Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Customization Feedback: Allow Mod Slots to Be Polarized with All Polarizations

Gigatron-Prime

Then the complaint would change to "DE keeps changing all the builds so I HAVE to forma all my frames 20 times and the grind is boring. 

Having 1 polarity on one slot encourages build diversity since you have to now decide on what your build needs and doesn't need based on what you value. It's not how I would have done it, and saying it reduces build diversity by limiting the viability without grind is a reasonable view to have. But having multiple polarities on a slot will make frames more powerful at the drop of a hat, and as such will make things harder to balance later on. 

Really a nice idea.

I don't understand the people that don't like this, probably they have not read well the post.

About the multi-forma in same slot i totally agree, this will be helpful to create different build and configuration in the same weapon, and for me there will be a psicologic advantage in a particular situation: the weapon with "D" polarities and no status chance. When a weapon comes with a "D" polarities and no status chance (since all "D" mod are +90% status and +cold dmg),that polarities is really troll, and that's nothing i hate more in this game, than remove an existing polarities.

If instead of remove the polarities i could be allowed to put a forma for a double symbol, will be really a nice things!

4 hours ago, TheBrsrkr said:

Then the complaint would change to "DE keeps changing all the builds so I HAVE to forma all my frames 20 times and the grind is boring. 

Having 1 polarity on one slot encourages build diversity since you have to now decide on what your build needs and doesn't need based on what you value. It's not how I would have done it, and saying it reduces build diversity by limiting the viability without grind is a reasonable view to have. But having multiple polarities on a slot will make frames more powerful at the drop of a hat, and as such will make things harder to balance later on. 

Explain how they become more powerful. 

15 hours ago, xombob89 said:

Explain how they become more powerful. 

Well, I don't have the numbers jotted down, so I'll just use placeholder numbers. 

So a lvl30 frame with a matching Aura will have around 70 energy for mods. Let's take poster boy, Excalibur as an example. If I want to go for a tank EB build, I'll need power strength and efficiency with some armor and health. So you'd throw in max Vitality, max Steel Fiber, Trans fort, Blind rage, fleeting expertise, intensify, Streamline and Primed flow. Those last 3 you can switch out with whatever Umbral or other fancy mods you can think of. If you have 6 forma you'd put 4 VS and 2 dashes. Let's say all that adds up to 80 (again, ballparking) or so before forma so it leaves you with ~8 energy left over after you put them all down. Now if you want to fit primed Vigor on your build, that's a D polarity you probably don't want to put down because, let's face it, the D sucks. So you'd juggle some stuff in the build to fit it. Maybe a little less efficiency, maybe a little less damage. If you want a hybrid build you'd switch out Trans fort for primed continuity. If you want an augment you'd toss out Intensify or something. It'll all fit a little tightly, but it'll fit. When you start adding some of the Umbral mods and big exilus mods it starts getting more tricky. Sure if you forma the slot at most it'll cost 5 points, but it's 5 points you don't have. 

If you remove that by letting you forma any slot twice, now every mod can fit on every build. There is no combination of mods that you cannot fit with 70 energy if you have 4 V/dash polarities and 1 dash/d polarity. Great for build diversity, yeah, but it raises the power floor by allowing all corrupted mods, all umbral mods, all combo mods and any aura to be added at the same time while the usual penalty of not being perfect everywhere doesn't exist. Primed Vigor especially adds to this, because now you don't have to sacrifice any power for survivability, you can just use 1 mod slot  and leave all the others for power. And as always, when you raise the skill floor of players soon enough you'll expect them to always meet it. 

I don't think DE will do this tbh , but it would have a few advantages.

• It would give DE more flexibility in terms of balancing mods. Currently I feel the main reason they are not really making any big sweeping changes to how people mod their weapons and frames is because they know any change will piss everyone off by forcing people to reforma 400+ weapons if they were, let's say, to remove serrration / split chamber, since most people have put tons of V polarities on every weapon and now they would probably want them switched to - polarities for 120% elemental mods for example or whatever is the new meta for modding 3.0.
  • It would make builds more flexible. Right now you often get into situations where you over-formaed your gear to the point where you have almost no slots with no polarity, and are kinda screwed if you want to slot in a mod of a different polarity. A good example is putting umbra formas on your frame... It's cool and all, but good luck doing an non-umbra mod setup down the line... Or people get a riven with a D polarity when their whole build is filled with Vs and -s
  • With the helminth system, it's now especially annoying to mod frames, as even if you buy a b c d e loadout slots and try to put multiple different builds in these, chances are you won't be able to make these work... I mean different skills require different strenght, duration, range, efficiency, so what fits in your regular frame will probably not fit for helminth frames.

That said I think we're more likely to see them release an universal forma down the line that allows the user to slot any mod polarity in a specific slot... Perhaps even umbra mods. It would probably be a rare item (especially if it can replace umbral formas) if it's added to the game, mostly suited to get more flexibilty on your favorite frames. Think it would be a good compromise, that way you can to think which frame would most benefit for having an universal slot where they can put everything. I mean there's already universal aura formas, why not push this a little further.

On 2021-01-15 at 3:18 PM, TheBrsrkr said:

Well, I don't have the numbers jotted down, so I'll just use placeholder numbers. 

So a lvl30 frame with a matching Aura will have around 70 energy for mods. Let's take poster boy, Excalibur as an example. If I want to go for a tank EB build, I'll need power strength and efficiency with some armor and health. So you'd throw in max Vitality, max Steel Fiber, Trans fort, Blind rage, fleeting expertise, intensify, Streamline and Primed flow. Those last 3 you can switch out with whatever Umbral or other fancy mods you can think of. If you have 6 forma you'd put 4 VS and 2 dashes. Let's say all that adds up to 80 (again, ballparking) or so before forma so it leaves you with ~8 energy left over after you put them all down. Now if you want to fit primed Vigor on your build, that's a D polarity you probably don't want to put down because, let's face it, the D sucks. So you'd juggle some stuff in... 

You can already do all of that by building a second warframe. But building an extra for this is ridiculous requirement, it just clutters your inventory. 

So, multi polarizing will remove this issue, without making anyone stronger. 

Im already fitting all corrupted mods and w/e in my builds, if it conflicts with another build I just dont build it... Which comes back to lack of variety. Im not gonna make my builds weaker so I could get a new type of build lol. So again, its not changing anything it just lets you make DIFFERENT builds, not more powerful ones. If you could use all those builds in one game then youd be more powerful, but since you cant... 

18 hours ago, xombob89 said:

You can already do all of that by building a second warframe. But building an extra for this is ridiculous requirement, it just clutters your inventory. 

So, multi polarizing will remove this issue, without making anyone stronger. 

Unless building another warframe gives you more mod points it'll be the same as every other frame whether you can or can't fit any mods. 

On 2021-01-19 at 11:44 AM, TheBrsrkr said:

Unless building another warframe gives you more mod points it'll be the same as every other frame whether you can or can't fit any mods. 

Im not sure what you are suggesting? That polarizing same slot multiple times gives you more points to use? Because it doesnt. It only halves the cost of the mod, having D and V polarity in same slot wont make it even cheaper unless they decide to make it like that which they wont.

So, right now you can either make ONE build with all polarities you need to make it as efficient as possible, or build another warframe so you can polarize it differently to max this specific builds potential. (with the exception of builds which happen to share same polarities with the original). 

Only reason you wouldnt polarize enough slots on one warframe is if you wanted to make new builds on the same one. 

To further clarify, say I want all V polarities on my excaliburs main build. Then I think, man Id like to make this other build but it happens to need all D polarities. Now I cant do that without deleting my original build, UNLESS I make a second excalibur OR have the option to polarize all slots with V and D. That's why we need this. 

I don't see the wrong in the OP's proposal, particularly if it were to benefit DE by making people purchase or rush more Forma to multi-polarize the same slot. Personally, having put many hours into many different frames, including thousands on my main, I'd love to be able to customize them however I saw fit, and would gladly re-level them again and again if it meant being able to lift polarization restrictions. Of course, I'd prefer it even more if polarization didn't impose a malus on mods with mismatched polarities, and I'd argue the polarization system itself runs counter to freedom to build, but that's a whole other can of worms, and the OP's proposal appears simple and mutually beneficial enough to warrant implementation.

Archived