Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Planetary SOS Nodes (New Gear item, launch to call for help!)

Max7238

Similar to scanner charges, which can be bought for relatively cheap, this gear item effectively opens a "Friends Only" or "Invite Only" mission up to anyone who selects the new "SOS" node on a planet or other destination.

This is meant for new Tenno or those with low MR to be able to enter a mission they have trouble with and call for the help of someone wanting to play on that destination. Instead of going into the Recruiting chat channel, which can be turned off in the options menu and is also mostly used to LFG of farming groups, now players would be able to draw attention to their plight directly via the map screen.

How it works:

A player buys charges like the scanner, and equips them to the Gear wheel. When activated, the item begins to "broadcast an SOS signal" and the session shows up as an "open squad" on that destination's new "SOS" node, which will pulse as if it were an unfinished mission or Railjack Anomaly, etc. Other players who can see the pulse can select the SOS node to enter matchmaking for that destination's open squads that are requesting aid.

The differentiation is important. Many Tenno are perfectly happy or capable enough to clear their missions alone, but leave public matchmaking turned on in case others decide to join. There's also a group, of which I am one, who play the game mainly to interact with others who need help specifically, not do missions at random or farm for something we need.

By using this system, players who don't know about Recruiting chat or whose messages get drowned in the rest of the LFG talk have another way to request the help of others. It costs them next to nothing, gives players who want to help others an avenue to actively seek them instead of monitoring a text channel, and it could be used for other rewards as well. Perhaps doing so gives an increased Focus rate of conversion, or extra Syndicate EXP or something for the players responding to the SOS.

It's been a while since I've submitted a fan concept. I've been quite alienated from Warframe as of late, but I'm doing my best to seek out players who need help and join them on some missions so they can do their junctions and ask questions about minutia. An item like this given to all players when they start the game as a pack of 10, which can be bought with credits later if needed, would suddenly make it trivial to rush to the aid of Tenno across the Origin system.

I hope it receives at least some consideration. Thank you for your time.

14 minutes ago, JimmuTanno88 said:

That would be quite helpful to newer players, the only potential issues(that I can think of anyway) would be with matchmaking/connections.

the way I see it, it could just be that the item overrides the friends only/invite only/solo selection and forces the mission to become a public mission

31 minutes ago, Max7238 said:

By using this system, players who don't know about Recruiting chat or whose messages get drowned in the rest of the LFG talk have another way to request the help of others.

I'm sorry, but... whut.

I don't doubt that there's some people who are challenged by the idea of finding the recruiting chat. But you will agree that your idea is MUCH more complicated than finding a chat. I mean, these players would have to:

1) Magically know that there is a SOS beacon

2) Finding the market

3) Finding the SOS beacon in the market

4) Understand they have to equip it

5) Find the equipment wheel in their arsenal

6) Use it in mission.

How is this a better option? The idea that there is an equippable SOS beacon isn't something that spontaneously pops into your head. Those players would have been told that the SOS beacon exists.

And you know what you can tell them instead? That the recruitment chat exists.

Archived