Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Arbitration Drones are a superior mechanic to Nullifiers.

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

Nullifiers:

• Instantly remove all warframe buffs just by barely brushing up against the frame.  Go around a corner or have one spawn in a closet behind you and touch you with their bubble and even abilities that take all kinds of prep time to set up are instantly turned off.  This is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in a game.  Any game.
  • Aren't supposed to have their shield go through terrain, but still frequently do.  This lets them turn off your abilities without you even seeing them sometimes.
  • Have damage-gating on their shields so that harder hitting weapons are negated almost entirely.
  • Shield respawns almost instantly after you take it down unless you kill the drone.
  • Aside from shooting the damage-gated shield the only counterplay available to this awful mechanic is shooting the drone.  The drone has a very poor hitbox, is almost entirely immune to AOE damage like an airburst round blowing up right next to it, seems to have a huge amount of DR, and is hidden on the wrong side of the bubble most of the time because heaven forbid it just sit at the top of the bubble.
  • Also, just as a nice hearty "#*!% you." to the player, the drone has probably clipped through the ceiling or nearby wall.

Arbitration drones:

• Do not turn off your powers, they just make it so you can't kill enemies without killing them first.  
  • Only work on targets within range.  No disabling your survivability buffs through the goddamn floor.
  • Their main defense is that they're small and harder to hit, meaning skill is involved in taking them down rather than arbitrary fire rate requirements or praying the hit box for the nully drone actually works this time.  It won't.  You're going to shoot right through it.
  • You just shoot them.  Or melee them.  No insane damage gating.  No weird hitbox that barely functions.  No AOE immunity.  You just kill them before engaging whatever they were protecting.

I see people give Arby drones a lot of crap, but people seem to have gotten used to nullifiers.  I've been playing for 3 years.  I still can't stand nullifiers.

Drones are certainly only mildly annoying. I was never really bothered by Arbitration Drones. Nullifiers, to me anyways, only become really annoying during SP solo survival play due to the spawn frequency and my own loadout choices honestly. I easily could use the Miter with augment or generally choose a better combination of gear and frame but I enjoy other loadouts more at the moment that make SP Nullis harder to deal with than they should be. But again, that's my own choice that causes it.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan:

I'd argue it's the poor design choices that cause it.  But then again, I seem to be the only one that thinks if content forces highly specific loadouts rather than allowing freedom and build diversity, it's poorly designed.

I disagree. I'm not forced. That's why I can do it with a sub-optimal, less specific loadout in the first place.

Just now, (PSN)Deeceem said:

I disagree. I'm not forced. That's why I can do it with a sub-optimal, less specific loadout in the first place.

The key phrase there though is sub-optimal.  The balance should be shifted so hard to one or two specific things when there's 600 things in the game.  Options shouldn't be as limited as they are due to the design choices.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan:

The key phrase there though is sub-optimal.  The balance should be shifted so hard to one or two specific things when there's 600 things in the game.  Options shouldn't be as limited as they are due to the design choices.

Sounds terrible to me as someone who likes to tinker around with builds and loadouts that aren't meta but still achieve similar results. If everything was the same there'd be little reason to try new stuff. I might misunderstand what you imply though. If you for instance mean there should be more augments like the Miter one or weapons who have this function built-in to have more options to choose from if you want a Bubble-popper, then yeah I can see that.

Sounds terrible to me as someone who likes to tinker around with builds and loadouts that aren't meta but still achieve similar results. If everything was the same there'd little reason to try new stuff. I might misunderstand what you imply though. If you for instance mean there should be more augments like the Miter one to have more options to choose from if you want a Bubble-popper, then yeah I can see that.

I'm saying that mechanics like the nullifier shouldn't be in the game.  Flat out.  They should just block warframe attacks like Arby drones, they shouldn't just flat out instantly turn off all your abilities as soon as you brush up against them.  That's an awful, lazy, broken mechanic imo.

vor 3 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan:

I'm saying that mechanics like the nullifier shouldn't be in the game.  Flat out.  They should just block warframe attacks like Arby drones, they shouldn't just flat out instantly turn off all your abilities as soon as you brush up against them.  That's an awful, lazy, broken mechanic imo.

Ah, you talked specifically about Nullis? My bad. Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. Although I still think they aren't much of an issue outside of SP solo survival, personaly.

Ah, you talked specifically about Nullis? My bad. Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. Although I still think they aren't much of an issue outside of SP solo survival, personaly.

I play a lot of frames with specific ability rotations and set ups and it's just annoying to have all of it reset by a bubble coming through the floor.  I'm not dying constantly because of them, they're just a pointlessly frustrating mechanic.  Groan inducing gameplay is not good gameplay.

1 minute ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

I play a lot of frames with specific ability rotations and set ups and it's just annoying to have all of it reset by a bubble coming through the floor.  I'm not dying constantly because of them, they're just a pointlessly frustrating mechanic.  Groan inducing gameplay is not good gameplay.

for me this is especially true for equinox's 3rd w/ augment and valkyr's 2end w/ augment, its needlessly annoying.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan:

Yupp. Which brings us back to why I agreed initially. I just seem to be less bothered by it (still bothered).

Yupp. Which brings us back to why I agreed initially. I just seem to be less bothered by it (still bothered).

I recently ran an arby (that didn't have nullifiers) and I just didn't have a bad time with the drones.  I never do.  I see people complain about them all the time and they just don't bother me because you can actually hit them with AOE like the Corinth's alt-fire or with rockets.  If you hit them you actually hit them.  I just pick them off and then keep it moving.  If I stumble into a pack protected by them I still keep all my abilities up, but I'm also still put in danger by the fact that I got myself surrounded and can't clear myself any space out with weapons.  It's solid gameplay.

Then I ran a fissure mission against corpus and got the fissure buff on Xaku.  The fissure buff on Xaku is a lot of fun.  Right up until you get all that fun removed when you slide around a corner and just barely touch a nully bubble.  It's always bothered me, and the proper mechanics already exist in the form of arby drones.  I think they like that players hate them.

3 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:
  • Aside from shooting the damage-gated shield the only counterplay available to this awful mechanic is shooting the drone.  The drone has a very poor hitbox, is almost entirely immune to AOE damage like an airburst round blowing up right next to it, seems to have a huge amount of DR, and is hidden on the wrong side of the bubble most of the time because heaven forbid it just sit at the top of the bubble.

Melee exists

Just now, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

Melee exists

You realize I'm talking about the nullifier drone, since it's in the Nullifier section of the post, right?  Are you suggesting that I melee the drone on top of the bubble while somehow not touching the bubble, or are you just ignoring that the entire issue is the fact that touching the bubble removes all the buffs on my frame?

1 minute ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

You realize I'm talking about the nullifier drone, since it's in the Nullifier section of the post, right?  Are you suggesting that I melee the drone on top of the bubble while somehow not touching the bubble, or are you just ignoring that the entire issue is the fact that touching the bubble removes all the buffs on my frame?

You melee the bubble without touching it, duh.

i counter argue Arbitration Drones that have Shield Osprey(s) near them

that is just an unenjoyable experience, it feels bad to Kill that.

if you remove Shield Gating from Arbitration Drones (and overall IMO from any Enemy without Body Part Multipliers), then i wouldn't mind them i guess, sorta.
Nullifiers are less intrusive as long as they aren't moving around really fast though.

5 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

You can still melee the bubble to take it down without touching or entering it. Everyone knows this.

You're not making any kind of a point here.  Taking the bubble down through fire was already addressed.  I said "shoot" instead of damage.  It's the exact same outcome, stop being obtuse.

1 minute ago, taiiat said:

i counter argue Arbitration Drones that have Shield Osprey(s) near them

That's one specific scenario involving a particular enemy that shouldn't be allowed to interact with the drone.  

Warframe is about movement. 

The devs have said multiple times movement is rewarded. It's a basic function of the game mechanics.

The bubble is a bright color for a reason...you can see it coming a mile away, even in tight spaces. 

The maps are large for a reason: to allow you to traverse through them freely to avoid said bubbles. Even though all you have to do is shoot them.....

3 minutes ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

The devs have said multiple times movement is rewarded.

and yet we have still to see any rewards for moving. The parkour system is horrible, and maps with any sort of major parkour have stuipid restrictions are tediously large like juipider.

Archived