Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My Thought On The Gradivus Dilemma. What Is Right, What Is Wrong.

Brynslustafir

I don't think there's any doubt that this is the largest event Warframe has had so far. Both in scope and in importance. The winning side determines what set of weapons we get, and whether or not the Corpus are left with 1 less planet. But the event so far has been far from perfect. I feel that several things have been handled poorly or downright incorrectly, and that's what I'm here to discuss. We'll start with the Negatives. 

1) Battle Pay:

Personally, I think having battle pay was a bad idea. Competition events like this should be all about the end reward, so having each side offering different resources or cash rewards on each mission serves no purpose other than to complicate peoples choices and unfortunately give one side an immediate advantage over the other, thus Skewing the entire event. To be more specific, having the Grineer offering better rewards at the start allowed them to build up momentum before the Corpus could get their footing and start putting up a fight. If you really must have battle pay, make it the same for each side. It's the only fair way to do it. 

2) Forcing players to pick a side without giving them the specifcations and stats of each weapon:

I personally HATE going into things like this without knowing enough about what I'm going to get in the end. All I have to go on right now is my personal experience with both the Machete and the Prova. But this knowlege isn't of much use to me since the new Machete is now a Wraith Weapon and the new Prova is now a Vandal Weapon. I can only assume that they are both equally good, but not having the exact same Pros and Cons, but there is no way for me to know for certain which one I want unless DE shows us the stats for each weapon. The same goes for the Detron and the Brakk. All we know is that they are rather large for pistols and are Classified as "Hand Cannons", which gives the impression that they will both pack a mean punch. But I still don't like picking a side without knowing the exact stats of each weapon. If weapon A is more accurate than weapon B but weapon B is slighly more powerful than weapon A, I'll personally opt for weapon A. But there's no way for me to know if I'm getting the gun I want unless I can see the stats. 

3) Giving everyone the same weapons in the end regardless of who they fought for:

The entire point of having the Grineer and the Corpus offering different weapons was to force players to pick a side, yes? So why on earth would you make everyone recieve the same rewards in the end? The community is very clearly divided on which set of weapons they want, so giving everyone the same rewards in the end is just going to cause more problems than it solves. I suggest giving Corpus supporters the Detron and the Prova Vandal While giving the Grineer Supporters the Brakk and Machete Wraith. That way everyone's happy and we can stop mocking each other based on what side we chose. 

Alright, that's all of the big problems that I've found. Now lets look at the good parts of this event. 

1) Medium-Large scale battles between the Grineer and the Corpus that remind me of Star Wars Battlefront:

Anything that brings back a good memory is a good thing in my book, and I'd like to see this mission type remain in the game, but not necessarily being linked to an event. For instance, you could have a mission type where you help the Grineer fight the Infested on Jupiter, but without the consequence of the Grineer taking over the location. 

2) Giving us a figure we can recognize as the leader of the Corpus:

Previosly, all the noteable Corpus figures were reskins of normal Corpus crewmembers or more complex proxies. But now we have a figure that we can really recognize as the Leader. 

So what do you guys think? What would you change or keep, and how do you feel about the event in general?

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Just so you know, I'll be restarting this thread after the event ends under the title "Everything that was wrong with the Gradivus Dilemma".

Edited by Plasmaface

3) Giving everyone the same weapons in the end regardless of who they fought for:

I can see why you might call that a disadvantage, but for me, it's something of a plus. My clan's running Corpus missions, and even though I would love to get the Machete Wraith (those reds match my color scheme perfectly), I'm sticking with them; so long as the Grineer win, it doesn't really matter to me what side I was on... although it is pretty cool that I can get a Triforce shoulder emblem instead of the Grineer flag, while still possibly getting the rewards I wanted from the other faction.

My main grief is the fact this event promotes rushing again.

It's really an elaborate exterminate mission, nothing more. It's very redundant and despite the awesome rewards and mission pay, this offers nothing new to discover, except for the new map, which does look great where the ships meet.

I'm sure to newer players the mission pay alone must be awesome. But that doesn't make the mission less boring. Actually most of my clan members can't be bothered doing more then 5 runs even for good rewards. Why so "grindy" again ?

I'm just confused about this event. Instead of making us choose a side, why not just let us put an end to the conflict by stopping BOTH sides from accomplishing their goals ? This feels unnecessarily awkward and forced upon us. Also except for the level design where the ships meet, the mission itself really lacks creativity. Exterminate over and over ... Then at least let us exterminate ALL troublemakers ; )

I feel more and more like a mercenary ...

I agree with your negative #3 and positive #2, Plasmaface.

I'd like to see this mission type remain in the game, but not necessarily being linked to an event. For instance, you could have a mission type where you help the Grineer fight the Infested on Jupiter, but without the consequence of the Grineer taking over the location. 

My personal preference would be to see this dynamically applied to the entire standard game, so that each faction has offensive and defensive fronts, with invasions popping up behind the lines to prevent stalemates. With the planets linked as they are, the potential is awe inspiring.

I would rather not see these fights remain pure extermination missions, though.

Agreed on negative points 1-3.  While I do like my phat lewt, the rewards offered tend to heavily skewed towards Grineer initially.  This is not really up to players choices anymore, this is only an illusion of choice.  Why would I want to screw myself out of a good Orokin Reactor?  I'm also unhappy that DE chose not to disclose the stats on the new weapons.  Not sure if it was a design decision they made, but why make player decisions harder by hiding the numbers?  My only measuring sticks for the weapon are ver 1 Machete and Prova, hardly good indicators as already mentioned.  Point 3 is already self-explanatory.

Just to add on to the suggestions, if you are going for fun fun FUN event that won't make the game made of so much grind...  Set your max tier award down to something more reasonable.  For this event, I'd say 25.  Why 25?  First 10 runs already give players plenty time to investigate and explore your new environments and mechanics.  Anything afterwards will start to go sour very very quickly.  It goes sour very quick because there is no variation to this event.  It is only 1 type of gameplay (Exterminate,) on 1 type of tileset (Mars,) has some incredibly common resources (Alloy, Control Modules,) and same type of enemies.  Even if you chose to space this event out in the course of a week, people like me who wants to quickly close the deal will rush.  (There have been precedents of events closing early, better not risk it mentality.)  By golly we will rush so hard we will get so sick of this game.  AHA!  Sick of this game, yes.  Not so good for business.  Even with enticing battleplay rewards such as Orokin Reactors, the process of getting to them is making the players tired of the gameplay.  You are hastening the burn out process with this event.  

Here's what I like about the event:

Invasions.  Cool, I can see Corpus/Grineer kicking the crap out of each other. 

Tier reward idea.  Some new weapons that might come with its own slot, very nice.

The idea of having either Corpus/Grineer on your side.  I like seeing Corpus get stun locked to death or Grineer Heavygunner getting MOAed.

The idea of players having an influence on lore

What I personally hate about the event:

Exterminate missions.  These usually bug out with enemy spawns or that ONE lousy enemy stuck somewhere unseen/unreachable by most frames.

The number required to get top tier rewards.  This is promoting grinding (and rushing,) not the reverse. 

Not have this event expand to other maps. I'm so sick of seeing the same tile over and over.

The illusion of player choice and lore influence when the battle play rewards are easily skewed towards Grineer.

Still no infested event :(

What I wanedt to see in this event:

Boss battle if it is done well.

Actually, make that a slap fight between faction bosses.

I really agree on your point of view on the battle pay and the endgame rewards system, is there any way to suggest this to the developers so that half of the population doesn't freak out in horror and rage?

I personally despise grenade/rocket launchers as well as just the aesthetics of Grineer weapons, and since they are more than likely going to win I'm rather desperate.

Edited by Sylverblu

I really agree on your point of view on the battle pay and the endgame rewards system, is there any way to suggest this to the developers so that half of the population doesn't freak out in horror and rage?

I personally despise grenade/rocket launchers as well as just the aesthetics of Grineer weapons, and since they are more than likely going to win I'm rather desperate.

I'm afraid not. They don't just listen to random people. 

Edited by Plasmaface

Agreed on negative points 1-3.  While I do like my phat lewt, the rewards offered tend to heavily skewed towards Grineer initially.  This is not really up to players choices anymore, this is only an illusion of choice.  Why would I want to screw myself out of a good Orokin Reactor?  I'm also unhappy that DE chose not to disclose the stats on the new weapons.  Not sure if it was a design decision they made, but why make player decisions harder by hiding the numbers?  My only measuring sticks for the weapon are ver 1 Machete and Prova, hardly good indicators as already mentioned.  Point 3 is already self-explanatory.

Just to add on to the suggestions, if you are going for fun fun FUN event that won't make the game made of so much grind...  Set your max tier award down to something more reasonable.  For this event, I'd say 25.  Why 25?  First 10 runs already give players plenty time to investigate and explore your new environments and mechanics.  Anything afterwards will start to go sour very very quickly.  It goes sour very quick because there is no variation to this event.  It is only 1 type of gameplay (Exterminate,) on 1 type of tileset (Mars,) has some incredibly common resources (Alloy, Control Modules,) and same type of enemies.  Even if you chose to space this event out in the course of a week, people like me who wants to quickly close the deal will rush.  (There have been precedents of events closing early, better not risk it mentality.)  By golly we will rush so hard we will get so sick of this game.  AHA!  Sick of this game, yes.  Not so good for business.  Even with enticing battleplay rewards such as Orokin Reactors, the process of getting to them is making the players tired of the gameplay.  You are hastening the burn out process with this event.  

Here's what I like about the event:

Invasions.  Cool, I can see Corpus/Grineer kicking the crap out of each other. 

Tier reward idea.  Some new weapons that might come with its own slot, very nice.

The idea of having either Corpus/Grineer on your side.  I like seeing Corpus get stun locked to death or Grineer Heavygunner getting MOAed.

The idea of players having an influence on lore

What I personally hate about the event:

Exterminate missions.  These usually bug out with enemy spawns or that ONE lousy enemy stuck somewhere unseen/unreachable by most frames.

The number required to get top tier rewards.  This is promoting grinding (and rushing,) not the reverse. 

Not have this event expand to other maps. I'm so sick of seeing the same tile over and over.

The illusion of player choice and lore influence when the battle play rewards are easily skewed towards Grineer.

Still no infested event :(

What I wanedt to see in this event:

Boss battle if it is done well.

Actually, make that a slap fight between faction bosses.

Glad to see someone with virtually the same opinions.