Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New war and sentient forces

Oggyswe

so am i the only one thats been thinking about how massive a force the sentients should have amassed during the centuries or even millenia sinces the old war.

just looked up some things about war production from ww2 and its insane how much they built for just being countries.

then imagine that the sentients with their way of building and also originally being builders and having access to the entirety of Tau cetis planets.

the war thats coming is going to be unwinable for us. we will be outnumbered by the millions.

10 minutes ago, Oggyswe said:

the war thats coming is going to be unwinable for us. we will be outnumbered by the millions.

Meeh.

If Napoleon has learned something in the trip to Moskva, even having a ridiculous amount of troops is pointless if the objective is too far away.

(An absolute strategic imbecil might have learned the same lesson about eighty years ago, but I do not lower myself).

And you know what's standing between Tau, where there's probably millions of sentients, and us? Why, a realm of non-space that is actually poisonous to the Sentients.

Probably less than you'd think.

For one, the only sentients we know are gunning for us are those already in-system. The Sentient's in Tau have been suspiciously absent. It's entirely possible we've just been dealing with the equivilant of a cult this whole time - likely, even, since Ballas appears to be at least somewhat pulling the strings.

Those in-system are unable to breed, and as Sentients are grown, not built, that heavily reduces their ability to create new forces. Whilst they've apparently figured out a way to overcome that weakness, it's doubtless a much-inferior one to their original means, and apparently requires 'harvesting' Grineer or Corpus ships, which they'd have to keep to a comparative low to keep a lower profile (since the Factions, and from there, we would notice pretty fast)

7 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

And you know what's standing between Tau, where there's probably millions of sentients, and us? Why, a realm of non-space that is actually poisonous to the Sentients.

Technically that is incorrect. While the Void is toxic to Sentients, it is not a physical location in realspace, but an alternate plane of existence used as an FTL shortcut (think Slipspace in Halo, or the Warp in Warhammer 40K) to make travel times between locations of importance more reasonable.

There's no hard obstacle preventing Sentients from slow-boating their way back from Tau to Origin, aside from the time taken. To give an idea of how long it takes to go between stars, travelling to Proxima Centauri (the closest star to Sol) would take four years of constant travel even if you were going at the speed of light for the entire journey.

51 minutes ago, Corvid said:

it is not a physical location in realspace

Which is why I said "a realm of non-space".

Thanks for trying anyway.

53 minutes ago, Corvid said:

There's no hard obstacle preventing Sentients from slow-boating their way back from Tau to Origin, aside from the time taken

There is no proof that the Sentient have ever tried this, though, despite the required time being relatively reasonable.

No idea as to why except "plot-related reasons".

3 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

There is no proof that the Sentient have ever tried this, though, despite the required time being relatively reasonable.

No idea as to why except "plot-related reasons".

well since the time span between the old war and the new war is so great for them going through deep space is nothing timewise.

1 hour ago, Dhrekr said:

Which is why I said "a realm of non-space".

Thanks for trying anyway.

You were acting as though it were a hard barrier that keeps the Sentients away. Considering that other players have made that mistake before on these fora, I felt it best to clarify.

No need to be antagonistic.

4 hours ago, Oggyswe said:

just looked up some things about war production from ww2 and its insane how much they built for just being countries.

impressive isn't it? nothing gives factory production lines a kick up the a$$ like all out war. it was truly a concerted effort where everyone - military and civilian alike - had to play their part.

Sentient's should by rights have a LOT of units, but numbers only get you so far; tactics are important, and using Orphixes to disable our warframes was smart... but they didn't count on necramechs being usable. curious as to what other weapons they have up their sleeves..

vor 4 Stunden schrieb (XBOX)C11H22O11:

Even outnumbered a single Tenno is worth thousands of sentients so we're fine in that front

Nah depends on the sentient kind. I would bet that 20 lv.150 Concolyst sentients per tenno are enough to beat 99% of all tennos. But the other 1% will be enough to stop them. XD

1 hour ago, Corvid said:

You were acting as though it were a hard barrier that keeps the Sentients away.

I see that you practice misinterpreting like an olimpic discipline.

The word "standing", which probably caused you lots of confusion, was used in my first intervention in a so-called "figurative way". As in, when I write "what stands between an army and their goal is C", C doesn't have to be strictly a place. It can be an opposing army, a political decision, a logistical difficulty, and so on and so forth. Even abstract terms.

And anyone who answer "this is technically incorrect, you said C stands between the army and their goal but C isn't a place" is just either failing at the easiest figurative speech, or just wants to correct people without adding anything of worth to the discussion.

1 hour ago, _Euphoria_ said:

As far as I know sentients lost their ability to reproduce, that’s why they are so few in numbers

The Sentient who stayed in Tau haven't lost their ability to reproduce - that was the idea: they would be able to reproduce in Tau, but unable to leave.

And I do not think that the Sentient sent 100% of their people to the War.

25 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

The Sentient who stayed in Tau haven't lost their ability to reproduce - that was the idea: they would be able to reproduce in Tau, but unable to leave.

And I do not think that the Sentient sent 100% of their people to the War.

from what i understood the forces we meet in scarletspear were brought from tau by erra

Well, the Sentients are obviously sentient (ba-dum-tish), so it is exceedingly doubtful their entire civilization is hell-bent on wiping out humanity. Especially as they have already succeeded in destroying their oppressors, namely the Orokin Empire. The fact they didn't press on, or sent a second wave to finish off humanity sort of proves it.

It takes a certain kind of fanatic to think making the jump from Tau Ceti to Sol, losing your capacity for reproduction in the process, to wage a war which ended who knows how many millennia ago. Of course, such a time-span is enough for civilizations to rise and fall, splinter or radically transform. So, who or what is behind this New War is still up in the air.

Could be some lunatic religious sect, or perhaps there is some great calamity, like sun going supernova or an invasion by an as of yet unknown new enemy in Tau Ceti that forces them to return home. Anyway, there are some interesting questions surrounding the issue of why they are here again and what their goals are.

1 hour ago, Angwah said:

Well, the Sentients are obviously sentient (ba-dum-tish), so it is exceedingly doubtful their entire civilization is hell-bent on wiping out humanity. Especially as they have already succeeded in destroying their oppressors, namely the Orokin Empire. The fact they didn't press on, or sent a second wave to finish off humanity sort of proves it.

It takes a certain kind of fanatic to think making the jump from Tau Ceti to Sol, losing your capacity for reproduction in the process, to wage a war which ended who knows how many millennia ago. Of course, such a time-span is enough for civilizations to rise and fall, splinter or radically transform. So, who or what is behind this New War is still up in the air.

Could be some lunatic religious sect, or perhaps there is some great calamity, like sun going supernova or an invasion by an as of yet unknown new enemy in Tau Ceti that forces them to return home. Anyway, there are some interesting questions surrounding the issue of why they are here again and what their goals are.

We even have multiple indications of dissent in the Sentient's ranks. Of course there's Natah, but there's also the Eidolon.

We know that Ballas and Hunhow's plan - lull the Orokin into a false sense of security by faking Hunhow's death. Natah then gets the Tenno to destroy the Orokin, wakes her father, and they send a signal that Origin is open. The last two steps never happen, of course, but any Sentients on board would have been waiting for the signal that never came.

And yet: "In the dying days of the Orokin, with forums and promenades still blood-wet from Tenno betrayal, a colossal Sentient descended upon ancient Er, falling from distant stars to deliver upon Orokin a terrible and final ruin." from the Gara legend.

A Sentient broke ranks. Just one - it wasn't the full second wave invasion, it wasn't responding to any signal - a Sentient got into a blood rage and decided it wanted to go on a rampage in Origin. If it had shown up a little earlier, it'd have completely trashed the final sequence, because the Orokin would be like "Whoop, Tenno ain't done, back to work you lot" instead of having their whole ceremony that allowed for the easy betrayal in the first place.

This can be taken as confirmation that Sentients have their own independent will - and secondarily, that all the Sentients that were in Origin were fanatics.

Archived