Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

SUGGESTION - Dedicated Servers

Rovaeden

SUGGESTION - Dedicated Servers

As the title suggests, I think it is high time for DE to open a dedicated server farm.
Speaking of farms, I think they probably have enough players now and have therefore farmed enough plat from us to easily afford to set up some dedicated servers.

Replies about the costs and disadvantages incoming... Not that I am 100% against them.

But at this point in time, not counting stuff like crossplay/crossave, I feel like the lack of dedicated servers is one of the main things holding Warframe back.

Sure, it'd be costly, but so it is for all other titles which implement such a feature. And my greatest hope is that the lack of host migrations and other such nasty situations keeps the player count at levels which allow for those dedicated servers to pay for themselves.

Still, I'm not an expert by any means, so while I agree in terms of hopes and feelings, that's all I can do to support such an ideal.

DE staff: It has been suggested that we divert a portion of our income to renting and managing dedicated servers! Of course will have to completely rewrite our netcode from scratch as well but we can bear the cost, time and content drought it will cause right?

DE upper management:

Bugs Bunny's "No": blank meme template

1 minute ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Phoenix Labs

are you... are you comparing Dauntless to... well... ANYTHING that is a full game? and... and... you... wow. you don't even see how having less players would also keep the costs low? it's... mindblowing.

anyway, no, with millions of players the fraction of whales cannot pay for dedicated servers AND maintain DE as a developer that develops and improves the game.

4 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

explain to me how Phoenix Labs started and still runs dedicated servers

Oh, easy; They started with dedicated servers and didn't spend eight years running, writing and updating a game on P2P first.

When you make the decision to start a game for a mass online audience, there's two routes; P2P and Dedicated Servers.

Each have advantages and disadvantages, the thing to consider is simply that once you have your entire game up and running on one it takes massive amounts of work to change it to the other.

Dauntless, for example, could switch all of their game to P2P if they wanted to, same as DE could switch to dedicated. Neither would be able to do it without diverting the vast majority of their time and resources to recoding their game to that format and both would have to fully take down their game and re-release it once it was recoded, with potentially huge amounts of down-time and guaranteed huge amounts of bugs and exploits popping up when they do.

Imagine you want to go to another country (in this pandemic? Really? For now, just imagine) and you bought a ticket to go there by Cruise Ship. You have the choice, all the way up to the check-in desk to pick which Cruise company you go with, which ship you get on. You can change your mind and buy new tickets if you have to, it might delay you, but you can do that. However, once you're on the ship and cruising, you can't suddenly decide to get on another one. That takes you either getting to a place where you can get off the ship and wait for another, taking a short holiday in the place you stopped, or it takes paying to go back to where you started and beginning again after that delay.

It's possible to switch from P2P to Dedicated, yes, but it's never easy or desirable for the company once it has years and years of progress on P2P, nor for the people that helped pay for the company to do it.

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)TyeGoo said:

Your text makes it sound like something like that never happened in the gaming industry,

Oh no, it has happened, that's how we know it's unlikely here. We know what's involved.

Tencent know what's involved. If they want to pump money into it to get it done, sure they will. The question is, will Warframe earn them back any more money if they do?

Probably not. Warframe is fairly steady and will take something more than just under-the-hood work to get it to be better performing.

On the other hand, will Warframe lose money while the change is happening? Guaranteed. They will lose players by the thousands, just as they did while the previous content drought was going.

So where is that incentive?

On the one hand, making the game more stable retains more players on a month-to-month basis, so gets consistent revenue. On the other hand, to get there, they have to shoot themselves in the foot and heal from it.

As a contrast, leaving the game P2P and dedicating all that time and money into making quests, frames, weapons, events, actual content? That will get them more money without that trouble. And because of actual content and regular updates they will retain more players overall and keep those players buying plat to cut the grind out.

8 hours ago, Rovaeden said:

I think they probably have enough players

The reality of matter is, they won't do that because of how warframe has begun to get less and less income every year and such an investment has too much risk involved which from a business standpoint is a bad idea, and thus i really doubt it happening unless something major happens and VASTLY increases player interest in warframe.

But if somehow player interest actually does increase they 100% have the ability to start it, but it must be worth the risk by having a significantly increasing interest in the game.

I highly doubt DE are struggling for money given number of players + Plat in the economy.

I wonder if DE could create dedicated servers AND p2p to pick up overflow to make sure the dedicated servers didnt bog down. That would allow them to start small and scale over time.
They have to already have some dedicated servers to broker connections so I dont see why they cant expand on that to get rid of some of the more pervasive and annoying P2P issues, like host lag as if that player is hosting from the moon and host migration to name two off the top of my head.

Warframe already has the standard client to server networking, but your experience is not very pleasant because getting a good host computer is a gamble. Dedicated servers are aimed to solve this because you are guaranteed to get a server that can actually Host the session, not some guy with a computer that is not computationally stronger than a potato.

They could try slowly implement Dedicated Servers to Open World session first as a stress test to see if Dedicated Servers actually worth the hassle and money. If player reception are positive them they can branch out to standard missions as well.

The option to host your own session should not go away as an alternative if the servers are full.

On 2021-01-08 at 4:04 PM, Birdframe_Prime said:

Oh, easy; They started with dedicated servers and didn't spend eight years running, writing and updating a game on P2P first.

Or you can look at it this way: it's been eight years and DE still can't make P2P function properly.

5 minutes ago, Kefirno said:

Or you can look at it this way: it's been eight years and DE still can't make P2P function properly.

Nobody can. Because it's dependent on the users, not them.

Connection issues with your host are literally connection issues with another player, and no company can actually compensate for that.

It is, however, the only route you can go with if you're doing a desperate, last gasp attempt with no money, no publisher and no investors behind you. Which DE famously had to do.

The other possibility is, publish a server app ( just for communication between players ( a gateway )) and it's players paid for a dedicate server ! The app should be like the pvp dedicate server option in the launcher with same options for who can use it ! To secure this, player need to do a request ( like for creator system ) to apply a whitelist system like for testing servers ! I think it's a good solution to delete a lot of bad host 🙄.

Archived