Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2020 Acquisition News

[DE]Rebecca

12 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

And waht we can do to stop that?

Activism. Folk journalism. Going into politics.

Or at the very least, discuss. Bring the issues into focus. Point out the work of Assange and Snowden, and let people decide which rabbit holes to dive into. Every subject access point helps.

Apathy on the other hand changes nothing.

9 minutes ago, Yrkul said:

Activism. Folk journalism. Going into politics.

Or at the very least, discuss. Bring the issues into focus. Point out the work of Assange and Snowden, and let people decide which rabbit holes to dive into. Every subject access point helps.

Apathy on the other hand changes nothing.

I've been doing that for literal years to no result. The only different thing is my own misery when I do know I support horrid things without even wanting to do it.

Kinda like Lord Byron said:

"Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life."

A long time ago I considered went full offline because I couldn't fight borderline suicidal thoughts based on that misery, but I've learned to cope with those feelings through the years...

(In fact, I don't even want to have kids for the sole reason that whis world is corrupted to the roots and I don't want to be a part of more suffering of an innocent human being).

15 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

I've been doing that for literal years to no result. The only different thing is my own misery when I do know I support horrid things without even wanting to do it.

Kinda like Lord Byron said:

"Sorrow is knowledge, those that know the most must mourn the deepest, the tree of knowledge is not the tree of life."

A long time ago I considered went full offline because I couldn't fight borderline suicidal thoughts based on that misery, but I've learned to cope with those feelings through the years...

(In fact, I don't even want to have kids for the sole reason that whis world is corrupted to the roots and I don't want to be a part of more suffering of an innocent human being).

It would be fascinating if Tencent starts putting surveillance on anyone that chooses the Steel Meridian syndicate. As long as DE continues to support human rights and continues to include elements of granting refugee status and of freedom from debt and slavery in their story telling, that's all I can ask for.

On 2020-12-22 at 6:31 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Tenno!

Depending how long you’ve been around these parts, you may remember we had some acquisition news to share in 2014 and 2016.

Years have gone by, Warframe has grown and grown, and as 2020 wraps up we have another round of Acquisition news to share.

Digital Extremes (that’s us) is now owned by Tencent. We’re joining the ranks of some of our favourite developers, too! We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all.

Full news can be read here: https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/digital-extremes-partners-with-tencent

For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! 

Sad....cheers & jeers, I will miss this community.... I have issues with Tencent's poor ethics towards my people. It was not a wasted investment..... Warframe's founders and Dev's made a gamers game.

13 часов назад, CorvusTheHeretic сказал:

It's not the data most people are worried about.

Chinese laws requre that to operate in China, a chinese company must have a significant share in the operating company's stock, which will allow them to excert certain degree of control over it.  With these laws Chinese government uses Tencent and few other companies like it as a proxy to own a share of any company that operates on their territory, as a bonus to the usual taxation, and they use that share to excert as much control over the media that is available in their country as possible. They are a totalitarian regime that commits literal genocide as you read this message. Partaking in the deals with Tencent means literally giving money to the totalitarists. From any money you spend on Warframe now, part goes to Chinese government, even if transaction happened outside of China's jurisdiction.

This is same reason people oppose Epic Game Store, as Epic now is a 40% chinese company, since 40% of them was acquired by Tencent.

The real thing is... Why do you care about people in other country... If they don’t care themselves? Like if it’s so scared kraken, why not go make revolution, like people always were doing in my country (not that it really helped change things, but still, lol). Anyway China do NOTHING to ME, meanwhile west and mostly AMERICA literally DO things to me. It supports one of the most corrupted government in the world, leading my country to the abyss with no future on some purpose. Why should I care about asian killing asian (if they are okay with it) if I’m under pressure myself now, and nobody cares about me? It’s cool to not live in third world and think about problems in third world, people in west should really stop sticking their nose in other countries business.

27 minutes ago, SpiritTeA said:

The real thing is... Why do you care about people in other country... If they don’t care themselves? Like if it’s so scared kraken, why not go make revolution, like people always were doing in my country (not that it really helped change things, but still, lol). Anyway China do NOTHING to ME, meanwhile west and mostly AMERICA literally DO things to me. It supports one of the most corrupted government in the world, leading my country to the abyss with no future on some purpose. Why should I care about asian killing asian (if they are okay with it) if I’m under pressure myself now, and nobody cares about me? It’s cool to not live in third world and think about problems in third world, people in west should really stop sticking their nose in other countries business.

Because many of us aren't Apathetic/Racists and care about human lives even if their skin isn't the same as our own.

On 2020-12-22 at 4:31 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Tenno!

Depending how long you’ve been around these parts, you may remember we had some acquisition news to share in 2014 and 2016.

Years have gone by, Warframe has grown and grown, and as 2020 wraps up we have another round of Acquisition news to share.

Digital Extremes (that’s us) is now owned by Tencent. We’re joining the ranks of some of our favourite developers, too! We will maintain our independence and vision for Warframe throughout it all.

Full news can be read here: https://www.digitalextremes.com/news/digital-extremes-partners-with-tencent

For better or worse, you’re still stuck with our decisions :P! 

I really think congratulations are in order here.

CONGRATS!

The news of the deal being "finalized,"  has seemed like waiting for the other shoe to drop while waiting to inhale (air), for nearly five months now.

Happy New Year!

On 2020-12-28 at 6:00 PM, CorvusTheHeretic said:

It's not the data most people are worried about.

Chinese laws requre that to operate in China, a chinese company must have a significant share in the operating company's stock, which will allow them to excert certain degree of control over it.  With these laws Chinese government uses Tencent and few other companies like it as a proxy to own a share of any company that operates on their territory, as a bonus to the usual taxation, and they use that share to excert as much control over the media that is available in their country as possible. They are a totalitarian regime that commits literal genocide as you read this message. Partaking in the deals with Tencent means literally giving money to the totalitarists. From any money you spend on Warframe now, part goes to Chinese government, even if transaction happened outside of China's jurisdiction.

This is same reason people oppose Epic Game Store, as Epic now is a 40% chinese company, since 40% of them was acquired by Tencent.

If that's the case. be prepared to divest in a lot of things including your favorite sports teams, games and other activities because a lot of things these days are invested by authoritarian regimes through shell companies and national investment arms.  

Saw this coming. Huge shame. Would love to keep monetarily supporting DE, but not if even 1 cent of that cash goes towards Tencent.

The worry at first was creative freedom, but after the past year+ the real worry now is monetarily supporting companies that support or are part-owned by the CCP. I don't know about you, but I don't want to back anything with ties to the suppression of freedom of speech, violation of multiple human rights laws, and operates literal modern day concentration camps.

On 2020-12-28 at 6:51 PM, vanaukas said:

Dude; I also pay for stuff made in the USA or Israel, if doesn't ring-a-bell on your head I can talk about a lot of proxy wars for oil and the literal genocide of Palestine right now :). I mean, if your worry is "china is a totalitarian goverment", at least they aren't literally bombing innocent people.

no, they just literally enslave them, harvest their organs, force them into ww2 style concentration camps etc, but hey nobody cares when it doesnt affect them directly.

On 2020-12-30 at 4:49 AM, Numerikuu said:

Saw this coming. Huge shame. Would love to keep monetarily supporting DE, but not if even 1 cent of that cash goes towards Tencent.

The worry at first was creative freedom, but after the past year+ the real worry now is monetarily supporting companies that support or are part-owned by the CCP. I don't know about you, but I don't want to back anything with ties to the suppression of freedom of speech, violation of multiple human rights laws, and operates literal modern day concentration camps.

100% agree.

9 hours ago, Methanoid said:

no, they just literally enslave them, harvest their organs, force them into ww2 style concentration camps etc, but hey nobody cares when it doesnt affect them directly.

Russia (invaded another country and annexed it, deployed chemical weapons on foreign soil against internal dissidents), insert Emirates/kingdoms/Countries in the ME here (most of the 9/11 conspirators were from 'allied' nations as were a number within ISIS), any number of African/South American countries (Zimbabwe, South Africa, Venezuela, Mexico), hell even Australia - those off shore detention centers for migrants aren't just for show and have a look at its activities in S.E Asia. Some it is down right colonial. My point - China isn't the only bad actor out there but we seem to have amnesia when those bad actors happen to be our 'friends'. 

11 hours ago, Methanoid said:

1 hour ago, Kidkilla said:

Russia (invaded another country and annexed it, deployed chemical weapons on foreign soil against internal dissidents), insert Emirates/kingdoms/Countries in the ME here (most of the 9/11 conspirators were from 'allied' nations as were a number within ISIS), any number of African/South American countries (Zimbabwe, South Africa, Venezuela, Mexico), hell even Australia - those off shore detention centers for migrants aren't just for show and have a look at its activities in S.E Asia. Some it is down right colonial. My point - China isn't the only bad actor out there but we seem to have amnesia when those bad actors happen to be our 'friends'. 

The US also has a really big historical record on experimenting on innocent human beings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study (just to give one example).

It baffles me how "americans" (implying america is a country lmfao) deliberately ignores that stuff and points out to China for doing literally the same S#&$. Living in a country where the US has operated doign coups and destroying the whole ecosystem just makes me wanna puke. But heyyy, china baaad. US, China, Russia and every single country that has that stupid desire for power over other countries are the whole problem, but it's always mroe easy looking for the scapegoat.

"But muh data"!!! Same #*!%ing data CIA tried to collect even from notepad ++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/v7.3.3/

IDGAF about hypocrites that disguises their true intentions behind the "human right advocate" masquerade.

1 hour ago, vanaukas said:

The US also has a really big historical record on experimenting on innocent human beings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_Syphilis_Study (just to give one example).

It baffles me how "americans" (implying america is a country lmfao) deliberately ignores that stuff and points out to China for doing literally the same S#&$. Living in a country where the US has operated doign coups and destroying the whole ecosystem just makes me wanna puke. But heyyy, china baaad. US, China, Russia and every single country that has that stupid desire for power over other countries are the whole problem, but it's always mroe easy looking for the scapegoat.

"But muh data"!!! Same #*!%ing data CIA tried to collect even from notepad ++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/v7.3.3/

IDGAF about hypocrites that disguises their true intentions behind the "human right advocate" masquerade.

Sounds like if Hitler brought the game.  You would beem telling the player base that the Nazi's ant so bad. ..

44 minutes ago, (PSN)SolarPhantom82 said:

Sounds like if Hitler brought the game.  You would beem telling the player base that the Nazi's ant so bad. ..

Sounds more like he's pointing out the hypocrisy of beating up one country when ethically, they're all suspect. 

I'm certainly not blind to the fact my country does some shady stuff to keep ahead of the wolves, but I'm ok with that. 

1 hour ago, (PSN)SolarPhantom82 said:

Nah, I would be tellign that they arethe same scum as the US or any other "super power". I don't like being an hypocrite that talks about "human rights" just to point out a single country for the mistakes that every "super power" does.

I don't fall for hypocrite meme material, supporting a game or not won't change the power play of those countries, doing partialized boycotts won't change things. Direct action is what change things, but it's more easy and safe being vocal on the internet and playing the victim's card on "censorship" than doing stuff IRL.

25 minutes ago, vanaukas said:

That is a whole lot of "whataboutism", which is a fallacy. The actions of a second antagonist does not make the actions of the first antagonist any less despicable. But by all means, let all sins come into the light.

You also have numerous wrongful assumptions:

1: You conflate a government with its people and large commercial actors in general. In most countries with western values, these are seperate entities. If proper measures are in place, actions like corruption, undue influence or other crimes against the populus or external entities will result in removal of officials and punitive actions against aggressors. In the case of the CCP, however, their system give on one hand free reign to market forces, and on the other hand the CCP have the ultimate say in any actions that company takes, inside China or outside. Their government and socio-cultural structure is nothing like in your home country, The US, the EU or the scandinavian countries. And that brings me to another important point. The chinese as a people are NOT to be blamed for the Uighur camps, the Crapple factory with suicide nets, or the current pandemic. Your generalizations only promote a merging of country and people into a single entity, which may make things easier to fit into your world view, but ultimately only promotes a prejudgemental attitude.

2: You seem oblivious as to why the actions of the CCP is of any concern to us. The reason why it is our concern is, that the influence of the CCP through its proxies in commercial actors are active all over the western world as well as a vast amount of the rest of the world. This impacts trade and economic balances, socio-economic patterns, military influence, cultural expression and overall discourse. It essentially creates leverage, that can be used to shape general perception of the world, steer geopolitical actions/reactions to varying degrees, and silence the voices of those critical of the regime. Recently, a dataleak showed influence reaching even deeper. Furthermore, there is an instinct called empathy, and it can vary from a gesture to elevate ones percieved moral worth, to a pathologic drive to fight for the rights and well being of anyone they deem wronged. However, most of us simply don't want to see other people suffer, and at least have a fair chance in life. That's why we care.

3: You've been generalizing participants in this discussion heavily, and been judging people in a rather rash and partisan manner. You know nothing about any of us, and just assume waving the sins of America around will make our arguments less valid. It is simply a red herring, another fallacy. A lot of us aren't even american or canadian. So why the hate? It is clear, that you hate the US, but again, the american people, and the american participants in this discussion are most likely not the ones wrecking your country. You're even lowering yourself to calling people here "scum". Once you start using derogative language, you're telling us, that you've run out of arguments.

On top of that, what do you know about, what any of us do in these matters? There are alternatives to chinese and american manufacture. I also buy second-hand and refurbished parts, get hand-me-downs and repair myself. Clothing I buy from local manufacture, or made in Sweden or Germany. I buy things that last, and patch, darn and repair to extend use by an order of magnitude. It is possible to avoid large scale consumerism, buy ethically sound, and minimize your eco-footprint without going all-out Greta Thunberg and go back to the stoneage. And you have not an inkling about my professional, social or political engagements. So don't make your baseless assumptions, just so you can savour that cathartic indignation.

4: You seem to be of the "all or nothing" mindset. Well, guess what. Most initiatives are done in increments, through compromize, over longer time. Just because things aren't happening here and now, doesn't mean there's nothing left to do, but crawl into a corner and pull out the small violin to play "Woe is me". A lot of women's, ethnic and LGBT rights movements fought for equality for decades upon decades, and it can still be debated, whether that goal is or is not still reached. But none of them got where they are now through apathy. They got there through perseverence, taking one step at a time.

So perhaps you should put down your Byron, and read some Musashi, Sun Tzu and Lin Yutang.

We clearly see we're in 2020/2021 now and no longer in 2013 with everybody crying over fresh news shouting this is bad blablabla.

Parnerships & ownership aren't new on the game, and so far the game only got better, unless you're somebody talking about 2013 era while you weren't even here, because when I remind 2013 and 2020, I can only tell the game got better, unlike some other games like LoL.

Warframe now being owned by the company that also owns Fortnite / Clash of series / LoL won't make kids and stuff come on the game (spoiler alert : there's way more kids in the game than you're probably expecting atm) and ruin everything with dances and stuff like that.

If it means that DE will now have more money to invest to hire people / Look for new technologies (Maybe Cross-save finally ?) / Upgrade their graphic engine and stuff like that, then I don't really care about who's piloting the ship, and it should be the same for you, first they could have simply not told you a thing and you wouldn't be there crying over it, secondly your cries won't change anything, the cries of a thousand people won't change anything when there are millions on the table.

So quit crying for nothing as you like to do, because so far as I remember, I can't recall people going on forum to cry over stuff like that 7 years ago, it looks like you became the guys you always wanted to avoid that actually are on games you dislike owned by tencent, so have an Happy New Year, and wait for results instead of trying to predict an uncertain future.

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Ze_LoBoToMiZeUr said:

We clearly see we're in 2020/2021 now and no longer in 2013 with everybody crying over fresh news shouting this is bad blablabla.

Parnerships & ownership aren't new on the game, and so far the game only got better, unless you're somebody talking about 2013 era while you weren't even here, because when I remind 2013 and 2020, I can only tell the game got better, unlike some other games like LoL.

Warframe now being owned by the company that also owns Fortnite / Clash of series / LoL won't make kids and stuff come on the game (spoiler alert : there's way more kids in the game than you're probably expecting atm) and ruin everything with dances and stuff like that.

If it means that DE will now have more money to invest to hire people / Look for new technologies (Maybe Cross-save finally ?) / Upgrade their graphic engine and stuff like that, then I don't really care about who's piloting the ship, and it should be the same for you, first they could have simply not told you a thing and you wouldn't be there crying over it, secondly your cries won't change anything, the cries of a thousand people won't change anything when there are millions on the table.

So quit crying for nothing as you like to do, because so far as I remember, I can't recall people going on forum to cry over stuff like that 7 years ago, it looks like you became the guys you always wanted to avoid that actually are on games you dislike owned by tencent, so have an Happy New Year, and wait for results instead of trying to predict an uncertain future.

This makes sense. Right on!

Archived