencent or who's decision it was. I'm only here because of the last sentence in the announcement. You can attempt to change the argument or twist the truth.

It was a completely unnecessary sentence.

Also the Emoji represents a physical action. People get upset when someone "flips them the bird"

Here for the memes
People get upset at pictures
People get upset at actions
People get upset at words
People get upset at light
People get upset at sound

This is nothing but terrible. It's a frog-in-boiling-water situation. They say they'll retain full control, but when Tencent points that gun at their head and threatens to remove the precious Chinese player market, DE will bend to any whim. I've seen this at least a dozen times by now.

Tencent is very close to the CCP and it's authorities. These are the bastards that got Blitzchung banned for saying "Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times."

Watch your coin, Tenno. A percentage of anything you spend here will no doubt go to this corporate ultra-mega giant.

As long as they keep doing what they love and keep showing the passion for this game it should be fine, the investors and just in for the money they don't care about your methods as long as it works for them. (sounds like the index) 😀

Good luck DE

Oh cool, another small step towards their inevitable monopolization of the entire industry! I can't wait for the day when Tencent finally owns every game creator in existence. Because then we can all rest assured that no matter where we spend our money, its going to people that don't deserve it. And personally, I absolutely hate when my money actually pays the creative talent that makes games fun, and not the poor, starving executives at the very top that barely even know what a video game is.

Capitalism really is the best, you guys!

8 hours ago, IainG10 said:

Leyou was Hong Kong based, Tencent is mainland China; those are not like-minded.

But yes, there is a lot of exaggeration going on in this thread....

The chairman of Leyou is a chinese mainlander FYI.

DE still has creative control, but I encourage you DE to NOT listen anything Tencent demands that is against your vision for the game and against the players.

2 hours ago, DrivaMain said:

The chairman of Leyou is a chinese mainlander FYI.

DE still has creative control, but I encourage you DE to NOT listen anything Tencent demands that is against your vision for the game and against the players.

What vision?

My thought is i dont care neither should u or any 1 else

CD project red just prooven u can only care for product and not manufactuerer

Its like we admit google is baf being monopolyst on the market and other search engines should get a chance but how many of u care to use ask.com or yahoo or bing whilw no 1 cares who is the owner we just look at product

There's a whole discussion about this in Announcements, mostly bad thoughts on it, but it's been going on for 5 or 6 pages now, apparently a good number of people are not thrilled about the company or their track record, I don't know enough about the company to give an honest opinion. But I'll cross my fingers for us all, I'm a newer player but a lot of you have been here a long time, and seen the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

23 minutes ago, (PSN)SolarPhantom82 said:

This could bring some much needed focus to the game.  Maybe it's not all Bad. .  Thoughts. ..

one side of me thinks if tencent saw the potential reveneu bumps in every open world releases , since it suits their thing , still sure on that warframe doesnt have much offer to them in general but maybe they thought they could use a bit of extra cash on the side for lawsuits yada yada

Tencent is no different then any other company on planet earth, they all steal data, people who think there is companies that doesn't clearly don't understand how business works today, I don't understand people giving a damn about how much data companies steal while they voluntarily give social media companies (twitter - facebook - youtube ....) their own data, There is no privacy in 2020 :D so why the hell would people have concerns about the tencent deal ? 

Mmm, some. 

Philosophically, I have all sorts of problems with this, but I'm not in the biz either so I don't have to deal with making a living under what's going on. There are very real upsides and downsides, but I'm not privy to any specifics, so...

That brings us to the game itself. 

As a gamer playing the game on a regular basis, I have very little thought about it. If nothing material changes, I'm good. If the game degenerates because of it, I'm out. That's really about all anyone can say regarding WF and what direction it's going in. 

For now, I'm good. 

On 2020-12-23 at 1:11 AM, Tesseract7777 said:

I think a lot of people are seeing something awful that isn't going to actually happen. 

Or at least, nothing that hasn't already happened, and hasn't already been actively happening since the first Chinese buyout. 

I noticed way back then that things have gotten a little more P2W friendly since. More packs available for real money, not just prime vaults. New frames are harder and harder to get, some are even time limited like Hildryn. 

However, I have seen no reason to believe that creative control has ever been taken out of their hands, or that that promise will change. 

TL;DR: 

If you are worried about Warframe devs losing creative control, I think you can relax. 

If you are worried about WF becoming a bit more P2W, that's not an entirely unjustifiable fear, but I think we have already seen that creep up slightly over the years, I don't expect the creep to accelerate to any serious degree, and it is still by far, even after all that creep upward, one of the best in existence when it comes to being able to play and get what you want without spending money. 

So I think WF has many great years to come. 

hildryn is time limited? lol

Archived