Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum/chat moderators

Sovyul

...Are required to keep the place relatively clean, therefore their existence is mandatory to maintain the expected functionality of the forum and chat.

I'm well aware that this position is voluntary, but even then, I'm confused. Why are they doing it for free? Why isn't DE paying them? If they are essential, they should receive monetary compensation. Just as site maintenance, Is moderation not a job that absolutely needs to be done now? The forum can exist without moderators, but in an absolutely chaotic, borderline unusable state, to the point where DE might even get into legal trouble regarding the content that would be posted here.

It's not even charity work, or helping out a small indie company. This is not an animal shelter, lives don't depend on your kindness here. DE has Tencent as a shareholder now as well. It seems more like exploitation of good will to me.

1 hour ago, Sovyul said:

...Are required to keep the place relatively clean, therefore their existence is mandatory to maintain the expected functionality of the forum and chat.

I'm well aware that this position is voluntary, but even then, I'm confused. Why are they doing it for free? Why isn't DE paying them? If they are essential, they should receive monetary compensation. Just as site maintenance, Is moderation not a job that absolutely needs to be done now? The forum can exist without moderators, but in an absolutely chaotic, borderline unusable state, to the point where DE might even get into legal trouble regarding the content that would be posted here.

It's not even charity work, or helping out a small indie company. This is not an animal shelter, lives don't depend on your kindness here. DE has Tencent as a shareholder now as well. It seems more like exploitation of good will to me.

You can use moderation experience on your resume. 

I can't speak for them as to why they are doing it, but I know from experience in other places, a lot of the time, it's often done by people because they are aware that it needs to be done. 

My experiences elsewhere also tell me that most often, the people who make for the best moderators aren't the people who ask to be made moderators, but rather the people who have to be asked to do it. 

I can't speak for all of the moderators, but I'd like to make it clear that nothing I have ever done for them as a volunteer moderator has been forced upon or expected of me, only appreciated.

As far as the Tencent thing, that does not in any way change the way I feel about the people who work at Digital Extremes, and those are the people I care about helping when I'm able.

I hope this clears up any questions that people may have regarding this!  -- Happy Holidays & Happy New year to all!  😊

We don't do it for free. We're paid with the friends we make along the way!

On a more serious note, I appreciate the sentiment of advocating for us volunteer moderators to get paid, though it's really not necessary. I don't mind volunteering as a moderator, and I suspect the other volunteer moderators don't either; we wouldn't have volunteered or opted to remain as moderators if we didn't want to help or enjoy helping to keep things clean and tidy.

Moderating definitely isn't for everyone though, and sometimes volunteers find out the hard way that they weren't ready for the unique types of stress that come with moderating a gaming community. Some people can handle it, some can't.

There are paid moderators, but unlike us volunteers, they are considered DE Staff and wear more than one hat with regards to their duties; we often get in touch with them to discuss issues with moderation, ask for advice/guidance, or to elevate an issue that needs to go beyond the confines of the forums (such as EULA/Terms of Use violations).

The long and short of it is that it needs doing, we don't mind (and often enjoy) doing it, and we are fine with volunteering our time to help. And I wasn't kidding about the friends along the way either; I count some of my fellow moderators among my closest friends.

Just popping in to voice my appreciation for our green-titled brethren. Even during the rare occasions when we don't see eye to eye, I'm glad you guys (and gals and others) are around to keep the peace.

As trite as it sounds to say it, I hope you all keep up the good work.

Wait they are not DE staff and don’t get paid... guys get money. Just something. 

Im telling you some day some ones going to #*!% up, or they are just going to move all forums to India to deal with and throw you out like used toilet paper. The time to do something about all this time your giving them is now. Don’t wait till they throw you out to get mad about everything you gave them.

Archived