Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Needs Love

_4shes

It's a very cool concept for a frame. He's just a bit slow and clunky. His 4 and 3 could use a bit of a touch up. He has his uses and good augments but he's kinda outclassed and forgotten by better CC and armor stripping frames.  Any suggestions or is he perfect just the way he is?

yes needs some love,

But doesnt need ember level drastic changes , either stat changes or some mechanical improvements will do.

its currently lacking in anything that makes him standout,

He is still capable (with the right augments for the right time) or with the right helminth ability - but that's nitpicking.

This seems to always pop up from players that do not know how to play him.

He has the best passive on the game

His powers are to work collectively to get the showing of having mastered him

Learn him and he is nearly unkillable

I do have a question- am i the only person that recalls he used to be able to have 3 actions of his 4 going at the same time or am i from a different universe where that was the norm?

3 minutes ago, (XBOX)DShinShoryuken said:

I do have a question- am i the only person that recalls he used to be able to have 3 actions of his 4 going at the same time or am i from a different universe where that was the norm?

I think he's Meh at max.

He's like a master of water. And he knocks down enemies turns into a wave or a pond and summons some sea creature that stays in one place and you only see the thing for only a few seconds.

He's abilities could be much better both in their effectiveness and visual representation.

1 hour ago, JackHargreav said:

I think he's Meh at max.

He's like a master of water. And he knocks down enemies turns into a wave or a pond and summons some sea creature that stays in one place and you only see the thing for only a few seconds.

He's abilities could be much better both in their effectiveness and visual representation.

The reason being he is down to earth. Not flashy. Not exaggerated. He is water.

Just as the Master said- be water.

He slams areas with rain

He crashes as a wave that pulls all in his wake

He draws foes to a watery grave while also being in command of a titan that if it was fully unleashed, would cause others to tear their eyeport balls out.

If you want flash and sparks- Volt or Nova

If you want explosions and dashing- Rev or Gauss

Want to kill all day- Saryn or Vaub

Hydroid when played by one who knows how to play him is fluid motion of destruction, versatility, and being in the zone

You can play every frame, and you can play any frame you want. But I'd say Hydroid is one of the 3 worst frames in the game, and Pilfering Swarm is the only thing preventing him from taking last place.

• His 1 is worthless. Even more-so with the nerf to corrosive.
  • His 2 is mobility every Operator can do.
  • His 3 is small, slow, not all that damaging, and boring.
  • His 4 is unreliable as hell, and limits the weapons you can use to effectively kill enemies.

Maybe he can be salvaged, but I'm pretty sure he'd need to be reworked from near the ground up for me to enjoy him.

He is a loot frame though right.

Albeit probably last in line as far as that I guess that's the one reason there ever was to use him.

I don't have really have anything positive to say about them at all.

The saggy plastic parts hanging from everywhere, makes his outfit look like a torn shirt. He obviously needs to actually tie into the element of water, slick, clean, smooth - could be a water texture, could be a translucent aura by activation, could be turning into a water monster.

Tentacles... have a quite unfortunate connotation, imported by generation neckbeard, where I'd as far as to say you can no longer put tentacles in anything.

... but what were they doing there to begin with. If it's a water frame, stick with water.

Then the thematic contrast of making it rain but seemingly conjuring a space monster from below. Those are both - water - but not at all the same theme.

Overall none of it make any kind of sense, is fun gameplay or is cool to look at. I'd throw the whole thing right out the window and make a real water elemental frame from scratch.

You have to 2 questions you need to answer. What comes to min intuitively when you think of an elemental character and what would cool things would you like to be able to do with water. And I actually think if you asked 10,000 people the answers would be the same. So to me it's elementary.

Warframe mostly tries to do things different simply to set it self apart - like cutting up capes and putting spikes on everything. Hydroid is a symptom of that mentality.

If someone, one day, is going to ask for a hydroid in a premade I will use him but Id never think to actually just play him.

10 hours ago, _4shes said:

It's a very cool concept for a frame. He's just a bit slow and clunky. His 4 and 3 could use a bit of a touch up. He has his uses and good augments but he's kinda outclassed and forgotten by better CC and armor stripping frames.  Any suggestions or is he perfect just the way he is?

Hydroid is a high skill cap frame with some unfortunate aspects to his kit in place to balance how powerful undertow really is.

The thing that makes him seem slow/clunky is really just animation imo.

Hydroid could definitely use some tuning and takes way more work to be good than most frames... but as long as Undertow exists as-is that tuning simply can't be very much.

I'd dig seeing DE take the "Formless Like water" approach and make Undertow one of a few skills that can be changed to something else on the fly but also change the way all of his other abilities work in the process.  

I must be one of the few people who uses and likes most* of Hydroids kit. I'd say the problem is that he's reliant on augments. Corroding barrage is a nice armor strip, but it would be 100 times better if it did corrosive damage as standard, without the augment. same with Pilfering Swarm: a Pirate frame should have a power that gets you more drops, Nekros does it without an augment, why not Hydroid?

about the only thing that needs a true rework in his kit is his 2, because with operator and parkour 2.0, travel powers aren't much cop. the only reason to occasionally use it is the invulnerability window. I'd like it if it were changed to be a proper tidal wave/Tsunami where you crash down upon the enemy, dealing damage across a wide area. or it could be changed to something else IDK, I just reckon that's the weakest part of his kit. 

1 hour ago, (PSN)robotwars7 said:

I must be one of the few people who uses and likes most* of Hydroids kit. I'd say the problem is that he's reliant on augments. Corroding barrage is a nice armor strip, but it would be 100 times better if it did corrosive damage as standard, without the augment. same with Pilfering Swarm: a Pirate frame should have a power that gets you more drops, Nekros does it without an augment, why not Hydroid?

about the only thing that needs a true rework in his kit is his 2, because with operator and parkour 2.0, travel powers aren't much cop. the only reason to occasionally use it is the invulnerability window. I'd like it if it were changed to be a proper tidal wave/Tsunami where you crash down upon the enemy, dealing damage across a wide area. or it could be changed to something else IDK, I just reckon that's the weakest part of his kit. 

FWIW, I like most of his kit and think his 2 is one of the most powerful skills in it.

I tend to agree on his reliance on augments as I think most of them should have just been part of the skills themselves.

My biggest issues are with his base stats... which seems to be a thing with DE and CC frames for some reason.

Well it's pretty apparent Hydroid's entire kit is very messy at just a base level. His Passive isn't helpful or very thematic for Hydroid at all, not serving much of purpose or helping him out. Tempest Barrage is fairly random damage in an AoE you have to charge up to deal extra damage, Tidal Surge is just a traversal ability with no other real benefits that gets nerfed in Undertow (even though that's where you'd want it to be used), Undertow focuses far too much on staying in one place and requires too much outside help to do much of anything and Tentacle Swarm is another CC ability that is supposedly used as a source of damage while failing drastically at both even after being charged.

Ignoring all of the number buffs he needs, DE really needs to analyze his kit at a base level. Impact damage is awful. Magnetic damage is awful. Dealing damage once per second isn't all that effective in general, as we've seen with Wisps' Ultimate and other abilities. It would make more sense for Hydroid's kit in general to mostly use True Damage, so maybe he could deal some high damage that ignored enemy defenses at all levels, DE just has to realize making that damage as slow as molasses isn't a great way to balance that concept out in a fast-paced game. The list goes on, and on.

14 hours ago, _4shes said:

You got the Hydroid Prime trailer. What more do you want?

I like his kit. Just needs tweaks here and there.

Unreliable 1 and 4. When i use them they seem all over the place and don't hit a thing.

A faster rate of fire on his barrage would make it more useful in my opinion.

Tentacle swarm needs different conditions on what the tentacles do. Flailing around just makes killing enemies slower. Different effects would be nice. Some grab, some knock enemies down or holds them in place. Feels worthless after the initial cast too. I see enemies running past it ffs. 

His tidal surge could use more of a vacuum to suck enemies into it and maybe a longer base duration. 

And undertow I feel needs a secondary effect. Either extending the range of tentacle swarm when used in conjuction or by buffing allies standing in it like the augment does. And it desperately needs an indicator for enemies trapped inside it. I mean physically for teammates looking at it, not just a number. 

as hyroid fan myself , i just only want him to have a consistent cc ability/ies , personally i dont care about my frame damage , i dislike having 2 rng cc + 1 gimmick cc  , sure his puddle is consistant but its very low range even with range mods and really is just bad without using 2 , and about the 2 it can stay i dont think the 2 is that big of a deal but .. yea  

why mesa has a consistant good mobile cc but hydroid cant  ? any reason whatsoever  

48 minutes ago, (PSN)Tactless_Ninja said:

I like his kit. Just needs tweaks here and there.

Unreliable 1 and 4. When i use them they seem all over the place and don't hit a thing.

A faster rate of fire on his barrage would make it more useful in my opinion.

Tentacle swarm needs different conditions on what the tentacles do. Flailing around just makes killing enemies slower. Different effects would be nice. Some grab, some knock enemies down or holds them in place. Feels worthless after the initial cast too. I see enemies running past it ffs. 

His tidal surge could use more of a vacuum to suck enemies into it and maybe a longer base duration. 

And undertow I feel needs a secondary effect. Either extending the range of tentacle swarm when used in conjuction or by buffing allies standing in it. And it desperately needs an indicator for enemies trapped inside it. 

also yea his 1 really needs to proc/hit faster for corrosive builds 

11 hours ago, KitMeHarder said:

You can play every frame, and you can play any frame you want. But I'd say Hydroid is one of the 3 worst frames in the game, and Pilfering Swarm is the only thing preventing him from taking last place.

• His 1 is worthless. Even more-so with the nerf to corrosive.
  • His 2 is mobility every Operator can do.
  • His 3 is small, slow, not all that damaging, and boring.
  • His 4 is unreliable as hell, and limits the weapons you can use to effectively kill enemies.

Maybe he can be salvaged, but I'm pretty sure he'd need to be reworked from near the ground up for me to enjoy him.

it really just boils down to DE reworking hydroid back in the day because he was perceived as an afk frame but they somehow managed to not change that at all ? and now they pretend they dont need to rework him again because 'muh loot' and helminth's existence , the future is not very bright for hydroid , even though its the most badass looking frame and in concept yada yada 

And the fact that they copy pasted hydroid's base fashion onto lavos gives me the bad vibes about the whole thing, like a way of saying 'take this and dont make us touch hyroid' , it feels like hydroid's gonna be forgotten in the 'Unholy' corner forever untill the game dies.

59 minutes ago, killerJoke66 said:

as hyroid fan myself , i just only want him to have a consistent cc ability/ies , personally i dont care about my frame damage , i dislike having 2 rng cc + 1 gimmick cc  , sure his puddle is consistant but its very low range even with range mods and really is just bad without using 2 , and about the 2 it can stay i dont think the 2 is that big of a deal but .. yea  

why mesa has a consistant good mobile cc but hydroid cant  ? any reason whatsoever  

59 minutes ago, killerJoke66 said:

also yea his 1 really needs to proc/hit faster for corrosive builds 

58 minutes ago, killerJoke66 said:

an actual useful frame for the love of god ?

52 minutes ago, killerJoke66 said:

it really just boils down to DE reworking hydroid back in the day because he was perceived as an afk frame but they somehow managed to not change that at all ? and now they pretend they dont need to rework him again because 'muh loot' and helminth's existence , the future is not very bright for hydroid , even though its the most badass looking frame and in concept yada yada 

And the fact that they copy pasted hydroid's base fashion onto lavos gives me the bad vibes about the whole thing, like a way of saying 'take this and dont make us touch hyroid' , it feels like hydroid's gonna be forgotten in the 'Unholy' corner forever untill the game dies.

First, you need to learn what a rhetorical question is. Second, you need to learn how to multi-quote (as I just did here) and stop cluttering up threads.

2 minutes ago, DarthK3v said:

First, you need to learn what a rhetorical question is. Second, you need to learn how to multi-quote (as I just did here) and stop cluttering up threads.

you think i would care enough to not clutter up threads ? thats what you should be asking. and for the rhetorical question , i didnt see it that way my bad i guess whatever.

On 2021-01-05 at 8:12 PM, (XBOX)DShinShoryuken said:

Garuda would disagree about Hydroid having the best passive.

Archived