Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda - how, or indeed why, do I use Seeking Talons?

Nira

Question

Howdy Tenno!

Bored with most other frames right now so I'm giving Garuda another try. Digging her passive, running around with 2HP trying to stay alive and dish out tasty damage with her Talons is a lotta fun (especially now Blood Rush + Weeping Wounds function with them).

Kinda confused about her fourth ability though. It forces slash procs from any subsequent damage source right? But uh when is this useful exactly? Am I missing something? With a maxed combo counter and 100% damage boost from Death's Gate I find her claws just shred through things (currently using her for solo Steel Path) without needing to use her 4.  I'm guessing the stored damage from Dread Mirror is the intented pairing? Only thing with that is I find the explosion range a bit "meh". I've got a few zaws with Exodia Hunt that could bunch things up nicely but then that means no more claws and I do love that style.

Thanks in advance for any pointers! For what it's worth this is my build:

0B206995C723E3DD76D39938E007163BAAAB1253

15 answers to this question

40 minutes ago, Dualice said:

It forces slash procs from any subsequent damage source right? But uh when is this useful exactly?

When you use things other than OP Melee weapons :P

Besides her 1, it's great for AoE weapons, like Launchers or chaining beam weapons,
but really any source of damage benefits from it, including those used by the rest of your Squad.

43 minutes ago, Dualice said:

Only thing with that is I find the explosion range a bit "meh".

I mean, not to point out the obvious, but ... you're not using any Range Mods.

40 minutes ago, NinjaZeku said:

When you use things other than OP Melee weapons :P

Besides her 1, it's great for AoE weapons, like Launchers or chaining beam weapons,
but really any source of damage benefits from it, including those used by the rest of your Squad.

I mean, not to point out the obvious, but ... you're not using any Range Mods.

Yeah I guess it's a nice "primer" for the team's weapons and abilities. I had been experimenting with Gaze primary, Ogris and Tonkor (Kuva variants), the latter seems to perform the most satisfyingly in combo with Seeking Talons.

I heard some folk mention Magus Anomaly for bringing things in to Dread Heart range, but spamming Transference sounds like pain in the rear and I've had my fill of grinding toroids.

Also lol'd at the range mods part, yes you're quite right 😂 I guess I'll have a play around, synth was just a placeholder I think.

47 minutes ago, McCIoud said:

Her 4 makes anything apply slash prices, and yes meant to be combod with dread mirrors nuke to do a ton of damage. You can also put wisps Subsumable ability on garufa to make an infinite damage loop.

Which ability is subsumed from Wisp?

13 minutes ago, McCIoud said:

Don't remember the name, her 3, the one that blinds and makes enemies release seeking damage bolts to hit other enemies

11 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

Breach Surge.

Ah, thank you!

Errr so I just discovered Proboscis Cernos for pulling stuff together and hitting viral proc before Dread Heart... I think this will do nicely...

3 minutes ago, GPrime96 said:

*Sees Adaptation and Rage*

Yeah you’re not getting a post from me.

Ooh toxic.

Instead of spewing crap like that why not tell me why I shouldn't be using those mods in tandem?

Actually if this post is anything to go by I probably don't want to hear anything you have to say either :)

35 minutes ago, Dualice said:

Ooh toxic.

Instead of spewing crap like that why not tell me why I shouldn't be using those mods in tandem?

Actually if this post is anything to go by I probably don't want to hear anything you have to say either :)

I don't play Garuda that much so not sure if you need Adaptation to help survive, you can generate your own energy from your 3rd skill Bloodletting so not sure why you need Rage on there.

Garuda is one of the most well balanced frames out there. I play mine with 0 rank Adaption and have loads of fun with it. 

Her 4 I use to hover in the air and apply bleed procs to everything, which also functions as cc. Then I use my Dual Skana, Braton MK1 and Afuris to deal more damage and apply more paper cuts which bleed everything dry. 

29 minutes ago, YazMatazO said:

Garuda is one of the most well balanced frames out there. I play mine with 0 rank Adaption and have loads of fun with it. 

Her 4 I use to hover in the air and apply bleed procs to everything, which also functions as cc. Then I use my Dual Skana, Braton MK1 and Afuris to deal more damage and apply more paper cuts which bleed everything dry. 

r0 Adaptation you only get 5% chance resistance to that damage type for 10s does it activate much. 

Wouldn't it be better with another mod in there. Though 5% for 10s V's 10% for 20s I guess you have higher points capacity for your frame.

9 minutes ago, Slayer-. said:

r0 Adaptation you only get 5% chance resistance to that damage type for 10s does it activate much. 

Wouldn't it be better with another mod in there. Though 5% for 10s V's 10% for 20s I guess you have higher points capacity for your frame.

Rank 0 Adaptation stacks to it's maximum, regardless. It just requires you to be more careful getting there. It's much more balanced then max rank, and I actually think that this should be one those mods that can't be upgraded. It's rank 0 state is strong enough. 

I have plenty of capacity left after that, regardless. I use rank 0 Adaptation deliberately. 

6 minutes ago, YazMatazO said:

Rank 0 Adaptation stacks to it's maximum, regardless. It just requires you to be more careful getting there. It's much more balanced then max rank, and I actually think that this should be one those mods that can't be upgraded. It's rank 0 state is strong enough. 

I have plenty of capacity left after that, regardless. I use rank 0 Adaptation deliberately. 

Thank you I have a few and never really tried one of my r0.

IMO she isn't really fun to play with all her casting and waiting, until at least the Steel Path, where the KPS evens out. This is the best build I've found for her.

99e7617b34aea3156668c07adba448f8b06b8a7b

I'd probably prefer Brief Respite or Rejuvenation in the aura, and Cunning Drift for the exilus.

• Combat Loop
    • Cast 1
    • Cast 4
    • Throw 1
  • Other things you do
    • Need EHP, cast Pillage
    • Need energy, cast 3
    • Need health for 3, use Life Strike, Magus Elevate, Winds of Purity, Rejuv', etc...

Feel free to ask if you want the reasoning for anything.

The fact that her melee shreds things doesn't really invalidate her other abilities, any more than any melee weapon invalidates things.  Kind of an odd point to make, since it's like asking "why use guns when melee works fine?" which, if that's your playstyle, sure.  Her 4 is there to provide a boon to anything and everything in your squad's arsenal.  Try to think of the possibilities, rather than ask "why?" Guaranteed slash procs on the absolute stupidest things you can come up with, either for great effect, or for just dumb jokes.  It works with anything, from abilities to weapons.  It might seem a bit lack luster in lower level content where enemies die from bumping into your frame, but in higher level content it's great to stand behind an unbreakable shield, blasting enemies with a high damage, high crit weapon that now has guaranteed slash procs.

Also, for really low level content, like a Lith fissure, she can speed run through spread out enemies like a nuke frame can because the ability seeks targets through terrain.

Archived