Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Modding melee weapons you still need to rank up.

Accepted_101

Question

Im hoping that some one can provide a guide as to what mods are best for melee weapons in general or even all weapons in general for equipment that isn't maxed out (meaning not lv30, not having reactor potatoe, or any forma). For instance is it better to have basic damage types (i.e. impact puncture slash) over elemental types (i.e. heat, blast, viral ect.,) or to focus on other types of mods all together like crit, damage, reach or attack speed?

I know that when selecting a loadout its really important to be mindful of your enemies specific weaknesses and when moding the trick is taking advantage of the weapons natural strengths like impact with fragor or slash with tatsu but in general is there a way to tier what mods work best for most melee weapons. For at least melee weapons or all weapons if even possible. 

If you absolutely need a specific weapon to use for generalization take a weapon like the Jaw sword that has an extra non riven but weapon specific mod like blade of truth. When selecting what mods I'm grabbing at an unranked weapon i realize that mastery now plays a large roll. So assume a MR of 30 just to make things simple, or answer the question based on the MR 5, to 25 by 5's additionally (or at least MR10 and 20).

To make the question simpler I currently have the Jaw sword unranked at MR22 with capacity 32 with iron pheonix, primmed preassure point maxed, spoiled strike maxed, and blade of truth maxed. and I have 4 extra space, with PPP in the madurai slot. When i replace blade of truth with rendering strike the total damage goes up but this doesn't seem like it works better. And what would go best in the the extra 4 space sundering strike? blood rush? or melee prowess?

8 answers to this question

Not let you deceive by high numbers. 

What you need or what i can recommend is Condition Overload, Blood Rush, Prime Reach, Berserker, Organ Shatter and Weeping Wounds as Base.

You want Corrosiv, take Prime Feverstrike and Shocking Touch for example.

Or go Viral. Depending on what you want or what Fraktion you are fighting, you can choose what you want. 

Jaw Sword is realy good as a Stat Stick for Gara or Atlas if you not have a good Riven because the Sydicate Mod imo. But for using it as a Meele....yeah  

If you want a realy strong Weapon, take a Zaw or farm Guandao Prime. 

Its realy strong and brings some fun. 

I stick with some Zaws, play the Pangoline Prime too, Jat Kusar (and some others who are in the Vault, so its not helping you).

2 hours ago, Accepted_101 said:

primmed preassure point maxed, spoiled strike maxed, and blade of truth maxed

You really don't need / shouldn't use 3 sources of +damage, that gives diminishing returns,
i.e. less overall compared to e.g. using elemental damage in combination with +damage.

Also, making your Melee slower (via Spoiled Strike) is rarely a great idea in any case,
I'd rather up my Attack Speed to get an increase in both DPS as well as Status infliction rate (which will further increase DPS).

Try to get Vicious Frost (and Volcanic Edge while you're at it) from low-tier Spy missions,
to allow you, for a managable Capacity cost, to make Viral (plus Heat) and add Status Chance at the same time,
which works pretty nicely in general, and especially so on Slash-y weapons.

I rank up one weapon at a time, so i just slap base damage mod and never pull them out until they hit decent mod capacity.

There are plenty of ways to quickly rank up weapons even without using them, such as sanctuary onslaught using frames that kills with abilities, or even railjack.

So if my initial impressions are bad, I won't bother making them good.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but food for thoughts.

12 hours ago, (PSN)eXe-mplar said:

"What you need or what i can recommend is Condition Overload, Blood Rush, Prime Reach, Berserker, Organ Shatter and Weeping Wounds as Base.

You want Corrosiv, take Prime Feverstrike and Shocking Touch for example.

Or go Viral. Depending on what you want or what Fraktion you are fighting, you can choose what you want....

If you want a realy strong Weapon, take a Zaw or farm Guandao Prime....

I stick with some Zaws, play the Pangoline Prime too, Jat Kusar (and some others who are in the Vault, so its not helping you)."

Thank you eXe-mplar, I appreciate the weapon recommendations. Could you go into al little more detail about you base mods and when to go with mods for certain faction?

4 hours ago, Soy77 said:

I rank up one weapon at a time, so i just slap base damage mod and never pull them out until they hit decent mod capacity.

There are plenty of ways to quickly rank up weapons even without using them, such as sanctuary onslaught using frames that kills with abilities, or even railjack.

So if my initial impressions are bad, I won't bother making them good.

Probably doesn't answer your question, but food for thoughts.

So basically the real answer is don't even use weapon you are still ranking. Until you can invest into the finished product (i.e. maxed with potato and forma whatever.)

Well.... Naturally your MR is going to determine how many Mods you can Slap on Rank 0 Weapons....

In any case when I want farm MR I normally just use Nova so I can speed up Defense Farm Squads....

However another option is to use Chroma's Vex Armor... Unlike Rhino's Roar or Mirage's Eclipse... Vex Armor doesn't apply it's before after all the weapon Damage is calculated.... It applies it's Damage Buff in the same way Serration/Hornet Strike/Point Blank/Pressure Point do.... Hence why Chroma doesn't need to use these mods on his weapons since Vex Armor's Fury is like having 5 of those mods on simultaneously.

This leaves you with plenty of Room to add an Elements and if you are lucky... Crit Mods.

Again... It depends on whatever bonus you have in your Starting Base Capacity.... 

BTW Octavia Amp works the same way..

5 hours ago, Accepted_101 said:

So basically the real answer is don't even use weapon you are still ranking. Until you can invest into the finished product (i.e. maxed with potato and forma whatever.)

In a way, yeah.

Personally i don't rate a weapon per"how strong it is", but by how good it feels. You know... the combo, speed, unique mechanics, how the bullets fly, etc.

So if they feel bad, I'll max them on s.o in like 10 minutes then toss em away. If they feel good, I'll take my time ranking em, probably use em here and there. If they're still good on max rank with proper mods, then I'll start thinking about investing potatoes, formas, etc.

Imho there are just too many weapons in warframe for me to put extra efforts into each and every one of them. So i just do it for the good ones.

Am 16.1.2021 um 21:14 schrieb Accepted_101:

Thank you eXe-mplar, I appreciate the weapon recommendations. Could you go into al little more detail about you base mods and when to go with mods for certain faction?

Like i say:

What you need or what i can recommend is Condition Overload, Blood Rush, Prime Reach, Berserker, Organ Shatter and Weeping Wounds as Base.

Viral/ Viral and Spash combo helps will al Factions. 

Like Silva & Aegis, who have no IPS, i play it on Viral and Heat (Heat is on the Weapon).

Toxic is great for Corpus (bypass Shield), Corrosive is for Grineer. 

Slash bypass Armor. Not great, but the Status Effect (Slash) is what makes it great (deals true Damage).

Using a Kuva Nukor for different Status Effects helps even more. 

Archived