Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mimic | The copy-cat warframe

DriftPrimed

Warning, this thread talks about helminth, so if you have not encountered or dealt with helminth before, read at your own risk of being spoiled

This idea of a copy-ability warframe has been in my mind forever, even before helminth was a thing where a warframe could copy other frames abilities and use it for themselves. My inspiration is from another game called Maplestory in which they had a character called Phantom. This character had the ability to copy other characters abilities and use it as his own by click on the character and choosing it for that skill slot (much like warframe, characters had 4 levels of abilities aka skills so depending on which level it was, it would be copied). With helminth being a thing now, its the perfect time to recommend this character.

Passive: In order for this to work, Mimic  should only have one ability that is unique to him which I will explain below. As for the other 3 abilities, the player could choose which ones they want by using the abilities they got from helminth via the arsenal (click on the abilities tab of Mimic and choose which ones from there). These can be changed later in mission depending on which warframe is on the team. If none are chosen, the abilities will be empty and he will not be able to use the abilities until he uses copy.

1st ability: Copy - (short press) Aim a reticle at another warframe then press 2, 3, or 4 to copy the ability to the warframe. The ability that is copied is the ability that can be obtained from helminth. For example, if the player short presses 1 then clicks 2 while aiming at a rhino, the 2nd ability becomes Roar since that is the ability you can get from helminth. There should be a short cooldown of 5 sec so the player cannot spam the ability. This ability has no energy and functions with cooldown.

-(long press) When holding long press, the player clicks 2, 3, or 4 to have that ability randomly become a helminth ability. For example, the player long presses 1 then clicks 3 and gets nidus's larva ability. A cooldown of 20 seconds should apply which incentivizes the player to either copy other frames in that mission or choose his abilities before going in. This ability has no energy and functions with cooldown.

2nd through 4th abilities: Like I mentioned above, the player will either have these abilities locked (be blank) or have them as pre-determined helminth abilities. Each ability should have a 5 second cooldown before being used which challenges the player on whether they should switch or not. These abilities will use energy unlike the first ability.

Mimic therefore can be used in two ways: Build him exactly as you want with the helminth abilities you unlocked (a good incentive to get helminth to max level) or a constantly changing playstyle frame where your abilities are different every mission depending on the frames in that mission and which ability you get from the long press. I am not sure how much armor, health, shield, and energy to give him, but the idea of Mimic is something I really hope gets put in. Helminth is a real game changer when it comes to warframe builds and having a warframe that hugely depends on helminth would be awesome. I am also not sure on the backstory of the frame. He could either have no real backstory, or his backstory could be something to do with helminth. Let me know what you think!

This isn't a good use of the helminth system so far as a Warframe's kit goes. In Mimic's case, the helminth system isn't used to supplement his kit, but instead to replace his kit entirely. Having a kit with 3 original abilities and 1 that interacts with the helminth system is way more interesting.

Consider how useless his niche would be in solo play with only the 3 pre-determined helminth abilities and an unreliable hold cast on his 1st ability.

11 hours ago, DriftPrimed said:

Build him exactly as you want with the helminth abilities you unlocked (a good incentive to get helminth to max level) or a constantly changing playstyle frame where your abilities are different every mission depending on the frames in that mission and which ability you get from the long press.

This doesn't seem to incentivize maxing the helminth system. If anything, it seems to incentivize acquiring "good" helminth abilities and ignoring the "bad" ones to increase the likelihood of getting a "good" ability with the 1st hold cast. Players with all the helminth abilities unlocked are at a significant disadvantage compared to players with only "good" abilities unlocked due to the rng mechanics of the hold cast. 

Here are some good examples of Warframe concepts using the helminth system;

In both of the above concepts the use of the helminth system is to add to the existing kit, not to replace a kit. Not to say these are the only two valid ways of using the helminth system, but taking it to extremes just doesn't seem to work (i.e. having 3 helminth abilities).

Archived