Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Levelling Up Test

CaptainEras

Yesterday I made the mistake of leaving the circle when doing my level up ftom 1 to 2 test and got a fail.

I have just redone it and got another fail but this time I stayed in the circle, shot all the attackers, and was stood there as last man standing . . . but up came a fail.

Just failed again and to be perfectly honest I'm regretting paying £32.99 to be a founder, to me this aspect is bloody stupid

, so much content in the game yet leveling up is dependent on a stupid timed event. I really do find this feature so bloody stupid in relation to the game that it does dent my interest. Everything we do in all the complication of the game is to advance, we have done it all to get to the position of leveling up, yet all that effort is then cheapened by making it all dependent on a stupid little timed event.

I have done well in the game but to have leveling up down to a stupid little timed event is enough for me to say ta ta and BF4 here I come.

Oh, I know you might consider that silly but I'm fed up with games showing so much potential only to be let dowm. IMO, by some infantile aspect.

Think about it, this game is stunning to look at, very complicated meaning a lot of substance with so much to learn. We go on mission after mission collecting stuff, using some platinum here and there, upgrading with the right stuff for the right job, etc. etc. etc., and then to level up we get a stupid little, pointless, timed event, and  then the characters decide to play silly buggers darting behind the obstacles as the very short timer runs out before you have even started . . .and my gaming experience and money invested in Warframe is dependent on that ? . .sorry but no way am I wasting my time . .I've already wasted my money so bugger compounding it with my time.

And, yes, I am aware it is a beta but this is a design choice not simply a bug.

PS.On the first try I left the circle and got an instant fail . .

Edited by CaptainEras

dude, eris, first, calm down.  The test is really simple, shoot all the guys with your pistol before time runs out.  That should be the only rule, you can leave the circle if you want (in fact I'd recommend it if the enemies are hiding from you).  If it fails when you step out of the circle, either time ran out (should be extremely obvious, so i'll assume that didn't happen), or you found a bug.  Congratulations, its a beta, you're meant to be finding them.  Try to repeat the bug, and if so, post in the bug forums and file a support ticket to have your mastery rank just granted to you.  The logs should support you (if the test fails you before the timer runs out, something strange definitely happened).  The worst that happens is you get an explanation from the only guys who would be able to tell you exactly why you failed the test, and from that it should be easy to fix.

Some other things to be wary of: is the game letting you bring your sentinel into the test?  It shouldn't, but make sure to unequip your sentinel before the test just to be safe.  Are you switching to a primary weapon, using a melee weapon, or a power?  You shouldn't be able to, but again, just to be safe, don't even try to do so.  Just use your pistol (probably the starting lato) to shoot everything.  I guess you might be able to fail if you die, but you really shouldn't be taking much damage.  just hide behind a pillar and let your shields recharge, then shoot back.

I should note that I've never had any problems with leveling, even with all weapons equipped and going through the tests.

Leveling is significantly easier if you've got some decent weapons leveled up; of that I don't deny.

According to the Wiki, having a Sentinel equipped can cause you to fail the test.

Edited by WhiskeyGolf

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

I also appreciate that this is a beta but did make mention of the fact that the test is part of the game and not a bug.

My point is that in all other games I have played the leveling up comes after all the effort to make the points, not have those points put into a bag and only allowed to go forward if some incredibly infantile test is passed, it is like some sort of childish add on where you get a detention in the form of a 24 hour delay before you can take the test again if you fail it. This comes across as some sort of ego trip for the nerd who dreamt it up.

A delay for crafting makes sense, but if this leveling up test has to be done why a delay for failing it ? . .this, after all, is a bloody computer game, it's supposed to be fun . .not some sort of endurance event for ones patience.

A particular thanks goes out to WhiskeyGolf . . .not even my friends told me I have to turn off my sentinel . .  :)

Well, I have bunged another £26+ at the game to get more platinums so I still have the faith, and I'm not a stranger to betas so expect some disruption but tend to lose patience with ridiculous design choices.

And, no, I'm not buying everything. Jusr crafted a couple parts for the Rhino Warframe, crafted the Vulkar from collected bits, and crafted the Seer pistol from collected bits. The core of the game is about collecting, the platinum is just there to ease the way if needed, lol . . .

In any game which grabs my attention I look for the complete rounded package so anything not up to the overall standard of the rest of the game stands out like a sore thumb, and IMO there is no place for tests between levels, the mere fact of achieving the required points is test enough . .this test is ill-conceived and out of place and all the game needs is the same system as virtually every other game out there, as in;"if it ain't broken, don't fix it" . . .

The graphics are superior, the audio is superior, the gameplay - minus tests - is superior, so the potential has to be superior . . and the quality is there just like another beta - well, pre-alpha - I've been involved with for quite some time, Pcars . .

Oh ! . .my weapon of choice for the test is the Vasto with ice and flame on . . . hopefully I'll get there before the end of the year, lol . .

Edited by CaptainEras

Well, I have bunged another £26+ at the game to get more platinums so I still have the faith, and I'm not a stranger to betas so expect some disruption but tend to lose patience with ridiculous design choices.

And, no, I'm not buying everything. Jusr crafted a couple parts for the Rhino Warframe, crafted the Vulkar from collected bits, and crafted the Seer pistol from collected bits. The core of the game is about collecting, the platinum is just there to ease the way if needed, lol . . .

In any game which grabs my attention I look for the complete rounded package so anything not up to the overall standard of the rest of the game stands out like a sore thumb, and IMO there is no place for tests between levels, the mere fact of achieving the required points is test enough . .this test is ill-conceived and out of place and all the game needs is the same system as virtually every other game out there, as in;"if it ain't broken, don't fix it" . . .

The graphics are superior, the audio is superior, the gameplay - minus tests - is superior, so the potential has to be superior . . and the quality is there just like another beta - well, pre-alpha - I've been involved with for quite some time, Pcars . .

Oh ! . .my weapon of choice for the test is the Vasto with ice and flame on . . . hopefully I'll get there before the end of the year, lol . .

you should have gone with a founders pack if you were to invest more money.

Dont be upset keep practicing and soon it will be smooth sailing. Have fun.

Initially, I went with a founders pack for £32.99, but didn't see the upgrade, damn, I could have gotten almost twice the platinum for just £7 more . . .

What I am concerned about with this silly test is; what is happening to all my xp points, are they being stored to be added once I have passed the test ?

If not it makes the test even more out of place . . . because WHY would anyone want to put a wrist slapping feature into a computer game.

Edited by CaptainEras

Took your advice, Shark, and bought the upgrade to "Master" as I see the founder thingy ends on Nov.1st.

This game has grabbed my imagination like no game has in a long time so will be a stayer on my computer . . .never thrown £92 at a computer game before, lol . . .

Failed the test again from 1 to 2 . . . no matter, I've given up expecting to get anywhere with this penalty system so will just look to what I can do in the game . . .

It would seem that the creators of the game are only interested in having customers of a certain level of skill. . .funny how I'm not considered up to the mark yet can complete missions in solo play . . .bit of a disparity there, which only serves to highlight the fact that there is no place for this infantile test in the game . . I mean, how can the test be fit for purpose if I can complete missions on my own, getting good result stats, yet fail a childish little test and be considered not capable to complete a mission, because isn't that what wikia says the test is about ?

I can remember the first Call of Juarez putting a gunfight between levels which for some were impossible to win and so couldn't move on, they certainly didn't make that mistake again.

Edited by CaptainEras

Weapons in Warframe are really mod dependent, if you don't know what mods are, wiki it. Leveling weapons and frames and not adding mods to them doesn't increase their usability. If you have bad weapons, especially the starter ones(Braton MKI, Lato, and Skana), and you're not good at hitting weak points(headshots), then you should wait until later in the game to complete the test, since you won't be able to kill enemies fast enough before the time limit.

All your mastery exp will be stored and applied instantly once you level up your mastery rank, and for someone as low level as you, mastery rank means nothing. You should just get out there, finish some missions, collect mods, deck out your weapons, THEN work on leveling your mastery.

Also, completing solo play missions? It's not as impressive as you think. Anyone with experience in STG can easily clear out the first planet or two. How about you practice some more before telling us "how good you are"? If you can't even complete some "childish little test," then you might as well call yourself a newbie.

Edited by Recyclex

Captain, the test should be really simple - just shoot everyone with your pistol.  Positioning does not matter, if you are failing as you leave the circle, it is a bug, file a support ticket and they'll bump you up to mastery rank 2 where you can continue.  If you're failing for some other reason, post about why you failed and we can give you some tips to avoid whatever it is.  Its really sounding like you're failing from something else but aren't willing to admit what it is.

You are NOT wasting XP by leveling up your current gear - all mastery XP is stored, you will probably eventually complete the first test (one way or another) and still have a blinking bar saying 'hey you can do a test for another mastery rank!'.  I'll repeat the first thing you should do: calm down.  take a deep breath.  The game is not out to screw you over.  If it has screwed you over, file a support ticket and it'll get fixed.  If it hasn't, post a clear description of what happened and what caused you to fail the test.  We'll tell you ways to help fix it.

I'm too old in the tooth to be bothered with bragging, when I said I know what I'm doing I mean I know what I'm doing, and the last thing I am is a noob or newbie . . . been around computer gaming since before the windows platform was even a twinkle in the eye.

I sent a support ticket and it is a known bug with the reflex mod, removed it and walked the test, and the following one with melee.

I understand that these tests are more about feedback for the creators, but that only serves to support my argument that there is no place for it in the game as part of the game.

However, as a long term participant, and full member, with pcars I'm well into this new concept of no publishers as such with developers and players being the mainstay, such a refreshing concept.

Personally, I think the game is sheer genius with flawless quality and am perfectly happy with having contributed £92 for a master founder rank and extra platinum.

I'm a mod/admin on the Assiemodis Gaming Site and this game has grabbed us big time, just like games years ago would, the kind of game you just can't put down.

Thanks for the help, guys, I always eventually get to where I've pointed my bow . . .

PS. I'm a gold initiate in the game so why isn't that up in the forum . . .do you think I should send a support ticket, lol . .although I would appreciate someone letting me know how to get my Master's badge up ?

Edited by CaptainEras

This comes across as some sort of ego trip for the nerd who dreamt it up.

I think thats the point honestly. Elitism is really big in games like this and people get off on being better than others. I've only done the first test which was really easy, but it would not surprise me at all if the later ones were really hard, but skilled players deny it because other people having a hard time with it and getting frustrated gives them a smug satisfaction. I agree that games should be fun and not an endurance contest, but I don't think you'd find too many others. I'd bet that the biggest supporters of this game play it way more than people like I do and DE is going to make the game suit them more, its only logical. Kind of like with the recent event, with most people saying 100 5 minute missions is easy to do. For me though it takes 10 minutes usually, and thats if I neglect everything but the mission objective. Thats not how I like to play, it turns it into a grind and becomes very mundane very quickly for me. I'm in the minority though, and things like that aren't going to change I think. Most people like really being tested for their next rank.

Edited by FlyDungas

I think thats the point honestly. Elitism is really big in games like this and people get off on being better than others. I've only done the first test which was really easy, but it would not surprise me at all if the later ones were really hard, but skilled players deny it because other people having a hard time with it and getting frustrated gives them a smug satisfaction. I agree that games should be fun and not an endurance contest, but I don't think you'd find too many others. I'd bet that the biggest supporters of this game play it way more than people like I do and DE is going to make the game suit them more, its only logical. Kind of like with the recent event, with most people saying 100 5 minute missions is easy to do. For me though it takes 10 minutes usually, and thats if I neglect everything but the mission objective. Thats not how I like to play, it turns it into a grind and becomes very mundane very quickly for me. I'm in the minority though, and things like that aren't going to change I think. Most people like really being tested for their next rank.

We seem to be on the same page. In all the games I play it sort of annoys others if I don't keep up but I'm a graphical eye candy guy, I don't want to rush through everything.

If I go "online" all I get are guys who are on a bum's rush to get the mission completed as fast as possible . . .with the guys on our gaming site I get the complete opposite with everything having to be collected, and we are very methodically building a dojo.

So when I play solo I take my time, I like to take in everything, if I see the way I'm supposed to go I go somewhere else. I'll deliberately go to level up weak weapons so I'm right on the cusp of surviving the mission. I'll balance a tough frame with weak weapons and weak frame with tough weapons.

In BF3 I was in the top -1% with tanks . .so what, some will take that as a boast, it's not, it's a meaningless fact for my satisfaction only, but I do understand your remarks and have run into a few unsavoury characters who live by their stats.

Taking on the infested SOLO in ORO on Earth is a damn site harder than the silly little melee test to go from 2 to 3  and I've done that one numerous times and never failed, also have done much harder ones in solo and succeed, like Sycorax on Uranus, solo. . .against that you tell me what they learn from the level up melee test when there is no comparison in skill required ? surely they can't imagine the majority playing the game struggle to reach that very low level ? it wouldn't make any sense when you look at how much more difficult the game is and the amount of people advancing through it.

Like I said, I do understand that the test is only information collecting but it comes across as a very infantile addition to an otherwise very clever and polished game.

There is a points ranking up system so no test between levels is needed, it's overkill and collected information is not very important when the creators can see where everyone is in the rankings by their rank, that provides all they need to know.

Edited by CaptainEras

Here's a bit of boasting, took down Var in solo with Rhino only on level 10 . . now on level 4 but still haven't worked out how to update my avatar or get my master badge up ?

solo'd every boss with rhino.

to change avatar: ingame top right corner where your name is click on the image. You have 4 preselects to get addidtional avatars you have to buy them from the market with platinum.

elaborate on the mastery badge?

Here's a bit of boasting, took down Var in solo with Rhino only on level 10 . . now on level 4 but still haven't worked out how to update my avatar or get my master badge up ?

To get your Founder badge to show on the forums you need to log out and back in. That normally fixes it.

<snip>

PS. I'm a gold initiate in the game so why isn't that up in the forum . . .do you think I should send a support ticket, lol . .although I would appreciate someone letting me know how to get my Master's badge up ?

The initiate thing on the forums above your avatar is different from the initiate thing in game. The one on the forums (I believe) is tied to your post count.

solo'd every boss with rhino.

to change avatar: ingame top right corner where your name is click on the image. You have 4 preselects to get addidtional avatars you have to buy them from the market with platinum.

elaborate on the mastery badge?

Yes, but what was your rank ? . .friends with Rhino on 30 have also done all the bosses . . .  but it's ok, I'm used to having my attempts at kudos blasted out of the sky, lol . . .

Thanks for help, guys . .

• 4 weeks later...

I have read from a number of different sources how the interactive cut scenes, like in Tomb Raider and Far Cry 3,  are hated by the majority of gamers and I'll add these infantile level up tests to that assessment.

They are not needed and disrupt the natural flow of a game.

I do level 7 every now and then but have such little enthusiasm for this brand of crap I'll probably never achieve passing it, but that's the whole point . . . I couldn't give a f*ck . .

Brilliant game with some not needed brilliant crap . . .