Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Small shout-out to those watching the backs of players experiencing burn-out

(NSW)Greybones

Just wanted to give kudos to those in the community who help convince players experiencing self-admitted burn-out to take a break. Warframe can be a pretty intense time-sink if one isn’t careful (like many games, and I feel you, fellow players), and the urge to live and breathe the game constantly and for a while may eventually have an impact on player enjoyment.

So when someone posts about how they’re experiencing burnout and are deciding between moving on or not, it’s nice to see others watching out for the OP’s state of mind and easing them along towards a break with phrases like “It’s here if you want to play again later” or “Don’t worry about it” (paraphrasing) and basically seeming to remove the stigma surrounding moving on once someone’s had their fill.

And being unable to speak for the devs making a game, I’d still be inclined to think they’d be unhappy at the thought of someone playing until it becomes a problem, so it feels like we all win if we watch out for each other 🍻

2 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

Did a youtuber quit recently or you just had this on your mind?

Just thinkin’ about it. Saw a burnout post a few days ago and many of the responses were pretty supportive. And it’s not like it’s tremendously uncommon to experience burnout.

I know I’d personally feel pretty bad if I was told to not let the door hit me on the way out after admitting that I played way too much in too short of time and was seeking some guidance from a community sharing in a thing that I liked.

I guess it’s also doubly nice to see empathy and care on the internet.

1 minute ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Just thinkin’ about it. Saw a burnout post a few days ago and many of the responses were pretty supportive. And it’s not like it’s tremendously uncommon to experience burnout.

I know I’d personally feel pretty bad if I was told to not let the door hit me on the way out after admitting that I played way too much in too short of time and was seeking some guidance from a community sharing in a thing that I liked.

I guess it’s also doubly nice to see empathy and care on the internet.

I see. Yeah usually as long as someone is not just ranting about how crap the game is usually that's the kinda response you can expect.

Thankfully the warframe community is not actually that toxic.

Honestly a lot of people are set to play games like this almost as a job I think it's strange for them to know they can take a break that Warframe isn't nearly as demanding of your time at the end of the day. It has time sinks but it never DEMANDS your time and it's a very different feeling realizing that like yeah you really can just come back later since everything rotates around and comes back on around. I myself haven't played in months and it's not that I dislike the game it's that I just know it'll be here when I do actually feel like coming back. Maybe I won't at the end of the day with new games coming and just having so limited time as it is nowadays but it's appreciated and easily overlooked by so many people.

6 minutes ago, ReddyDisco said:

game addiction is true enough

After some thinking, I get where you’re coming from, though; the OP was pretty dry and used phrases like “watch out for each other”.

Not usually how I talk, but I think unintentionally my respect for any form of addiction (and the ways strangers can help) bled through a little into a rather no-nonsense show of support post :P

I manage to play through my burn out since i run my own clan so i gotta be on and available for whoever is on that needs a hand.

but i do play other games and i do get party invites on PSN to talk or play.

i've been clan leader on PSN for 7 years now and one new member that joined asked me if i considered quitting/retiring from running my clan.

i answered yes and no because i paid real money/plat for most of the clan and i do tennobaum every year with whoever is playing and for me to quit is not really something i'd do.

51 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Just wanted to give kudos to those in the community who help convince players experiencing self-admitted burn-out to take a break. Warframe can be a pretty intense time-sink if one isn’t careful (like many games, and I feel you, fellow players), and the urge to live and breathe the game constantly and for a while may eventually have an impact on player enjoyment.

So when someone posts about how they’re experiencing burnout and are deciding between moving on or not, it’s nice to see others watching out for the OP’s state of mind and easing them along towards a break with phrases like “It’s here if you want to play again later” or “Don’t worry about it” (paraphrasing) and basically seeming to remove the stigma surrounding moving on once someone’s had their fill.

And being unable to speak for the devs making a game, I’d still be inclined to think they’d be unhappy at the thought of someone playing until it becomes a problem, so it feels like we all win if we watch out for each other 🍻

I've been on both sides of the response column when it comes to burnout posters. If it's a full on "DE sucks" rant, I do try to give it a full read to understand if the player is truly addicted or on an "I heard this from a youtuber" rant. Burnout is real and Warframe's unique gameplay and customization options are often too good to let go. I've had several burnout points in my six years of playing but I was aware that I've overplayed the game. Helping other players realize that is awesome and I applaud you@(NSW)Greybones for addressing it.

1 hour ago, (PSN)Yes-Man-Kablaam said:

Honestly a lot of people are set to play games like this almost as a job I think it's strange for them to know they can take a break that Warframe isn't nearly as demanding of your time at the end of the day. It has time sinks but it never DEMANDS your time and it's a very different feeling realizing that like yeah you really can just come back later since everything rotates around and comes back on around. I myself haven't played in months and it's not that I dislike the game it's that I just know it'll be here when I do actually feel like coming back. Maybe I won't at the end of the day with new games coming and just having so limited time as it is nowadays but it's appreciated and easily overlooked by so many people.

you leaving silently is fine , but making that as a model on how we shouldnt crititque DE for their failure is not .

Never a bad idea to take breaks and actually re-evaluate your situation with the game. Many people with years and thousands of hours in a game will look at it with solar-eclipse shades and not rose tinted goggles. The game may look lacking, but if you only realize that after thousands of hours logic would tell you that so isnt the case. I've been there myself, since DaoC and forward when it comes to persistant or "gaas" games. When I feel that the game updates arent giving me what I seek I tend to take breaks and play other games. It often makes me realize how good the other game actually was and see the reasons why I played for such long periods.

Right now I'm on a semi-break in WF. I'm logging on, getting some forma recipe, start the crafting and maybe do some Steel Path if I need it for the weekly reward. I'm kinda just waiting for the RJ update to come, so dont wanna burn myself out on grinding small things I have left to do. I've got my loadouts ready and all that, so right now it is about mastery grinding or chasing kuva, so I decided that I'll rather spend a couple of hundred hours in Witcher 3 since I finaly picked it up during the halloween sale on Steam.

35 minutes ago, killerJoke66 said:

you leaving silently is fine , but making that as a model on how we shouldnt crititque DE for their failure is not .

That is an extremely interesting use of words. Care to elaborate where exactly they've failed?

2 hours ago, GEN-Son_17 said:

I've been on both sides of the response column when it comes to burnout posters. If it's a full on "DE sucks" rant, I do try to give it a full read to understand if the player is truly addicted or on an "I heard this from a youtuber" rant. Burnout is real and Warframe's unique gameplay and customization options are often too good to let go. I've had several burnout points in my six years of playing but I was aware that I've overplayed the game. Helping other players realize that is awesome and I applaud you@(NSW)Greybones for addressing it.

I've burned out on Warframe many times. I don't get mad at the Devs, I just take a break. 

I think many are influenced by youtubers though. They listen to these videos and start thinking "I AM the victim here. These devs are horrible people"

2 hours ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

Odd. Never experienced one, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are similar themes.

Burnout could be considered the result of a form of addiction, no?

Playing a lot isn't a sign of addiction. Some people have more free time than others, while having a rather narrow set of interests. You can get burnt out even with moderate play anyways, the issue mainly comes down to playing just 1 single game. This isn't an issue with just games, doing 1 activity only, with nothing else, causes the same problem. It isn't any different to how people eventually get tired of their job, they're doing the same thing up to 8+ hours a day for 5+ days a week.

30 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

I've burned out on Warframe many times. I don't get mad at the Devs, I just take a break. 

I think many are influenced by youtubers though. They listen to these videos and start thinking "I AM the victim here. These devs are horrible people"

ah yea the youtube shame again , as if people cant form their own opinions and just bandwagoning from youtube for 3+ years , gotcha . 

*sneezes uh must be the youtube*

15 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

And the downvote nonsense for arcana, I'm still trying to find out what's so horrible about the update since it's console launch. 

Test cluster left feedback to better the update before launch, Arcana launched and some (maybe most) of the cluster's feedbacks felt ignored.

2 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

I mean, i feel ignored by Lady Gaga not answering to my tweets. But is she really specifically ignoring me?

Since I wasn't part of the cluster and can only recall feedback from post-launch threads, when the clusters had majority opinion/feedback about "x" part and that wasn't reflected on the update they felt their feedback was pointless and didn't matter.

2 hours ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

I mean, i feel ignored by Lady Gaga not answering to my tweets. But is she really specifically ignoring me?

whats the point of a test cluster when you are just going to ignore the points people agreed on the major ? 

and then you see peoples eyes getting opened with the comments telling that theyre dissapointed , and im be like .. this was the case for couple of years at least you guys just didnt choose to see it , with the test cluster their overtly complacency and laziness just got publical thats it.

3 hours ago, killerJoke66 said:

ah yea the youtube shame again , as if people cant form their own opinions and just bandwagoning from youtube for 3+ years , gotcha . 

You try too hard my guy. Yes, there are youtubers who have overplayed the game and yes there are people who latch onto their rhetoric. This forum does a great job of identifying which youtuber a poster is motivated by. We are never, ever supposed to just allow people to openly attack (or critique) anyone simply because they are "expressing their opinions". That also requires checks and balances...more so. 1000s of hours of playing the same game can result in overly biased and emotional rhetoric. That rhetoric can be riddled with lies and misleading context. Again, America is experiencing the rotten fruits of that now. Unfortunately, some youtubers haven't accepted that. 

3 hours ago, killerJoke66 said:

Yes. Remember when the forums had a melt down over eximus enemies being immune with weak points? It really wasn't that serious until some youtubers ranted about it, and the forums went into an uproar. A year later we get glasses enemies and the game didn't die and the devs didn't do it because they hated fun. 

That's one of many examples. This whole "content island" trend is also making an issue out of a non-issue. We were all fine with not having content being forced on us, until a YouTuber decides "everything should connect or it's a "content island" now so of a sudden it's a bad word and the game is terribly designed... After 1000+hours. 

4 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

Playing a lot isn't a sign of addiction. Some people have more free time than others, while having a rather narrow set of interests. You can get burnt out even with moderate play anyways, the issue mainly comes down to playing just 1 single game. This isn't an issue with just games, doing 1 activity only, with nothing else, causes the same problem. It isn't any different to how people eventually get tired of their job, they're doing the same thing up to 8+ hours a day for 5+ days a week.

There is some truth to this post. I’d be inclined to edit the original post you’re responding to and change it to “<Sometimes> burnout can be considered yada yada”. Might do that if it comes up again (though I do mildly hesitate at the thought of likening the choice of playing a game to the sometimes necessity of having a job, but that starts getting pretty tangental to this topic :P)

For those posting on the forums, looking for some help deciding whether to stay on or head off after experiencing burnout in this game, it’s nice to see responses that are aimed at making someone feel like taking a break is an absolutely valid choice with no judgement involved (how many of us have been there and done that, after all?)

15 hours ago, NekroArts said:

Since I wasn't part of the cluster and can only recall feedback from post-launch threads, when the clusters had majority opinion/feedback about "x" part and that wasn't reflected on the update they felt their feedback was pointless and didn't matter.

Did it never occur to you/them that the test cluster is rediculously small and cant really provide data to act on compared to live? I mean, we are talking about a couple of hundred players total versus a couple of million on live. Granted, Arcana had and still has some issues that shouldnt have been a thing at release even, like the bounty pacing which thankfully got changed, aswell as the arcanes the mode has to offer are total trash. Not that the feedback regarding arcanes was any good, since all we really saw was "moar damage!" being demanded, with few actually bringing up the very out of place interaction for primary weapons, like the on-kill zone ending up at the killed target, which would fit more on some Zaw arcanes where you already are in melee range.

And listening to the WF community cannot be easy, since the same people that want "challening" content are often also the same that rage whenever a nerf happens or when there is talk about removing the silly AoE we have access to. How the heck do you please people that want it all when one must make way for the other in reality?

Archived