New Player, Help Needed With Volt Mods And How To Deal With Tougher Enemies Like Level 20's.

Question

So i'm new to the game and i'm currently on Europa, been struggling with level 20 enemies and especially level 25 enemies, so i heard mods are good way to deal with them, so what mods should i have on Volt and what are some ways get stronger to deal with level 20's?

Edited by (NSW)Pockybutaaaaah
Added a bit of Context and just some general info

The entirety of power in this game is mods.  If you've ever run across a higher level player and watched them absolutely plow through a mission and wondered where that massive power gap comes from, it's mods.  The best gear in the game is pretty much trash without mods on it.  The worst gear in the game can breeze through level 20 enemies with even just a handful of good mods.

Mods require other things to work though.  You have to upgrade them with Endo, which makes them more expensive to use as far as mod capacity is concerned, and that capacity can be upgraded on a frame or weapon with Orokin Reactors and Orokin Catalysts respectively.  Forma can be applied to mod slots to help lower the cost of mods placed in them, assuming the polarities match.  Spend time in the missions you've already beaten and farm mods and endo as they can drop from enemies as well as being mission rewards.  The wiki is your friend if you're trying to find specific mods for a frame or weapon.  Once you have a decent collection, look up some guides or get someone who knows to teach you how to mod different things properly.  One of the things you'll find is that a lot of weapons have "mandatory" mods (like base damage or multishot for instance.) that basically mean the build for any given weapon is halfway filled up before you even start thinking about what you want to put on it.

You probably know a lot of that already, but I just wanted to cover those bases.  I met an MR 5 not too long ago that had no idea you could upgrade your mods.  Feel free to DM me if you want specific modding advice for something.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

You probably know a lot of that already, but I just wanted to cover those bases.  I met an MR 5 not too long ago that had no idea you could upgrade your mods.  

Nah, it's a great post, mate.

I've seen more people overcomplicate their advices while all the rookie need to know are the basic stuff.

Imho explaining things as simple as possible is truly underrated.

• Like 2
On 2021-01-03 at 10:41 PM, Jackdarsan said:

So much good advise already so this is just what I did if you want to do that same. 

Builds: Being new you want health, shields and efficiency. This way you wont die so quickly and get to use your abilities more often. 

Frame: I rushed getting Rhino (found it great to stay alive with the extra shield and still use this fame (Prime version) till this day. This frame got me through the star chart and most of the games content. Lots of great builds online so worth googling for them. 

Mods: You will get mods by playing, so no need to rush and buy mods if you want to play for free. Don't max out mods that can go to 10 since that can get very expensive for new players. Getting mods to level 8 is good enough to play this game, once you get more credit and endo then you can max them out. 

Weapons: There is so many weapons however I found I use the following the most often. Primary; ignis wraith (which you can find people giving the blue print away for free. Secondary: Kitgun - Catchmoon (has been nerfed but still out performs my other secondaries. Melee; Zaw (melee is king lately). 

As a new player there game can be overwhelming since DE has made almost all the game available at a low level which is just confusing and takes away any feeling of progression. So always check the wiki, ask questions in the Q&A tab in game and follow guides until you understand what to do next. 

Do sorties, dailies and join a syndicate as soon as you can, these will help you get rewards. 

thanks for the recommendations, i'll be sure to check out the weapons but they seem like they'll take some time to get so that will happen when i get to it.

13 hours ago, Graavarg said:

Volt is considered a "wimpy" warframe, but he is not at all bad at melee. There are a couple tricks you could use:

• Enemies hit by Volt's [4] will be stunned for a while, and increasing your Duration stat will make them stay stunned longer. If you kill them with melee anyway there is no need to have Strength for more ability damage, but increasing duration will givce you more time to melee them and adding Efficiency will make every cast cost less energy. You just get close enough, pop your [4] and then melee them to death while they stand there stunned and shaking (6 seconds when ability is maxed, which can be further increased with Duration mods). This is a great way to handle clumps of enemies. And the "Capacitance" augment (a mod changing/strengthening an ability) someone already mentioned works great with this, since it will keep your shields up (and add overshields).
  • Volt's 2nd also has an augment called "Shocking Speed", which does 175 damage to any enemy you "touch" while your [2] ("Speed") is active. It also guarantees an electric proc (stunning the enemy). Since Volt's [2] is pretty cheap and lasts 10 seconds, you can use this to kill several weaker enemies simply by running into them and tougher enemies will become "shocked" = easy to melee down. And you can use Efficiency mods to make the ability cost less energy, and Duration mods to make it last longer.
  • There is a mod called "Retribution", which is seldom used since it kind of falls off against tougher enemies. When fully upgraded it has a 60% chance to do 80 Electric damage to any enemy that attacks you/your shield with melee. And a 10% chance to stun them. A lot of players would argue that it is a "niche" mod at best, but we have found that it really helps new players, especially those focusing on melee and especially with large shields (which is a thing with Volt 😉). Since almost nobody uses it, you can get one for almost nothing. It only drops from enemies you will meet later on.

The good thing with augments is that you buy them from syndicates with standing (= they are not dependent on random chance). The bad thing is also that you have to buy them from syndicates, since it is pretty hard to rank up with the syndicates in the beginning. Players also sell them for plat, and there is always the chance that a nice Tenno would give you one for free if you ask politely in the chat. A lot of players (and especially higher MRs) are quite willing to help, it is one of the good things with Warframe. 

That's good to know, i'll be sure to keep my eye out for when i get those augmentations pop out, also im quite a bit shy when using the general chat and have no idea where to look so do have any recommendations on where to look in general or?

22 hours ago, Aazhyd said:

There are two things that are vital when you're still a beginning player:

1. Survivability. Mods like Redirection, Vitality and Steel Fiber will help. Level them up.

2. A good gun. Also modding this gun for damage, multishot and elemental damage (corrosive is generally a good one) is necessary. I don't know what MR you are, but I started out with Braton Prime and later switched to Arca Plasmor. That last one requires MR10, but it's a great gun for where you are now.

Don't believe veterans who give you advice on very advanced builds (like full of rare mods or arcanes). This may be good for them, but not for beginners.

im MR 5, so can i get a Braton Prime at this level or is it later that i can get it? 

8 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The entirety of power in this game is mods.  If you've ever run across a higher level player and watched them absolutely plow through a mission and wondered where that massive power gap comes from, it's mods.  The best gear in the game is pretty much trash without mods on it.  The worst gear in the game can breeze through level 20 enemies with even just a handful of good mods.

Mods require other things to work though.  You have to upgrade them with Endo, which makes them more expensive to use as far as mod capacity is concerned, and that capacity can be upgraded on a frame or weapon with Orokin Reactors and Orokin Catalysts respectively.  Forma can be applied to mod slots to help lower the cost of mods placed in them, assuming the polarities match.  Spend time in the missions you've already beaten and farm mods and endo as they can drop from enemies as well as being mission rewards.  The wiki is your friend if you're trying to find specific mods for a frame or weapon.  Once you have a decent collection, look up some guides or get someone who knows to teach you how to mod different things properly.  One of the things you'll find is that a lot of weapons have "mandatory" mods (like base damage or multishot for instance.) that basically mean the build for any given weapon is halfway filled up before you even start thinking about what you want to put on it.

You probably know a lot of that already, but I just wanted to cover those bases.  I met an MR 5 not too long ago that had no idea you could upgrade your mods.  Feel free to DM me if you want specific modding advice for something.

I'll be sure to DM with any questions about specific mods, i don't think endo will be a huge problem and i have 5840 endo, but as far with Orokin reactors i haven't had the luck with getting the blueprint for those, forma i just need neurodes, i'll look into forma's as i have no idea how they work. but thanks for the help!

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, (NSW)Pockybutaaaaah said:

im MR 5, so can i get a Braton Prime at this level or is it later that i can get it? 

Braton Prime is MR 8, but you can start with regular Braton, it's MR 0.

Considering Orokin Catalysts / Reactors: only use them if you're sure you want to use the weapon / warframe for a long time. These items are rather scarce early in the game, so don't waste them. Also: putting Forma on frame / weapon is quite pointless if you haven't got a reactor / catalyst on it. You can farm them, but don't use them yet.

I'd suggest getting a Reactor for Volt first, that will help a lot. It doubles your mod space. That augment is only available through Syndicates or trading. You can't find it directly while playing the game. I wouldn't focus on that for now.

8 hours ago, (NSW)Pockybutaaaaah said:

can i get a Braton Prime at this level or is it later that i can get it? 

Not to discourage you from asking questions to other players, but this info is available in-game and can be checked at any time.  Type the exact name of any weapon or frame in chat in brackets like this: [braton prime] and it will give you a clickable link (even on console.  Well, hopefully it works on the Switch.) that will give you some basic info, including the MR requirement.  This game also has probably the best curated wiki of any game I've seen, so you can easily get more info than you ever wanted about pretty much any item or activity in the game.  I would actually recommend that you look up the wiki page for any new frame or weapon you try out for several reasons.

1. This game withholds so much information you could almost consider it to be lying.  For instance, the Ether Sword has a special ability where slam attacks come with a guaranteed radiation status proc on enemies, but the game doesn't tell you this anywhere.  It also does technically tell you other things, but hides the info so that you have to go digging for it.  For instance, the "tips" section on Volt's ability screen will tell you about all the synergies his abilities have with each other, such as his shield being able to damage enemies that pass through it if you cast Shock on it.  The wiki comes with pretty much all the mechanics of a frame or weapon, including damage formulae, so that you can ensure you're using them to their greatest potential.  Even if you decide you don't like a frame, knowing how it works can help you better work with any teammates you have that use that frame.
  2. Certain weapons are actually used to craft other weapons, so for instance if you get the Amphis staff to 30 for MR but decide you don't like it, selling it to free up a slot will result in you needing to rebuild it later when you want to build the Sydon, since it's a material used to build that.  The game will not warn you of this anywhere.  The wiki will.
  3. The wiki will also lead you down rabbit holes of information, which can lead to things like getting a fuller understanding of different damage types and which ones are better against which factions and health types.  This alone can help you make better modding decisions.

Even when it comes to mission types and farming, the wiki can provide helpful advice that can at least get you going in the right direction if you get hung up on mission mechanics.  The game will not do a good job of explaining many activities, while the wiki will give you a full breakdown of everything involved.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Not to discourage you from asking questions to other players, but this info is available in-game and can be checked at any time.  Type the exact name of any weapon or frame in chat in brackets like this: [braton prime] and it will give you a clickable link (even on console.  Well, hopefully it works on the Switch.) that will give you some basic info, including the MR requirement.  This game also has probably the best curated wiki of any game I've seen, so you can easily get more info than you ever wanted about pretty much any item or activity in the game.  I would actually recommend that you look up the wiki page for any new frame or weapon you try out for several reasons.

1. This game withholds so much information you could almost consider it to be lying.  For instance, the Ether Sword has a special ability where slam attacks come with a guaranteed radiation status proc on enemies, but the game doesn't tell you this anywhere.  It also does technically tell you other things, but hides the info so that you have to go digging for it.  For instance, the "tips" section on Volt's ability screen will tell you about all the synergies his abilities have with each other, such as his shield being able to damage enemies that pass through it if you cast Shock on it.  The wiki comes with pretty much all the mechanics of a frame or weapon, including damage formulae, so that you can ensure you're using them to their greatest potential.  Even if you decide you don't like a frame, knowing how it works can help you better work with any teammates you have that use that frame.
  2. Certain weapons are actually used to craft other weapons, so for instance if you get the Amphis staff to 30 for MR but decide you don't like it, selling it to free up a slot will result in you needing to rebuild it later when you want to build the Sydon, since it's a material used to build that.  The game will not warn you of this anywhere.  The wiki will.
  3. The wiki will also lead you down rabbit holes of information, which can lead to things like getting a fuller understanding of different damage types and which ones are better against which factions and health types.  This alone can help you make better modding decisions.

Even when it comes to mission types and farming, the wiki can provide helpful advice that can at least get you going in the right direction if you get hung up on mission mechanics.  The game will not do a good job of explaining many activities, while the wiki will give you a full breakdown of everything involved.

Oh that's good to know, i didn't know it tells you what MR requirements are required, i'll be sure to check out the wiki more often then. The Amphis staff i haven't even gotten to because of neurodes, but yeah i'll check out the wiki and in game stuff to learn more. EDIT: I got a orokin reactor because of nightwave, used it on volt of course and am now making a forma, so hopefully things go better now.

Edited by (NSW)Pockybutaaaaah
26 minutes ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

From the top of my head, i think the Soma is mr5? Its a really useful machine gun type weapon.

If not, at least the Hek is mr4, it blasts everything off the starchart, but its a shotgun. I personally don't like shotguns very much.

Hek is mr4 yes, but Soma is mr6, so should i rank up to rank 6 first or should i just get Hek instead?

Hek and Soma are both very viable, but their playstyle is different. Hek is a shotgun, Soma is a machinegun that eats bullets. So it's personal.

Leveling up to MR6 is a good idea anyway.

Level up the hek while trying out its style of damage dealing, it gives mastery points to unlock the soma later. Try all kinds of stuff to find your style. Shotguns can deal insane damage, except in my hands. I love spraying 100's of bullets at a swarm and grind them down that way.

13 hours ago, (NSW)IronElemental said:

Level up the hek while trying out its style of damage dealing, it gives mastery points to unlock the soma later. Try all kinds of stuff to find your style. Shotguns can deal insane damage, except in my hands. I love spraying 100's of bullets at a swarm and grind them down that way.

Okay, though the neurodes are gonna suck to grind.

Neurodes drop on earth, i usually combine that with other nonsense to grind. Maybe nightwave has a 'challenge' to do 3 missions of the same type you can complete on earth, to get some rewards from there while you're at it. Ferrite is useful to stock up on, its needed in almost anything. I usually find some neurodes on maps where i can freely run around and break boxes everywhere. The 1st 2 exterminate nodes usually have 1 or 2 in the map if you look around in all the corners.