Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Arbitration Drones are a superior mechanic to Nullifiers.

(XBOX)TehChubbyDugan

personally i never cared about the drone of nullifier , i simply shoot or melee the bubble until it diseappear then one shot the enemy.

that being said, i think nullifier enemies are important, they usually makes big AOE and abilities a bit less overpowered (even if still overpowered)
frost , saryn etc.... many AOE warframe would be even more unbalanced without them.
also , only corpus and corruped/orokin faction have them anyway.

but that's my opinon.
i think warframe should have even more enemies that can counter abilities, in order to make weapons a bit more relevant compared to ability spam. (though , yea melee is very relevant at the moment , especially due to how OP Bleed status is , but that's another topic)
Why use anything but saryn at the moment in sanctuary onslaught for example ?  (in term of efficiency i mean)

9 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The key phrase there though is sub-optimal.  The balance should be shifted so hard to one or two specific things when there's 600 things in the game.  Options shouldn't be as limited as they are due to the design choices.

It's not 1 or 2. On top of my head it's:

- Hildryn with augment

- Miter with augment

- fast shooting weapons (afair Sarpa works nice on this)

- meleeing them from range (I don't find it enjoyable & reliable)

- operator in the bubble (not sure how it's in the SP)

- things that can stick to the bubble might be not the best but works; for example the Proboscis Cernos shoot twice the bubble & gathers enemies around bubble.

- the Exodia contagion, same as above, it's not the best

And there are probably more however there are maybe few that can be used without going into very specific builds. I hate that many weapon and attacks just don't work (and I think they should).

6 hours ago, (PSN)Madurai-Prime said:

The bubble is a bright color for a reason...you can see it coming a mile away, even in tight spaces. 

Yeah, unless you get stealthy one where s/he teleport to you end activate his/her bubble (or something).

1 hour ago, (NSW)Gamma83 said:

i think warframe should have even more enemies that can counter abilities

There are enemies that counters abilities/damages/movement that are much better than Nullies:

- sentients with damage gating (operator or void attacks)

- Scrambus & Comba that their "field" grows & they are standing (afair) while doing so

- Commander that teleports you but s/he is screaming so loud that you can just roll to avoid it

I'm not that annoyed by nullifiers since I can simply melee them to death and they're very visible and easy to deal with. What gets me is energy leech/parasitic eximus where you don't even know that they're screwing you over until you press your ability key and it stops working. Are they supposed to be so stealthy? Why has nothing improved about their bull in 7 years?

19 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Aside from shooting the damage-gated shield the only counterplay available to this awful mechanic is shooting the drone.  

This isn't true - the Operator is entirely unaffected by a nullifier bubble, meaning that they serve as a counterplay option that everyone has access to at all times post TWW. Nullifiers low health renders them extremely vulnerable to quick Operator attacks, and Operator CC powers like their void blast even still work, so it's not even like you need to power the Operator up in order to have some access to anti-nullifier power.

Additonally, not all frames rely on self-targeted buffs, meaning they can also enter the bubble unharmed, allowing them to dispatch nullifiers with ease, since without the protections of nullification they're nothing more than a giant 'SHOOT ME' sign.

The Bubble's damage gating is also completely helpless against any form of rapid-fire weapon, of which there are several good options to choose from. And the rate at which the bubble regenerates is moot when you consider that Nullifiers are among the most fragile, helpless enemies in the entire game, being slow, present a slightly larger target and have low health, meaning that they can be easily dispatched.

Does this mean that the drone shouldn't be fixed? Absolutely not, that should be. A skill-shot But the argument that the nullifiers level of power doesn't have appropriate counterplay isn't true, since there's already three - one that everyone beyond a certain point has constant access to, and two conditional. With the fixed drone, there'd be four. Even despite their tendency to clip through walls.

The same is also true for their bubble-clipping. That undermines the other element of their counterplay, the fact that if you're even slightly aware of your surroundings, they will be the first thing you spot, and they will take forever to reach you. 

Half of these issues, at least for the classic nullifiers, are glitches that should be fixed, and the are non-issues. I say this as a Limbo player, mind you, at a time when Nullifiers were literally his only weakness.  At the end of the day, there are few forms of power than cannot properly checked and balanced. Of course, not all of these counterpoints apply to all 'nullifiers (Orb Vallis Shield Drones, Isolator Bursas, and to a slightly lesser extent, both Jupiter takes on the Nullifier), and those enemies deserve all ire they receive. But the classic Nullifier? The hate's overblown. There's so many ways to deal with them that, frankly, they're frankly a pretty weak enemy despite their powerful ability.

11 hours ago, (NSW)Gamma83 said:

i think warframe should have even more enemies that can counter abilities, in order to make weapons a bit more relevant compared to ability spam.

The Grineer need something along these lines, though to be fair they have armor which is their edge.

10 hours ago, quxier said:

- Commander that teleports you but s/he is screaming so loud that you can just roll to avoid it

This MF-er needs to die. Send the Agents, this program is targeted for deletion.

44 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

being slow,

You haven't seen this.... "guy" running towards you.

31 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

This MF-er needs to die. Send the Agents, this program is targeted for deletion.

Why? Compared to Nullies you can easily avoid his/her abilities.

37 minutes ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

especially when he swaps with you right after he just swapped with you.

It might be a bug. My commanders are nice guys - they scream "I'm going to teleport you" and they don't hang with each other (Nullies likes each others).

I agree with you that Nullifiers are a bit Bull$hit. The fact that you can cast all your buffs and a Nullifier can brush up on you and take them all off is pretty devastating when energy is at a premium as it is. I agree they should rather make it so you can't cast you abilities inside the bubble and your abilities 'turn off' inside, like they're greyed out but come back on when you leave. Also I agree the drone on the nullifier is almost impossible to see, much less hit, it's usually clipped through the landscape or hiding behind the bubble, or for some reason not there even when I look for it.  I DO prefer arbitration drone style of nullifying, I always thought they were fun even when people complained about them, but I don't think replacing them is the answer. I just wish the drone was easier to see/find and the shield wasn't damage-gated, so a powerful but slow firing weapon could still break it. Honestly if they did just that much, I'd be okay with it.

22 hours ago, Loza03 said:

the fact that if you're even slightly aware of your surroundings, they will be the first thing you spot

So there's a weapon slot specific counterplay option, a glitchy counterplay option, a frame specific counterplay option and a quest dependent counterplay option.  Out of how many different potential loadout options?  Operator is the only reliable one you have access to without taking up specific slots just for them and is dependent on the strength of a player's operator and amp.  Not only does this option stop being useful in higher levels for killing the actual nullifier, it leaves your frame open to being hit with another nullifier since they seem to spawn multiples in at once in the later game.  Combined with the fact that if you have a weak operator it might not survive long enough to actually take down the target.  Am I technically wrong about "no" counter play?  Sure.  But it's very limited and situational at best.  And if you want to argue situational, there are frames, like Wisp, where nullifiers have a negative effect on their gameplay while not even being near the player.  Having your reservoirs taken down while you're not anywhere around them, especially if they're like mine and require set up to be at full potential, is extremely annoying.

The limited counterplay options available don't make them a good mechanic.  

To address the quoted portion directly, there is no "be aware of your surroundings" when a nullifier bubble can literally come up through the ground.  That Corpus ice planet defense map with the tunnels under the map can have nullifiers spawn down there and send a bubble up directly underneath you.  I guess I'm supposed to have xray vision?  Just know when they're in an adjacent room so that I don't brush up against their buggy ass bubble?

On 2021-01-13 at 10:17 AM, (NSW)Gamma83 said:

personally i never cared about the drone of nullifier , i simply shoot or melee the bubble until it diseappear then one shot the enemy.

that being said, i think nullifier enemies are important, they usually makes big AOE and abilities a bit less overpowered (even if still overpowered)
frost , saryn etc.... many AOE warframe would be even more unbalanced without them.

but that's my opinon.
i think warframe should have even more enemies that can counter abilities, in order to make weapons a bit more relevant compared to ability spam. (though , yea melee is very relevant at the moment , especially due to how OP Bleed status is , but that's another topic)
Why use anything but saryn at the moment in sanctuary onslaught for example ?  (in term of efficiency i mean)

I literally address this specifically even with the title by talking about Arbitration drones, which do what you're talking about without being the unbalanced mess that is nullifiers removing all your buffs instantly with just a touch.

Just now, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

So there's a weapon slot specific counterplay option, a glitchy counterplay option, a frame specific counterplay option and a quest dependent counterplay option.  Out of how many different potential loadout options?  Operator is the only reliable one you have access to without taking up specific slots just for them and is dependent on the strength of a player's operator and amp.  Not only does this option stop being useful in higher levels for killing the actual nullifier, it leaves your frame open to being hit with another nullifier since they seem to spawn multiples in at once in the later game.  Combined with the fact that if you have a weak operator it might not survive long enough to actually take down the target.  Am I technically wrong about "no" counter play?  Sure.  But it's very limited and situational at best.  And if you want to argue situational, there are frames, like Wisp, where nullifiers have a negative effect on their gameplay while not even being near the player.  Having your reservoirs taken down while you're not anywhere around them, especially if they're like mine and require set up to be at full potential, is extremely annoying.

Considering you only need one counterplay option to deal with nullifiers, one of which will always be available, and the other two aren't limited to just being used on nullifiers?

For reference, any weapon which can deal rapid ticks of damage can deal with nullifier bubbles. So that's most auto-weapons, most cluster-bomb weapons (including the Bramma, mind you), all beam weapons, and several other weapons like beam weapons. And you've got three weapon slots to work with. Frames that don't rely on buffs on themselves are quite common - all of the three starter frames fall into this category for one.

Even a completely out-of-the-box 100 health operator can still CC nullifiers as well since their void blast works inside bubbles, and comes pre-packed with a beam weapon which as stated above, is a hard-counter to a nully bubble.

There are frames which are more harshly affected by Nullifiers. But there are also frames that are more harshly affected by getting shot in the face - different frames have different strengths and weaknesses. That, frankly isn't a problem. Wisp has phenomenal maneuverability, passive CC, limited invisibility and damage - in fact, thanks to the aforementioned reservoirs, she can even go after Nullifiers in their bubbles without too much sweat since she can refresh her buffs at no extra cost. Not to mention one of said buffs is a fire rate increase, which improves her ability to go after Nullifiers!

36 minutes ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

To address the quoted portion directly, there is no "be aware of your surroundings" when a nullifier bubble can literally come up through the ground.  That Corpus ice planet defense map with the tunnels under the map can have nullifiers spawn down there and send a bubble up directly underneath you.  I guess I'm supposed to have xray vision?  Just know when they're in an adjacent room so that I don't brush up against their buggy ass bubble?

The bolded claim is false. 

Nullifier bubble clipping is due to a design flaw. Their bubble's radius is based on the height of the drone. So in tall-ceilinged areas, it can clip through walls - although this is assuming they're alerted and hugging the wall.  Also, since it clips, you literally can see that they're in an adjacent room

However, since their bubble's radius is based on the height of the drone, that means that the bubble never goes higher than the ceiling. Which means its physically impossible for their bubble to just come up through the ground in the first place.

Nully bubble clipping through a wall. Note, the radius of the bubble is still visible, so no X-ray vision required.

Spoiler

2byLC1U.jpg

Nully bubble in response to the ceiling. On the ice planet, no less. Note just how small it is, and how the bubble reacts to the ceiling. This also further highlights how the clipping works.

Spoiler

6MYnr8f.jpg

On 2021-01-13 at 1:12 AM, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

Have damage-gating on their shields so that harder hitting weapons are negated almost entirely.

Almost 🤔 ?

It's not Almost... It's Absolute...

Nullifier Bubbles are not affect by Damage Numbers.... Only by Sequential Damage Instances..... The MK1-Braton Unmodded Grinds Down Nullifier Bubbles Faster than the Almighty fully Modded Opticor Vandal.

That's the level Broken Nullifier's Are...

Aside from shooting the damage-gated shield the only counterplay available to this awful mechanic is shooting the drone.  The drone has a very poor hitbox, is almost entirely immune to AOE damage like an airburst round blowing up right next to it, seems to have a huge amount of DR, and is hidden on the wrong side of the bubble most of the time because heaven forbid it just sit at the top of the bubble

I mean... If you did position the drone on Top then you run the risk of Not being able to hit it at all if clips through the Ceiling or is too close or is Slightly Elevated....

These things are terrible....doubt they can be salvaged.

Arbitration drones:

I mean.... I get that you are trying to show how different they are from Nullifier's but in all honesty they are the same.

They are designed for the same reason... To kill all fun be turning off all your Abilities.... The only difference is the Off Switched is moved from you to the enemies themselves.

•  

I see people give Arby drones a lot of crap, but people seem to have gotten used to nullifiers.  I've been playing for 3 years.  I still can't stand nullifiers.

They are Both evil as far as I'm concerned....

On 2021-01-13 at 2:06 AM, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

I'd argue it's the poor design choices that cause it.  But then again, I seem to be the only one that thinks if content forces highly specific loadouts rather than allowing freedom and build diversity, it's poorly designed.

This is a Friendly reminder that it's not just you.... Hopefully that salvages some of your Sanity. 😉

On 2021-01-13 at 4:55 AM, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

The bubble is still damage gated, which has already been addressed in the OP. 

He's Trolling you....

That being said.... With the Changes they made to Primed Reach and Melee in General... Yes you actually can Grind down the Bubble by hitting it repeatedly with Specific Melee Weapon Combos.... It honestly doesn't take as long as I expected it to...

That being said... Not a Solution !!! 😐.

On 2021-01-13 at 5:02 AM, taiiat said:

i counter argue Arbitration Drones that have Shield Osprey(s) near them

A Perfect Storm 😱 !!!

Another Combo is Arbi Drones laced with Armor from one of those Support Infested Units....I don't know which unit does it but This Combo has ended many of my Arbitration Runs.

On 2021-01-13 at 5:02 AM, taiiat said:

if you remove Shield Gating from Arbitration Drones (and overall IMO from any Enemy without Body Part Multipliers), then i wouldn't mind them i guess, sorta.

It would be nice if they weren't Status Immune Either so I can Read Proc them 😈...

On 2021-01-13 at 5:25 AM, Joezone619 said:

and yet we have still to see any rewards for moving. The parkour system is horrible, and maps with any sort of major parkour have stuipid restrictions are tediously large like juipider.

I wouldn't say it's Horrible... And I play On Controller so that's high Praise right there.... But yeah.... It's not Encouraged or Rewarded....except non Endless missions that don't require killing....

frost , saryn etc....

How is "Frost" in the same sentence as "Overpowered" ? 😱

many AOE warframe would be even more unbalanced without them.

It's a Double Edged Sword.... Some Warframe's are Unbalanced on the Other lower End because of their Existence.

Actually since Disruption Missions exist for All Factions.... Every Faction now has a Honorary Nullifier in the form of a Demo Unit ...

Luckily they are limity to just Disruption Missions.... But for how long... 😱 ?

Why use anything but saryn at the moment in sanctuary onslaught for example ? 

Apparently some people do it for fun....

If you can come up with a quick and Dirty Way to Lower Baruuk's Restraint he's very effective in ESO...

The Bubble's damage gating is also completely helpless against any form of rapid-fire weapon, of which there are several good options to choose from

I actually dislike All of Them.... 

I like to pop Enemies one at a time in a single instance rather than Hosing Them Down very Quickly.... 

Nullifiers are among the most fragile, helpless enemies in the entire game, being slow, present a slightly larger target and have low health, meaning that they can be easily dispatched

Hang on.... 

Sure they have low Health but don't you have to go through a Shield first for that to be relevant like you do with any other Shielded enemy ?

22 hours ago, (XBOX)Rez090 said:

The Grineer need something along these lines, though to be fair they have armor which is their edge.

It's like you just want us all to suffer 😐 !!!

21 hours ago, quxier said:

Why? Compared to Nullies you can easily avoid his/her abilities.

You can ?

The only way I know these guys even exist is because they Teleport me.... I've never spotted one BEFORE being teleported. 😮.

19 hours ago, Loza03 said:

The bolded claim is false. 

It's not, and you're going on ignore because if I responded to your BS and you calling me a liar the way I want to right now I'd get moderated for it.  I literally provided you with an example of where it can, and frequently does happen.

I'm so tired of people in this community telling me that I haven't seen things that I have 100% seen.  It's ridiculous and condescending at best.  Like you just somehow know that it doesn't happen to any of the thousands of players in millions of missions. 

Spoiler

dgSxkps.jpg?1

Oh look.  A nullifier bubble coming up through the ground like I said they do.  Enjoy the low quality phone picture because I don't feel like waiting on the video capture to upload. Also this is wave 11 of the first mission I ran where I got this tile set.  It's not even hard to reproduce. 

Is it a bug?  Sure.  Are they going to fix it?  They haven't in years, so probably not.  Does it happen everywhere?  No.  But it does happen in several places.  It's not just walls.

Honestly, I don't see nullifers being much of an issue at all.

IMO, They are the weakest enemy in the entire game.

>Their Bubble is massive, clips through walls. This is good, because it means you know exactly where it is.
> Bubble has a weakspot on top.
> Bubble is extremely susceptible to pop to high fire rate weapons
> They are literally a glowing blue blob, how the hell does anyone run into it accidently if you are looking at your screen?
> Bubble will pop instantly if you drop kick the nully (Yes, you can drop kick enemies in warframe), or ragdoll them with operator. Operator abilities do function inside nullifiers.

On the other hand, I don't like arbitration drones because:

> They ignore the rules of sheild gating.
> They can interact with shield ospreys. Now there is absolutely nothing you can do about it other than running away and hope it baits the osprey out of its range.

12 hours ago, Loza03 said:

The Bubble's damage gating is also completely helpless against any form of rapid-fire weapon, of which there are several good options to choose from.

Per-shot damage caps are terrible design. It's basically mandating rapid fire weapons or GTFO - this was a problem with nullicancer on release and it's still a problem with nullicancer now. Hard hitting weapons already have the balancing factor of firing slowly (opticor, vectis) and/or having limited ammunition (launchers).

6 hours ago, Lutesque said:

The only way I know these guys even exist is because they Teleport me.... I've never spotted one BEFORE being teleported. 😮.

I guess it should work on the Simulacrum. Try spawning one and wait till s/he teleports you. Just listen. Have you heard some sounds like this:

https://youtu.be/uLeAot4Zrxo?t=10

Well, I cannot find better movie but my point is that you can hear him so you can dodge/roll. Maybe your settings is different than mine.

7 hours ago, Lutesque said:

I actually dislike All of Them.... 

I like to pop Enemies one at a time in a single instance rather than Hosing Them Down very Quickly.... 

Then use the other options.

7 hours ago, Lutesque said:

Hang on.... 

Sure they have low Health but don't you have to go through a Shield first for that to be relevant like you do with any other Shielded enemy ?

I'm counting shields in that statement. 

3 hours ago, (XBOX)TehChubbyDugan said:

dgSxkps.jpg?1

Oh look.  A nullifier bubble coming up through the ground like I said they do.  Enjoy the low quality phone picture because I don't feel like waiting on the video capture to upload.
So tired of you people calling me a liar.  It is genuinely infuriating.

EDIT:  Oh, and this is wave 11 of the first mission I ran where I got this tile set.  It's not even hard to reproduce.  Is it a bug?  Sure.  Are they going to fix it?  They haven't in years, so probably not.  Does it happen everywhere?  No.  But it does happen in several places.  It's not just walls.  "bOldeD CLaIm is fAlsE"  So tired of it.

Given the lack of drone and the wave, that's most likely from an Isolator Bursa. They launch these tiny grenades that project Nullifier fields, that can persist long after the Bursa is dead (including through waves), even stick to other enemies or players and they can go die in a hole But they're also not classic Nullifiers, and I even acknowledge as such earlier.

13 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Of course, not all of these counterpoints apply to all 'nullifiers (Orb Vallis Shield Drones, Isolator Bursas, and to a slightly lesser extent, both Jupiter takes on the Nullifier), and those enemies deserve all ire they receive.

They're an example of that power without the proper counterplay. However, the mechanic of Nullification is not a bad one.

All my comments are strictly talking about the Classic Nullifier.

1 hour ago, DoomFruit said:

Per-shot damage caps are terrible design. It's basically mandating rapid fire weapons or GTFO - this was a problem with nullicancer on release and it's still a problem with nullicancer now. Hard hitting weapons already have the balancing factor of firing slowly (opticor, vectis) and/or having limited ammunition (launchers).

Except it isn't because of the Operator and how several frames don't even care about Nullifiers to begin with.

5 hours ago, quxier said:

I guess it should work on the Simulacrum. Try spawning one and wait till s/he teleports you. Just listen. Have you heard some sounds like this:

Well, I cannot find better movie but my point is that you can hear him so you can dodge/roll. Maybe your settings is different than mine.

It's not so much the settings as when you've got a group of Grineer and your mid-combat with them and suddenly the Commander decides to switch with you. And then as soon as you stand up from that switch, they do it again. It's also hard to know where they are because they're not dressed any different from other Grineer. They've got no unique armor to distinguish themselves from other units, all they've got is their name which can be hard to see in a large group.

hmm, don't know which of the two mechanics are more... annoying.... but they both serve their respective role (in getting on our nerves ^^)

additionally i suggest DE create arbitration drones with a nullifier bubble around it... then put them into every mission there is - just to keep us on edge and ranting aginst it 🤣

10 hours ago, quxier said:

I actually can't distinguish any of the sounds I hear in this game... And on Corpus Missions I just blinded by VFX all the time.... It's like a Spring Bash. 😮

10 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Then use the other options.

I do...

10 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I'm counting shields in that statement. 

I haven't noticed them having lower shields in my Experience... They seem just as Resilient as other Units..... Except for the Corpus Tech.... Now that bastard as one tough Cookie.

1 hour ago, fr4gb4ll said:

hmm, don't know which of the two mechanics are more... annoying.... but they both serve their respective role (in getting on our nerves ^^)

additionally i suggest DE create arbitration drones with a nullifier bubble around it... then put them into every mission there is - just to keep us on edge and ranting aginst it 🤣

Becareful what you wish for 😱 !!!

3 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

I haven't noticed them having lower shields in my Experience... They seem just as Resilient as other Units..... Except for the Corpus Tech.... Now that bastard as one tough Cookie.

True, yes, they do have the same stats as a regular crewman (not an Elite Crewman, mind you, a regular one), but we're still talking 15,000 EHP at level 100 here.

Frankly, I am very worried if you're struggling to take down a regular Crewman (again, not even an Elite Crewman) in a timely fashion, even in the Steel Path. The highest level Nullifier you could conceivably fight is a level 145, with 2.5X multipliers, which is around 86,000 EHP. Which, for reference, is the same amount of health Heavy Gunner at the same level... without armour or Steel Path modifiers. 

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

True, yes, they do have the same stats as a regular crewman (not an Elite Crewman, mind you, a regular one), but we're still talking 15,000 EHP at level 100 here.

Frankly, I am very worried if you're struggling to take down a regular Crewman (again, not even an Elite Crewman) in a timely fashion, even in the Steel Path. The highest level Nullifier you could conceivably fight is a level 145, with 2.5X multipliers, which is around 86,000 EHP. Which, for reference, is the same amount of health Heavy Gunner at the same level... without armour or Steel Path modifiers. 

Since Operator's can't use Mods... I think it's safe to say 15 000 EHP is slot.... Especially since they have Shield Gating now... 😮 !!!

19 minutes ago, Lutesque said:

Since Operator's can't use Mods... I think it's safe to say 15 000 EHP is slot.... Especially since they have Shield Gating now... 😮 !!!

You don't even need an amp to be able to kill one in less than a full tank of void beam energy, so no not really.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

I actually can't distinguish any of the sounds I hear in this game.

That might be little bit of your problem.

1 hour ago, Lutesque said:

on Corpus Missions I just blinded by VFX all the time

Things in this game looks amazing.... unless you want to play a game. I keep the settings "low" because of "overwhelming" effects (and because my pc is not good enough).

Archived