Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy Variety

TeaHands

Has DE ever shown any interest of moving some of the enemies more unique to certain modes over to the general game? Like I really enjoy fighting the different enemies from the Index and it would be great to see them in the regular corpus tileset. But maybe just make them Eximus only? This stems from me realizing all the new infected they showcased for Deimos were going to be exclusive to the open world, I'm just a lil late on bringing this to a forum lol. I was hoping to see most of the new additions getting added to infested tilesets since the current enemy variety gets a lil monotonous. But most likely I'm assuming all these enemies are going to stay in their respective modes. Didn't know if anyone saw anything saying otherwise. Also, are there any enemies you would like to see added to the rest of the map? I would love to see a corrupted Dax enemy get added to the void tileset since they protected the Orokin and may have gotten left behind.  We already got to fight a Dax and it would be fun to fight more of the space samurai. Though that might break the lore. 

Personally I like that Deimos Open World has its own varients and I think it's best to stay that way. 

Plains was somewhat a boring release enemywise, other than the teralyst, there were no new enemies. Fortuna and Cambian were great due to their change in enemy tipes. (Ghouls did add a bit to plains)

I think it would be nice to have more variations per planet of all types of enemies.  Corpus seem to be doing well with this, they have: normal, Gas city and corpus ship already. Different demolysts also show off the diversity a bit. 

If anyone needs more variety, I think it's the grineer. And I think it should be a bit like the corpus where certain sections  have a different section of grineer (that isn't just a different colour)

Current count: 

Corpus: 3 types

Grineer: 2 types (Ghouls too rare to really make it feel like 2 types)

Infested: 2 types (you will always encounter the special infested on Cambian Drift)

Sentient: 3 types (normal spawns such as lua, railjack and event, 3 will likely become 2)

I suppose diluted versions of Rathuum Executioners and Index Fighters would be an easy and decent addition. I also wouldn't mind them bringing back forgotten enemies like Datalysts and making Nightwatch enemies a part of the main game, not just having them appear in the odd event.

they did a decent job of Deimos enemies, finally some interesting and more intimidating Infested. the new Sentients in orphix Venom sound like fun too!

1 hour ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

i wouldn't mind some of the new infested being in normal tilesets but i think there's an actual lore reason behind that

The ones on Deimos are part of the "Grey Strain" of Infestation. 

Besides them, all we have are basic infested and the Mutalist Strain (Moas, Broodmothers, Boilers and Ospreys). Though, these ones beside Deimos appear together so often that we view them as one type.

Maybe if the Eris Tileset gets a rework in the future, maybe we'll see a new type of Infested to accompany it. 

14 hours ago, PhiThagRaid said:

Personally I like that Deimos Open World has its own varients and I think it's best to stay that way. 

Plains was somewhat a boring release enemywise, other than the teralyst, there were no new enemies. Fortuna and Cambian were great due to their change in enemy tipes. (Ghouls did add a bit to plains)

I think it would be nice to have more variations per planet of all types of enemies.  Corpus seem to be doing well with this, they have: normal, Gas city and corpus ship already. Different demolysts also show off the diversity a bit. 

If anyone needs more variety, I think it's the grineer. And I think it should be a bit like the corpus where certain sections  have a different section of grineer (that isn't just a different colour)

Current count: 

Corpus: 3 types

Grineer: 2 types (Ghouls too rare to really make it feel like 2 types)

Infested: 2 types (you will always encounter the special infested on Cambian Drift)

Sentient: 3 types (normal spawns such as lua, railjack and event, 3 will likely become 2)

Very good point on the Grineer, they definitely deserve some love for their enemy types and also their tilesets. And yeah, I guess it would take away from their open world if their enemies weren't as unique. Though a little strange they aren't in the derelict sections of Deimos, but maybe I missed something on that.

3 hours ago, Hierarch777 said:

Besides them, all we have are basic infested and the Mutalist Strain (Moas, Broodmothers, Boilers and Ospreys). Though, these ones beside Deimos appear together so often that we view them as one type.

Maybe if the Eris Tileset gets a rework in the future, maybe we'll see a new type of Infested to accompany it. 

yeah that would be cool, hopefully it would make the strains storyline more obvious too

On 2021-01-12 at 2:51 PM, PhiThagRaid said:

Plains was somewhat a boring release enemywise, other than the teralyst, there were no new enemies. 

If you could the Vallis enemies as unique, then Mortar Bombards and Dargyns/Dargyn Pilots both qualify. Mortars start with a pistol, but can crouch down to lob bombs, and bombs that act completely unlike standard Bombards. Pilots, of course, can both take to the air to shoot you from above, and then get knocked back out of the air to try and shoot you with pistols

15 hours ago, TomCruisesSon said:

Very good point on the Grineer, they definitely deserve some love for their enemy types and also their tilesets. And yeah, I guess it would take away from their open world if their enemies weren't as unique. Though a little strange they aren't in the derelict sections of Deimos, but maybe I missed something on that.

I thought about the derelicts too but remembered they belong to the Eris, Arlo strain. Between the helminth, mutalist, grey and Arlo strains, we could see an infested strain war.

Plains was somewhat a boring release enemywise, other than the teralyst, there were no new enemies.

The Mortar Bombards are new, I would say. We all got used to their heat-seeking rockets but then the mortars fall out of the sky. Also, the Reavers aren't totally new, since they are just Bailiffs, but Bailiffs are so rare elsewhere that I think they count too.

This is so weird to read because the feeling for many years (until Fortuna) was that the Grineer had all the love and the Corpus were forgotten. The Grineer had normal units, Arid units (Phobos/Mars), Frontier units (Earth), Drekar units (Uranus), Nightwatch units (very rare), Kuva units (Kuva Fortress), and Tusk units (PoE). Now, the vast majority of those were just reskins, but the Corpus literally had one type of unit, despite also possessing a variety of tilesets.

Now the Corpus have four distinct types: normal, Juno (Ship), Terra (Orb Vallis), and Vapos (Gas City). The Grineer have maybe three, four if you're generous: normal/Arid/Frontier/Drekar/Tusk (all the same), Kuva, and Ghouls. The Kuva units do have significantly different weaponry (though tactics and abilities are still the same). The Nightwatch are still cool, but they've shown up maybe two or three times total. The Empyrean units (Kosma/Gyre/Exo) are also different, due to their distinct weaponry but also due to the weird level scaling that Empyrean enemies have. However, I expect this to be replicated for the Corpus Empyrean enemies as well.

So now it does seem that the Grineer are in need of some love. However, I think this can be handled by updating the Arid/Frontier/Drekar enemies to just be truly distinct instead of using the same weapons as all the others. Give them the Terra/Vapos/Juno treatment.

On 2021-01-13 at 1:49 PM, Hierarch777 said:

This really makes me want them separated more, have the mutalist only on Eris, the grey only on deimos, the normal only on dark sector missions across the planets, for Arlo I don't think there were enough, but a small section of the star chart for them aswell.

Invasions could then do with a rework where all the strains and all the different faction varients could fight as separate entities instead of just "corpus", "grineer" and "infested".

18 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Mortar Bombards and Dargyns/Dargyn Pilots both qualify

Fair enough, dargyns did add to gameplay variation, even if based directly from the archwing version. I was not sure if vallis deserved to be counted as a separate group of enemies(as you can see when counting the types), but they felt quite different to interact with compared to normal corpus at the time. Plains on the other hand felt very similar. 

14 hours ago, GrayArchon said:

The Mortar Bombards are new, I would say. We all got used to their heat-seeking rockets but then the mortars fall out of the sky. Also, the Reavers aren't totally new, since they are just Bailiffs, but Bailiffs are so rare elsewhere that I think they count too.

This is so weird to read because the feeling for many years (until Fortuna) was that the Grineer had all the love and the Corpus were forgotten. The Grineer had normal units, Arid units (Phobos/Mars), Frontier units (Earth), Drekar units (Uranus), Nightwatch units (very rare), Kuva units (Kuva Fortress), and Tusk units (PoE). Now, the vast majority of those were just reskins, but the Corpus literally had one type of unit, despite also possessing a variety of tilesets.

Now the Corpus have four distinct types: normal, Juno (Ship), Terra (Orb Vallis), and Vapos (Gas City). The Grineer have maybe three, four if you're generous: normal/Arid/Frontier/Drekar/Tusk (all the same), Kuva, and Ghouls. The Kuva units do have significantly different weaponry (though tactics and abilities are still the same). The Nightwatch are still cool, but they've shown up maybe two or three times total. The Empyrean units (Kosma/Gyre/Exo) are also different, due to their distinct weaponry but also due to the weird level scaling that Empyrean enemies have. However, I expect this to be replicated for the Corpus Empyrean enemies as well.

So now it does seem that the Grineer are in need of some love. However, I think this can be handled by updating the Arid/Frontier/Drekar enemies to just be truly distinct instead of using the same weapons as all the others. Give them the Terra/Vapos/Juno treatment.

Yup, super weird to think that even though there were such major updates to grineer they still seemed to be somewhat lacking.

That last point is exactly where they should add onto the grineer, change those recoloured at be noticeably different. (Otherwise we might need some lore that shows that new grineer variants are much harder to produce than corpus, or more directly link specific corpus with specific corpus heads. Alad's Valos, Parvos' Juno, Nef's Terra, (the guy who made ambulace)'s Pluto. The problem is that we already have ghouls and kuva, which seem to show it can't be too difficult to grow new varients.)

55 minutes ago, BDMblue said:

I’ve thought this also. What I would do is wait until players hit wave 5 of a infinity run. At that point the game can open up what it brings into the level. Of corse this would only be mobs that work. Just too add more spice to runs.

Can you imagine steel path with the Railjack grineer popping in after wave 20+? That would be a nice change of pace.

Archived