Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Nyx really that bad or am I missing something?

houselyrander

She really doesn't seem to offer anything that other frames can't do better. Her CC feels weak and limited (her 1's AI seeming to focus on floors may be a factor), her armor strip feels too finicky to bother with, and her survivability tools are crippling to use. I've heard that she's good for Steel Path but I've been clearing planets in Steel Path on and off for a while now and I'm still not seeing it. Is there some crucial factor I'm missing here or is Nyx really just the "at least she's not Oldkong" I think she is?

8 minutes ago, houselyrander said:

She really doesn't seem to offer anything that other frames can't do better. Her CC feels weak and limited (her 1's AI seeming to focus on floors may be a factor), her armor strip feels too finicky to bother with, and her survivability tools are crippling to use. I've heard that she's good for Steel Path but I've been clearing planets in Steel Path on and off for a while now and I'm still not seeing it. Is there some crucial factor I'm missing here or is Nyx really just the "at least she's not Oldkong" I think she is?

She's got one of the best looking deluxe skins;-)

Seriously, though... Her 1 is trash, helminth it into something useful. I use Breach Surge, but Dispensary can be good if you like using Absorb. 

My Nyx gameplay is mostly using Chaos whenever something red pops on radar, Psychic Bolts with Pacyfying Bolts augment every couple seconds This way every enemy ever is fighting his buddies or stunned and i rarely get shot. Works in Steel Path, though my build (max range, some duration and efficency) could use some strengh for more armor strip. Some people like Assimilate augment, but i find slow movement annoying (can be made to work some what using some melee stances with forced forward movement and operator dashes) 

1 is useless. I replaced it with condemn. Best decision I ever made. Other than that just keep mashing 3, you'll need to cause enemy ai can be very finicky sometimes. Truth be told I'm mainly using her for the strip and her asthetic. But my god does she look good.

Assimilate is a preference thing. Use it with healing return as a get out of jail free card except against nullies. Alternatively go buy Magus rejuvenate (as least I think that's the name) and just mash 5 when you #*!% up.

I stopped using the min max build in things like SP precisely because of finicky AI and am gonna invested in an umbra build so she get 2.5k+ ehp. I think she needs it.

at least if you use nyx then you can somewhat lower the percentage of people using mesa and saryn, so that they wont pi$$ off when a large amount of people using them

but yes nyx 1 is useless, maybe not for infested because I used the aug and controlled an infested and it kills enemy in 2-3 hits

I mean, I did faceroll through almost my entire Steel Path map clearing with her solo and I don't "main" her nor did I play her a lot before (or after). Her 2 (plus Intensify) was pretty convenient for stripping defenses which is very good against beefy enemies and pretty nice to shield gate and her 3 was decent and pretty good when doing the interceptions. That being said her kit doesn't really shine in everyday gameplay - that's where nukers shine - and her 1 is meh, meme-y at best in general. Her 4 can be okay with the augment, you can use melee block combos or the operator to mitigate the movement reduction. There was also a nuke build with her 4 that required people to cooperate that never took off if I recall corrrectly. Her kit is okay if you can't just fart at an enemy to kill it. Just specific.

Basically the harder it gets the more value you can get out of her and similar frames who rely more on cc and such. So yeah, since I used "okay" a ton I guess that's what she is. Question is if that's good enough for you in the current roster.

Like a lot of other warframes, Nyx is an acquired taste. There is also no single Nyx "op build", instead you can push Nyx in  a lot of different directions. Since none of her abilities is "essential", you can easily push Nyx even further using the Helminth. Nyx's greatest drawback is that very little of what she can do is about rushing through missions and/or buffing other players. In addition, if you play Nyx in PUGs you will get squad members that don't know/understand Nyx, so using some of her abilities generates a Limbo-type response from these ignorants ("wtf is happening!!!? why...???").

That said, Nyx is a fun and interesting warframe to play, with some great builds. But playing Nyx takes skill, understanding and having the mods & stuff you need.

If you want to test this potential diversity out, try a "Terminator Nyx"-build, with the augment (Assimilate) and with a melee weapon with a stance that moves you forward. And keep in mind that you can move quickly by void dashing (with Absorb still active) and use a focus school with a void dashing effect (since Zenurik's Energizing Dash won't work with Absorb active anyway), and that your sentinel is also protected and that Deth Cube + Energy Generator will generate energy orbs (which will trigger Arcane Energize, which works while Absorb is active...). Melee Terminator Nyx works well in squad play (and some mission types), since Nyx's threat level is increased while Absorb is active. And remember that while you are immune to all damage and all status effects, you are NOT immune to energy leech enemies (so drop those f*ckers quick). There are a lot more tricks you can do with an Absorb-focused Nyx build (like popping the bubble at the right moment to get the up to 400% damage increase to non-melee weapons for 8 seconds, or going for range instead of augment to keep an objective totally safe inside the bubble), but I'm not going to spoil it more than this. And Nyx can do a lot more "impressive sh*t" than just "The Terminator"...

1 hour ago, houselyrander said:

She is one of the best frames for survival and interception.
Her 2 strips all defences(not just armour) and it's one of the fastest and strongest strips and it's a one handed action. Also requires just an intensify for a full strip.
Her 3 with the augment is one of the best cc in the game and cc is not irrelevant if you want to go a long way in a survival(not just 5 min).Actually is one of the strongest abilities to have for a high level content, because melee can kill anything with no powers, so you just need a way to stay alive along with rolling guard. Revenant has a better mind controll then her tho ;D
Her 4 with the augment is also very dependable for high levels if you have arcane energize(you can move perfectly well with a melee stance combo or op).You can play her without it now, because of shield gating now so she can become way more flexible.

The thing you are missing is that she can do all the things other frames can do(not worse) with way less modding and tweaking, not set backs, no 5-6 forma for a mediocre result(xaku), just put some mods on her and you can take down bosses, long survivals etc with no problem.

1 hour ago, ReddyDisco said:

Nyx is an amazing frame, just look at all the tennogen skins there are for her

Fashionframe = Endgame, therfore Nyx = Good

This right here.

They had to chose between correct abilities and awesome skin. And Nyx is perfect for fashionframe purpose.

And she's perfect for reworked Jackal so that's already something I guess

I think Nyx was overall better before the changes, mainly the one that removed the disarm passive that you could use to disarm rooms by spamming bolts.

That crippled its cc-debuff capabilities.

Still an ok frame, but i'm not using it anymore.

I use an Augur Secrets with her for 99% armor strip. Gotta leave that 1% for corrosive damage bonus.

Assimilate mod? Turns her into the Terminator. You know? Invincible, and gunning things down with your OP Primary/Secondary/Melee? Slow though, gotta have that slow walking mowing down everything with a Heavy Machine gun while carrying a casket fashion.

Mind Control...yeah I subsumed Pull into her skillset. Helps get enemies into range, and Pull feels more like a Telekinetic power for our Psychic Fashion Queen.

Overall yeah she's pretty bad or uh pointless to be more accurate. There is just nothing she can do that another frame cant do better while also bringing damage to the kit. Helminth gave her a boost since you can now get a damage skill for her, she still needs a rework and have her skills shaved and changed.

Her 2 and 3 should be combined, 4 should have the augment added to it with the removal of the movement penalty since we already have immune frames with no restrictions (Rev and Valkitty). 1 should be turned into working like Wuklone, where the mods on your primary applies to the MC target, it should also follow Nyx better and maybe even be a permanent until dead skill. That would leave her with a free slot for a new skill that could possibly bring more offense to her kit. I was honestly thinking of a "Chaos Bolt" skill that simply fires x number of projectiles from her as a 1 handed action, which then seeks out enemies around her. They could work like Scarlet Witch's bolts worked in Marvel Heroes, where each bolt had a very low minimum damage but also an extremely high max damage, which added to the chaos flavor of the skill.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try to cover what I can without Quoting the entire thread

2 hours ago, Graavarg said:

If you want to test this potential diversity out, try a "Terminator Nyx"-build, with the augment (Assimilate) and with a melee weapon with a stance that moves you forward. And keep in mind that you can move quickly by void dashing (with Absorb still active) and use a focus school with a void dashing effect (since Zenurik's Energizing Dash won't work with Absorb active anyway), and that your sentinel is also protected and that Deth Cube + Energy Generator will generate energy orbs (which will trigger Arcane Energize, which works while Absorb is active...). Melee Terminator Nyx works well in squad play (and some mission types), since Nyx's threat level is increased while Absorb is active. And remember that while you are immune to all damage and all status effects, you are NOT immune to energy leech enemies (so drop those f*ckers quick). There are a lot more tricks you can do with an Absorb-focused Nyx build (like popping the bubble at the right moment to get the up to 400% damage increase to non-melee weapons for 8 seconds, or going for range instead of augment to keep an objective totally safe inside the bubble), but I'm not going to spoil it more than this. And Nyx can do a lot more "impressive sh*t" than just "The Terminator"...

My biggest problem with "Terminator Nyx" is that at that point you're just an Oldkong with a limp. Not saying that it isn't cool to be immortal, just that it doesn't directly contribute anything. Personally, I'd prefer to play another immortal frame that can still move normally while immortal.

2 hours ago, vegetosayajin said:

She is one of the best frames for survival and interception.
Her 2 strips all defences(not just armour) and it's one of the fastest and strongest strips and it's a one handed action. Also requires just an intensify for a full strip.
Her 3 with the augment is one of the best cc in the game and cc is not irrelevant if you want to go a long way in a survival(not just 5 min).Actually is one of the strongest abilities to have for a high level content, because melee can kill anything with no powers, so you just need a way to stay alive along with rolling guard. Revenant has a better mind controll then her tho ;D

I get that the strip is easy to get to 100%, my problem is that it's finicky. It only works against 6 targets that I can't really choose and it's not permanent. If you can make that work for you though, more power to you.

I'm curious why you think her 3 is so good though. Mechanically, it's just a Rad proc that can't stack or trigger Condition Overload. Even with the aug, I can't see myself using it over an Oberon carpet (or any of Vauban's much harder CC for that matter). I haven't actually tried the aug yet though. Is there something the wiki isn't telling me?

3 hours ago, ReddyDisco said:

Nyx is an amazing frame, just look at all the tennogen skins there are for her

Fashionframe = Endgame, therfore Nyx = Good

Welp, I'm sold.

I love all the "she can't kill everything with the press of one button. trash frame" comments.

if you want it easy, then frames like Nyx are not for you. if you think you need rivens to one shot things, then frames like Nyx are not for you. is she outdated? duh. but if you know what mods are, then she can be fairly versatile.

also I wonder how many people proclaiming "CC IS DEAD" cannot play Intercept missions without at least one Nova 🤭

She's a frame that can't decide what she even wants to do, that's why she's in a bad spot.

Mind Control is in the running for "Worst First Skill" in the game.

Psychic Bolts has an arbitrary limit of 6 and resets when recast, despite being powerful you won't need that level of strip at most levels of gameplay. This is her best ability by far and that is sad.

Chaos is a meme, better and harder CC exists on several Warframes now, it also does something fairly similar to a mass Radiation proc meaning it isn't even unique (Oberon's Radioactive Lawn can do that while providing CC immunity and armor with Renewal).

Assimilate is also a meme, if only because of its "Hur dur I R INVINCEBUL" augment, nobody uses it without the augment and usually only to unga bunga missions, likely while watching Netflix.

Nyx has the same problem as Loki, a bunch of diehard fans who claim that the Warframes are better than they actually are who won't let them come out of the stone age of Warframe.

16 minutes ago, Rawbeard said:

I love all the "she can't kill everything with the press of one button. trash frame" comments.

if you want it easy, then frames like Nyx are not for you. if you think you need rivens to one shot things, then frames like Nyx are not for you. is she outdated? duh. but if you know what mods are, then she can be fairly versatile.

also I wonder how many people proclaiming "CC IS DEAD" cannot play Intercept missions without at least one Nova 🤭

Nobody said anything about nuke frames aside from a snide comment about Mesa and Saryn being overused. Nobody said anything about rivens period. Nobody is arguing for what you seem to think this thread is. In fact, most posts seem to be in favor of CC in high level content.

My problem isn't she's CC, my problem is I'm getting better CC from Oberon as an afterthought to my support work.

5 hours ago, houselyrander said:

She really doesn't seem to offer anything that other frames can't do better. 

I don't really agree with this, since what she does, she does quite well. 

The problem is you really don't need what she does for most gameplay you'll be indulging in. Also, her rework was botched and she has issues with modding due to conflicting needs for her abilities. Her abilities are meant to complement each other (and have a get-out-of-jail-free card), but they no longer can because of the conflicts in stat priorities. 

It's awkward. 

It's also unfortunate, because she used to be one of my most used and favorite 'frames, but she's been on the back burner since the rework. Actually, she's more under the warming lights these days, but when I do (rarely) trot her out she does well enough. It's just you are constantly confronted by the problems and you have to work far harder to do well than you should. 

Ultimately, CC 'frames have little use in these days of truly overwhelming offense and Nyx has always been and still is a dedicated CC 'frame. 

4 hours ago, KitMeHarder said:

Nyx became the worst frame in the game after Xaku got his Arcana buffs, and Xaku can do a lot more than just be a better Nyx.

Um no.

Nyx has one of the best enemy armour removals in the game.
Her 3 is decent CC but not amazing, augment helps.
Her 4 is one of the highest DPS in the game.
She is very hard to kill with assimilate

And yeh we all know her 1st ability sucks, just replace it with something in Helminth.

Archived