Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aborted mission - do I really need to see the 'Mission Failed' screen?

(PSN)crashteddy03

I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this...

You load into a mission only to realise that you've brought the wrong loadout. So you abort the mission and wait for the loading screen to finish, to only then be presented with an unskippable and slow revealing 'Mission Failed' screen! Why did I need to see that? I didn't fail, I quit, there's a difference! <rant over>

I can think of three ways this could be handled better...

1. Just load back to the Orbiter if the mission was aborted. There's no need to see this screen. I know what I've given up and I don't need to be reminded.
  2. If you must show the 'Mission Failed' screen then do so during the loading sequence rather than waiting for the loading sequence to finish. This already happens with the 'Mission Success' screen.
  3. If the above two options aren't viable, could we at least have the option to exit out of the screen without waiting for it to slowly display the 'Mission Failed' message. This might not seem like much of a change, but when all you want to do is change your loadout and get back in to missions, that few seconds is an unnecessary frustration.

Thanks again for all your hard work this year!

5 minutes ago, (PSN)crashteddy03 said:

You load into a mission only to realise that you've brought the wrong loadout.

So you did fail.

6 minutes ago, (PSN)crashteddy03 said:

I didn't fail, I quit

See above.  And nobody likes a quitter, son / girl / [ or write in preferred vaguely condescending  gender designation here ] .

The only thing to do is put on your big void demon pants and stop failquitting.  Or accept the agonizingly slow MISSION FAILED screen you totally, totally earned.  Maybe make a New Years resolution out of this!

check it out dr steve brule GIF

hace 40 minutos, Tiltskillet dijo:

So you did fail.

See above.  And nobody likes a quitter, son / girl / [ or write in preferred vaguely condescending  gender designation here ] .

The only thing to do is put on your big void demon pants and stop failquitting.  Or accept the agonizingly slow MISSION FAILED screen you totally, totally earned.  Maybe make a New Years resolution out of this!

check it out dr steve brule GIF

Not sure if you're trolling or if you're this dense

Fashionframe score screen dictates that you must see your impressively decorated frames in the background regardless of mission failure/success. And yes, the game wants to shove "Mission: Failed" in your face for 5 extra seconds with all controls disabled... just like it insists you always press Esc/OK to begin a mission faster (Esc/OK cancels landing craft animation with follow-up jumping through roof vent animation... perform Esc/OK sequence twice in a row for relays).

I do really love to see have that "Mission: Failed" screen shoved in my face for 5 extra seconds for a total mission time of 10 seconds if I accidentally started the mission in normal mode, but intended Steel Path. Or if I accidentally started the mission in Steel Path mode, but intended normal mode. Or if a Synthesis target just happens to not be on the node I tried... "Mission: Failed!" for 5 extra seconds to make sure I'm extra aware that I failed the mission. And my frame looks great in the background!

EDIT: It's mostly a solo mode problem... I don't carelessly insta-quit if multiple players end up in my game if I had it set to public (which is rare these days owing to my so-so Wi-Fi). Who knows, I might be the host! Host migrations are no fun for the other players... I just suck it up and finish the mission fast and set it back to solo mode! But yes... in solo mode... even for the wrong loadouts like OP = insta-quit.

Aborting a mission technically is a failure, if you think about it. You've been assigned to kill a bunch of dudes/one dude/capture a dude/protect a dude/protect a frozen dude, but you pulled the plug early before the objective was completed. As such, you have abandoned the mission, causing it to ultimately fail.

This is especially annoying when the reason you're back in your orbiter is you had to quit due to one of the numerous bugs.  I was hunting a mod I didn't have so I was running the Kela fight, which they've recently broken.  Trying to skip one of the half dozen cut scenes that you have to go through to get into the fight causes the central platform to just not exist anymore, which makes the fight completely unfinishable and you HAVE to abort.  Just like you have to abort when you get hard stuck somewhere that /unstuck doesn't fix, or when some other mission progression stopping bug hits.  

I did not fail, and yet here the game is showing me an unskippable "you failed" screen when it's actually DE that failed.  

Combine this with the fact that if Host Migration fails and you end up back in your orbiter, the same unskippable mission summary screen pops up. 

Completing a Railjack mission is going to put the same unskippable BS up multiple times.  It doesn't always do it but I've had it pop up after mission completion, again upon arrival at the dojo (TF you think I closed it for?  Why are you putting it back up?) and then AGAIN when I hit my orbiter.  

Some of you are being extremely obtuse.  OP isn't just upset that it's telling them they failed (though it is a minor annoyance when you did not actually fail in the many circumstances I've pointed out.  Pretty sure I've actually failed less than 10 missions in this game in like 2300 hours.  Most of my "failures" have been "oh good, the stalker teleported me into a room with no exit and now I have to abort" type of bugs.) I'm fairly certain that OP is irritated by the compounding factor of the constant unskippable BS mission summary screen that pops up when you're already irritated.  I should not be able to hit the cancel button 30 times before the screen pisses off.

On top of all the other bugs that the mission summary screen introduced (I'm betting the fact that credit caches don't count is a thing that happened with the EOM UI changes.) the fact that it's unskippable while also being a totally pointless change that wasted their time and resources is incredibly bothersome to me.

I'm amazed at the number of replies to this. Ignoring the obvious troll for now...

5 hours ago, nslay said:

It's mostly a solo mode problem... I don't carelessly insta-quit if multiple players end up in my game if I had it set to public (which is rare these days owing to my so-so Wi-Fi). Who knows, I might be the host! Host migrations are no fun for the other players... I just suck it up and finish the mission fast and set it back to solo mode! But yes... in solo mode... even for the wrong loadouts like OP = insta-quit.

Totally agree. If I'm hosting a public match I won't quit, even with a crap loadout. Host migrations aren't fun for anyone. (sorry team, but I'll do my best with my archgun instead!) Mostly this happens when I'm playing solo and switching between doing relics and doing Steel Path and I forget to change my loadouts.

4 hours ago, Pizzarugi said:

Aborting a mission technically is a failure, if you think about it.

Yes, I can see your point. My issue is more that I can't skip the screen. I was irritated when I wrote the original post and needed to rant and that's what I picked on.

4 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

This is especially annoying when the reason you're back in your orbiter is you had to quit due to one of the numerous bugs.

You know I hadn't even considered this. I've had a few occasions now where I've joined a public match and appeared within the walls, unable to move and "/unstuck" does nothing. The only option is to abort the mission and wait for the screens...

I can't say that I'm particularly fond of the new EOM UI. I'd be more than happy to have an option to switch back to the old one.

50 minutes ago, B4HEK said:

I can assume that part of this post is about feelings which is brought by "mission failed" screen...

Easy solution: replace it with "mission aborted" screen..

Correct me if i`m wrong.

That part of the post was just me venting my frustration. But yes, a "Mission Aborted" screen would be fine... as long as I could quickly skip or exit it.

2 hours ago, (PSN)crashteddy03 said:

I can't say that I'm particularly fond of the new EOM UI. I'd be more than happy to have an option to switch back to the old one.

If they fixed all the issues with it I wouldn't care so much that they changed it.  But right now that summary screen doesn't show you accurate info on your leveling progress, doesn't show progress at all while in a mech, has that stupid unskippable animation, and whoever input the order for what counts as "important" has obviously never played the game before.

11 hours ago, nslay said:

EDIT: It's mostly a solo mode problem... I don't carelessly insta-quit if multiple players end up in my game if I had it set to public (which is rare these days owing to my so-so Wi-Fi). Who knows, I might be the host! Host migrations are no fun for the other players... I just suck it up and finish the mission fast and set it back to solo mode! But yes... in solo mode... even for the wrong loadouts like OP = insta-quit.

Yeah, when I'm trading I forget to switch from/to public/private all the time. I don't play public because I know it won't work in most cases and even it somehow worked there would be some problems (e.g. people have to wait for me to get all reactant when they are almost done).
I wish we could quit in loading screen because we don't have a choice before (in lots of time it's insta-loading).

And in solo, it depends if the mission is important or just "another argon sortie" that I can beat with almost anything. But if I don't have proper config (or something else) "fail screen" is little annoying.

3 hours ago, Xikto said:

I can see the point of it existing but making it half as long would probably be a good idea.

I don't think mission failure/success screens should exist for missions that are less than something very small like 20 seconds in total time. Most of the time, players leaving missions is almost certainly because of something like:

• Wrong loadout/weapons/frame/pet/build
  • Wrong syndicate sigil
  • Wrong mode (Steel Path or normal)
  • No synthesis target
  • Don't like a team member's gear (usually something like Saryn, Mesa, Ignis, Amprex, Staticor, Catchmoon, Bramma, <insert other nuke/blinding weapons/frames>).

These players leave pretty quickly!

More uncommonly, bugs are causes of quit missions or aborted bounties.

Legitimate quit/failures are usually realistically due to something like ([almost] indicates a prematurely quit mission):

• Rescue target is dying but alarm has been pulled and doors are all locked and no console is nearby.
  • You [almost] exhausted your time trying to rescue the target from their cell
  • Life support [almost] reaches 0%.
  • You didn't hold a majority of the towers and the enemy [almost] reached 100%.
  • Spy vault data was [almost] destroyed.
  • You failed 3/4 Conduits and you [almost] didn't kill the last Demolyst.

And these are all > 20 seconds in length and all of them are representative of failed missions (quit or otherwise).

3 hours ago, Xikto said:

I can see the point of it existing but making it half as long would probably be a good idea.

Half as long would be twice as good, and same with the success screen lock-out.

I always wonder though if it's one of those bits of cruft developers put  in intentionally to suck up a little more of our time.  (Or if not intentional, move it back in the priority list to fix because it has that benefit.)  Very unlikely, I think, but I can't completely dismiss it out of hand.   Which makes me feel cynical and sad.

14 minutes ago, Tiltskillet said:

Half as long would be twice as good, and same with the success screen lock-out.

I always wonder though if it's one of those bits of cruft developers put  in intentionally to suck up a little more of our time.  (Or if not intentional, move it back in the priority list to fix because it has that benefit.)  Very unlikely, I think, but I can't completely dismiss it out of hand.   Which makes me feel cynical and sad.

Oh, it is intentional. The "main menu" (read: the orbiter) is fully loaded and ready to go before the end of mission screen pops up. I've had quite a lot of missions where it finishes the loading screen, shows my frame in front of the console for a fraction of a second and then suddenly it shoves the end of mission summary screen in my face.

And sadly, I don't see anything being done about it. DE know full well that we hate the end of mission screen. They posted various mockups, the response was widely negative with several examples given of how it could be improved and not only did they bull through with the original, hated design; but must have put some code in to make damn sure that it gets forced in our faces (the forced delay before we can get rid of it). Just another piece of evidence that DE actively hate the playerbase.

When you fail a mission because your internet doesn't connect you to the squad is way worse. I never even loaded in but I failed the mission? Ok, cool.

Then there's not one, not 2, but 3 end of mission screens for railjack. One when you complete the mission. A second one when you go back to the dry dock. And a third one when you leave the dojo.

Archived