Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unspoken rules of Warframe: Beginner Player (Pre-TWW)

EdinaMonsoon

hi friends!

i'm thinking of making a youtube video about the unspoken rules of Warframe and its community, focusing on new players who are yet to unlock all of the content that comes with finishing The War Within. after you finish TWW, you gain access to fully functioning operator, sorties, liches etc so this is more directed at behaviour in standard missions/communication/frame behaviour etc

so i'm asking you guys, the community, of any unspoken rules you follow (or break lol) to make public gameplay experience a pleasure for everyone!

some examples that i already have noted down:

- purposely killing a Simaris target

- let players know if you're planning to leave after the current relic/SO zone

- be wary of your abilities if you've been radiation proc'd (especially Ash players)

- fishing/mining during a bounty without asking other players if it's okay

note: this is not an official gameplay rules topic! these are rules that, if you break them accidentally or purposely, you'll just be doing more damage to yourself within the community than risking a ban or official punishment

There is only one rule in public games: There are no rules. Of course, people should pay attention to obvious things that you mentioned, but if it doesn't hurt them, and/or benefits themselves, then everyone else in the team is just there to make it better for number one. You know, the usual.

4 minutes ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

hi friends!

i'm thinking of making a youtube video about the unspoken rules of Warframe and its community, focusing on new players who are yet to unlock all of the content that comes with finishing The War Within. after you finish TWW, you gain access to fully functioning operator, sorties, liches etc so this is more directed at behaviour in standard missions/communication/frame behaviour etc

so i'm asking you guys, the community, of any unspoken rules you follow (or break lol) to make public gameplay experience a pleasure for everyone!

- be wary of your abilities if you've been radiation proc'd (especially Ash players)

note: this is not an official gameplay rules topic! these are rules that, if you break them accidentally or purposely, you'll just be doing more damage to yourself within the community than risking a ban or official punishment

In same fashion someone could ask you not to use forums or set unoficial rule that you should not use forums at all ;)

I am killing simaris targets on purpose ALWAYS
I leave when i want and not when others know it well they will know when they see me in extracting
MY OW MY for me radiation hazard should be on every single sortie mesa saryn ember and whoever is unprepared is my target<3
I mine stones if i see mining node while doing bounty if im bored idk if that counts but thats what i do

And guess what? I never did any damage to myself doing it

The only thing for me is I like to tell new people about frost and limbo bubble if they are playing those frames.

Which always has to be polite and warm so they don't lose heart but to let them know they are going to have people raging at them and what the mechanics are exactly, what options they have with their abilities.

Similarly if people are low enough MR I assume I have to explain the map or mechanics, maybe give some game tips during the run, to welcome them to the game.

Outside that I mind my own business, even if people are afk, setting off spy alarms or whatever people get up to.

Assuming we are getting the map done I have no complaints about anything or anyone. I will solo a sortie with someone scanning flowers in the back it's all good.

I play as well as I can either which way so it's not less or more work for me.

And then recently I bought a shawzin for the times you have to wait at extraction so all good in the hood

51 minutes ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

New player: Hey, the game waypointed an enemy! Must be a special enemy I need to kill!

And no, Simaris doesn't necessarily pop up and say "You're hurting it, don't hurt it anymore!" if it's not your synthesis target (and for new players, it's probably not theirs!). This is a failure on Warframe's part.

And I say that as a former new player that went and tried to kill or killed synthesis targets before I even knew what synthesis targets were!

1 hour ago, nslay said:

New player: Hey, the game waypointed an enemy! Must be a special enemy I need to kill!

And no, Simaris doesn't necessarily pop up and say "You're hurting it, don't hurt it anymore!" if it's not your synthesis target (and for new players, it's probably not theirs!). This is a failure on Warframe's part.

And I say that as a former new player that went and tried to kill or killed synthesis targets before I even knew what synthesis targets were!

they're quite tough to kill, especially for a new player and it doesn't take long to reach The New Strange quest so that's more pointed towards already knowing what Simaris targets are and still choosing to kill them

2 hours ago, EdinaMonsoon said:

hi friends!

Try to stay close to other people, even if they're doing a lot of the killing, it benefits you because any XP they gain, is also given to you. Don't be one of those people who are raging about kill stealing.

Try to build your first Sentinel ASAP and max out the Vacuum mod on it, you'll get a lot more of the drops, a lot faster. More resources and mods = easier time for new players.

A lot of us will try to revive you if you go down, don't just hit the respawn button when you get the prompt.

Open Relics, open as many as you can, as often as you can. You'll get a lot of parts, which you're going to need, and even the parts that nobody needs can easily be traded as Prime Junk for plat.

Don't waste your plat, don't rush things, don't just buy stuff because it looks cool, or because someone says it's good. Use that plat on slots, you're going to need them.

NEVER, EVER say anything in chat because someone says "free plat to anyone who says *******". They're trolling and you'll get banned.

When you need help, or want to understand something, tell us, most of the time, you'll find that there are people able and willing to lend a hand. People did it for us, and we're fine doing it for others too.

If you're in a fissure mission, do the fissure.  Don't be looking for caches, don't be trying to do your simaris target, don't be doing challenge rooms, just get your reactant, and let's all get our rewards.  If you're slower than everyone else, that's fine.  As long as it's clear you're making your way through the map gathering your reactant, many people will generally give you time to get enough.  If you're off in a random corner, or just doing nothing, then the rest of the group is well within their rights to just hop on extraction and give you a 60 second ultimatum.  Don't insult people when you don't get your rewards because you were off doing something other than the objective in a public fissure.

rule 1: never go public unless you're genuinely willing to accept random players who will likely hinder more than help you. don't be one of those clowns that expects everyone to obey their every whim even though you're all complete strangers who've never met until now.

rule 2: wait for everyone on the Elevator, unless someone is clearly not coming.

rule 3: waypoint gold mods and rare resources. I do this for people if I'm running with a group that's mostly MR8 or lower, because they usually are the ones needing these mods and resources the most.

rule 4: if stalker or another Assassin shows up, work together to fight it, you won't beat them easily otherwise.

rule 5: have fun!

1- During survival, stick around your teammates, it helps not spreading around spawns and their drops.

2- In spy missions, don't go for the same vault where another player is already going. It's useless. Let them do their thing and pick another vault.

3- In Lua Rescue, don't start hacking a prison cell panel if another player is in the process of hacking one themselves: if they get the right panel, chances are you'll overwrite the portal destination, losing time and probably the mission too.

4- Don't start multiple conduits in Disruption, especially at high levels.

5- In Relic Fissures, don't extract if there still people who didn't collect 10 reactants.

6- Don't rush the countdown before any mission, someone might still be preparing.

7- On console (I don't know what the situation is on pc) while in a pre made radshare, during the relic selection, don't mash square(ps) /X(xbox), you'd start the countdown and other people might not be ready yet. 

8- If you want to participate in a radshare, don't be the idiot that tries to fool everyone else by using the wrong relic and/or with an unrequested amount of traces.

9- Stop using Saryn and Mesa. 

1. Never trust anyone in public games. 

2. The mindset of public games is “carry or be carried”. Remember this to have a bearable pub experience.

2. Use the ignore function. If you see a player being rude towards you use that to shut their mouth. Don’t waste your time with them.

3. Stay away from Region Chat if you don’t want your chat privileges to be revoked.

4. Stay away from Riven Mods. They are a slot machine madness and can be addicting.

5. Do not progress in Free Roam syndicates until you have completed the star chart. They are meant for late game players.

6. Stay away from Railjack if you don’t have veteran friends or unmodded archwings and arch weapons. 

9 hours ago, (XBOX)C11H22O11 said:

Practice spy without ciphers learn the shortcuts before doing the sortie ones(solo recommended cause public can be...risky)

risky is an understatement, just don't do pub spy lol. Solo is way better, if you fail then you only have yourself to blame then

30 minutes ago, (PSN)Wolf_von_Saturn said:

We also do NOT talk about or use "Focus" abilities when playing with new players that have yet to complete the 2nd dream quest.

i'll add to that, don't use subsumed abilities around new players. i had a nidus ask me why my protea  had his larva 😆

Il y a 12 heures, EdinaMonsoon a dit :

You don't need to ask, because anything more than a single mineral/fish between two bounty stages is never ok.

You don't ask, you simply don't. 

If I get the chance, I will drop the mighty host migration on anyone I see fishing while I'm doing the work.

• don't talk about anything after the second dream to new players who haven't got operators on their profile
  • wait for everyone on elevators unless somebody need to be taught a lesson on "don't make your teammates wait"
  • don't make your teammates wait. do whatever you can to contribute to the mission, whatever the mission is. if it's void fissure, then open your dam fissure. if it's defense then whoop some enemies and don't fish or mine. just, you know.. try to be a functional social creature and not an ashat.

pretty random huh? i know. but i can vouch for those.

Play solo, you'll have more fun and won't have to deal with the list of unspoken rules being made here.

If you absolutely must play in a group, and you don't have friends from outside the game, (meaning you're resorting to the last ditch effort of making a public group), because you don't have the mods/strength to get past a certain boss, or want to get an Interception or Disruption node out of the way, tag along with the strong members and try to keep up. Usually, a single veteran player can solo any mission, so as long as you're not holding them back at a "friendship door", or extraction, they won't even notice what you're doing or not doing.

My own personal additions: 

1) Hold the elevator. 
I am incredibly petty about this one, and I will make you wait out the entire extraction timer if I'm a second behind you and you slam the elevator button before I or the rest of the team can get in. Unless someone is CLEARLY not coming (which is also... differently rude), hold the damn elevator. 

2) Don't "Leave Group" as the Host of an Open-World mission. 
It's rude to dump your team into a "host migration" screen because you needed to get back into Cetus to mindlessly stare at Konzu 45 seconds faster than if you waited to extract with your team. Similarly, its' polite to let your team know during a Sanctuary Onslaught or similar mission that you are leaving BEFORE the portal/wave/whatever starts and you just mysteriously vanish and chuck everyone into a "host migration" screen. 

3) Turn off your @#$& Microphone. 
This is hardly Warframe specific, but mute your microphone until you have something semi-intelligent to say. I'm old and grumpy and I'd prefer not to hear you speak at all, but I understand that not everyone is proficient with or even using a Keyboard, so at very least have the common courtesy not to subject your group to the harmonic noises of you committing a war crime to a bag of potato chips while I'm trying to unwind after work. 

4) Sorties are not the time to learn Spy Missions. 
This is so bad that I will usually disband from my group if there is a Spy Mission to run it solo, but I dream of a world where people who join the Spy Sortie practice the puzzle before joining up with a group and fail it immediately. If you know you are bad at Spy Missions I am usually happy to carry you through it, but please don't use the Sortie as the time to try to "figure it out". You will fail and annoy your group, I promise you. 

5) Mind your Crowd Control in Defense Missions. 
This one goes out to all you Slow Nova's specifically, but there are other frames who can be guilty of this as well. Generally speaking, most people doing "Defense" style missions are not going to find them so overwhelming that every enemy on the map needs to be slowed down to 25% of their initial velocity, and in fact we would prefer to be able to grind the rewards of these missions as quickly and efficiently as possible. Unless the objective *is* being overwhelmed, understand that there is a time and a place for crowd control. 

6) Don't be a Leech
Don't join a mission and then refuse to make progress towards (or actively hinder) the mission. This can take many forms, so here's a few examples. DON'T run off somewhere to go fishing/mining, or spend the entire time showing off how well you can solo an Eidolon (nobody is impressed) during a bounty mission. DON'T decide you need to solo the entire Grineer Armada while your team waits for you at extraction. DON'T rush to extraction and AFK while you ignore the actual mission objective and expect your team to just do it for you. DON'T join a mission and then think I won't notice you AFK jiggling at spawn or near the defense objective. I'm not expecting a new player to solo level 150 Grineer with an MK-1 Skana, and I'm generally happy to "carry" someone through a mission if they bit off more than they were ready for, but I'm also not up for being blatantly used to farm gear for you while you watch TV or browse reddit. Show me that you are actively working towards the mission objective and I am happy to play with you. 

7) Don't be a Jerk. 
I'm being satirical here in my post, but in game try not to assume the worst in someone even if they do break one of these rules or another rule in the thread. Sometimes new players don't know what they're doing, sometimes they're someones kid who is just messing around and isn't going to understand social norms of politeness or that they're even being rude. Give people the benefit of the doubt, and try to be polite in your corrections. 

8) Don't be Limbo. 
You know what you did, you Monster. 

Pay attention if someone is typing something in chat - he may want to help you , guide you or give you a tip about something.There are times when people listen to polite conversation, but there are many(from mr2 to mr15-20) when they don't listen or don't see it at all. Example - many times I say to newer tenno to not self-res and I will revive them because they will loose the affinity gained, they will die for good(if I see it's a harder mission for them), but they still do and extract long before it's needed even for them.Sometimes they listen and the mission goes smoothly.
Another example for survivals - I try to explain sometimes why staying in a room is the better way(without the "ree, stay here scrub" that some tenno use), not sit in a corner but at least in one room(better for spawns, buffs, drops etc). The good thing about this is that it's way more uncommon to do so in the last half year. I don't know what changed but most people now are fairly comfortable in one room and don't urge to be a hallway hero.

Learn how to talk to people politely if you want something and never beg for plat(people either paid for their plat or got it trough farming and a lot of time sometimes) or rare items that you know are valuable. That said you can always ask for something because some people have hundreds-thousands of some items/mods that you may find hard to farm at your current level and if they are anything like me they will give it to you free(I try to give as much as possible, because long ago I was helped a couple of times without even asking). If you are a f degenerate and talk trash tho, no one will give you even a "Warm Coat" free. 

tl;dr be a normal well adjusted communicative tenno, so you could be the best mass murdering biomechanical gore inducing little thing in the warframe universe. glhf

23 minutes ago, Acos said:

8) Don't be Limbo. 
You know what you did, you Monster. 

e0fa15d183dbc4e6d4d55f8c6a6d29e5.gif

Archived