I was reading stuff about Warhammer Vermintide 2 had variants of different classes/characters  for replayability and thought, why don't we have like 3 variants of each warframe? It can be either to suit different missions or just an incentive to farm the frame again or just for the dressy barbie doll stuff.

Consider that Vermintide 2 only has 5 base classes, with less than 20 variants between them.

Warframe has 45 classes (and with Wraithe incoming that will go up to 46). Adding 2 more variants for each would mean they'd need to come up with 90 new powersets.

Besides, we already have Augments and the Mod system for when you want to tweak how frames play. Warframe is not hurting for variety of playstyle options (at least in theory).

Edited by Corvid
  • Like 6

Well we kinda have variants of same warframes already.

Hildryn is an Inaros but with shields.

Protea is an engineer like Vauban.

Lavos is a cc based master of elements so the opposite of Chroma

And I'm sure there are more parallels that I just can't remember.

1 hour ago, XxElite2015xX said:

I was reading stuff about Warhammer Vermintide 2 had variants of different classes/characters  for replayability and thought, why don't we have like 3 variants of each warframe? It can be either to suit different missions or just an incentive to farm the frame again or just for the dressy barbie doll stuff.

we have 3 variants though the 3rd is on hold due to other projects but it was confirmed in devstream 58/125 

there is the economy (regular) version aka the normal version of frames

there is a prime version, the variant designed originally that uses orokin technology rather then cheaper materials (regular version) uses in BP recipe

prime frame visually is different and has golden effect normally along with slightly higher stats and polarities pre installed, also prime visual effects on powers and prime passive (death orb)

the description of frames to follow Excalibur Umbra are called the Umbra Warframes

A darker side to the  Prime Warframes
 Lore connections : (Warped version of Warframes)
It was initially discussed that the umbra frames would be a limited series
it was stated Umbra warframes would be a limited series, some will get Umbra variants but not all , this has not been reconfirmed however , so hopefully umbra will become a dedicated avriant series equal or close in number to the primes
(every Frame will get a prime someday, but not all frames will get an umbra) -exact phrasing by de staff 

then there is the last series which is new and was originally introduced in 2018  

this is the umbra series (aka "sentient slayer") to whats known about the current unit it has preloaded umbra polarities and "umbra mods" for its frame and specific weapon 

this frame is notably different from both prime and normal version and has an anti sentient power to debuff adaptations on sentient units. along with this a special AI mode that lets it follow operator as a specter unit 

at this time Umbra excalibur is the only unit in the Umbra series but per de he is like excalibur prime, the starting frame of this series and more will follow 

the umbra series is the parallel to the prime, aka the darkness to their light 

9 hours ago, (XBOX)ShadowBlood89 said:

DE was gonna have the warframes have both male an female versions of them but idea was scrapped early on an we got excal an nyx cause of that

Honestly just make it a cosmetic and I will be super happy. God knows the number of people who secretly want to genderbend their frame is surprisingly high. I know I want to do it.

GIVE ME FEMALE ASH DAMMIT.

• Like 1

Not a bad idea but honestly with the nature of the modding in Warframe I don't see the need. Maybe there could be exclusive skin variants unlocked though some means that reward using different playstyles but full variants of the frames themselves is unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Tsuana said:

Honestly just make it a cosmetic and I will be super happy. God knows the number of people who secretly want to genderbend their frame is surprisingly high. I know I want to do it.

GIVE ME FEMALE ASH DAMMIT.

oh my god YES

give me female grendel or give me death!

While in theory this may be a "cool" idea, in practice it's absurd. It takes months to come out with a single frame, imagine if it was triple that? Not to mention every frame in game already. Equinox is essentially this idea anyway and we have similar type frames (if now actual variants anyway like umbra and primes) as some people already said. Most of the variants would likely be either garbage or completely irrelevant/boring too so everyone would likely use one type anyway.

Well Garuda is kind of a Valkyr Variant. If there was more, it would a Warframe version of Bloody Mary and Jigsaw since Elizabeth Bathory suppose to resemble Garuda.