Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Questionnaire] How do you feel about Riven Mods?

di0n08O8

Hello Tenno!

Recently, I've started really thinking about where I'd personally like Warframe to go in the future, which also made me wonder how others think about those topics. One thing I keep getting stuck on are Riven Mods. In almost any addition or change that I'd like to see, they kind of throw a spanner in the works. This doesn't mean they're bad, but it is important to realize that they have a big impact on the game. This is why I've made a questionnaire about it. I'm curious to see how others think about them and if there is a correlation between opinion and platform or MR.

It's also a fun experiment to see if I can collect and process data properly. I'll post the results in a few days time, so keep an eye out for that if you're interested.

If you want to help, here's the link to the questionnaire. It's a Google Form that is 6 questions long, so it'll only take a few minutes to fill in.

If you do take the time to fill it in, thank you very much.

EDIT: I have closed the questionnaire. I will process the data and post a link with the results shortly.

EDIT 2: Results are up here!

I'd like to toss them in a sack and throw the sack in a river and hurl the river out into space. 

Rivens for my mind should never have had the ability to increase the power of a weapon, back when they were first teased, I thought they would be what we now have, an Exilus mod that cost no mod capacity to encourage us to use them, with cool modifiers that would allow us to tailor a weapon specifically to our playstyle, making them not only more fun to use but UNIQUE. For example,

"gain a 30% speedbuff after 3 consecutive headshots"
"20 seconds invisibilty after killing 5 enemies without reloading"

Silly stuff, small stuff, NOT POWER CREEP. Not this awful thing that they've become.

I don't care about them much.

Tho I have to say, they are doing everything they shouldn't. As in the purpose of the rivens was to boost less used weak weapons but that's exactly what no one uses them for.

And before you type "jhcak youre retrard Iam uhse tshem". Good for you. But most ppl only care to boost already powerful weapons with riven mods. A few exceptions won't disprove that.

17 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

"20 seconds invisibilty after killing 5 enemies without reloading"

Silly stuff, small stuff, NOT POWER CREEP. Not this awful thing that they've become.

How is this not power creep? You're basically just asking for Naramon Shadow Step on all your guns.

Riven Mods increasing weapon performance is fine. The problem is how DE treats them and how DE treats players who farm for a good one. DE can easily make changes to make them more enjoyable to invest into without ruining the structure they have as randomized mods. They are purely luxury as well, especially since Warframe Revised trivialized combat in the game.

what I feel is that it will be open and disappoint me .... and when I see that I have some kuva left, I roll it ... even though I know that something horrible will come ... and then that feeling comes ... .best to log out of the warframe.

13 minutes ago, Voltage said:

How is this not power creep? You're basically just asking for Naramon Shadow Step on all your guns.

Riven Mods increasing weapon performance is fine. The problem is how DE treats them and how DE treats players who farm for a good one. DE can easily make changes to make them more enjoyable to invest into without ruining the structure they have as randomized mods. They are purely luxury as well, especially since Warframe Revised trivialized combat in the game.

It's not the same thing and you know it. I gave 2 small examples and you decided to pounce on it, that's just silly.

I completely disagree, we don't need more power creep and we haven't for a long time now. 

The issue isn't rivens itself, the issue is how weapons works.

For example Kuva Nukor has a 0.5 riven disposition can easily melt steel path grineers, but a normal Kraken with 1.53 riven disposition can barely do any damage to level 100 units (don't tell me stacking buffs). They should change some of the weapons to the point that they are actually usable even without a riven.

2 minutes ago, -CdG-Zilchy said:

It's not the same thing and you know it. I gave 2 small examples and you decided to pounce on it, that's just silly.

I completely disagree, we don't need more power creep and we haven't for a long time now. 

You're right, invisibility is way more overpowered than a slight DPS increase on a weapon.

The largest contributors to power creep are not Riven Mods though. If your aim is to reduce power creep, changing Rivens would have almost no effect. Warframe Revised, the Helminth system, and brainless mechanics such as Arquebex, pre-nerf Whipclaw, stat sticks, and more are the real problem here.

9 minutes ago, Voltage said:

You're right, invisibility is way more overpowered than a slight DPS increase on a weapon.

The largest contributors to power creep are not Riven Mods though. If your aim is to reduce power creep, changing Rivens would have almost no effect. Warframe Revised, the Helminth system, and brainless mechanics such as Arquebex, pre-nerf Whipclaw, stat sticks, and more are the real problem here.

I have no interest in a petty squabble over such a small point, I could've made any example and you would've found a way to nit-pick it because that's your mindset and that's on you.

So on to more interesting discussion, the second point. I firmly believe that since Operators were introduced, Warframe went from being "very easy to survive" to "entirely trivial". But if we go back far enough, it started with Primed mods and the power creep has just increased bit by bit since then, often unintentionally by DE as you and I both know, they know much less about their game mechanics than some players, often leading to new mods becoming BiS and each time that happens our average power increases. I do agree with you that brainless mechanics, press 4 to win abilities etc are a big problem but I don't agree that rivens aren't just straight up power creep. Stat sticks are currently an accidental bug that was left in and shouldn't have been. As for the Arquebex,... I have literally no clue how a team that is soooo adamant on nerfing anything OP, allowed that one to slip through the cracks. Literally dumbfounded by that since release.

I also think that rivens would be a lot better received if it weren't for new players falling hook line and sinker for thinking they need a shiny riven that they should spend 1000s of plat on while the whales prey on them without possessing a conscience. The amount of times I've seen in chat "man this weapon sucks, I really need a riven" NO you don't you need to learn how to mod it and how to put it to best use. As it stands, rivens are responsible for the most toxic thing in warframe, the traders dealing in them. And for that reason I wish they'd just be removed although I realise this is not possible.

I've faced enemies that were far beyond sortie 3 levels without riven.  I don't think they're as game breaking as people make them out to be, except in niche content, like eidolons.  There's a good bit of difference between a regular sniper and a sniper with a great riven on it for that content.  But I don't see them as this huge mistake, though I think they were implemented poorly.  

I think no matter what you do with rivens or mods in general, there are going to be mandatory stats as long as weapon balance and modding stays the way it is.  If rivens only had utility stats on them DE would just release more Trumnas and Sepulcrums so that utility mods were mandatory for the weapons to not feel like trash.  As long as they keep balancing to try and make mods mandatory, and keep the balance of the combat and the grind so that kill speed is priority 1, 2 and 3, we're going to have the same issues we have now, rivens or not.

I think they need to address the fact that rivens don't currently do anything to fix really bad weapons like they were allegedly intended to do.  I think they need to do that without nerfing the top end and screwing over people's investments.  I think they need to rethink the popularity system entirely.  They should remove the completely useless stats they currently can roll (anything outside damage and a couple of the current utility stats.) and replace them with better, more varied utility stats.

I don't have a strong opinion on them, although I don't think they should be tradable. People make them cost too much and then we have dramas when DE decide to adjust disposition.

Making weaker weapons perform better was a nice idea, how it turned out is a different story.

I don't feel like riven deserve the hate they get.

Low disposition riven are meh, the weapon is popular, its more "viable", it doesn't need additional clutch. But high disposition riven with bonkers number can make a weapon you rarely touch turn into a fun machine. Just got my hand on a 200% multishot Kulstar, and with the help of Mirage, along with the latest primed fulmination, and add in magnum force... it was fun.

-

Do they need to be removed? I don't think so. Is it a good addition to the game? Hell yea.

I mean, it was never mandatory in the first place. Almost 90% of what I often use doesn't even need or have a riven on them.

My take on Rivens -

• Are not worth using on some weapons due to the weapon being just underpowered even at max disposition.
    • This could be solved by uncapping the upper limit on dispositions so all the weapons with a solid 5 disposition can increase until they gain player usage- example Flux Rifle/ Tetra/ Aklato
  • They can however make some weapons stupidly strong.
    • These weapons normally have a usability issue that makes them unpopular... example - Torid horrible firerate, Synapse - low range.
  • Fill the gap where there are some missing primed/nightmare mods.
    • Want to try high critical chance on a shotgun? Your not getting it with out a riven.
    • Arch gun standard mods in general have low values to begin with so a riven can be worth using even with low values.
  • Allow additional customisation when multiple things are wanted but mod space is not there higher mag capacity, better reload, reduced zoom, firerate etc.
    • After levelling everything, farming everything - trying out an old weapon with a new riven is basically it between content updates.

Archived